Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

dotalchemy posted:

Heh, I actually work in IT Ops, so my chair is a hand-me-down from those artists who are killing the industry and brand name soda requires leaving the basement, which us neckbeard root's are not allowed to do.

Don't even get me started on the state of our departments pinball machine :(

But look on the bright side, free air conditioning in the server room!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Hello everybody... I'm a 2D artist moving into 3D. I've always wanted to make models and do animations and stuff and right now I'm in a course for game art. I've never used 3D before but I've always been intrigued by the intricate models people produce in Zbrush so I thought I'd give it a try. For the past couple days I've been sucking down loads of tutorials to try and help me to not feel as if I'm just staring at what may as well be a cockpit with loads of switches and dials.

I found a tutorial I'd like to follow, which can be found here.

Please help, I'm having some really confusing problems and it is making me very sad. :(

This fellow is setting up some planes on which to load his references as textures and begin laying down a Zsphere armature to sculpt on. The tutorial is very informative and I've learned quite a bit. I really just want to get sculpting a bit so the fact that the later videos are pay only doesn't bother me.

I've followed this tutorial step by step to the number. He goes to the simple tools thingy and draws in a 3D Plane. He chooses Edit. He turns on Floor, and Perspective. He goes to Deformations, ups size by 100, then another 50. Since he wants the actual model to be at the Origin, he shunts the Plane back on the Z axis by 100 3 times. He then goes to Subtools. Renames the Plane Front View. Duplicates the object, names the duplicate Side View. With Side View selected, he goes into Deformations again, sets Rotate to the Y axis and types for the plane to move exactly 90 degrees. Hooray! A cute little corner a nice distance from the Origin.

So what the gently caress is this:

The view on the left is my screen. The view on the right is my second monitor with the tutorial video open to what should be happening.

If I don't shunt the first plane and just duplicate the plane right away and rotate the new one, it forms a nice happy X of planes on my Origin.

What the hell am I doing wrong? :gonk: I'm so frustrated I could cry! Thanks immeasurably if anybody can/will help.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

That's an old way of doing image planes. In 4R4 you can go into Edit mode on a a tool, click the little X-Y-Z letters on the Floor Grid button to turn on the other axes, then go into the Draw menu up top and there are options for loading image planes directly onto the grid.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So this might seem like a stupid question, but here goes:

I'm making a short film in Maya. I have the scene in one file and the rigged character in another. How do I get the rigged character into the scene? Do I just copy and paste? The seems a little risky, because sometimes copying something from another file messes around with the order of things in the Outliner. Is there some other way to import a rigged character into a scene?

Thanks in advance!

Edit- Also, how many polygons is too many for a scene in Maya? I'm looking at possibly around a million all together. Is that too much?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've had zbrush models in that were ~4 million polys. Usually, it isn't the polygons that chunk the system, but it's the complicated poo poo like multiple skinned rigs and such.

I believe one of the best ways to go about scene management is through referencing. I'd look that up. Also, look up layers for Maya as you'll be able to shove all of your unnecessary scenery and such into layers and turn their visibility to ghost or off to save resources.

Also, look up proxy models for animation if your actors are really high res. The pros work a proxy model into the rig with visibility switches for the proxy and the screen models so you can animate with a low poly model and switch to the high res for render.

Sorry I can't help more directly. My uni program was film-based so I picked up a bunch of that stuff, but I switched emphasis to games before too long so I kinda unplugged from all that.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

Ccs posted:

I'm making a short film in Maya. I have the scene in one file and the rigged character in another. How do I get the rigged character into the scene? Do I just copy and paste? The seems a little risky, because sometimes copying something from another file messes around with the order of things in the Outliner. Is there some other way to import a rigged character into a scene?

Thanks in advance!

Edit- Also, how many polygons is too many for a scene in Maya? I'm looking at possibly around a million all together. Is that too much?

In Maya you can just import scene files (.MA), and it'll import perfectly. If you have one scene with all of your stuff in it, and just the character in the other scene, open up your main environment file and just File->Import and import the characters .MA file. It'll import any layers you have also.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ccs posted:

Thanks in advance!

either import or use the reference editor to reference it in. This lets you make changes in the base rig file that will propagate to the scene file.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
This poo poo is taking forever.

Hopefully it'll be worth it when it's a little HTML5 video on the front of my portfolio looking at all my other stuff.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks a bunch for the help guys! :)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
This seems like such a remedial thing I'm unsure about asking, but here goes.

I'm making my character and I've built him in a t-pose, so arms at right-angles to the body, and legs parted a bit, is that right? I see sometimes the arms are more 45 degrees from the body, do the limb positions matter, or is it all good so long as they aren't at the side of the body. If I had to guess, the difference is in sculpting the shoulders and the way they will deform when animated, is that right?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

This seems like such a remedial thing I'm unsure about asking, but here goes.

I'm making my character and I've built him in a t-pose, so arms at right-angles to the body, and legs parted a bit, is that right? I see sometimes the arms are more 45 degrees from the body, do the limb positions matter, or is it all good so long as they aren't at the side of the body. If I had to guess, the difference is in sculpting the shoulders and the way they will deform when animated, is that right?

'Right' is subjective. Our auto-rigger script at work demands a 90 degree T-pose(and robots made of tons of discrete elements don't have to worry about shoulder deformation anyway) but 45 degrees, for organic models at least, makes for more natural modeling and deformation later.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The T-pose just seems bad for properly modelling out organic shoulders. Cloth, muscles, drapery etc. are easier to judge and model at a relaxed 45 degree angle. Of course you can just model that way and do a quick rig to put it in T-pose if software requires it though.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Sigma-X posted:

either import or use the reference editor to reference it in. This lets you make changes in the base rig file that will propagate to the scene file.

I've noticed that referenced objects can start behaving in an odd fashion come render time, especially when paired with Maya's render layers (which themselves can get unstable if you don't handle them properly). I had one small project where file textures from a referenced file would only render locally, not via a Backburner network. :iiam:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got some holidays so I've had some time to put towards this project I've been working on.

The subject is loosely based on Pablo Casals but I didn't really try to get the likeness prefect, it was more about using his face for reference

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

uglynoodles posted:

Hello everybody... I'm a 2D artist moving into 3D. I've always wanted to make models and do animations and stuff and right now I'm in a course for game art. I've never used 3D before but I've always been intrigued by the intricate models people produce in Zbrush so I thought I'd give it a try. For the past couple days I've been sucking down loads of tutorials to try and help me to not feel as if I'm just staring at what may as well be a cockpit with loads of switches and dials.

Don't stress out over creating those image planes. Just build your base mesh out like in the video because you can use the Move brush and the Transpose tools to fix the proportions as you go along. Also, don't worry about that Group Loop operation he did because it's just a way to minimize the amount of overall geometry he'll need later on; it's not essential.

If you're going through Zbrush for the first time, I'd suggest you get some reference books to help you out. Introducing Zbrush (whatever version you have) will cover every aspect of the program from sculpting to polypainting. Another good one for sculpting is Zbrush Digital Sculpting: Human Anatomy by Scott Spencer. Both books have supplemental CD's with videos that can help out if you're having problems understanding what the still images in the text are showing.

Don't get discouraged with Zbrush. It looks overwhelming at first glance but once you understand how to navigate in 3D and the purpose of each element of the UI then you can start having fun.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

I got some holidays so I've had some time to put towards this project I've been working on.

The subject is loosely based on Pablo Casals but I didn't really try to get the likeness prefect, it was more about using his face for reference

I'm super impressed by this and really like how far you've come in four years!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

This is pretty great. Only critiques I'd have are that the face skin creases and folds appear a little... sculpt-y. Maybe some of the lines are too hard? I don't know. Also with a strong backlight like that, we'd have at least a little SSS in the ears. Just a tad.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

BonoMan posted:

This is pretty great. Only critiques I'd have are that the face skin creases and folds appear a little... sculpt-y. Maybe some of the lines are too hard? I don't know. Also with a strong backlight like that, we'd have at least a little SSS in the ears. Just a tad.

I think the sculpt looks good but I agree, some SSS would soften those wrinkles.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Now I understand why RandomControl cleaned up their blog and removed their forums. Arion2 is a loving farce. Without GPU acceleration, Maxwell beats the pants off it. I pity the suckers that got stuck on abandoned Fryrender.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, game industry friends, I'd like to get some opinions on this:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2252&Itemid=354

It's a demo of Houdini's procedural environment tools they're starting to demo for video game art generation. It's very intriguing and looks like something that might look good in a portfolio, but I wonder how many companies already have or would be willing to throw down for Houdini licenses.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Holy balls, that procedural environment thing looks amazing. Goddamn.

On a different note, does anyone have tips for how to skin a wrist in Maya so that the deformations look correct when the hand rotates up and down? Should I place some influence objects there to stop it from doing that? Or make a set-driven key? Or resort to blendshapes? Right now when I bend the wrist closer to 90 degrees up or down the volume implodes and looks awful.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'd be happy if Sidefx got cloth working properly.

They haven't in years, it sucks for actual character work and they'd sell more seats to big studios if they got a few issues fixed.

I know of at least 2 major studios that use ncloth via python in Houdini... :lol:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I downloaded Maya today to learn the basics as I only know Max and thought it would broaden my skill-set.

I didn't expect it to insult me!

I'm following the tips on the Startup window, but does anyone have any resource for people learning Maya who have decent experience with Max?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

concerned mom posted:

I downloaded Maya today to learn the basics as I only know Max and thought it would broaden my skill-set.

I'm following the tips on the Startup window, but does anyone have any resource for people learning Maya who have decent experience with Max?

Seconding this one. Also, that's hilarious!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

concerned mom posted:

Here's the tutorials I first used to get a basic grasp on Maya:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF3E8C00791AEC3F8

And here's another set of tutorials from a Danish guy that are pretty useful. His rigging tutorial is hard to follow though cause he makes a few mistakes.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PolyFacecom/videos?view=0

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

concerned mom posted:

Maya is a jerk and I still don't know wtf Complete Tool is supposed to be used for.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Something I'm working on at the moment.
The character is Brunhilde from the Wagner opera Der Ring des Nibelungen but it's become an anatomy study also. She will be holding a shield in her left hand and I'll try and do the full costume also.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Fantastic as usual dude! I must say I think her head is a little bit too large but it does seem to be part of your style so it's probably intended! Anyway I quite like that alteration, it means I can spot your work instantly and they all have a good feel about them. Keep it up!

derin
Apr 19, 2003
Turkish Superstar
I'm clearly terrible at 3d modelling. Can anyone tell me how I can cut a box with a mesh? I've been trying the last few hours to cut the purple box into two sections with the green surface with no luck. I'd like to then calculate the volume of each part. This seems like it should be simple but nothing seems to work. I tried using AutoCAD, 3dsMax and Rhino.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think you're talking about a boolean operation, it should be reasonably straight forward in most packages. In max you would select the box, go to the create panel and into compound objects and choose boolean, then choose the green object with subtraction selected, or something like that.

No respect I all I tell ya!

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

EoinCannon posted:

I think you're talking about a boolean operation, it should be reasonably straight forward in most packages. In max you would select the box, go to the create panel and into compound objects and choose boolean, then choose the green object with subtraction selected, or something like that.

These are insane, how are you cranking em out like this? The hair is obv a little rough but the proportions are perfect.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

derin posted:

I'm clearly terrible at 3d modelling. Can anyone tell me how I can cut a box with a mesh? I've been trying the last few hours to cut the purple box into two sections with the green surface with no luck. I'd like to then calculate the volume of each part. This seems like it should be simple but nothing seems to work. I tried using AutoCAD, 3dsMax and Rhino.

Your issue is that the typical methodology for cutting a mesh with another mesh is a boolean operation, which typically requires both boolean objects to be solid meshes without openings.

Assuming you're in Max, the easiest thing to do to make this work is grab the open edge of your terrain plane (select it and rightclick-collapse to editable poly and then press hotkey '3' to go into borders mode and press ctrl-a to select all), extrude it downwards (hotkey - hold shift and drag it down with the translate tool), and then cap the hole (drop a modifier - cap holes on it, or press the [cap holes] button in the editable poly object).

Now duplicate each object once since we want two end results.

Now you can use the ProBooleans (better than regular booleans - it gives a cleaner result) compound object, add the two shapes to it, and perform a subtraction to get the box top, and do an intersection on the second pair [make a new ProBoolean for this] to get the box bottom)

I have no idea how you calculate volume in Max or if it even supports that because that is never something I've had to do, but you can export those to AutoCAD which I would assume supports that kind of functionality.

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

Wow, thats really good... do you start with a bust mesh or with a standard sphere?

derin
Apr 19, 2003
Turkish Superstar

Sigma-X posted:

Your issue is that the typical methodology for cutting a mesh with another mesh is a boolean operation, which typically requires both boolean objects to be solid meshes without openings.

Assuming you're in Max, the easiest thing to do to make this work is grab the open edge of your terrain plane (select it and rightclick-collapse to editable poly and then press hotkey '3' to go into borders mode and press ctrl-a to select all), extrude it downwards (hotkey - hold shift and drag it down with the translate tool), and then cap the hole (drop a modifier - cap holes on it, or press the [cap holes] button in the editable poly object).

Now duplicate each object once since we want two end results.

Now you can use the ProBooleans (better than regular booleans - it gives a cleaner result) compound object, add the two shapes to it, and perform a subtraction to get the box top, and do an intersection on the second pair [make a new ProBoolean for this] to get the box bottom)

I have no idea how you calculate volume in Max or if it even supports that because that is never something I've had to do, but you can export those to AutoCAD which I would assume supports that kind of functionality.

Thanks, that helped a lot. Closing the object worked for a boolean with a similar thing I was doing. I also managed to do what I wanted I think with the ProCutter in 3d max, but it took a while and I'm not sure exactly what steps I took.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Beer Left posted:

Wow, thats really good... do you start with a bust mesh or with a standard sphere?

CHeers, This one one was done from a base mesh from some other model I was working on that had decent sculpting topology. Sometimes I start with a dynamesh to change things up and sculpt without any landmarks

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tried to do a kind of artsy render of my Cello man

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Awesome model and lighting there. The only thing that spoils it for me are the lips and sagging in the lower face, they look undefined and a little lumpy. The flat colored little fingernail jumped out in a closeup inspection, but on a full image not so much.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

EoinCannon posted:

Tried to do a kind of artsy render of my Cello man

You're a little heavy on the grain but fantastic anatomy and lighting!!

Speaking of lighting, here is a quick class demo from the first day of the term.

I went to the Derivative workshop at SideFX and it was love at first sight. I really want a midi trigger like the APC40 and do my best to compose stuff on the fly. Just not comfortable with CHOPs and expressions yet. It is a pretty far jump from mental ray settings to making nodal networks in Touch.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Taking a Maya class. My teacher is insisting that I connect all my intersecting meshes, including cylinders. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
To make them watertight?