Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
I'm not reading this thread since it has spoilers. However, my friend gave me all the books she has and I've been ripping through them as fast as my eyeballs can go. They're hokey, stupid, full of sarcastic humor from Harry (and occasionally Bob), page-turning-ly good action that never freaking stops, and I just love them because they're right up my alley. Oh, and they're absolutely chock-full of D&D ideas.

I really didn't like Fool Moon because while the plotline for the various categories of werewolf (especially the loup-garou) was rather creative, I just... didn't like the werewolves. They're not so bad when they show up in later books, though. Maybe I'm just tired of werewolves. :shrug:

Summer Knight was one of my favorites (until I read Dead Beat) simply because I love the whole twist that Butcher's put on the Faerie Courts. I'm pretty much planning to rip off this entire mythology wholesale for my next D&D game.

I just finished Dead Beat and it instantly turned into my favorite book of this series as soon as I read that Harry looked up at Sue in the museum (near the end) because I knew what was coming next and it promised to be badass, and Butcher didn't disappoint.

The one thing I don't like about this series is just how beat-up and close-to-death Harry comes in every single book, usually multiple times during the same book. He takes such a punishment and bounds back with ease, or runs out of mana and still finds more reserves to draw upon at a plot-critical point. At this rate, I'll be incredibly surprised if he actually does manage to die permanently (not like when Susan revived him in Blood Rites).

I hope Thomas makes it, but I have a suspicion he won't. :( I also want to know who Harry is going to give Shiro's cane-sword to!

Must read more. Must find missing books on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

daggerdragon posted:

I'm not reading this thread since it has spoilers. However, my friend gave me all the books she has and I've been ripping through them as fast as my eyeballs can go. They're hokey, stupid, full of sarcastic humor from Harry (and occasionally Bob), page-turning-ly good action that never freaking stops, and I just love them because they're right up my alley. Oh, and they're absolutely chock-full of D&D ideas.

I really didn't like Fool Moon because while the plotline for the various categories of werewolf (especially the loup-garou) was rather creative, I just... didn't like the werewolves. They're not so bad when they show up in later books, though. Maybe I'm just tired of werewolves. :shrug:

Summer Knight was one of my favorites (until I read Dead Beat) simply because I love the whole twist that Butcher's put on the Faerie Courts. I'm pretty much planning to rip off this entire mythology wholesale for my next D&D game.

I just finished Dead Beat and it instantly turned into my favorite book of this series as soon as I read that Harry looked up at Sue in the museum (near the end) because I knew what was coming next and it promised to be badass, and Butcher didn't disappoint.

The one thing I don't like about this series is just how beat-up and close-to-death Harry comes in every single book, usually multiple times during the same book. He takes such a punishment and bounds back with ease, or runs out of mana and still finds more reserves to draw upon at a plot-critical point. At this rate, I'll be incredibly surprised if he actually does manage to die permanently (not like when Susan revived him in Blood Rites).

I hope Thomas makes it, but I have a suspicion he won't. :( I also want to know who Harry is going to give Shiro's cane-sword to!

Haha, this guy. This guy, right here.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

daggerdragon posted:

You're my new favorite person. Even if you don't read the thread yet, I want you to post your thoughts after every book.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

You're my new favorite person. Even if you don't read the thread yet, I want you to post your thoughts after every book.

I'm seconding this. It is absolutely essential that you post your impressions of each book as you finish them. Absolutely essential.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Walker posted:

I'm seconding this. It is absolutely essential that you post your impressions of each book as you finish them. Absolutely essential.

I sent him a PM and he agreed to do it. :)

We had a guy do this in the last thread and it was a lot of fun. He would make all these crazy predictions about things like who gets a sword...it was pretty great. He had a pretty good track record too. He got more things right than wrong.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

We had a guy do this in the last thread and it was a lot of fun. He would make all these crazy predictions about things like who gets a sword...it was pretty great. He had a pretty good track record too. He got more things right than wrong.

Did you tell him about the Dresden Files RPG? He mentioned stealing the mythos for his next D&D game so he should at least check it out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yay we get another Newbie Dresden Rodeo! :neckbeard::dance:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Starting Proven Guilty tonight! :toot: I'll get back to you when I'm finished with it.

Also, I'm a girl. ;-*

ConfusedUs posted:

Butcher isn't M. Night Shyamalan, but he does throw a few curveballs here and there.

Clinton1011 posted:

Did you tell him about the Dresden Files RPG? He mentioned stealing the mythos for his next D&D game so he should at least check it out.

ORLY?! *Googles*

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

404GoonNotFound posted:

If there's one thing I really miss from the early books, it's the potion mixing scenes. What ever happened to those anyway? Hell, in Changes (IIRC) the Merlin shows up strapped for bear with two potion bandoliers and he still doesn't go into more detail about them.

They disappeared because they were essentially a giant Chekhovs gun / deus ex machina who's only purpose was to save harrys arse for one exact purpose later in the book / be a plot purpose. It's poor writing basically.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

daggerdragon posted:

Butcher isn't M. Night Shyamalan, but he does throw a few curveballs here and there.

What about him have two wizardry negative traits. One being him blowing ipods and game gears the other being his inability to lie about anything. From what we know wizards only suppose to have one of these negative traits and they change over time maybe his mom made a deal for him to have a space wizard magic power?

Though honestly I've only picked up on this on my latest re-read of the series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

daggerdragon posted:

ORLY?! *Googles*

The Dresden RPG is fantastic. The Fate system provides the best way to play a Dresden-style character that I can think of, and the sourcebooks themselves just ooze charm. Volume 2 even has a short story penned by Butcher himself that takes place in a town less than 10 minutes from my house.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tithin Melias posted:

They disappeared because they were essentially a giant Chekhovs gun / deus ex machina who's only purpose was to save harrys arse for one exact purpose later in the book / be a plot purpose. It's poor writing basically.
potions being mentioned once as deus ex machina is a bit of a stretch. A better example would be the Knights Showing Up for Harry, but then that is not so much sudden or contrived.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

I'm on Chapter 22 (Harry and Murphy meet a maybe-vampire Crane and his toady lawyer) and I'm bored. I keep waiting for something different to happen.

The big bad is a phobophage scaring people to death, metaphorically and literally, and the Winter Queen is gearing up to go after the Summer Court instead of focusing on the mutual threat that the Red Vampires trampled all over Faerie. You know, like they haven't been at war with each other for eons... I saw this plot point coming when Harry learns that Winter isn't doing anything while Summer is gearing up for war (and doing nothing too).

I have a suspicion that Thomas being weird has something to do with his new job... perhaps he's working incognito for the White Court?

Nelson still has some part to play. I'm not going so far as to say he's the one dredging up the phobophages, but it's not outside the realm of believability.

I'm aware they can't all be "riding the zombie dinosaur" levels of awesome, but this book is really coming across as a filler book. I'll shut up and read more.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Well that book I think was written as a way to keep the series going, so its purpose was to be crammed full of plot points and mysteries that would only be relevant in later books.

So yeah, kind of maybe a little forgettable.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Wow, Thomas, you're a cold-hearted bastard.

I like him. :allears:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I wish the books were new to me too :smith:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

wargames posted:

What about him have two wizardry negative traits. One being him blowing ipods and game gears the other being his inability to lie about anything.

That's not a wizard flaw, he's just a poo poo liar.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Oh god November 27th? I should have started my read-through later, I just finished a week ago.

Also I saw this posted in the cosplay thread in pyf, and it needs to be posted here cause goddamn it is awesome.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

... I change my vote. Lily now gets the Most Awesomest Person Ever award.
... no, the Gatekeeper.

... Michael! :swoon:

... Michael, seriously? You're telling Harry the only way to get rid of Lasciel is to give up his magical power? This is only book 7 out of what, 26, and it's titled The Dresden Files so obviously Harry keeps his power. No, I'm not metagaming, why do you ask?

Okay, now I'm just laughing my rear end off at "You'll go blind."

... back to Thomas :allears:

Say what you will, Butcher has a way around a happy ending that ties up all the loose threads while still leaving plenty dangling for cliffhangers. Example: Mouse is not a dog-dog. I'm interested in seeing what he really is.

Harry now has an apprentice. A female teenage apprentice who's in the exact same spot that he was when he was a teenage apprentice. This ought to be interesting.

I still have no clue who gets Shiro's sword, and it's bugging me. WHO GETS IT?!?! I really like the lore behind Amoracchius likely being Excalibur, though. That's a pretty neat tie-in to Arthurian mythology.

All right, the book came out satisfactorily, even if it was slow getting going over the first half.

Jesus Christ, did I just finish a 479 page novel in eight hours?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Injun Joe is the Most Awesomest Person.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

daggerdragon posted:

Jesus Christ, did I just finish a 479 page novel in eight hours?

One of the main reasons I re-read these books so many times is that Butcher's writing style lends itself to skipping over sentences/paragraphs in parts, at least for me. I find a new nugget of awesome every time I read them.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

DJ_Ferret posted:

One of the main reasons I re-read these books so many times is that Butcher's writing style lends itself to skipping over sentences/paragraphs in parts, at least for me. I find a new nugget of awesome every time I read them.

I do the exact same thing! I've lost count of how many re reads I've done due to always having the books strewn around my house/car/work and close at hand.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

They're the most skimmable books I've encountered.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

On the topic of DF cosplay, a quick word of advice to guys planning to dress up as Harry: don't wear a hat. I know you think you're doing it ironically, but when every single guy that cosplays as Harry wears a hat ironically, it loses something.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

daggerdragon posted:

I still have no clue who gets Shiro's sword, and it's bugging me. WHO GETS IT?!?!

Man, how many sword-years has Harry cost the Church at this point?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Poopy Palpy posted:

Man, how many sword-years has Harry cost the Church at this point?

How much is a sword-year in regular years? Do they age like dogs?

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
For our new reader's benefit I'm going spoileriffic Nope, daggerdragon, seriously you don't want to read thissince Harry has kept two of the swords for several years he has two years of 'cost' for every literal year so he's cost roughly 26 sword years inactivity, but he's probably killed enough monsters to break even, or after changes massively over. Though I'd have to throw out that being the curator might effect him, make him show up where and when he's needed? I suppose that's something else to add. If he did go totally power crazy next book he could probably still dual weld those swords, even though being the knight does inherently corrupt him. He would be better off having Murph, Sonia, or even Danial backing him up than wielding the swords himself.

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 23, 2012

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

If he did go totally power crazy next book he could probably also dual weld those swords, though being the night does inherently corrupt him.

No seriously daggerdragon stay out of this
If Harry did that, the swords would be tarnished and lose their power. There could then be no successors to Shiro and Michael. We can't have that... can we? :ohdear: And I don't care, I'm still betting on Murphy wielding one of them (probably Fidelacchius) in the future. And maybe it would be interesting if Molly ended up meeting a guy who ends up becoming the other successor, to kind of follow in her parents' footsteps a bit.

root beer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 23, 2012

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pseudonym posted:

No seriously daggerdragon stay out of this ... And I don't care, I'm still betting on Murphy wielding one of them (probably Fidelacchius) in the future. And maybe it would be interesting if Molly ended up meeting a guy who ends up becoming the other successor, to kind of follow in her parents' footsteps a bit.
except for the fact that all 3 Knights so far have been descended from Kings. It's more likely that Daniel will take up the sword than someone Molly meets. besides, Molly isn't exactly in the best shape right now, but who knows? perhaps Mister Ferro will reappear?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Not reading spoilers, nope, but thanks for that! I get enough spoilers off the back synopsis of the books.

I started White Knight last night and I'm about 1/3 of the way in. I knew Thomas (excuse me, Toe-Moss :allears: ) was a good guy, but now I'm really curious about his job. He's either some sort of vampire nightclub bouncer (maybe for Marcone, who pays him in sexy tidbits to eat?) or a hitman for the White Court. Or both. Or probably neither.

I'm not all that impressed with Molly-as-apprentice. She's just a huge, huge liability for Harry right now, and I'm surprised she survived the year between books. She's also inconsistently portrayed - she can create a glamour that Harry can't even sense, which apparently takes a lot of fine control, but she can't even telekinetically hold up a couple beads on a string?

The entire conversation with Luccia not having the capability/fine control to be able to make the silver Warden swords anymore is really pushing me towards thinking that Harry just might be the next Knight of the Cross. After all, Shiro's cane-sword is silver... Maybe Luccia gets her blacksmithing power back and reforges Shiro's sword for Harry or something. :P It could be a good catalyst to get Lasciel out of his head... or has the reverse effect that he can't wield the sword without extreme pain, a la Mord-Sith.

Conjecture is fun! Magic is srs bizness.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

daggerdragon posted:

.She's also inconsistently portrayed - she can create a glamour that Harry can't even sense, which apparently takes a lot of fine control, but she can't even telekinetically hold up a couple beads on a string?

That comes down to different talents. Remember, Molly was able to cast a glamour while completely untrained and still unaware that she even had magical talent. That and I would imagine that moving the beads takes a different skill set entirely than the glamour, despite them both being magic. To give a real world analogy, I'm a customer service representative at a grocery store. I can use the cash registers really well, including some undocumented workarounds, but if you sat me down in front of the accountant's terminal, I'd have no clue what I was doing.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

jivjov posted:

The Dresden RPG is fantastic. The Fate system provides the best way to play a Dresden-style character that I can think of, and the sourcebooks themselves just ooze charm. Volume 2 even has a short story penned by Butcher himself that takes place in a town less than 10 minutes from my house.

I played in a weekly game of this for over a year. Seriously, go look and give it a shot if you can. :)

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

MasterFugu posted:

except for the fact that all 3 Knights so far have been descended from Kings. It's more likely that Daniel will take up the sword than someone Molly meets. besides, Molly isn't exactly in the best shape right now, but who knows? perhaps Mister Ferro will reappear?

Everyone is descended from kings. That's how ancestry works. If you told me that both of your grandmothers were married, told me the names of the men they were married to, then told me you were descended from at least one, I would believe you. The odds are good enough, despite them not being as high as the odds that you are descended from Charlemagne, and that's just one king. http://humphrysfamilytree.com/ca.html The only thing special about being descended from kings is that so far the knights have both known that and known which king they are descended from. Either that or Jim Butcher is bad at statistics and doesn't realize everyone is descended from Charlemagne, much less any king at all.

mister
Dec 18, 2011
Wait, where are you getting 26 years from? By my reckoning it should be roughly 10 years in between Death Masks and Cold Days for Fidelacchius plus 5 years in between Small Favor and Cold Days for Amoracchius, giving a total of 15 years. This assumes that no one has taken up either sword since Ghost Story ended.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Sword speculation Murphy will get the katana sword because I swear she had a katana in her apartment, she likes martial arts, and she used that sword already at the conclusion of Changes. Thomas will wield the sword of love because it thematically fits with his struggling against his incubus nature, also his father was the White KING.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Just finished White Knight.

Well. I had expected Lasciel to last longer than she did. However, I'm pretty sure she's not gone and she'll be back in full glory, gunning for Harry.

I really like Marcone. He may be a self-serving dick, but he's a self-serving dick with mercenaries with submachine guns and high explosives, and everybody loves explosions!

Okay, I was way off-base about Thomas's job, but hey, being a sexy hair stylist works for him, too. Ahh, Toe-moss. :allears: Sneaky, conniving, White Court vampire Thomas somehow finding a way to keep tabs on his supposedly-estranged sister.

WHO GETS THE DAMNED SWORD, ALREADY?!?!

Harry needs some new toys, not just souped-up versions of his old ones. Little Chicago was a step in the right direction and pretty ingenuous and creative.

White Knight was definitely a lot better than Proven Guilty because it didn't take half the book to get started. Granted, the first half of the book was Harry chasing after a red herring, but it all tied in neatly by the second half, and it spread out the action and plot development a lot better.

Now to find my Sony Reader's charging cable (or buy a new one) so I can load up the e-book for Small Favor... I'll be back!

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Pseudonym posted:

No seriously daggerdragon stay out of this
If Harry did that, the swords would be tarnished and lose their power. There could then be no successors to Shiro and Michael. We can't have that... can we?

I don't think he's corrupted enough for that, even if he was it would go back to normal after he was done.

mister posted:

Wait, where are you getting 26 years from? By my reckoning it should be roughly 10 years in between Death Masks and Cold Days for Fidelacchius plus 5 years in between Small Favor and Cold Days for Amoracchius, giving a total of 15 years. This assumes that no one has taken up either sword since Ghost Story ended.

I guessed and I thought he had them longer.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

daggerdragon posted:

Just finished White Knight.

Well. I had expected Lasciel to last longer than she did. However, I'm pretty sure she's not gone and she'll be back in full glory, gunning for Harry.

I really like Marcone. He may be a self-serving dick, but he's a self-serving dick with mercenaries with submachine guns and high explosives, and everybody loves explosions!

Okay, I was way off-base about Thomas's job, but hey, being a sexy hair stylist works for him, too. Ahh, Toe-moss. :allears: Sneaky, conniving, White Court vampire Thomas somehow finding a way to keep tabs on his supposedly-estranged sister.

WHO GETS THE DAMNED SWORD, ALREADY?!?!

Harry needs some new toys, not just souped-up versions of his old ones. Little Chicago was a step in the right direction and pretty ingenuous and creative.

White Knight was definitely a lot better than Proven Guilty because it didn't take half the book to get started. Granted, the first half of the book was Harry chasing after a red herring, but it all tied in neatly by the second half, and it spread out the action and plot development a lot better.

Now to find my Sony Reader's charging cable (or buy a new one) so I can load up the e-book for Small Favor... I'll be back!

Oh man, you have Small Favor, Turn Coat, then Changes. You're in for a hell of a ride.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

fermun posted:

Oh man, you have Small Favor, Turn Coat, then Changes. You're in for a hell of a ride.

Is it going to be as badass as riding a freaking zombie dinosaur??? I certainly hope so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

daggerdragon posted:

Is it going to be as badass as riding a freaking zombie dinosaur??? I certainly hope so!

"Nay, but with sprinkles 'pon it, and frosting of white."

"Don't plan to bind or banish you, old ghost. Just gonna kick your rear end up between your ears."

"I have this problem with buildings..."

:colbert:
Seriously though, White Night, and Turncoat are two of my favorite books in the whole loving series.

• Locked thread