Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
My droid has been doing a couple of weird things lately. The most annoying is this: I usually use SwiftKey 3 for my keyboard. However, if I power my phone down and power it back up again, the default keyboard is reset to the default android keyboard and SwiftKey is disabled. I change the default keyboard back to SwiftKey and re-enable it on the Language & Input screen, but it's reset to the factory-default options when I have to turn my phone off for whatever reason. This is particularly annoying after I've run out of battery. Less annoying, but still pretty annoying, is the Beautiful Widgets clock and weather widget I like disappears every time I turn off/turn on my phone. Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Falls Down Stairs posted:

My droid has been doing a couple of weird things lately. The most annoying is this: I usually use SwiftKey 3 for my keyboard. However, if I power my phone down and power it back up again, the default keyboard is reset to the default android keyboard and SwiftKey is disabled. I change the default keyboard back to SwiftKey and re-enable it on the Language & Input screen, but it's reset to the factory-default options when I have to turn my phone off for whatever reason. This is particularly annoying after I've run out of battery. Less annoying, but still pretty annoying, is the Beautiful Widgets clock and weather widget I like disappears every time I turn off/turn on my phone. Anyone have any idea what's going on here?
You don't have either of these installed to the SD card by any chance?

Because you can't do that.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

LastInLine posted:

You don't have either of these installed to the SD card by any chance?

Because you can't do that.

They're both installed to "Internal Storage" rather than "USB Storage" which I presume is where they're supposed to be (which may be a bad thing to presume because things are clearly loving up).

edit: I have a Nexus S in case that matters.

edit2: Or maybe they're not installed in the right place, this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1788839 sounds like the same problem I'm having.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 22, 2012

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
For the people using Goodnews as an RSS reader, is it possible to have the articles automatically loaded (i.e it brings up the full article rather than a preview) when you choose to view one?

They're both installed to "Internal Storage" rather than "USB Storage" which I presume is where they're supposed to be (which may be a bad thing to presume because things are clearly loving up).

edit: I have a Nexus S in case that matters.

edit2: Or maybe they're not installed in the right place, this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1788839 sounds like the same problem I'm having.

Problem is that Google hosed up on JB. http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=34880

Try the fixes suggested here. http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1057b1/are_your_paid_widgets_and_keyboards_disappearing/

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 22, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

For the people using Goodnews as an RSS reader, is it possible to have the articles automatically loaded (i.e it brings up the full article rather than a preview) when you choose to view one?
Settings > News Reading, Summary only gives you options for what can be done and I believe what you want would be one of the browser options. For stuff like Taibbi's blog which only gives a summary, I keep the summary and then clicking it brings up the internal browser which loads Rolling Stone to read the full article. For Brooker's blog, it loads the entire article when I bring it up from the list. I don't think there's much you can do if the feed refuses to send more than a summary except go to the site to get the rest but selecting one of the browser options (I like the internal one) makes the transition seamless if only available with data service. Medium priority so expect it to be fixed in November

of 2017 with the release of Pineapple Upside-down Cake

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there an app where it can record something playing and be like "it's probably these songs!!"

Like "What's that song's name" or something?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Ragingsheep posted:

Problem is that Google hosed up on JB. http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=34880

Try the fixes suggested here. http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1057b1/are_your_paid_widgets_and_keyboards_disappearing/

Okay, I'm trying the unrooted fix suggested there and encountering a problem. In the case of SwiftKey, it tells me "pkg.apk copy failed", why might this be occuring? Things worked fine for Beautiful Widgets, however. :)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there an app where it can record something playing and be like "it's probably these songs!!"

Like "What's that song's name" or something?

Shazam. There's another good one as well but I don't remember what it is.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

Shazam. There's another good one as well but I don't remember what it is.

SoundHound.

Edit: And Jelly Bean's native music listening widget but it will only find songs that exist in the Google Play Store.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh that's cool. I don't have jellybean though but I'll give those a shot, thank you.

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010
SoundHound is amazing too. It'll not only identify the song, but sometimes it will bring up the lyrics, karaoke style.

But even in the paid version, there's some mountain dew ad disguised as a "feature" in the search results. Pretty dishonest of the developers imho and enough to rob it of a recommendation.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, Shazam is pretty solid.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I'm looking for a way to 1: use the pin number option for my unlock screen and be able to 2: key in the pin with the option to select camera (or other app) while 3: maintaining the Cerberus feature of taking a picture on wrong pin number input.

Does Widget Locker play nice with Cerberus in this way?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

I think this might be fixed in the JRO03R version of 4.1.1 for the Nexus S 4G (and probably the Sprint Galaxy Nexus). My previous setup and current setup have nothing but widgets on the screen and they are still around after a reboot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's a good folder widget that will let me make whatever icon I choose as big as I like? I've been stuck with a certain set of icons using SimiFolder because for some reason it's the only set that will fill the 2x2 space.

Edit: also, what browser allows drag & drop with AirDroid? I tried both Firefox 15 and Chrome 22.

hooah fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 23, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Has Google Maps been killing anyone else's battery lately? The last few days "Android System" has been using a TON of battery time, and battery stats are showing it's been causing my phone to wake up several thousand times throughout the day. Other than Maps using a ton of wake ups I'm not seeing anything different. :(

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Has anyone noticed that this new Maps update is absolute poo poo? When they put in one finger zooming, it looks like they made two-finger zooming all janky.

The also removed the blue "area of uncertainty" for the GPS, so now the icon just jumps all the gently caress over the place and I have no idea where I am.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

ante posted:

Has anyone noticed that this new Maps update is absolute poo poo? When they put in one finger zooming, it looks like they made two-finger zooming all janky.

The also removed the blue "area of uncertainty" for the GPS, so now the icon just jumps all the gently caress over the place and I have no idea where I am.

I'm certainly seeing the removal of the area of uncertainty. Maybe Google is jealous of all the bad reviews Apple maps is getting and wants to compete?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

"pkg.apk copy failed"

This is still happening. One weird thing is for SwiftKey the pkg.apk doesn't have the same icon as the app, unlike all the other apps. Is that significant in any way?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm looking for a way to 1: use the pin number option for my unlock screen and be able to 2: key in the pin with the option to select camera (or other app) while 3: maintaining the Cerberus feature of taking a picture on wrong pin number input.

Does Widget Locker play nice with Cerberus in this way?

Not exactly sure if this is what you mean but I use Widget Locker and have it where if I go left with my swipe to unlock it will bring me to my camera app while also requiring I use my pattern lock before the camera app shows. It will still take a picture for Cerberus if the pattern is entered wrong. So if that's the scenario you're imagining, yes, Widget Locker will work for this.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

ilysespieces posted:

Not exactly sure if this is what you mean but I use Widget Locker and have it where if I go left with my swipe to unlock it will bring me to my camera app while also requiring I use my pattern lock before the camera app shows. It will still take a picture for Cerberus if the pattern is entered wrong. So if that's the scenario you're imagining, yes, Widget Locker will work for this.

Yes this is was I was asking. Thanks for the answer!

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
All this talk about Airdroid: How the hell have I lived without this all this time? I only heard it brought up about 50 million times in this thread and finally just got around to installing it. This poo poo is amazing.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
How can I set my device to automatically wipe the memory if the incorrect PIN is entered X amount of times? Currently running 4.1.1 on a Nexus 7. I have Cerberus but the N7 only has WiFi so remote access is not very reliable. I'm fairly certain iPhone and BB OSes can do this natively and I could have sworn that Cerberus had this as an option. Maybe there's another app with this functionality?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

Has Google Maps been killing anyone else's battery lately? The last few days "Android System" has been using a TON of battery time, and battery stats are showing it's been causing my phone to wake up several thousand times throughout the day. Other than Maps using a ton of wake ups I'm not seeing anything different. :(

Same here.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is PowerAmp still the go-to 3rd party music player?

For a tablet?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ante posted:

I don't know what happened, but the walking directions are just insanely off now. It claimed I should've been walking in the middle of someone's house to get back on the road.

Maybe I should've just stuck with driving directions or something.

ninmeister posted:

All this talk about Airdroid: How the hell have I lived without this all this time? I only heard it brought up about 50 million times in this thread and finally just got around to installing it. This poo poo is amazing.

AirDroid is too good. The only problem I've noticed is that sometimes bulk downloading and deleting large folders doesn't work. But other than that, it's amazing.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

XIII posted:

Same here.

This is the behavior if you turn on "enable location reporting"

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Here's a summary of the over-the-air Android upgrade process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

edit: crap, wrong thread. Sorry!

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 24, 2012

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Didn't the author of Photochron post in this thread earlier to reccomend it? It's a cool application, but the video export is pretty much broken in 1080p, which kills its usability.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Jensen posted:

Is there any real downside to turning that off, like interfering with Google Now?

Also, any Swype Beta users having trouble removing words from the dictionary? I can't delete anything from either the default or my user dictionary. Swype seems to get worse with each update recently and, from their support forum, it seems their official stance is "don't like it? uninstall it"

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

XIII posted:

Also, any Swype Beta users having trouble removing words from the dictionary? I can't delete anything from either the default or my user dictionary. Swype seems to get worse with each update recently and, from their support forum, it seems their official stance is "don't like it? uninstall it"
Not to sound like a broken record but uninstalling Swype and installing Swiftkey was the best keyboard decision I ever made. Swiftkey is loving amazing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I've got SwiftKey and really enjoy it for typing longer things, but I really do like Swype for one handed typing. I use Keyboard Manager to use Swype in portrait and SwiftKey in landscape. Maybe I'll try using just SwiftKey all day tomorrow and see how I like it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

XIII posted:

Is there any real downside to turning that off, like interfering with Google Now?

I think it disables the 'Places nearby' card.

Also stops location history from working it you care about that

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Jensen posted:

I've always had Location Reporting on, and never had a major issue with battery power until the most recent maps update.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

dissss posted:

I think it disables the 'Places nearby' card.

Also stops location history from working it you care about that

Well, I have that card disabled and I couldn't even tell you what location history is for, so I'm turning it off. I'll see if it helps out any.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It turns out I had 'Enable Location History' on but 'Report from this Device' off. It's not quite clear which option is suppose to do what but you may want to check the battery life with both disabled.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

:siren: If you use Apex launcher, I strongly recommend NOT updating it just yet. I did and it immediately started force closing endlessly. Others are reporting the same behavior. Thankfully, I had the latest beta version downloaded, so I installed Nova (from my laptop) and re-installed the beta.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

XIII posted:

:siren: If you use Apex launcher, I strongly recommend NOT updating it just yet. I did and it immediately started force closing endlessly. Others are reporting the same behavior. Thankfully, I had the latest beta version downloaded, so I installed Nova (from my laptop) and re-installed the beta.

I was just coming in to tell everyone. Not only that, but it seems to have deleted my settings/desktop backups (and for some reason my Titanium Backup didn't contain those) so I had to manually redo everything. Awesome.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
That's some Launcher Pro deja vu.

Would have thought they'd have it in shape after 6 beta versions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hey, launcher pro's been stable for over a year now!

Dead's the same as stable right?

• Locked thread