Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Hakuho showing his ugly side will make the Harumafuji/Hakuho match all the more interesting. Push forward future yokozuna!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSFxylOpRw.

Myougiryuu v Kyokutenhou, same explosive start, much better result today for Myougiryuu.

Harumafuji v Kisenosato, commanding performance today by Harumafuji. On the rope like that against an opponent like Kisenosato, and managing to turn it around like that. Good times.

As for tomorrow, it could all be over if Harumafuji wins and Hakuhou loses, then the basho is decided without them meeting each other.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It looked like Hakuho was doing the same forearm smash technique in that Kakuryu match as the Myogiryu match. I wonder how Harumafuji will react to that. Of course Hakuho could lose his match tomorrow and a Harumafuji/Hakuho match won't matter, but I think Harumafuji will beat Kakuryu reasonably easy and while Kisenosato can screw things up for Hakuho, I think Hakuho is much more focused this half of the basho.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Just Winging It posted:

Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSFxylOpRw.

Myougiryuu v Kyokutenhou, same explosive start, much better result today for Myougiryuu.

I thought I saw a small pause, actually. He looked like he wasn't charging straight forward, but instead hesitated at the moment of contact.

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!
Day 14 is up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGPEkE91krU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Without spoiling anything, I'm just going to say that it was well worth staying up until 4.30AM to watch the end of this one.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Apraxin posted:

Without spoiling anything, I'm just going to say that it was well worth staying up until 4.30AM to watch the end of this one.

I'm gonna spoil this just in case some of you are incredibly sensitive, but this is just as spoil-free as the above:

Watching a final match-up like that with all the ceremony and lead-up is infinitely better than just catching the YouTube digest, and that was one of the few matches to live up to all the hype. Without saying who won, I gotta say it was a hell of a match.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Apraxin posted:

yeah, this. my biggest fear going into this was that after all the buildup, no matter who won, it would be an anticlimactic bout... needless to say that was not the case.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

That was incredible.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFk7_Bj0q7I.

It seems to me that all of the pre-match rituals and what not for the final match are included in the digest. As for the match, :iia:. A much better match than they had the previous basho, and probably one of the best I've seen in a long time.

In other news, long time Makuuchi staple Kokkai has retired after pulling out of the tournament injured.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 23, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Absolutely amazing final match, I'm well loving pleased they left the pre-match in there; really added to the excitement. Can't wait to see how Harumafuji does in November. I also like how it was pointed out that Hakuho threw that elbow again. Is there any risk of him being called out on that?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Funkysauce posted:

Absolutely amazing final match, I'm well loving pleased they left the pre-match in there; really added to the excitement. Can't wait to see how Harumafuji does in November. I also like how it was pointed out that Hakuho threw that elbow again. Is there any risk of him being called out on that?

It would be nice to see someone do the same to him next basho. That would settle him down.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I came while watching that finale. Amazing conclusion to the Basho.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Well that was amazing. That said, anyone else afraid Haramufuji might be on a hot streak and might return to his inconsistent ways? I hope he lives up to the yokozuna title

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gozinbulx posted:

Well that was amazing. That said, anyone else afraid Haramufuji might be on a hot streak and might return to his inconsistent ways? I hope he lives up to the yokozuna title

I was thinking that this morning. Hopefully he's the next Takanohana, and not his brother Wakanohana.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Absolutely stunning final match! Harumafuji seemed to thank god at the end. It was just really great. Such a good way to attain the rank of yokozuna. In all, it was an awesome basho. I'm kinda disappointed that Aminishiki wasn't considered for any special prizes, though. He did well and beat plenty of high ranking, tough opponents.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
so i guess the top of the banzuke will look a little like this next basho (not in any particular order except by rank):

Yokozuna: Hakuho, Harumafuji
Ozeki: Kisenosato, Kakuryu, Baruto, Kotoshogiku, Kotooshu
Sekiwake: Myogiryu, Goeido
Komusubi: Homasho, Aminishiki

don't know who the top Maegashira will be but i'm guessing Tochiozan and maybe Okinoumi or Takayasu? i also don't know exactly who is going down to juryo, probably Takanoyama, Kimurayama, Sadanofuji, Tenkaiho, and maybe Takarafuji as well. if that means 4-5 juryo rikishi are coming up, i'm assuming they will be Jokoryu, Ikioi, Chiyonokuni, and Yoshiazuma, with Tamawashi on the cusp.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

As an absolute sumo n00b, I gotta ask:

Are there separate ceremonies for 'crowning' new yokozuna, or are those events not really acknowledged until the next basho?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

anakha posted:

As an absolute sumo n00b, I gotta ask:

Are there separate ceremonies for 'crowning' new yokozuna, or are those events not really acknowledged until the next basho?

Yeah, there's a ceremony for new yokozuna where they do their ring-entering (yokozuna dohyo-iri) ceremony for the first time.

Edit: Which I believe will be in the month between tournments.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I feel the sudden need to determine who is the the gooniest of all the active rikishi.

Kisenosato immediately comes to mind for being all :smug: and the Tourette's :heysexy: thing he's got going on when you watch him carefully.

Something about Tochinoshin also strikes me as the kind of guy who probably sits at the computer while eating Cheetos and drinking Mt Dew. I just want to go all :glomp: on him.

Then there's Takamisakari for being so loving weird and giving no fucks that everyone probably laughs at his pre-match routine.

Gagamaru is the biggest neckbeard ever, quite literally.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

I feel the sudden need to determine who is the the gooniest of all the active rikishi.

Kisenosato immediately comes to mind for being all :smug: and the Tourette's :heysexy: thing he's got going on when you watch him carefully.

Something about Tochinoshin also strikes me as the kind of guy who probably sits at the computer while eating Cheetos and drinking Mt Dew. I just want to go all :glomp: on him.

Then there's Takamisakari for being so loving weird and giving no fucks that everyone probably laughs at his pre-match routine.

Gagamaru is the biggest neckbeard ever, quite literally.

Takamisakari, definitely. This old thread on Sumo Forum goes into a little detail about his social phobia and general weirdness.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Takamisakari is the best. Giving no fucks, psyching himself up before every match, actually having emotions :allears:. Pity that he's dropped to Juryo and is probably never going to bounce back to the big league at his age.

Adding to his gooniness is that he's apparently quite shy around the ladies and his OCDesque weirdness that's keeping him from interacting with the fans on their provincial tours like the rest of the rikishi. Oh, and despite loving his karaoke, he's apparently can't do it in front of other people.

Still, he's made bank with his popularity and has already got a kabu for his post-retirement career.

Ditto on Tochinoshin, although he doesn't have the glorious 5 o'clock shade that Kokkai used to have. Maybe it's just his mugshot on sumoreference though that has me convinced. Dude seems more likely to go and post about some obscure game on the internets than step into the ring and duke it out.

In other news, Harumafuji's promotion to yokozuna is confirmed. Hopefully his stint will be a long and strong one, more to the tune of Takanohana than Wakanohana (or indeed his stable masters').

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Takamisakari. He's like that nerdy kid in school who everyone thinks is a dick because they don't understand he has social issues (some of the posters in sumo forum seem to be the kids who think he's a dick).

Edit: And upon thinking about it, Asashoryu was the jock who was embarrassed by the nerdy kid and then took it out on him every time they met. Man, Asashoryu was amazing but he was a BIT of an rear end in a top hat.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 26, 2012

i am paul newman
Mar 31, 2010
Robo played it up, his hook was that facial expression of vulnerability that weaksighted people wear when navigating without glasses. Audiences granted him the self-disparaging class clown spot and he filled it and kept it forever. Love him, but he can't be the "gooniest".

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Wow, it looks like Harumafuji, with his promotion, made Wikipedia's front page. :)

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Harumafuji won the one day tournament!

"Kintamayama" posted:

New Yokozuna Harumafuji won the All Japan rikishi knock-out tournament today at the KKan. It was the fourth time he won it after a three year hiatus. The only other rikishi to ever win this tournament 4 times were Futabayama and Akebono. Prize money- 500,000 yen. He beat Kisenosato in the final by shitatehineri. "I'm really happy. This was my first tournament as a new Yokozuna so i planned on doing sumo that would make the fans happy," he said.

With the yusho armband (???):

The Juryo championship was won by Hakuhou's protegee Daikihou, who took home 200,000 yen. He beat Nionoumi by okuridashi in the finals. "The minute I did the okuridashi it dawned on me that I had won the yusho. It was great to be able to go up against various opponents," he said. He beat Nichidai classmate Joukouryuu in the first round, and Takamisakari in the semis."It will soon be gone.. It won't last a day.." he said of the prize money.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
so I'm writing a paper on Asashoryu for a class - does anyone happen to know of any good articles that talk about him and/or sumo's decline in popularity over the last ~10 years? the most recent source I have right now is the Levitt study that proved match fixing, and that was from 2002. it seems like practically nothing has been written about sumo whatsoever since then outside of your garden variety newspaper articles (which I will be using, but having something a bit more on the scholarly side would be hugely helpful).

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I have access to a ton of journal databases, I'll take a look for you.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The amount of articles and publications wherein sumo is used as some sort of clever acronym or whatever seem to outnumber the actually sumo related ones 100:1. What makes it even more fun is that pretty much all I found that was sumo related is concerned with the various health aspects. There really seems to be very little written about sumo in English.

Anyway I found a couple that might be useful to you, if only to bulk up your bibliography, :
RK Tierney, "Outside the Sumo Ring? Foreigners and a Rethinking of the National Sport" in Multiculturalism in the New Japan: Crossing the Boundaries Within, Berghagn Books, 2008.
M. Maeda, Wild Men, Bad Boys, and Model Citizens: The Integration of Foreigners in Sumo Wrestling, University of Southern California, 2007.

The former came up almost entirely on Google Books, while the latter is only a thesis or something so that might more of a bother. Can't say anything about the veracity or quality of them though.

Anyway, have a video of Harumafuji doing his first dohyo-iri at Meiji jingu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxthvYv4b5o, it's a bit shaky but not too bad. The swordbearer is Aminishiki, the dewsweeper Takarafuji.

Someone made a nice video of both Hakuho and Harumafuji doing their dohyo-iri at Tochinonada's danpatsushiki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_zOny3cQ_o. Hakuho has Kaisei as his swordbearer and Kyokutenho as his dewsweeper, while Harumafuji has the same crew as earlier.

On a less pleasant note, it seems that two former rikishi have brought a 22 million yen suit against the estate of their former stable master to compensate for the abuse suffered while at Naruto-beya. Ruling next week. Sounds a bit like the hazing scandal, only without people dying.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

So I had a look through the databases I have access to and found these articles that may give you more sources:

The Protection of Reputation in Japan: A Systematic Analysis of Defamation Cases; Kitajima, Noriko; Law & Social Inquiry, ISSN 0897-6546, 2012, Volume 37, Issue 1, pp. 89 - 118

Corruption in Professional Sumo: An Update on the Study of Duggan and Levitt; Journal of Sports Economics, ISSN 1527-0025, 08/2010, Volume 11, Issue 4, pp. 383 - 396

Law in Everyday Japan: Sex, Sumo, Suicide, and Statutes; Ryang, Sonia; The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, ISSN 1359-0987, 12/2006, Volume 12, Issue 4, p. 976

Japan's Gross National Cool; McGray, Douglas; Foreign Policy, ISSN 0015-7228, 05/2002, Issue 130, pp. 44 - 54

THE POLITICS OF SPORT AND LEISURE IN JAPAN: Global Power and Local Resistance; Horne, John; International Review for the Sociology of Sport, ISSN 1012-6902, 06/1998, Volume 33, Issue 2, pp. 171 - 182

Understanding Sport and Body Culture in Japan; HORNE, JOHN; Body & Society, ISSN 1357-034X, 06/2000, Volume 6, Issue 2, pp. 73 - 86

The Orient strikes back: advertising and imagining Japan; Moeran, B; Theory, Culture & Society, ISSN 0263-2764, 08/1996, Volume 13, Issue 3, pp. 77 - 112

Japanese Childhood, Modern Childhood: The Nation-State, the School, and 19th-Century Globalization; Platt, Brian; Journal of Social History, ISSN 0022-4529, 2005, Volume 38, Issue 4, pp. 965 - 985

The hard part is sifting out biology and genetics articles from results for sumo. This list probably isn't complete, but it is what I managed to find in a few minutes of looking. I did exclude newspaper articles since I imagine you've found plenty of those so far. Also, only the first result actually mentions Asashoryu (or so the search engine told me). I can get full texts of all these articles, so let me know if you want any of them.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Pvt. Public posted:

The hard part is sifting out biology and genetics articles from results for sumo.

yeah this was a huge pain in the rear end when i was searching. but some of those articles definitely look like they could be useful, as do those two things that you linked, Just Winging It. i've already read a couple of those (the duggan & levitt study and Japan's Gross National Cool) and i should probably be able to find the rest from my school library + interlibrary loan (one of the nicer perks of going to a state school), but if i can't i'll definitely let you know :tipshat:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

a false posted:

yeah this was a huge pain in the rear end when i was searching. but some of those articles definitely look like they could be useful, as do those two things that you linked, Just Winging It. i've already read a couple of those (the duggan & levitt study and Japan's Gross National Cool) and i should probably be able to find the rest from my school library + interlibrary loan (one of the nicer perks of going to a state school), but if i can't i'll definitely let you know :tipshat:

I'm also using a library system (1 Search, to be specific), so you should be able to get the full texts. If not, though, I'll snag them.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
So while we're all twiddling our thumbs waiting for the next basho, does anyone know of (or want to write up) a good guide for newbies on how to watch sumo? I'm thinking less about rules, and more about the strategy and tactics; stuff like what's going on at the tachi-ai and what's going on when they have each others' belts but are just chilling out waiting for the ref to yell at them a few times.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

dupersaurus posted:

So while we're all twiddling our thumbs waiting for the next basho, does anyone know of (or want to write up) a good guide for newbies on how to watch sumo? I'm thinking less about rules, and more about the strategy and tactics; stuff like what's going on at the tachi-ai and what's going on when they have each others' belts but are just chilling out waiting for the ref to yell at them a few times.

Check out a judo manual and you'll learn basically everything there is to know about sumo technique. The mechanics of things like hip throws, foot trips, and snapdowns aren't particularly complex -- learning what good balance, footwork, and timing look like is hard, and even harder to describe. As for gripwork and whatnot, it really depends on the wrestler, but generally speaking you want to be inside and under your opponents arms in a tie. Grabbing the belt is generally a good thing, but doesn't necessarily mean you are at an advantage if the opponent has underhooks. And then of course there are wrestlers who are most comfortable with, say, double overhooks, and it gets more complicated.

Basically, go start doing wrestling/judo/sambo and you'll learn a ton about sumo :v:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 19, 2012

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The banzuke for the November basho is out. With two yokozuna, one freshly promoted and on a hot streak and one with a poor (at least by his standards, pretty much anyone else would give an arm for his 2012 record), we'll hopefully get some fireworks. Furthermore, with for the first time in history three ozeki kadoban at the same time, one of them might not make it and that should provide some interesting stuff as well.

Sekiwake are unchanged from last basho and I'd like to see if Myogiryu can repeat or improve on his performance last basho against the full lineup of ozeki+yokozuna, ditto for Goeido. Homasho and Aminishiki got bumped up to komosubi, being the top rated maegashira last time around that actually got to kachikoshi. Hopefully they'll do better than in their previous (short) stints at this rank.

Down to Juryo are Takarafuji, Tenkaiho, Takanoyama, Kimurayama and Sadanofuji. Yoshiazuma, Chiyonokuni, Ikioi and Tamawashi return to Makuuchi. Jokoryu makes his debut in Makuuchi after only a record nine tournaments, two faster than the old record held by Kotoshu/Aran. Definitely interesting to see if he can keep performing well, and at M14 he'll probably won't run into many top guys so a good record isn't out of the question for him.

Basho starts 11 November.

On a slightly unrelated note, sumoreference has been unreachable for quite a while now for me. Is it gone or moved to a different URL or something?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Just Winging It posted:

The banzuke for the November basho is out. With two yokozuna, one freshly promoted and on a hot streak and one with a poor (at least by his standards, pretty much anyone else would give an arm for his 2012 record), we'll hopefully get some fireworks. Furthermore, with for the first time in history three ozeki kadoban at the same time, one of them might not make it and that should provide some interesting stuff as well.

Sekiwake are unchanged from last basho and I'd like to see if Myogiryu can repeat or improve on his performance last basho against the full lineup of ozeki+yokozuna, ditto for Goeido. Homasho and Aminishiki got bumped up to komosubi, being the top rated maegashira last time around that actually got to kachikoshi. Hopefully they'll do better than in their previous (short) stints at this rank.

Down to Juryo are Takarafuji, Tenkaiho, Takanoyama, Kimurayama and Sadanofuji. Yoshiazuma, Chiyonokuni, Ikioi and Tamawashi return to Makuuchi. Jokoryu makes his debut in Makuuchi after only a record nine tournaments, two faster than the old record held by Kotoshu/Aran. Definitely interesting to see if he can keep performing well, and at M14 he'll probably won't run into many top guys so a good record isn't out of the question for him.

Basho starts 11 November.

On a slightly unrelated note, sumoreference has been unreachable for quite a while now for me. Is it gone or moved to a different URL or something?

I guess sumoreference changed URLs. It is now http://sumodb.ozumo.de/default.aspx

I think the thing I'm most interested in this tournament is Hakuho vs. Harumafuji and Jokoryu. I predict that Aminishiki might make it to sekiwake but then will be thrown back into the rank and file as we have seen in the past. Or he might just get thrown back into maegashira after this tournament. Either way, he will not stay up there long unless he's developed some new techniques or something.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I don't know about everyone but TVJapan has been doing a free preview. It's running 11/1-11/15.

They are showing the next basho but since the preview cuts out at the 15th we won't be able to see the whole thing. On FIOS in NYC it's channel 1770.

http://www.tvjapan.net/subcategory/sports.html

Should be cool, I'll be DVR'ing the basho until the preview is over.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

I don't know about everyone but TVJapan has been doing a free preview. It's running 11/1-11/15.

They are showing the next basho but since the preview cuts out at the 15th we won't be able to see the whole thing. On FIOS in NYC it's channel 1770.

http://www.tvjapan.net/subcategory/sports.html

Should be cool, I'll be DVR'ing the basho until the preview is over.

Hilarious... I was on my way here to say that uVerse will let you try a month of any Int'l channels for free, so I just signed up and set it to DVR everything. Hopefully it sucks, because I don't hate money enough to throw away $25/mo when realistically I'd only have time to watch the highlights.

I probably could commit myself to removing and adding that channel every other month, if it turns out to be great, so it'd average $12.50 a month. Less than I pay for soccer or baseball.

Edit: 3680 on uVerse. Curious what it costs with other providers.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

Hilarious... I was on my way here to say that uVerse will let you try a month of any Int'l channels for free, so I just signed up and set it to DVR everything. Hopefully it sucks, because I don't hate money enough to throw away $25/mo when realistically I'd only have time to watch the highlights.

I probably could commit myself to removing and adding that channel every other month, if it turns out to be great, so it'd average $12.50 a month. Less than I pay for soccer or baseball.

Edit: 3680 on uVerse. Curious what it costs with other providers.

24.99/mo on FIOS as well, too much. I have RAI for 12/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
After you watch the TV coverage with the commentary, it will be really hard to go back. I keep meaning to cancel because of that price, but then the next sumo tournament is just around the corner.

Then again, I don't really know if the English commentary is as nice. I've never actually tried listening to it.