Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Chic Trombone posted:

For you to not talk about it until it actually goes up as a live update, maybe?

Like, if you absolutely MUST talk about it, make an IRC channel or chat with friends you have who've played the beta. I don't think it's very fair to everyone else to be more or less excluded from the discussion.

This is the whiniest post I've ever seen.

Also, echoing all of the Cronus hate--I was laughing initially, but as things went on (and especially when he started talking to Mituna, it was just...ugh. It's a really weird feeling to go from all of the wonderfully likable characters in the first walkaround (Meenah, Porrim, Latula, even Kankri is amazing in his way) to...these guys.

Meulin's pretty cute, though, with the way she mimes GIFs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
I remember when I was still catching up and couldn't even read the thread because even non-spoilered things tended to be huge spoilers for me, so this really doesn't bother me. As long as people keep using spoiler tags, I think they should go ahead and post whatever they want. :shobon:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, betachat is okay as long as people just remember tags, which they are generally doing.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Looking forward to playing through this thing again in a few days and finding that all the plot content is completely different.

To be honest, if it weren't for the fact that Hussie made everyone pay $50 to beta test, I wouldn't have been surprised had they just replaced all the text and character sprites/portraits with Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff gags. Which would serve to both beta test just as well, and be an amusing story in it's own right while everyone waits for the real version and it's spoilers.

Technique posted:

It's hard, not playing the beta. It's hard and nobody understands.

Oh well, at least i can pass the time by making sure that every single TF2 item i have will become Homestuck-themed.

If it weren't for the fact that the Sticky Jumper doesn't tend to get many kills and thus I don't think anyone would ever see the rename, I'd name mine that right the gently caress now.

On the plus side, at least I am the proud owner of one of the many SORD.....'s out there. :v:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Midnight Raider posted:

If it weren't for the fact that the Sticky Jumper doesn't tend to get many kills and thus I don't think anyone would ever see the rename, I'd name mine that right the gently caress now.

On the plus side, at least I am the proud owner of one of the many SORD.....'s out there. :v:

Rename it anyway.

Also, i was going to name my sword SORD too, but i changed my mind.

E: vvv Hahaha, i was actually JUST thinking of renaming my Bootlegger to the exact same thing as your Booties.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 23, 2012

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn

Technique posted:

Oh well, at least i can pass the time by making sure that every single TF2 item i have will become Homestuck-themed.

Same here, bro.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Not sure what Meulin's deal is. All the other descendants have distinct personalities, but Meulin is just Nepeta cranked up to 11.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Technique posted:

"Heir of Boom" is a much better Homestuck pun. :eng101:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Fister Roboto posted:

Not sure what Meulin's deal is. All the other descendants have distinct personalities, but Meulin is just Nepeta cranked up to 11.

Nah, she's a parody of excitable tumblr peeps like this liveblog here

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I dunno, I think her personality is still pretty distinct. It's the case with most of the Beforus trolls that they share some personality aspects with their counterparts. Latula's still got the coolkid obsession, Porrim's still got motherly instincts, Cronus is still an rear end in a top hat, Mituna's still got a bifurcation gimmick, Kurloz is still CREEPY AS gently caress, etc. They're just all tweaked in other ways. Meulin shares the shipping and love of catpuns, but she's WAY more excitable and outgoing than Nepeta ever was, and seems to be more proactive in trying to hook people up. There's also the whole deafness thing.

Anyway, I actually quite liked her. She's adorable and the whole signing-reaction-gifs thing is pretty hilarious. She kind of reminds me of Treestuck actually, so Hussie definitely hit the excitable-tumblr-poster stereotype right on the head.

I'm really worried what this means though. Why do bad things always happen to Leijons? :smith:

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Hey, Silva, where did your avatar come from? It looks pretty cool.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

VJeff posted:

It was pretty genuinely terrible. I didn't think Hussie could make a character more unlikable than Eridan, but "guy who molests mentally handicapped acquaintance and then verbally rips him to shreds for no loving reason" does it pretty handily.

I just hope tumblr doesn't make him out to be a good guy like Eridan. :doh:

A while ago there was this hilariously tone-deaf tumblr post, posting everything Eridan said in "Return to the core" and taking it at face value (like the line "even if you're not interested in me in THAT WAY" as indicating that he's totally moved on from Feferi) in service of the thesis "he's actually a pretty good guy!". While completely ignoring that he killed the people he was talking with immediately afterwards. It was kind of funny that someone could miss the point by that much, but if something like that showed up about Cronus, that would just piss me off.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not remembering the part where Nepeta turned out to be a willing part of a conspiracy to aid Lord English. I get what you mean if it was just her talking with Meenah, but there's that whole thing afterwards. Which I think can be an interesting parallel to the Disciple and the Sufferer.

RickoniX brought it up to me that the characters with any kind of relationship with Meulin or Kurloz are probably not trustworthy, which I think can be a clue that this is a bizarro setup of the Sufferer's religion if Hussie runs with that. The people who were the Sufferer's followers on Alternia (Maryam, Pyrope, Leijon, Captor) may be pitted against the Empress again, with Makara being the head of the religion this time.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 23, 2012

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

MrBims posted:

I'm not remembering the part where Nepeta turned out to be a willing part of a conspiracy to aid Lord English. I get what you mean if it was just her talking with Meenah, but there's that whole thing afterwards. Which I think can be an interesting parallel to the Disciple and the Sufferer.

RickoniX brought it up to me that the characters with any kind of relationship with Meulin or Kurloz are probably not trustworthy, which I think can be an extension that this is a bizarro setup of the Sufferer's religion. The people who were the Sufferer's followers on Alternia (Maryam, Pyrope, Leijon, Captor) may be pitted against the Empress again, with Makara being the head of the religion this time.

If you talk to Meulin as Kurloz before proceeding, it becomes pretty clear that she has no recollection of what just happened and is at most some sort of sleeper agent or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

More of a catnap agent, really.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

CuddlyZombie posted:

If you talk to Meulin as Kurloz before proceeding, it becomes pretty clear that she has no recollection of what just happened and is at most some sort of sleeper agent or something.

Yeah, if you talk to Meenah as Meulin, Meulin mentions how they were matesprits a long time ago (didn't see that one coming) and are just friends now, but then goes on to say how he was always going on about his "spooky religion" but he was being really secretive about it. It sounds like she just put up with it because they were close and meanwhile he was using her to further his plans all this time. It's... actually kind of depressing when you think about it.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Non-beta chat: Soooo.... How 'bout that tantrum John's throwing, huh?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pessimism posted:

Non-beta chat: Soooo.... How 'bout that tantrum John's throwing, huh?

SON, IF YOU ARE READING THIS THEN YOU HAVE TRULY GONE FULL VANTAS.

I AM SO, SO PROUD OF YOU.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Carrasco posted:

A while ago there was this hilariously tone-deaf tumblr post, posting everything Eridan said in "Return to the core" and taking it at face value (like the line "even if you're not interested in me in THAT WAY" as indicating that he's totally moved on from Feferi) in service of the thesis "he's actually a pretty good guy!". While completely ignoring that he killed the people he was talking with immediately afterwards. It was kind of funny that someone could miss the point by that much, but if something like that showed up about Cronus, that would just piss me off.

I've seen people say that Eridan was justified in killing Feferi and Kanaya because it was self-defense.

Seriously.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm betting either one of three things will happen:

(a) Next update is Openbound, part 2.
(b) He'll wake up, we'll see who he meets and go "OH poo poo" and then cut to Openbound, part 2.
(c) He'll wake up, we'll see who he meets, they'll have a little conversation, something shocking will come up and "OH poo poo", cut to Openbound, part 2.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

With respect to the beta is anyone getting the impression that some type of weird, cataclysmic event happened which hosed up a lot of these pre-scrathced trolls? Like something which deafened Leijon, messed up Captor, scarred Ampora, etc. For some reason I was reminded of Gigyas's unfathomnable attack.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Cabbit posted:

"Heir of Boom" is a much better Homestuck pun. :eng101:

Oh god drat it, now i have to get another nametag, because that's just too good.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Color Printer posted:

I'm betting either one of three things will happen:

(a) Next update is Openbound, part 2.
(b) He'll wake up, we'll see who he meets and go "OH poo poo" and then cut to Openbound, part 2.
(c) He'll wake up, we'll see who he meets, they'll have a little conversation, something shocking will come up and "OH poo poo", cut to Openbound, part 2.

It would be cool if it cuts straight to Openbound, part 2, then switches to something else, and Openbound, part 3 is actually Openbound, John version.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Jesus christ Cronus what the gently caress is wrong with you.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

FYI I created #meenahstuck on irc.synirc.net for temporary chat about the update if you feel like dropping by. Not a whole lot of people around though!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Samovar posted:

With respect to the beta is anyone getting the impression that some type of weird, cataclysmic event happened which hosed up a lot of these pre-scrathced trolls? Like something which deafened Leijon, messed up Captor, scarred Ampora, etc. For some reason I was reminded of Gigyas's unfathomnable attack.

Eh, not really. I sorta got the impression that was just poo poo they were born with. But the more I think about, that's probably a bit more likely.

Boy, that'd be a weird turn of events - they lost out so badly because they were just born as a bunch of cripples. :shepface:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

VJeff posted:

Eh, not really. I sorta got the impression that was just poo poo they were born with. But the more I think about, that's probably a bit more likely.

Boy, that'd be a weird turn of events - they lost out so badly because they were just born as a bunch of cripples. :shepface:

This isn't the case, at least for Meulin and Kurloz. Meulin's able to talk just fine but talks REALLY LOUD all the time, so that kind of indicates that she used to be able to hear but then lost it. With Kurloz, in the Meulin -> Meenah convo they specifically mention he sewed his mouth shut.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

cathead posted:

This isn't the case, at least for Meulin and Kurloz. Meulin's able to talk just fine but talks REALLY LOUD all the time, so that kind of indicates that she used to be able to hear but then lost it. With Kurloz, in the Meulin -> Meenah convo they specifically mention he sewed his mouth shut.

Even back in the first part Kankri's conversation with Latula mentioned the time she tried to smell a cake, and I'm pretty sure there's an off-hand line in one of Captor's conversations where he implies that he didn't used to have his issues as well.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

cathead posted:

That, and he chewed his own tounge off. Guy's a spooky skeleton.

Also, gently caress THE SUBJUGGULATORS HAVE THE CROWBAR. MAGUFFIN IDENTIFIED

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Triskelli posted:

That, and he chewed his own tounge off. Guy's a spooky skeleton.

Also, gently caress THE SUBJUGGULATORS HAVE THE CROWBAR. MAGUFFIN IDENTIFIED

Didn't Meenah have it in the first update?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So I finished playing through the beta update just now. Hussie made Captor a mentally handicapped dude? I'm surprised since I'm certain Tumblr is going to explode at the perceived stereotyping and ablism or whatever the social justice brigade doesn't like. I thought he was funny and sympathetic though, especially compared to Cronus.

It's actually kind of funny, since all of the fan artists depicted his helmet as giving him super-psy powers or being an advanced computer, but no, it really is a helmet to protect his head.

Also echoing that I liked Cronus when he was first introduced because he acted like I thought he would. That went away when he started alternating between insulting and molesting Mituna. Of all possible Amporas in all possible universes, Cronus is the worst.

VJeff posted:

So I heard someone say that Cronus was literally Octopimp. Can anybody verify that?

AFAIK Octopimp is a voice actor and not a rapist? I think there were a bunch of people complaining about the fact that he voiced Eridan saying "nyeh" one time though. Cronus says "nyeh" once or twice.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
According to Gankro, the update will be pushed out to all sometime tonight, as most of the bugs are now fixed.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Yeah, Cronus directly states at one point that Mituna used to be "normal". I hate the dude (Cronus), a lot of people on tumblr seem to like him cuz he's a prettyboy greaser, but I haven't really seen anyone have problems with Mituna yet. We're not actually sure he's mentally handicapped but there does seem to be SOMETHING wrong with him. He begs his custodian for mind honey so that might have something to do with it? I just think he's really endearing.

cubivore fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 23, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tinaun posted:

According to Gankro, the update will be pushed out to all sometime tonight, as most of the bugs are now fixed.

Thank god, all of these spoiler tags are completely annihilating my willpower :ohdear:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

tinaun posted:

Oh thank god,i was afraid we'd have to wait for days.

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn

cubivore posted:

Hey, Silva, where did your avatar come from? It looks pretty cool.

Right here

non-edit: Hey there's a John version too. Now I have to contemplate changing my avatar, again.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Bobulus posted:

So let's break down the titles:

Kankri: Seer of Blood
Latula: Knight of Mind
Porrim: Maid of Space
Damara: Witch of Time
Aranea: Sylph of Light
Meulin: Mage of Heart
Cronus: Bard of Hope
Meenah: Thief of Life
Mituna: ??? of Doom
Kurloz: ??? of Rage
Darkleer?: ??? of Void
Summoner?: ??? of Breath

That leaves Rogue, Heir, Prince and Page.

I had a weird idea: What if the reason all the Beforus trolls are so calm and unwilling to take the fight to Lord English is that Kurloz is the Rogue of Rage and has been stealing all their anger to help fuel Gamzee's rampage.

I like the idea that Kurloz is the reason none of the Beforus trolls are willing to fight, but Prince would be a better fit. He's destroying rage in them, and he's destroying through rage by helping Gamzee.

Also, gently caress Cronus. He has breezed past all competition - including Lord English and Eridan - to become the single biggest poo poo in the entire comic.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

cubivore posted:

Yeah, Cronus directly states at one point that Mituna used to be "normal". I hate the dude (Cronus), a lot of people on tumblr seem to like him cuz he's a prettyboy greaser, but I haven't really seen anyone have problems with Mituna yet. We're not actually sure he's mentally handicapped but there does seem to be SOMETHING wrong with him. He begs his custodian for mind honey so that might have something to do with it? I just think he's really endearing.

Also Cronus mentions that apparently when Mituna talks with Kuloz he doesn't act all messed up and is in fact completely normal and lucid. So Mituna is probably another sleeper cell for the Subjugglators.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The worst part about this flash is that it introduces even more characters who desperately need a comeuppance, and this comeuppance will only be further delayed by having to spend time with those god damned Alpha Kids again.

I never would've expected the Beta Troll roster to be even more hosed up than the alpha, but here we are.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You know, I'm a little amazed that it took three sweeps for Meenah to kill all these fuckers.