Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I've recently setup a DAAP server on my server so that I can stream my music to music players through a VPN. I would really like to know the bandwidth that I'm using since our house is on a monthly cap. What is the best solution for me to record usage information to a log file? I know the IP address from which I will be streaming the data (as well as the port number). Any suggestions?

Edit: Basically I want the output of ifstat but just for traffic to a particular IP/host and port.

Every iptables rule includes packet and byte counters for traffic that matches the rule. You can also make iptables rules that match specific IP address and port but don't actually do anything: they would act as counters only.

Then log the value of the counters at suitable intervals. A simple calculation will give you the average bandwidth used for the packets matching the rule on each interval:

bandwidth_used = (counter_at_period_end - counter_at_period_start) / period_length

Or if you use something like http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/ to store the counter values, you can easily have it draw nice graphs for you too. (You probably find rrdtool is included in your Linux distribution: just tell your package manager application to install it.)

You might set up a cron job or an infinite-loop script to feed the current counter values into a .rrd file, and a CGI script in a web server to update the graph only when you want to look at it (to minimize CPU usage). The rrdtool package documentation includes tools and examples for setups just like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

deoju posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am a total noob to this sub-forum and to Linux.

I wanted to fool around with Linux for the hell of it and to see if I could teach myself something so I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a usb drive to use with my old netbook and it is slow as molasses.

I am working with a Dell Mini 10 with the following...
992.1 MiB memory
intel atom cpu n270 @ 1.60GHz x 2
32-bit OS

Which should meet the minimum requirements, right? So what gives? I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for any help. :)

I have an Asus Eee PC currently running Win 7 Starter. It specs are: 1.6GHz Atom, Intel integrated graphics :lol:, upgraded to 2GB RAM, it is also slow as poo poo. I would highly recommend upgrading your RAM to 2GB, I assume your netbook most likely requires DDR2 like mine, I found my RAM on Craigslist for $10.

As soon as I get home from vacation (Monday) I fully intend to install Xubuntu on this thing, in my opinion Xubuntu has an appearance very similar to a Gnome 2 interface. I simply cant stand Unity or Gnome 3, and I am certain they require a lot of resources.

The only feature I am worried about loosing when switching to Xubuntu is two finger scrolling with my track pad. Does anyone know if this works in Xubuntu, on an Eee PC (1001P) with Firefox (and other apps to, but firefox is the big one)?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Purposefully vague question: Is there a correlation between the amount of physical RAM in a system and the default value of sysctl fs.file-max?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Purposefully vague question: Is there a correlation between the amount of physical RAM in a system and the default value of sysctl fs.file-max?

From what I am reading its set to a value based on available ram. It's usually safe to increase it if you need though. I've seen some environments where a lot of small files are open at a time and it didn't harm anything to increase it to handle it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK thanks, that's what I thought. I've got a machine with 144gb memory and the file-max value is pretty large in comparison to every example I'm seeing online so I didn't know if that was just a function of the discussions being outdated or whether it was that this machine is loaded with memory :)

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

xtal posted:

I'm trying to run a program to sync my Firefox profile to RAM at startup and shutdown on Ubuntu 12.04. I have the startup part working, with ~/.config/autostart (a GNOME thing?) and I was wondering if there's anything similar to run programs at logout or shutdown at the user level (as in, without /etc/init.d.)

I tried to use /etc/init.d to delegate to a file in $HOME, but I couldn't make it work correctly. I'm not sure if the issue is permissions, environment variables or what.

For X sessions the login manager handles logging in/out. I don't think that logging out of your desktop changes the current runlevel in ubuntu so init.d wouldn't be of much help. In 12.04 the default login manager is lightdm so you'll want to edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and use these options.

code:
#session-setup-script= Script to run when starting a user session (runs as root)
#session-cleanup-script= Script to run when quitting a user session (runs as root)
Another, possibly better, option is to start firefox via a script/wrapper that handles moving the profile to and from a ramdisk. Make sure you set $HOME/bin as the front of your path in ~/.profile and then make just name your script the same as the firefox executable and stuff it in ~/bin.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 23, 2012

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Okay, so I am thinking of building a Linux box, and I want to do so from scratch, it seems Arch Linux or SlackWare are pretty much the only two popular distro's that allow you to build them from the ground up. What packages am I going to need to get a decent KDE desktop up and running?

I have never built my own custom distro, and I am also new to Linux, however I work on (old late 90's) HP-UX all the time, so command line does not scare me.

If anyone knows of some commonly used "cannot live without" essential Linux packages to add into my Arch setup, I would love to know what they are. I know I am going to need at a minimum Firefox, OpenOffice or LibreOffice, and Transmission, I would also like to be able to listen to music and watch videos on my system, is there a package containing the codecs for digital media similar to ubuntu-restricted-extras?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I can't speak for SlackWare, but Arch has a pretty decent step by step guide to get you started, and then plenty of wiki material for getting your Window Manager and Desktop Environment up and running.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Info on codecs.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Codecs

The main thing is you get tonnes of choice, there are heaps of music players, video players, window managers, etc out there. Go nuts and figure out which ones work well for you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Common_Applications

Just be prepared to spend a lot of time getting the system the way you like it, and be careful with the rolling release of updates, as it can break things being on the bleeding edge of updates.

edit: To add, I no longer use Arch because I was tired of getting things working for me, but I did learn a lot about the kind of set up I wanted to configure towards with other distros. I'm now back to using Ubuntu, although I use the XMonad Window Manager with Unity2D rather than straight Unity.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 23, 2012

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Maluco Marinero posted:

I can't speak for SlackWare, but Arch has a pretty decent step by step guide to get you started, and then plenty of wiki material for getting your Window Manager and Desktop Environment up and running.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Info on codecs.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Codecs

The main thing is you get tonnes of choice, there are heaps of music players, video players, window managers, etc out there. Go nuts and figure out which ones work well for you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Common_Applications

Just be prepared to spend a lot of time getting the system the way you like it, and be careful with the rolling release of updates, as it can break things being on the bleeding edge of updates.

edit: To add, I no longer use Arch because I was tired of getting things working for me, but I did learn a lot about the kind of set up I wanted to configure towards with other distros. I'm now back to using Ubuntu, although I use the XMonad Window Manager with Unity2D rather than straight Unity.

Arch sounds like what I am looking for then, because I look at other distros, and while they are nice, I am worried that once I get into tweaking with them I will break something that I didn't know existed and then oops, there goes my OS. With Arch, things are only there if I put them there. This whole thing will have to wait until I get back from deployment, as I do not have reliable access to the internet for doing the initial set up and configuration of Arch.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Longinus00 posted:

For X sessions the login manager handles logging in/out. I don't think that logging out of your desktop changes the current runlevel in ubuntu so init.d wouldn't be of much help. In 12.04 the default login manager is lightdm so you'll want to edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and use these options.

code:
#session-setup-script= Script to run when starting a user session (runs as root)
#session-cleanup-script= Script to run when quitting a user session (runs as root)
Another, possibly better, option is to start firefox via a script/wrapper that handles moving the profile to and from a ramdisk. Make sure you set $HOME/bin as the front of your path in ~/.profile and then make just name your script the same as the firefox executable and stuff it in ~/bin.

I do have it set up run automatically at startup and every 15 minutes, I'm just looking for increase granularity without running it at a shorter cron interval (because it wakes up the hard drive.) I'll look into lightdm.conf, thanks!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

Arch sounds like what I am looking for then, because I look at other distros, and while they are nice, I am worried that once I get into tweaking with them I will break something that I didn't know existed and then oops, there goes my OS. With Arch, things are only there if I put them there. This whole thing will have to wait until I get back from deployment, as I do not have reliable access to the internet for doing the initial set up and configuration of Arch.

I'm pretty sure arch has dependency management. You actually want slackware if "things are only there if I put them there" is what you're really after.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, that's true. Arch, while starting off barebones, will pull in dependencies for any packages you explicitly install. This can result in a bit of a clusterfuck for complicated programs, with some bloat if you're using applications that use different windows toolkits or other dependencies like that.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Okay, so I am thinking of building a Linux box, and I want to do so from scratch, it seems Arch Linux or SlackWare are pretty much the only two popular distro's that allow you to build them from the ground up. What packages am I going to need to get a decent KDE desktop up and running?

I have never built my own custom distro, and I am also new to Linux, however I work on (old late 90's) HP-UX all the time, so command line does not scare me.

If anyone knows of some commonly used "cannot live without" essential Linux packages to add into my Arch setup, I would love to know what they are. I know I am going to need at a minimum Firefox, OpenOffice or LibreOffice, and Transmission, I would also like to be able to listen to music and watch videos on my system, is there a package containing the codecs for digital media similar to ubuntu-restricted-extras?

Uh, what? I can't think of any distribution that locks you into specific software except for the kernel you run and other system level tools. If you want KDE there's premade KDE-specific distributions like the Fedora KDE spin or Kubuntu, and if you want to install that stuff yourself there's Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, ect... If you would rather stay with Unix there's always Open/Net/FreeBSD. If you want software just google search it and add "linux" to the end of it, or look at the wikipedia software comparison pages.

I wouldn't really expect this to hold true. Linux distributions don't differ because of the software available to the user or how the third-party software runs on the computer.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
If I were to use a program like sar to see loads during a certain time, is there a way I could try to see what processes were causing the high load at that time? Sort of like top, but historical.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crush posted:

If I were to use a program like sar to see loads during a certain time, is there a way I could try to see what processes were causing the high load at that time? Sort of like top, but historical.

Have a cront task run every 5 seconds that takes the output of ps or top and saves the top ten cpu using processes and logs it to a file, then open that file in gnumeric and make a chart

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Crush posted:

Check out dstat. It's handy for checking on things like this (I've used it for similar tasks at work.).

You can run this in a screen'd process on the server, and let it collect data until you see the issue again (depending on how quickly you update, the file you save to shouldn't grow too much.).

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I'm trying to setup up an HA iSCSI cluster using pacemaker and corosync. I have two targets sharing out the same block underlying block device. On my initiator I am running dbench and then using pacemaker to fail-over the vip from tgt1 to tgt2. When this happens the OCFS2 filesystem I'm using on the initiator corrupts. I figure I'm doing something wrong. I'm using RHEL6/CentOS6/UEL6 (don't ask)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I'm trying to setup up an HA iSCSI cluster using pacemaker and corosync. I have two targets out the same block underlying block device. On my initiator I am dbench and then using pacemaker to fail-over the vip from tgt1 to tgt2. When this happens the OCFS2 filesystem I'm using on the initiator corrupts. I figure I'm doing something wrong. I'm using RHEL6/CentOS6/UEL6 (don't ask)

Are you using clvmd? cman? OCFS2's cluster.conf? Is STONITH triggering?

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
So....I have a really really stupid question.

I have installed Debian testing. I have an ATI card. I downloaded the ATI driver and ran/installed it. Now how do I enable it? I've read the Debian documentation on it, and read that I need to xorg.conf to enable it just like nvidia's driver, but I can't get it to work, is there something I'm missing?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Megaman posted:

So....I have a really really stupid question.

I have installed Debian testing. I have an ATI card. I downloaded the ATI driver and ran/installed it. Now how do I enable it? I've read the Debian documentation on it, and read that I need to xorg.conf to enable it just like nvidia's driver, but I can't get it to work, is there something I'm missing?

If you went to ATI's website and downloaded and installed a driver from there, you have already hosed up. If you are lucky, it's easy to recover from. If you are unlucky, you might get to reinstall all your xorg packages.

Debian provides packages which deal with all the nonsense of the proprietary drivers for you. I think for ATI you need to apt-get install fglrx-driver libgl1-fglrx-glx glx-alternative-fglrx and anything else those packages recommend. This will install drivers that actually work with the way Debian is setup, and you get automatic updates as well.

Of course, if you already installed drivers from some other source, you should uninstall those first. And hope and pray that they didn't break something, because it turns out that companies producing their own installation scripts tend to not do a very good job.

If you don't do it this way, then at best, every time your xorg or kernel packages are upgraded, your graphics will mysteriously stop working until you install the ATI drivers again. Much more likely is that sometime down the road you will lose graphics and be unable to fix it because you will by that point have a bunch of conflicting partially-installed different versions of various graphics drivers all installed on top of eachother. This doesn't happen if you stick with the Debian packages.

The important lesson here is that you shouldn't ever install anything on a modern Linux system without going through the package manager. Anyone who tells you to compile something from source or download some random tarball to do anything is crazy. If you're coming from Windows, you probably have this intuition that you can install stuff by going on the Internet and searching for whatever you want and downloading some installer. This intuition is completely incorrect for modern Linux systems; you should think of them as being like smartphones with an app store and just always install from the package manager.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Also, please consider using the open-source radeon driver. Its performance is on par with AMD's official Catalyst drivers these days.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, please consider using the open-source radeon driver. Its performance is on par with AMD's official Catalyst drivers these days.

Even doing OpenCL poo poo like hashcat?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

evol262 posted:

Are you using clvmd? cman? OCFS2's cluster.conf? Is STONITH triggering?

No idea what clvmd or cman are. STONITH isn't triggering, the node. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the iSCSI set up and OCFS2 not handling the 10 second or so time it takes to failover. In any case I've been asked to give up on that retarded scenario and implement a HA FTP.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wh-what??? Not even close, at least not for 3D.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_r600g_compete12&num=13

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Goon Matchmaker posted:

No idea what clvmd or cman are. STONITH isn't triggering, the node. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the iSCSI set up and OCFS2 not handling the 10 second or so time it takes to failover. In any case I've been asked to give up on that retarded scenario and implement a HA FTP.

cman is part of Redhat cluster suite. Generally, it handles fencing and soforth better than Pacemaker. Guess it's a non-issue now, though.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

evol262 posted:

cman is part of Redhat cluster suite. Generally, it handles fencing and soforth better than Pacemaker. Guess it's a non-issue now, though.

Yeah. It's a good thing its a non-issue. What I was being asked to do was take a VMDK on one security layer, hook it up to two VMs in another security layer, share it as a block device over iSCSI to VMs in another security layer and have those VMs run OCFS2 on top of that block device. More or less storage inception.

Luckily dev pulled their head out of their rear end and realized we can get something much better if they just ftp the files between the layers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a good way to give a single account SFTP access to a only a single directory (and sub-directories) that's already owned by another user? Right now /var/www/joomla is owned by our webdeploy user which also owns /var/www/railsappXYZ. Just make a 'joomlaadmin' user and chown that folder?

Our marketing guy wants to give some Eastern European Joomla module author SFTP access to our web server (Linux+Apache) so he can figure out why his module doesn't work. It's a live website (our company site that doesn't get much traffic, but still) and it's also on the same server where all our Rails apps live.

I'm incredibly reluctant to give out access to our server like that. Do I just need to research ACL's?

Should have stuck the company website on it's own little Rackspace Cloud server when we started this whole Joomla project, I know. It'd probably take a whole day to move over since we have mailing lists and other forms that we'd have to fix up.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

"Tweaked Git" means the development version of radeon at the time, and I'm guessing he compiled it in May or early June, given by the publication date. As a result of Valve pumping money into mesa development, it's gotten some really good performance enhancements even later than that.

The numbers don't really tell me anything. It's running at fairly good quality at 100fps, which is already above the limit of frames that you're going to see. Commercial graphics card drivers cheat and don't even bother rendering half the frames when not synced to vblank in an attempt to score some benchmark numbers. The user is not going to see 2 out of the 3 frames in 200fps anyway.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Bob: Isn't that what groups are for?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Morkai posted:

Even doing OpenCL poo poo like hashcat?

Ah, I guess that's a thing. Clover (the OpenCL implementation) is basically demoware and far from complete.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a good way to give a single account SFTP access to a only a single directory (and sub-directories) that's already owned by another user? Right now /var/www/joomla is owned by our webdeploy user which also owns /var/www/railsappXYZ. Just make a 'joomlaadmin' user and chown that folder?

Our marketing guy wants to give some Eastern European Joomla module author SFTP access to our web server (Linux+Apache) so he can figure out why his module doesn't work. It's a live website (our company site that doesn't get much traffic, but still) and it's also on the same server where all our Rails apps live.

I'm incredibly reluctant to give out access to our server like that. Do I just need to research ACL's?

Should have stuck the company website on it's own little Rackspace Cloud server when we started this whole Joomla project, I know. It'd probably take a whole day to move over since we have mailing lists and other forms that we'd have to fix up.

chgrp -R somegroup folder
chmod g+s folder

will work...ish.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but it seems like it's either here or the Ubuntu thread.

Is there any disadvantage to installing Ubuntu through Wubi over installing it through a CD/USB?

I'm installing it in the first place because I've finally come to realise that developing in a variety of programming languages seems a lot simpler using the tools GNU and Linux provide inbuilt rather than Windows, which I only really have because of familiarity + games. I'm also already somewhat comfortable with using a *nix terminal because of university requiring it, whereas I'm not as cool with the Windows cmd or PowerShell, although I have done (very little) PowerShell scripting.

I chose Ubuntu over Linux Mint, openSUSE or Fedora just because it's what seems to have the most accessible support and I'm not really scared off by Unity when I've never tried a different full-featured Linux before in the first place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bewilderment posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but it seems like it's either here or the Ubuntu thread.

Is there any disadvantage to installing Ubuntu through Wubi over installing it through a CD/USB?

I'm installing it in the first place because I've finally come to realise that developing in a variety of programming languages seems a lot simpler using the tools GNU and Linux provide inbuilt rather than Windows, which I only really have because of familiarity + games. I'm also already somewhat comfortable with using a *nix terminal because of university requiring it, whereas I'm not as cool with the Windows cmd or PowerShell, although I have done (very little) PowerShell scripting.

I chose Ubuntu over Linux Mint, openSUSE or Fedora just because it's what seems to have the most accessible support and I'm not really scared off by Unity when I've never tried a different full-featured Linux before in the first place.
Wubi is completely the same as normal Ubuntu aside from installing to a file on your existing NTFS partition and using the existing Windows bootloader to launch grub. By all means install that way. It's extremely convenient if you may want to be able to easily get rid of the Ubuntu installation in the future since you don't have to mess around with partitions.

The only possible downside I can think of is a recurrence of something like a previous bug when upgrading between versions of Ubuntu that made Wubi installations temporarily unusable, but hopefully that won't happen again.

If you ever want to move to a normal partition for whatever reason that should be pretty easy too (well, possibly less easy if you aren't that familiar with linux).

Unity isn't not full-featured or anything, it's just a different interface for launching programs. It's not that major a difference, and you don't have to use it if you don't want anyway.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 28, 2012

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

ACLs aren't as scary as you would expect. I never bothered to learn them but once I did it wasn't that hard to pick up enough to stop idiots from sharing directories and then complaining they can't write to files created by apache or something like that.

My last job had its fair share of people with Easter European coders they hire that they give access to temporarily. Trust them enough to let me totally ruin there site but not have access to the system so they needed temporary logins. Joomla was also always a source of trouble if it was coded wrong (open to attacks etc).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

mystes posted:

Unity isn't not full-featured or anything, it's just a different interface for launching programs. It's not that major a difference, and you don't have to use it if you don't want anyway.

No, I just didn't explain myself properly: all I meant was that my only *nix experience previously was through SSHing to a Solaris terminal, so I don't have any real preconceptions of GNOME, KDE or what have you.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

mystes posted:

Wubi is completely the same as normal Ubuntu aside from installing to a file on your existing NTFS partition and using the existing Windows bootloader to launch grub.

It should also be noted that this means your disk access will be very slow compared to a native install because all your disk access will be into a file on ntfs via ntfs-3g, a FUSE (userspace) filesystem.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bewilderment posted:

No, I just didn't explain myself properly: all I meant was that my only *nix experience previously was through SSHing to a Solaris terminal, so I don't have any real preconceptions of GNOME, KDE or what have you.

You can use whatever desktop shell you want to on *nix. Check the wikipedia article on window managers and read the small bits about each type of window manager, then see the bottom expandable box for typical examples of each style of window manager. Installing something new won't break your current setup either.

Longinus00 posted:

It should also be noted that this means your disk access will be very slow compared to a native install because all your disk access will be into a file on ntfs via ntfs-3g, a FUSE (userspace) filesystem.

Maybe the Wubi setup is slow but the NTFS driver shouldn't be.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

hifi posted:

Maybe the Wubi setup is slow but the NTFS driver shouldn't be.
I don't know about slow but ntfs-3g is at least pretty taxing on the CPU compared to ext4 et al.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
That and like Longinus said, it's implemented as a userspace file system, so the kernel has to make a round trip into and out of userspace rather than kernelspace. I'm not enough of a systems expert to explain why that might hurt performance, but I think that might hurt performance, depending on the workload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

That and like Longinus said, it's implemented as a userspace file system, so the kernel has to make a round trip into and out of userspace rather than kernelspace. I'm not enough of a systems expert to explain why that might hurt performance, but I think that might hurt performance, depending on the workload.

Context switches are expensive and the data has to be copied around more than necessary to get it from the original process to disk.