Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

He won a contest and got free tickets to WrestleMania.

He should be proud.

I'm sad that I'll never see the losing submissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

He won a contest and got free tickets to WrestleMania.

He should be proud.

Wait, what? That was the winner?

:psyduck:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Moth Banquet posted:

Wait, what? That was the winner?

:psyduck:

It was a different time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
A time before eyes were invented?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

A time before eyes were invented?

Well maybe if you had submitted a Photoshop, Mr. "I don't think Rock and Austin popping their heads out of a mound of hot dogs is the best possible cover."

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I like to think Vince personally decided to pick the contest winner, that was the first submission he saw and he just fell into hysterics.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm in a Royal Rumble mood. What are some good ones?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm in a Royal Rumble mood. What are some good ones?

1992 is the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riaiVn12_rk

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"1992 is the best" is the correct answer.

Also, Hogan's hairline at 39 years old is no better than it is today at 59.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I just started up the 92 Rumble and dang! The promos are just so goofy. I like them and hope they bring back something similar. Gotta fill up them 3 hours!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Gonz posted:

"1992 is the best" is the correct answer.

Also, Hogan's hairline at 39 years old is no better than it is today at 59.

Hogan's hairline was already noticeably receding in the early 80s when he was in the AWA, it's hilarious.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Just finished the 92 Rumble and it was a he-Put that cigarette out! A hell of a match.

Any other quality ones?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love the 2007 Royal Rumble, it has the best last two ever. Kind of like a mini-match to cap it off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If you want a so-bad-it's-good, 1995. It seems like the entire rumble was just a distraction before an actual match.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
2004 has some great action and comedy, has a good story throughout it and is really well paced. But a lot of people can't enjoy it as much because of Benoit.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I like Royal Rumble 2007, not so much because of the rumble itself but because it has Cena-Umaga last man standing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just don't watch 1999.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
1998 started out as a hardcore match between Foley and Terry Funk. I think Foley got eliminated and showed up again twice afterward. That one is great just for that. I've also always enjoyed 2000 and 2002. 2002 had Mr. Perfect in the final 3 or 4, and that was a sight to see. While I haven't seen it, I hear good things about 2008 too.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like the 2001 Rumble a lot

If you're in a mood for horrible poo poo, check out 1995, 1999, and 2006.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
2003 and 2005 are both good. Lots of talented workers and lots of thought-out minor moments that build a bunch of different storylines. I've never got the appeal of 2001, it's the epitome of 'hold someone on the ropes between entrances and wait for your turn to get eliminated'

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
where does 2011 stand in order of Good/Bad Rumbles?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The one where Punk keeps doing mic work in between entries and eliminations is great. I think that's 2009.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

britishbornandbread posted:

where does 2011 stand in order of Good/Bad Rumbles?

It dragged too long in parts with the New Nexus followed by Cena and Hornswoggle kick everyone's rear end.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, the New Nexus/Corre/Cena/Hornswoggle thing goes on for a bit too long.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Nut Bunnies posted:

I like the 2001 Rumble a lot

If you're in a mood for horrible poo poo, check out 1995, 1999, and 2006.

I think 06 was the first year that Pat Patterson didn't book the match and it really shows.

two other fun things about that year

1)The poster for it is funny
2) Rey Mysterio came in at number two to win it which is exactly the same as coming in at number 1 but HHH had that spot

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Not only did Triple H get a WWE title match at Wrestlemania that year anyway, his match went on last with crazy entrance theatrics, whereas Rey's match only got like nine minutes.

In fact except for last year, every Royal Runner-up since 2005 has gotten a title match at Wrestlemania:
2005: Cena
2006: Randy (and Triple H)
2007: HBK
2008: Triple H
2009: Triple H
2010: Cena
2011: Santino
2012: Jericho

I like to think that they only book the first 28 eliminations, and the last elimination is actually a shoot every year.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Rarity posted:

'hold someone on the ropes between entrances and wait for your turn to get eliminated'

Is The Rumble workrate light enough in both reality and kayfabe, that they could hold an "All-Stars" Rumble?

They've got Triple H, HBK, Vince, Rock, Lesnar, Mysterio, Undertaker, Cena, Orton, Del Rio and Sheamus, and for the sake of some punches, a signiature move and one bump, could stretch to Duggan, Flair, Batista, Hart and Austin.

Throw in a bunch of qualifying matches for current superstars, and some heels out to upstage the legends, and with the heavily booked nature of The Rumble, it could be feasable?.. I'm not sure if it would actually be any good, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nah, RR in kayfabe is supposed to be gruelling and destroys people.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I don't want to see any all-stars/legends anything matches until Jimmy Snuka is dead and you can guarantee he won't be there.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Little Mac posted:

I don't want to see any all-stars/legends anything matches until Jimmy Snuka is dead and you can guarantee he won't be there.

And even then, there's no guarantee he won't show up anyway.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Little Mac posted:

I shook Snukas hand once, and it was so weak. Like a lady handshake. :smith:

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Web Jew.0 posted:

Not only did Triple H get a WWE title match at Wrestlemania that year anyway, his match went on last with crazy entrance theatrics, whereas Rey's match only got like nine minutes.

And he didn't even pin the champ to win.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

I shook Snukas hand once, and it was so weak. Like a lady handshake. :smith:

Like a lady...who killed someone?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Web Jew.0 posted:

Also that was the year where they first really hosed with the Royal Rumble stipulation. They had Rey lose his WM shot but I believe due to a backlash they just gave him the shot back on SmackDown! Didn't even fight for it - Teddy came out and just said "PLAYA YOU BACK IN THE MATCH"!

Web Jew.0 posted:

In fact except for last year, every Royal Runner-up since 2005 has gotten a title match at Wrestlemania:

Also, every Royal Rumble since 2006 except for 2009 hasn't gotten the promised stip of being on the last match of the most important show of the year:

code:
Year                  RR Winner                WM Placement                WM Main Event

2006                  Rey Mysterio             Semi-Main                   Triple H vs. John Cena
2007                  The Undertaker           4th Match                   John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels
2008                  John Cena                7th Match                   The Undertaker vs. Edge
2009                  Randy Orton              Main Event                  Triple H vs. Randy Orton	
2010                  Edge                     7th Match                   The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
2011                  Alberto Del Rio          Opener                      John Cena vs. The Miz
2012                  Sheamus                  Opener                      John Cena vs. The Rock

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 23, 2012

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HulkaMatt posted:

Also that was the year where they first really hosed with the Royal Rumble stipulation. They had Rey lose his WM shot but I believe due to a backlash they just gave him the shot back on SmackDown! Didn't even fight for it - Teddy came out and just said "PLAYA YOU BACK IN THE MATCH"!

Pretty certain this was the plan all along, as a method of getting Orton over as a serious heel.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

HulkaMatt posted:

The biggest face on Smackdown in the run up to wrestlemania was the recently deceased Eddie Guerrero basically. Rey constantly brought him up in promos, Orton constantly brought him up in promos and Michael Cole and Tazz would not shut the gently caress up about him. So Rey wins the title shot at Royal Rumble (he's doing it for Eddie) and then loses it at No Way Out before Wrestlemania to Orton (he's losing it for Eddie). Then they realise that they hosed up and made Rey to look like a total loving chump so Rey is then back into the Wrestlemania match (Teddy Long just came out in a promo and went yeah you're cool playa Orton had his feet on the ropes), wins the belt in a loving short match and then goes on to have the most glorious title reign in WWE history.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Pretty certain this was the plan all along, as a method of getting Orton over as a serious heel.

I understand that some people here have grown to dislike some of the writers but several have them have come out and said differently.

Edit: also let's be real the build up to the triple threat was terrible and was designed to get nobody over.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 23, 2012

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HulkaMatt posted:

I understand that some people here have grown to dislike some of the writers but several have them have come out and said differently.

Edit: also let's be real the build up to the triple threat was terrible and was designed to get nobody over.

Well, yeah, didn't say it worked. I hate everything about Rey's buildup and title run, every element of it sucked incredibly. The storyline was as dumb as anything I've ever seen and disrespectful even by carny standards--and not just the Orton thing. Just about all the matches, even the Rumble, sucked.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO
What mdae the Elks Lodge in Queens so great for ECW shows?
From what I can gather, it always had hot crowds, but if anyone can elaborate why that place was great to see old ECW shows, please elaborate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

sexy_trash posted:

What mdae the Elks Lodge in Queens so great for ECW shows?
From what I can gather, it always had hot crowds, but if anyone can elaborate why that place was great to see old ECW shows, please elaborate!

Unfixed gas leak.