Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I knew a James Brown in junior high. In the 21st century.

Whoa I went to school with a James Brown. Graduated 2005.

edit:

Yes Kyle Butts plays football for the Waldo J. Wood Memorial High School Trojans.

Peanut President has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Sep 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

I went to the same elementary school as Nick Toon.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Sapphaholic posted:

I've worked with a lady Mignon. You know, like the filet.

Through work I've also encountered a man who told me about his son, Bo. I had to look up this son's name for him for a business transaction, and lo and behold it's actually spelled "Beau". Beau has two definitions:

1. A boyfriend or male admirer.
2. A rich, fashionable young man; a dandy

The man named his son after a name that means boyfriend and I find it incredibly creepy.

Being from Alabama, I'm sad to say that "Bo" is a pretty common name.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I just got back from a restaurant where our female five foot tall pale white redheaded waiter was named Tomahawk Jackson. Which is a name I generally would associate with a Blacksploitation hero.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deific Presence posted:

I have a cousin named Beau who's a cool dude and works for the CIA, so I don't think it puts you that far behind in life.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I used to work with a lady who named her son Diesel. Because his dad drove rigs around.

I vaguely remember some basketball player, pro, who named all of his six kids after himself, even the daughter, just added an A. Anyone remember who that was?

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I used to work with a lady who named her son Diesel. Because his dad drove rigs around.

I vaguely remember some basketball player, pro, who named all of his six kids after himself, even the daughter, just added an A. Anyone remember who that was?

I think that was George Foreman. Quoting wikipedia:

"Foreman has 11 children, and each of his five sons is named George: George Jr., George III, George IV, George V and George VI. His four younger sons are distinguished from one another by the nicknames "Monk," "Big Wheel," "Red" and "Little Joey." Also of issue in his marriage are two daughters named Natalia and Leola. He also has three daughters from a separate relationship: Michi, Freeda and Georgetta. He also adopted a daughter, Isabella Brandie Lilja (Foreman), in 2009."

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Are you thinking of George Foreman, the boxer? He has sons named George Jr., George III, George IV, George V, and George VI and a daughter named Georgetta.

Edit: ^ Yeah, that :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I just got back from a restaurant where our female five foot tall pale white redheaded waiter was named Tomahawk Jackson. Which is a name I generally would associate with a Blacksploitation hero.
This is totally my new Guild Wars character...

On topic (well, the email address subtopic, I guess): I cleared it with my co-worker. I didn't want to post it without her explicit buy-in first.
Our current email pattern is "first up-to-6 of last, first initial".

This makes my coworker 'stoned' :2bong:
Never gets old.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I have a cousin named Beau who's a cool dude and works for the CIA, so I don't think it puts you that far behind in life.
Is it more of an old fashioned name? Before a couple of weeks ago, I only knew of Beau Bridges. Now a guy in my class is named Beau, and he's college aged.

Mechahamster
Oct 9, 2007
Tiny paws of doom

Sapphaholic posted:

Through work I've also encountered a man who told me about his son, Bo. I had to look up this son's name for him for a business transaction, and lo and behold it's actually spelled "Beau". Beau has two definitions:

1. A boyfriend or male admirer.
2. A rich, fashionable young man; a dandy

The man named his son after a name that means boyfriend and I find it incredibly creepy.

Beau literally translates into beautiful or grand, you might be overthinking this a bit.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Beau is really common in Australia with mid 20's guys for some reason. I think there's around four of them in the national rugby league competition at the moment (out of about, I dunno, 430 players or something).

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
There's a guy who works at my bank whose first name is Divinepower. He's from Nigeria if I remember. That's not terrible but very unusual. I guess it was a big thing in Nigeria to name children English word combinations.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I met a man called Andrew Busdriver once. He warned people not to joke about his name. And I have Swedish (I think) co-worker called Vetlemoy. Mild compared to most names in this thread I guess. So a quick google search gave me this website:

http://kidcrave.com/scoop/102-of-the-most-unusual-baby-names-of-2011-infographic/

How many of these kids will change their names as soon as they are legally able?

anhyderous
Dec 21, 2006

Your day has finally come
So wear the hat and do the dance
And let the suit keep wearing you
This year you'll sit and take it
And you will like it
I work with a woman whose maiden name was Gobble. Her first husband's name was Koch. Her father told her she should hyphenate. :v:

I also know a guy named Kristen, pronounced Christian.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Deific Presence posted:

I know a German dude named Bo. Not a nickname.

In middle school I thought the word "wanker" was hilarious and I said it a lot. My dad told me it was a real-rear end last name. I looked in the phone book to prove him wrong, and found a Mr William Wanker who lived on Walton Way in Woodburn.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

ibntumart posted:

OP, can you add a rule against racist bullshit naming stories in your post? At least for the more obvious idiocy like the entries below, most of which are so common as to have their own Snopes entries:
http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp
http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

No one has ever done any of these. Ever. And you will notice usually it's not the person himself/herself who says they themselves encountered this, it's a friend or relative. The race of the people in the stories above may have been removed, but that doesn't change their frankly awful racist origin.

I was sitting in a physical rehab place a few years ago waiting for my friend to get off work to take him home. I'm sitting there reading Cosmo and he comes out, it's still the middle of the day and his shift isn't quite over yet so he's calling out names and asked for a "La-ee-ah" or some bastardization of "Leah." A woman quickly got up and said "La dash a!" and off she went. When he got off work he said that her name really is "La-A" or something like that with the - present in the name. His boss had to talk to him because she's sensitive about it or something.

Off the top my head this semester, there's a Cash Mystery or at least that's how it's pronounced, I don't know the exact spelling when the professor calls it out. Another class has a girl named January and Madea. Madea probably isn't the worst name but reminds me of Tyler Perry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I was once in a bookstore and I heard this woman yelling at her misbehaving, mullet-wearing child.

She actually named her child Raistlin. That's right. After a crippled, insane, fratricidal, theocidal, megalomaniacal evil wizard.

I didn't stick around to see if he had a brother named Caramon, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
My brother-in-law's name is Storm.
He just had a baby named Summer.
She was born in February. :confused:

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
Someone I know, a few years younger than I, named their newborn son Szavret.

Is that a thing? I don't even have any words to describe how blank my brain went when I heard it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Ham Pants posted:

Someone I know, a few years younger than I, named their newborn son Szavret.

Is that a thing? I don't even have any words to describe how blank my brain went when I heard it.

Duhhhh, it's OBVIOUSLY a small Szav!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Khisareth posted:

My brother-in-law's name is Storm.
He just had a baby named Summer.
She was born in February. :confused:

Conceived in May though... ask your sister.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Just FYI, phone books aren't a 100% legit source of weird names, as some of them will let you list yourself under whatever name you choose. My hometown had a listing for Ferris Bueller; it was not an actual person named Ferris Bueller, just a guy who liked the movie and thought it would be funny.

I went to school with a Chinese immigrant family named Wong who thought it was hilarious to tell people "you have wang the Wong number" when they called their house.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Meet Supreme Allah, who was convicted of risk of injury to, injury to, or impairment of morals of a minor under 16 years of age.
http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=1082610&AgencyID=54567

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My sister works in social services. A couple came in with three children: Odin, Loki, and...

Nope, not Thor. Carl. Carl! When you have two kids named after Norse gods, YOU NAME THE THIRD ONE AFTER A NORSE loving GOD, NOT CARL.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

sticklefifer posted:

Nope, not Thor. Carl. Carl! When you have two kids named after Norse gods, YOU NAME THE THIRD ONE AFTER A NORSE loving GOD, NOT CARL.

Maybe he was born on a Wednesday instead of his proper day, so they decided the name Thor wouldn't be appropriate.

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas
From the town I went to college in there was a Dick Longing Real Estate, and it was a common freshman activity to go out at night and steal these signs to decorate the dorm rooms with. Sadly a few years later the agency either gained a partner or got tired of getting their signs stolen and it changed to Henley Longing.

Since I have been teaching I have encountered quite a few unique ones, but the ones that stick with me are Britisheandra prounced British andra. And La'Shee'Deonia which I am sure is completely accurate as she was very careful to correct any errors with the name, as was her mother.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Some strange spellings. I don't really get weird spellings - they're pronounced exactly the same, so your kid's going to still be Aidan S. regardless of whether it's spelled Aidan or Ay'Daghn. The only thing the parents have ensured is that their child will be spelling their name over and over and over for the entirety of their life.

Jackkeyb
Ari'Yahna
Jeulz Mercedez
Tukr
Keightlinne (Caitlin)
JaieeSan Marie (Jason for a girl, I guess)
Xzaviher (Xavier)
Phay'Bein Marquis (Fabian)
Gaberial Michael
Iyeciss (Isis)
Ameile'onna Rene'a Annmarie (Emiliana - how was Annmarie left untouched?)
Trista Angeleighec (Angelic)
X'zvoyvier (Xavier seems to come off badly here)
Jakeup Robert (Jakeup! Jakedown!)
Ssqwtyhese (Socrates)
Jewelee'a Emmalee (Julia Emily)
Kaitelyine Rhea (Caitlin is as bad as Xavier)
Hughstin
Eileighanna Madison (Eliana)
Chris-T-Yanna Tanea'
Jahnythan Henry-lee (Jonathan)
Emelleyana Amor (Emiliana)
Phayth (Faith)
Tytiahnya Marie (Tatiana)
LaTeasha Esstrayia (Leticia Estrella)
and, last one for now...
Ah'Lyss (Alice)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

There's an office on my floor with a sign indicating Richard Buggs works there.

From what I know of the world so far I can only suppose he does in fact go by Dick.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bonster posted:

Some strange spellings. I don't really get weird spellings - they're pronounced exactly the same, so your kid's going to still be Aidan S. regardless of whether it's spelled Aidan or Ay'Daghn. The only thing the parents have ensured is that their child will be spelling their name over and over and over for the entirety of their life.

Jackkeyb
Ari'Yahna
Jeulz Mercedez
Tukr
Keightlinne (Caitlin)
JaieeSan Marie (Jason for a girl, I guess)
Xzaviher (Xavier)
Phay'Bein Marquis (Fabian)
Gaberial Michael
Iyeciss (Isis)
Ameile'onna Rene'a Annmarie (Emiliana - how was Annmarie left untouched?)
Trista Angeleighec (Angelic)
X'zvoyvier (Xavier seems to come off badly here)
Jakeup Robert (Jakeup! Jakedown!)
Ssqwtyhese (Socrates)
Jewelee'a Emmalee (Julia Emily)
Kaitelyine Rhea (Caitlin is as bad as Xavier)
Hughstin
Eileighanna Madison (Eliana)
Chris-T-Yanna Tanea'
Jahnythan Henry-lee (Jonathan)
Emelleyana Amor (Emiliana)
Phayth (Faith)
Tytiahnya Marie (Tatiana)
LaTeasha Esstrayia (Leticia Estrella)
and, last one for now...
Ah'Lyss (Alice)

Fess up, you are Diana from NWMH, aren't you?

KGmeow
Oct 5, 2007

An old classmate from high school named their son Jendo. A peer advisor from college named their son Ronin Galileo. I have the horrible feeling that the first couple was inspired by Evangelion. :cripes:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

bringmyfishback posted:

Fess up, you are Diana from NWMH, aren't you?

Ha! No, but I post there. It's wwww.bonster.net

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

jojoinnit posted:

Conceived in May though... ask your sister.

But May is still spring.

An old coworker of my husband's was named Lambchop. He went by Bill.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Sapphaholic posted:

Maybe he was born on a Wednesday instead of his proper day, so they decided the name Thor wouldn't be appropriate.

Yeah the proper name here would be Odin II - Odin harder.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
I met a Persian-Canadian girl named Negar. I'd probably change that if that were my name, but whatever. Also, Fungai (pronounced like fungi), which is apparently a common girl's name in Zimbabwe.

Also: Vienna Schnitzler.

NewtGoongrich has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Sep 26, 2012

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010
I don't know if it's some weird Norwegian thing to give your kid your last name as a first name, but I've met both a Henrik Henriksen and Kittel Kittelsen. :psyduck:

dogsgowoof
Sep 26, 2012
I used to work with a guy named Zebulon Trinity. Not sure what his parents had in mind with that name.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

the yeti posted:

There's an office on my floor with a sign indicating Richard Buggs works there.

From what I know of the world so far I can only suppose he does in fact go by Dick.

I have a friend from high school whose name is Richard Biggs. Yep, his real name.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

I have a friend from high school whose name is Richard Biggs. Yep, his real name.

I'm not sure if parents are the best or the worst trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
So many variants of La-a have been told that I wouldn't be surprised if someone now gives it to their kid to be 'ironic'.

Now back to our topic--

I went to school with a MerryBird and a Starlynne.

Then there's the truly wild world of athlete names. My favorite is God Shammgod, while this year's Olympian Destiny Hooker is right there.