Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

YggiDee posted:

You can get Stop in the Word of Balance from Golem.
I actually never knew you could get Zona Seeker or Golem in the World of Balance until now. Well, that would have saved me quite a lot of Rage-grinding. Ah, well, I got the Bug rage. Second Veldt encounter after I posted that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vinchenz posted:

DQ6 is the hardest game in the series, IMO. Its the only one you really need to grind in.

I've started playing X-2 and hoping to get 100%. It's really nerve racking not knowing if you have exactly the percentage you need (I'm following a guide to make sure I don't miss anything). Game doesn't seem too long, though, which is nice.

I've also been slogging through FFVIII while watching movies at night. God I hate Squall, but I'm trying to beat every game I haven't yet before the end of the year. After that I will beat IX(:dance:) , finish up XIII and then finally start XIII-2.

DQ6 is both the hardest and easiest in the series I'd say. Mudo's probably the worst DQ boss I'd ever fought and I couldn't imagine dealing with him playing on a console since it would've taken another 5+ levels to have a chance against him.

However once he's dead Dharma opens up and that's the end of challenge. At level 25-26 you get class credit from fairly weak stuff still and over the course of a couple hours you can get a class or two mastered on your characters which makes life far easier; especially if your party is turned in to something like battlemaster/paladin/ranger/sage. Plus once your main character gets hero and learns meditate their survival just becomes a matter of patience and not dying to instant-death stuff.

Dr Pepper posted:

What?

FFX-2 has more in common with FFXIII then The Last Remnant.

I forget where the interview was but one of the SE developers mentioned something to the effect of "this game's [combat] system is the basis we're looking to use for our next games including Final Fantasy."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honestly I assume that the AI controlled party members came more from FFXII then anything else.

Then again, I've always described The Last Remnant as a combination of SaGa, Ogre Battle, and Final Fantasy XII. :v:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Dr Pepper posted:

Then again, I've always described The Last Remnant as a combination of SaGa, Ogre Battle, and Final Fantasy XII. :v:
In a strange way, I kind of enjoy games like The Last Remnant and the SaGa games, just because I get a bit of a rush from the challenge of just figuring out how the gently caress Kawazu intended people to play them. Also, I have to admit that every SaGa game I've played has at least some good visuals.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've been struggling trying to remember the name of a particular Final Fantasy. All I really had to go on was a write up of a gameplay trailer. It was one with a more modern setting, the characters were a squad sent in to break up a cult that was in the middle of a ritual to summon Ifrit. I rememebr the writer being worried because the cultists were dressed up like Arambs/Muslims.

It just kind of popped into my head the other day as a sort of "what ever happened with that"

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or did my memory end up inserting Final Fantasy elements into a different game that was sort of similar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You are thinking of a tech demo they released recently. It isn't a game, just an example of one of their new engines.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is so loving good they added anime cutscenes with voice acting and yet made it better.

The cutscenes and the voice acting were top notch, though.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 23, 2014

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dr Pepper posted:

Honestly I assume that the AI controlled party members came more from FFXII then anything else.

The worst parts of all three! No wonder...

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
So, after playing a good 10 hours of Final Fantasy VII, I can safely say that it is a game I do not enjoy in the slightest.

Well, that's a hyperbole, the battle system is solid, if a little clunky at times.

That said, I'm going to ride this train to the very last stop. Hopefully I'll start to enjoy it or parts of it that I couldn't appreciate before. It's not like it's a bad game, it's just a game not tailored to my preferences.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've been struggling trying to remember the name of a particular Final Fantasy. All I really had to go on was a write up of a gameplay trailer. It was one with a more modern setting, the characters were a squad sent in to break up a cult that was in the middle of a ritual to summon Ifrit. I rememebr the writer being worried because the cultists were dressed up like Arambs/Muslims.

It just kind of popped into my head the other day as a sort of "what ever happened with that"

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or did my memory end up inserting Final Fantasy elements into a different game that was sort of similar.

That was Agni's Philosophy, a tech demo from E3 2012, which is neither a game nor related to Final Fantasy at all other than also being made by Square Enix.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Mister Roboto posted:

I'd support it JUST to read the 1000 internet explosions about how Square-Enix is racist, is not racist, supports terrorists, hates terrorists, encourages terrorism, sold out to the US audience, something something rape/missing white girl media, hates Mulsims, actually no they like Muslims and it's Arab sheiks they hate I can tell by the clothing style, and how it's the worst FF ever and this time I really mean it.

I actually really want to see Square make an original IP based off that trailer. Something new, fresh, and isn't comparable to Final Fantasy.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Arrrthritis posted:

That said, I'm going to ride this train to the very last stop.

I believe what you meant to say was

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
13-2 is a pretty mixed bag, but I am loving the hell out of the monster customizing stuff for some reason. I'm easily amused I guess, but I just love giving flans or whatever a whole bunch of spells and godly abilities and slapping a street urchin hat or groucho mustache on him and sending him out to go gently caress up some dragons. A monster god army of chocobos with reading glasses and toothy dog type things with pretty ribbons on their tails. It's just a shame there isn't much left to kill with this immensely stupid looking army. Are the dlc boss battles actually hard?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Little Mac posted:

I believe what you meant to say was

One of the things that really makes the game tolerable for me, is that in a drunken haze my buddies and myself decided to name all of the characters after cereal mascots. Seeing CtChocula and CptCrunch fight over some trivial poo poo makes for some good times.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

13-2 is a pretty mixed bag, but I am loving the hell out of the monster customizing stuff for some reason. I'm easily amused I guess, but I just love giving flans or whatever a whole bunch of spells and godly abilities and slapping a street urchin hat or groucho mustache on him and sending him out to go gently caress up some dragons. A monster god army of chocobos with reading glasses and toothy dog type things with pretty ribbons on their tails. It's just a shame there isn't much left to kill with this immensely stupid looking army. Are the dlc boss battles actually hard?

I was talking about it to a friend and he said "You can basically breed monsters" Which honestly sounds kinda cool. Adds a Pokemon-lite concept to FF13.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CloseFriend posted:

In a strange way, I kind of enjoy games like The Last Remnant and the SaGa games, just because I get a bit of a rush from the challenge of just figuring out how the gently caress Kawazu intended people to play them. Also, I have to admit that every SaGa game I've played has at least some good visuals.

In the case of Last Remnant it's "read a guide so you don't turn a potentially powerful character into a useless one (like giving the 4-armed guy magic :emo:) and go get hidden skills like Eclipse and cycle targets every round until the ability comes up, then kill all the things." :v:

Having even a little control over your character's actions would've made the game far more bearable. Watching a group get wiped out because none of your other groups can be bothered to use healing magic/items on them is painfully dumb.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cardboard Fox posted:

I actually really want to see Square make an original IP based off that trailer. Something new, fresh, and isn't comparable to Final Fantasy.

An original IP that takes the fantasy elements of the company's most successful games and inserts them into a model of our modern-day world... Now that could be a cool concept.

Unfortunately, it's also a risk, so I doubt we'll ever see it, or at least in a form that doesn't have "Final Fantasy" slapped on it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Arrrthritis posted:

So, after playing a good 10 hours of Final Fantasy VII, I can safely say that it is a game I do not enjoy in the slightest.

Well, that's a hyperbole, the battle system is solid, if a little clunky at times.

That said, I'm going to ride this train to the very last stop. Hopefully I'll start to enjoy it or parts of it that I couldn't appreciate before. It's not like it's a bad game, it's just a game not tailored to my preferences.

FF7 is aging badly, and the artistic elements of it that made it groundbreaking at the time are now commonplace. For example, the oppressive dirty modern-day atmosphere and the bad guys being corporations. Half the games today have those elements, but in 1997? Rpgs were castles and scary dragons and the villains were Darth Vaders.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Mega64 posted:

An original IP that takes the fantasy elements of the company's most successful games and inserts them into a model of our modern-day world... Now that could be a cool concept.

Unfortunately, it's also a risk, so I doubt we'll ever see it, or at least in a form that doesn't have "Final Fantasy" slapped on it.

Isn't VS. XIII pretty much this. Down to the being slapped with FF and never being seen?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, the best thing SE could have done was make graphic mods work with the new PC version and they didn't even get that right.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Azure_Horizon posted:

The worst parts of all three! No wonder...

It's amazing how it still is a pretty great game then. :colbert:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Mister Roboto posted:

FF7 is aging badly, and the artistic elements of it that made it groundbreaking at the time are now commonplace. For example, the oppressive dirty modern-day atmosphere and the bad guys being corporations. Half the games today have those elements, but in 1997? Rpgs were castles and scary dragons and the villains were Darth Vaders.

What struck me about VII that still sets it apart from 1-6 is the hosed up monster design. We haven't really talked much about monsters in this thread, but when VII lost the detail of sprites and was forced to build monsters out of blocky polygons, the design went from 'crazy cast of humans and magical beasts' to 'insane Lovecraft-with-children's-blocks' designs. The plot reason was, of course, that Mako created all these bizarre mutants of real animals, but I think a lot of that was due to the graphical advances/limitations.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

It's amazing how it still is a pretty great game then. :colbert:

If I found out that a group put out a trainer or patch that fixed some of TLR's "issues", I would run out and obtain a copy this very instant.

As it is, all the annoying poo poo eventually built up enough to put me off of finishing the game, which is a shame, because it really felt like it had the potential to be amazing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Are the dlc boss battles actually hard?

Most of them are hard-ish, but a couple are downright unreasonable.

If you're on 360, good news, there's a sale coming up this week.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was talking about it to a friend and he said "You can basically breed monsters" Which honestly sounds kinda cool. Adds a Pokemon-lite concept to FF13.

Well, every monster has it's own mini chystarium thing that you level up to gain abilities like +15% magic or "gil up" or status and elemental resistances or what ever. Once you find a monster you really like you can start feeding other monsters to it and it will gain whatever abilities they had. You also get whatever spells it knew like thundaga or esuna so you end up going through your monster list and picking and choosing abilities and spells to level up to give to your favorite dudes. The problem is by the time you are able to really get into it you probably can kill pretty much anything. Still it's fun and I hope to see something like it pop up in a future FF game.

Oh, you can also give them funny hats.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Well, every monster has it's own mini chystarium thing that you level up to gain abilities like +15% magic or "gil up" or status and elemental resistances or what ever. Once you find a monster you really like you can start feeding other monsters to it and it will gain whatever abilities they had. You also get whatever spells it knew like thundaga or esuna so you end up going through your monster list and picking and choosing abilities and spells to level up to give to your favorite dudes. The problem is by the time you are able to really get into it you probably can kill pretty much anything. Still it's fun and I hope to see something like it pop up in a future FF game.

Oh, you can also give them funny hats.

Advice that should be given to all players of FF13-2: every monster Role has a skill that can be imparted upon growing that monster to level 99 (provided they can, in fact, reach level 99). It's hidden, but will show up when that monster is infused. They're all really useful.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

What struck me about VII that still sets it apart from 1-6 is the hosed up monster design. We haven't really talked much about monsters in this thread, but when VII lost the detail of sprites and was forced to build monsters out of blocky polygons, the design went from 'crazy cast of humans and magical beasts' to 'insane Lovecraft-with-children's-blocks' designs. The plot reason was, of course, that Mako created all these bizarre mutants of real animals, but I think a lot of that was due to the graphical advances/limitations.

Speaking of hosed up monster designs, anyone else remember Stroper from FFIX? It's a big black penis with tentacles you fight on the Iifa Tree. I forget about them every time I play it, but then I get past Madain Sari and next thing I know it's giant dongs all over.

For reference: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Stroper_(Final_Fantasy_IX)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Best part is that using a Soft kills it, like a boner.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TL posted:

Speaking of hosed up monster designs, anyone else remember Stroper from FFIX? It's a big black penis with tentacles you fight on the Iifa Tree. I forget about them every time I play it, but then I get past Madain Sari and next thing I know it's giant dongs all over.

For reference: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Stroper_(Final_Fantasy_IX)

The stroper's an oldschool D&D enemy too. Think it might have been in FFI? Not sure exactly, but yeah, it's basically a giant dicktree covered in tentacles.

e: stand corrected, the D&D enemy is the roper. Got mistranslated or edited to become the stroper. Still a dicktree, though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fungah! posted:

The stroper's an oldschool D&D enemy too. Think it might have been in FFI? Not sure exactly, but yeah, it's basically a giant dicktree covered in tentacles.

e: stand corrected, the D&D enemy is the roper. Got mistranslated or edited to become the stroper. Still a dicktree, though

No, there was also an enemy called the Stone Roper in addition to the normal one. Stone Roper + character limits = Stroper.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ImpAtom posted:

No, there was also an enemy called the Stone Roper in addition to the normal one. Stone Roper + character limits = Stroper.

Ha, that's a good catch. You the first to figure that one out? If you are, you should put it in the wiki.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Azure_Horizon posted:

Best part is that using a Soft kills it, like a boner.

Came here to post this, but I still think it bears repeating. It's like the enemy designer wasn't even trying to hide his :smuggo:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Vrikkian posted:

Came here to post this, but I still think it bears repeating. It's like the enemy designer wasn't even trying to hide his :smuggo:

I wasn't aware the worked until it was posted here. I had to boot up the game to test it out, and sure enough, it's an instant death, complete with the words "Became to soft to live" flashing at the top of the page. I hear ya, buddy.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
For what it's worth, every stone monster can be killed with a Soft in FFIX. And FFV, and maybe some of the other games as well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's one of those minor things that pops up often in the series. It's pretty amusing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Captain Vittles posted:

For what it's worth, every stone monster can be killed with a Soft in FFIX. And FFV, and maybe some of the other games as well.

Oh man here I was equipping Stone Killer like a chump.

Something that really bugs me about the Killer abilities in FF9:

-You need to know which ones to equip based on the enemies/bosses you're gonna be fighting, unless you want to waste ability slots

-They only increase attack damage by 1.5x. This makes a lot of your skills and abilities useless because mashing X does similar damage for no cost

-If you want your attackers to be worth a drat you need to use them

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Pretty sure they're just mushrooms. Some mushrooms coincidentally look like dongs. But it's not like we've got a Mara situation here.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

-They only increase attack damage by 1.5x. This makes a lot of your skills and abilities useless because mashing X does similar damage for no cost

Do you mean, like to bring turns up faster, or is there a hidden mechanic I've never known about for all these years?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Vil posted:

The only WoB-pertinent thing that comes to mind is that one of the GBA additions is a one-time underwater fight in the WoR. This means you can get all of Mog's dances without recruiting him in the WoB (so long as you bring him for that fight later on, anyway). Normally, doing so means you'd miss out on the water dance - forget the name - because there are no WoR locations where you can fight underwater.

Whether this is of any significance to you, is another matter entirely.
Apparently you can get Water Rondo by also riding the Lethe River if you don't feel like going through the underwater trench.

To the guy playing FFVI, you should get Water Rondo, because Mog's dances are the best.

Has anyone ever done a gimmick playthrough of Mog/Gau/Umaro/Gogo (using Rage or Dance)? The totally automated battle group.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bear Sleuth posted:

Do you mean, like to bring turns up faster, or is there a hidden mechanic I've never known about for all these years?

I think what he's saying is that it only increases the damage of the "Attack" command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

I think what he's saying is that it only increases the damage of the "Attack" command.

Yeah I worded that badly. It only boosts your "Attack" command but not skills that use the attack stats. Quick Example:

Steiner has an ability called "Darkside" that delivers an attack 1.4x your normal damage, but uses some HP. If he's attacking a Beast type enemy with Beast Killer equipped, his normal "Attack" command would have done more damage without the HP cost. It just feels like an oversight that breaks a lot of the balance for those guys.