Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

krushgroove posted:

What witchery did you use to redownload everything?

When I activated and turned on my nexus 7, I realized like 5 minutes later that all of the apps on my android phone had already been downloaded and installed like magic!! It's all just tied to your google account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hmm I can't remember if I backed up my account, but I may have. I've got a nice set of apps now but I'll have to set up Google Backup for next time.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Coming soon: A tablet with a removable battery. This looks more like it's intended for specific uses instead of being an all-purpose tablet, so perhaps the removable battery isn't that ridiculous.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BeastOfExmoor posted:

FWIW, I never was saying that they removed it to make big profits. It just seems really weird to release a top of the line device that's crippled by its lack of storage and also doesn't give the user the ability to change that.

I don't understand your last statement at all.

I realize you weren't saying anything about them making big profits. You jumped in to what I was saying to Syrinxx so I was talking about how what you said reflects on that conversation.

The last statement was referring to the fact that if you think $50 for 8GB is a terrible value, that shouldn't really be affected by how much profit Google is making on that. $50 out of your pocket is $50 out of your pocket.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's been discussed several times. Nexus models will no longer have SD card slots. Here's some of the reasoning:
  • To avoid using USB mass storage
  • To avoid proprietary file systems (exFAT)
  • To avoid user decisions on where to store data
  • To avoid applications being stored on the SD card disappearing when the card is mounted
  • To avoid the need for the physical parts and space needed
Personally I think SD cards need to go away, but it seems I'm in the minority.

What are you supposed to do for content when you have crappy or no internet connection for hours or days? Use it as a bookend? Play games?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

What are you supposed to do for content when you have crappy or no internet connection for hours or days? Use it as a bookend? Play games?
Yeah, play games probably. If I lived in an area where I was frequently without internet access, I probably wouldn't buy an internet tablet, though.

e: I don't use much space, I'm probably in the minority.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 20, 2012

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Got my Blurex N7 case today and really like it from the little I've used it so far. Going to test it some more when I feel like reading some books. I was surprised when it came with a OTG USB cable/dongle. Now I have to decide if it is worth rooting to use my N7 to plug external storage into it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yeah, play games probably. If I lived in an area where I was frequently without internet access, I probably wouldn't buy an internet tablet, though.

e: I don't use much space, I'm probably in the minority.

Just because someone wants to use a lot of media on their tablet in areas without internet access doesn't mean they live in an area without internet access. For example, tablets are pretty much perfect devices to put cartoons and movies on for kids during a car trip, but limited storage affects how easy that is to do. Same for any kind of lengthy travel or trip, really... they're perfect for travel in pretty much every way, and it's a shame when a reliance on the cloud neuters that.

I understand why Google wants to get rid of SD cards, but it'd be nice if there were larger built-in storage options to compensate.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah, gently caress, give me a 256 gb tablet and i'd probably not give a poo poo about external storage anymore.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BrainToad posted:

Got my Blurex N7 case today and really like it from the little I've used it so far. Going to test it some more when I feel like reading some books. I was surprised when it came with a OTG USB cable/dongle. Now I have to decide if it is worth rooting to use my N7 to plug external storage into it.

Doctor rear end in a top hat on the previous page posted:

Apparently this works without needing to root/unlock.

Getting this & a cable this weekend to try out.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

sethsez posted:

For example, tablets are pretty much perfect devices to put cartoons and movies on

Excuse me, those are called anime.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I'm a fan of Kingston's Wi-Drive. It's not the only solution but it's a pretty easy one for adding storage to devices with no removable memory. Sucks to carry around a 2nd device, but if you need it, you need it, I guess.

right arm posted:

Excuse me, those are called anime.

Hahaha. :goonsay:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like Walmart will stop selling Kindles.

They, along with Target, believe that customers want other electronics.

This should be interesting as most people around here where I live bought their Kindle Fires from Walmart. Also, it looks REALLY good for the Nexus 7 as that'll be one of the only cheap tablets Walmart will carry.

Since Walmart just opened up layaway again, I could see the Nexus 7 getting a lot of sales from that store.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 20, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah, gently caress, give me a 256 gb tablet and i'd probably not give a poo poo about external storage anymore.
We're getting there:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/news-events/press-releases/detail?newsId=12062

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

mediaphage posted:

I'm a fan of Kingston's Wi-Drive. It's not the only solution but it's a pretty easy one for adding storage to devices with no removable memory. Sucks to carry around a 2nd device, but if you need it, you need it, I guess.

The fact that this device exists pisses me off so much. It's not Kingston's fault, but the fact that people there are enough people to justify creating a battery powered wi-fi hard drive because their phones lack the storage they need (in an age when 32gb of flash costs $20 retail) is loving stupid.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 20, 2012

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011
This is my Lenovo Ideapad.

This is the usb port on the bottom of it.

When I plug the USB cable that came with it into the computer I can't access the files on its memory, I'd like to be able to drag and drop pictures, mp3s, and videos onto it.

It says USB Debugging active on the Ideapad when connected but nothing happens on my computer, no file explorer opens up, no prompts.

How do I access the data on my Ideapad from my PC?

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
Just got my first Android device, a Nexus 7. Wow, this thing is slick.

1) Installed a bunch of apps, started messing around a bit. Can anyone recommend some MUST-HAVE apps to help make this thing sexier and even cooler than it is?

I'm thinking of HD Widgets, etc.

2) I'm looking to draw storyboards on this app for films, anyone seen anything like this? I have a couple sketch programs I'm going to try out today and see how they work but I cant find anything specifically for drawing them on a tablet. Untapped market?

Also, Dead Trigger looks loving fantastic on this thing. Wow.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

LJONESRYDA posted:

Does your computer show any errors installing drivers? Check the Device Manager and see if there's any exclamation points showing things aren't installed properly. You need a handful of drivers to make all the functionality work, depending on the tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It looks like the Ideapad comes with 4.0, so it uses MTP instead of USB mass storage. If you don't have a Windows 7 (or 8, I guess) computer, you'll have to install something to make MTP work. Here's the one for older version of Windows and here's the one for OS X. After that, you should be able to plug it in and it will show up like a camera.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

It looks like the Ideapad comes with 4.0, so it uses MTP instead of USB mass storage. If you don't have a Windows 7 (or 8, I guess) computer, you'll have to install something to make MTP work. Here's the one for older version of Windows and here's the one for OS X. After that, you should be able to plug it in and it will show up like a camera.

You don't need to download that if you have XP SP2, XP SP3 or Vista. Unless you want to do MTP over Bluetooth.

Only windows users who need to install something for MTP over USB are using XP SP1 or earlier, and are thus morons.

LJONESRYDA have you tried going into My Computer?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

You don't need to download that if you have XP SP2, XP SP3 or Vista. Unless you want to do MTP over Bluetooth.

Only windows users who need to install something for MTP over USB are using XP SP1 or earlier, and are thus morons.
I have a virtual XP machine on SP3 and I had to install it to make it work there!

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

LJONESRYDA have you tried going into My Computer?

Yes I've gone my computer it doesn't show up. I have windows 7 if that helps. There's nothing showing in my device manager.

Edit - I downloaded that MTP update but it didn't do anything either.

LJONESRYDA fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 20, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Take the device and go to settings->storage->three dots->USB computer connection, what does it show?

e: also try turning off USB debugging.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

LJONESRYDA posted:

This is my Lenovo Ideapad.

[mg]http://i45.tinypic.com/5bzl7o.jpg[/timg]

This is the usb port on the bottom of it.

[mg]http://i46.tinypic.com/j669g4.jpg[/timg]

When I plug the USB cable that came with it into the computer I can't access the files on its memory, I'd like to be able to drag and drop pictures, mp3s, and videos onto it.

It says USB Debugging active on the Ideapad when connected but nothing happens on my computer, no file explorer opens up, no prompts.

You are selecting the proper access mode from the notification bar, right?

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
I'm having an issue with my Nexus 7 where it'll periodically act like my headphones have been unplugged, cutting off what I've been listening to, and even sometimes playing through the speaker while I still have the 'phones plugged in. Anybody else?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

LoSesMC posted:

I'm having an issue with my Nexus 7 where it'll periodically act like my headphones have been unplugged, cutting off what I've been listening to, and even sometimes playing through the speaker while I still have the 'phones plugged in. Anybody else?
Look inside the headphone jack hole and use compressed air or something to blow out any dust or lint. Failing that, RMA it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

randyest posted:

Look inside the headphone jack hole and use compressed air or something to blow out any dust or lint. Failing that, RMA it.

First use of 'jackhole' in an Android thread that wasn't an insult.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I'm testing the waters on switching from iOS to Android for my primary phone by using a Nexus 7 tablet I picked up on CL. I'd like to have some connectivity while at work, but WiFi is unavailable here and setting up my own WiFi hotspot is a pretty big no-no.

What are my options using Bluetooth or USB to share an internet connection from my MacBook Pro? I tried setting up a Bluetooth PAN on my MBP, but it doesn't look like it's supported on the N7. Any ideas or advice?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

ColdCock posted:

I'm testing the waters on switching from iOS to Android for my primary phone by using a Nexus 7 tablet I picked up on CL. I'd like to have some connectivity while at work, but WiFi is unavailable here and setting up my own WiFi hotspot is a pretty big no-no.

What are my options using Bluetooth or USB to share an internet connection from my MacBook Pro? I tried setting up a Bluetooth PAN on my MBP, but it doesn't look like it's supported on the N7. Any ideas or advice?

There's a bit on Google's site about it. Scroll down to "Obtain a network connection via Bluetooth tethering"

http://support.google.com/android/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=168930

I've never done it myself, but that should be possible.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Does anyone know if Asus will accept a rooted tablet for warranty repair? I haven't replaced the bootloader, just rooted my TF700. But I need to get it to them at some point to fix the screen lifting issue (which might as well just be called the "Asus issue")

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Does anyone know if Asus will accept a rooted tablet for warranty repair? I haven't replaced the bootloader, just rooted my TF700. But I need to get it to them at some point to fix the screen lifting issue (which might as well just be called the "Asus issue")
By law, they should unless they can somehow prove that altering the software led to a hardware problem. Whether they will follow that or not is entirely debatable.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

By law, they should unless they can somehow prove that altering the software led to a hardware problem. Whether they will follow that or not is entirely debatable.
Which law is that? US law? Not doubting, just curious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

randyest posted:

Which law is that? US law? Not doubting, just curious.

Ah, right, I forgot there's non-Americans here. Anyway, it's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You most often see it discussed in car forums, but it's a general act.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
God i'm pissed, I bought and ran quadrat benchmark, and i'm getting scores on my infinity pad that would make the tf201 look terrible. I know about the ip issue but my cpu score is 30 percent lower than the tf201. Everything on this tablet is jerky and laggy. Pissed.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Paranoid Android is a fantastic ROM for the Nexus. lets you scale all apps and the launcher to larger tablet layouts

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Just ordered a Nexus 7 as Google has finally(?) released it in Japan.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09/24/the-nexus-7-is-now-available-in-japan/

This is my first Android machine and first tablet, so I'm interested in seeing a) if tablets are as useful as everyone says, at this size and b) how Android compares to iOS, because I've given up on Apple so need to decide between Microsoft and Google as my next ecosystem.

At the very least it should be able to replace my (broken) Kindle. Too bad it doesn't have free worldwide 3G like the Kindle did though :(

edit: Also gently caress Google Wallet for not taking JCB.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 25, 2012

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

nightwisher posted:

God i'm pissed, I bought and ran quadrat benchmark, and i'm getting scores on my infinity pad that would make the tf201 look terrible. I know about the ip issue but my cpu score is 30 percent lower than the tf201. Everything on this tablet is jerky and laggy. Pissed.

Ok, upon further testing it looks like the culprit for this is in the Asus customised settings for performance. I had it set to balanced since I first had it because I read that performance drained the battery much quicker in exchange for not much difference in responsiveness. Well I just re-ran the benchmark on performance mode and now i'm outscoring every other device it shows. And wow the interface isn't so laggy anymore. I think I'll try the CM from and trim the fat, and see what I can get from it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

I'm interested in seeing a) if tablets are as useful as everyone says

They're not really useful at all, just immensely convenient & comfortable for some things. Although if you don't have an ereader, that's at least one legitimate use. Anyways, don't go into the tablet thing hoping for extreme usefulness. They're just nice and fun and the best way to read internet stuff in bed.

zmcnulty posted:

how Android compares to iOS, because I've given up on Apple so need to decide between Microsoft and Google as my next ecosystem.

The only reason to move to Microsoft is if you're really in love with the Metro style (which is, admittedly, really awesome). Android is way ahead in the app game, and is infinitely more flexible, and is also really visually slick with stock Jelly Bean.

One big windows turnoff for me is that Microsoft mandates their Metro look and feel extend within apps, so everything ends up feeling really, really "samey." This is also a problem because there are a few annoying usability issues inherent to the Metro style (for example, knowing how long a horizontally scrolling page is), which in turn propagate into every app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

They're not really useful at all, just immensely convenient & comfortable for some things. Although if you don't have an ereader, that's at least one legitimate use. Anyways, don't go into the tablet thing hoping for extreme usefulness. They're just nice and fun and the best way to read internet stuff in bed.

You know that's very subjective, what is 'useful'. "the best way to read internet stuff in bed" is what makes my Nexus 7 extremely useful. I'm not expecting to do Photoshop on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

The Dave posted:

You know that's very subjective, what is 'useful'. "the best way to read internet stuff in bed" is what makes my Nexus 7 extremely useful. I'm not expecting to do Photoshop on it.

Yeah, "useful" is very subjective. There's just this annoying dialogue circulating in the tech world now that PCs are dead and that tablets will overtake everything. I'm just making sure he's not actually expecting that.

I have a pretty small laptop (13") so I was actually annoyed with my nexus 7 for a while, because I couldn't find anything to do with it that I couldn't simply do with my laptop. But then I slowly settled into the mindset that the nexus was just a fun thing for reading with and playing some games on in the pooper and now I love it. I had to actively move myself away from viewing it as a tool and instead view it as a toy.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 25, 2012