Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

When I said that Bend didn't have Pumking I was thankfully wrong. The Whole Foods had this little setup

:woop:

(actually cancel that :woop: because all of Elysian's pumpkin beers are awful)

This is what my Whole Foods looks like exactly Except our pumpkin beer isn't there because it sold out instantly. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
You know for the longest time I've avoided Pabst Blue Ribbon. It's been co-opted by hipsters and let's face it, I wear Buddy Holly frames for my perscription lenses-I'm one step away from being one.

But a buddy bought me one and you know what, I like it. I don't drink it for the taste as it's inoffensive to me, but because it's cheap. $3.00 for 24 ounces of beer. As much as I'd rather be drinking Newcastle or Modello, PBR is the right beer to have when I just want to hang out at my bar and shoot the poo poo. I'll drink something better with food.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Weekend in Maine was nice. Got to try Peeper (good!) and MO (very good!) from Maine Brewing Company. Was very pleasantly surprised with Baxter's Stowaway IPA. I actually liked it more than Peeper, I think. Everything from Gritty McDuff's was pretty bad. Sebago's Brown was meh.

Two different trips to Novare Res resulted in me being pretty drunk. I've never been to a bar who had that big of a cellar for sale. I think the prices seemed reasonable for what they had, but that still meant almost nothing came in less than $15 a bottle. Did splurge on a De Struise Pannepot Reserva from 2008. Very good quad, probably not worth the price for me. But gently caress it. Vacation, right?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

danbanana posted:

Did splurge on a De Struise Pannepot Reserva from 2008. Very good quad, probably not worth the price for me. But gently caress it. Vacation, right?

How much did it run you? Those bottles are around $5-$6 here.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Newbie here. I found a cool bottle shop near my house, and I've been walking through and picking up things that look interesting as well as asking the very nice proprietor for suggestions here and there. I feel like I have a semi-decent handle on what to expect from most of the common styles, but I'd appreciate any tips on good introductions to the world of Belgians. I've had Chimay before, but it's been a few years so I remember liking it but not why.

PS- thanks to everyone who made a big deal about FBS. The shop just got some in on Friday and I picked up a four pack. I'm a fan.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

How much did it run you? Those bottles are around $5-$6 here.

$13? I don't remember exactly.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

The Bunk posted:

Newbie here. I found a cool bottle shop near my house, and I've been walking through and picking up things that look interesting as well as asking the very nice proprietor for suggestions here and there. I feel like I have a semi-decent handle on what to expect from most of the common styles, but I'd appreciate any tips on good introductions to the world of Belgians. I've had Chimay before, but it's been a few years so I remember liking it but not why.

PS- thanks to everyone who made a big deal about FBS. The shop just got some in on Friday and I picked up a four pack. I'm a fan.

Try any of the trappist breweries you can find: Rochefort, Chimay, Orval, Westmalle, Westvleteren, Achel, and I can't remember the last. Add St. Bernardus there for good measure. As for some American ones, Victory's V12 is a good quad.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Benny the Snake posted:

You know for the longest time I've avoided Pabst Blue Ribbon. It's been co-opted by hipsters and let's face it, I wear Buddy Holly frames for my perscription lenses-I'm one step away from being one.

gently caress the hipster stigma, and everything else that might get between you and a beer. Drink what you want. Try everything.

I grew up drinking Corona and PBR with my mom and Rolling Rock with my dad's friends, and I don't care what the popular consensus is on any of the three.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 24, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ho-ho-holy poo poo :aaa: could it be another King Henry ish titan?

https://twitter.com/GooseIsland/status/250259495572353025

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Ho-ho-holy poo poo :aaa: could it be another King Henry ish titan?

https://twitter.com/GooseIsland/status/250259495572353025

Yum.

It'd be really hard to top KH, though, especially considering the production method used. Then again, if they want to re-brew BCS Rare just to make more KH, I'd hand them lots of money.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Yum.

It'd be really hard to top KH, though, especially considering the production method used. Then again, if they want to re-brew BCS Rare just to make more KH, I'd hand them lots of money.

You and me both. That 2 oz sample pour of KH I had one time hooked me for life.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
My friend's getting married in San Diego near the Gaslamp District early October. I'm guessing that the Best drat Beer Shop is the closest and bestest to pick up beers. Which San Diego / California breweries and beers are the ones I should look for? Especially ones that we can't get in Wisconsin or Chicago.
Also, if any can recommend a bar that has a good tap list in the Gaslamp, that would be great.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Coco13 posted:

Also, if any can recommend a bar that has a good tap list in the Gaslamp, that would be great.

Neighborhood is loving amazing.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
So Bells, continuing to be awesomely against the hype thing, has tapped Bourbon Barrel Batch 9000 and not told anyone or listed it on their board. I guess they just told the bartenders and have allowed word to spread on its own. Also, the beer is really loving good. The new lemon verbena saison is great too.

Bell's: on a roll.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Bell's: on a roll.

loving permanently. I have complete confidence that no matter what it is, if it says Bells on the label I'm going to enjoy it, and so is everyone else in the house.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Whisker Biscuit posted:

So Bells, continuing to be awesomely against the hype thing, has tapped Bourbon Barrel Batch 9000 and not told anyone or listed it on their board. I guess they just told the bartenders and have allowed word to spread on its own.

My understanding is that this is pretty much par the course for them. They don't usually announce special tappings or even really advertise their big bottle releases (Want Black Note? Just show up every day for about two months and you'll get lucky.) Frankly, I think it's refreshing. The beer speaks for itself, not the hype of a release day extravaganza.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I bought a single six-pack of Third Coast Old Ale three years ago and still have two left. Never much into barleywine but I had one of the last two and drat its good. If I were a cellaring type I would seriously consider keeping a bunch down there right now.

air- posted:

Anybody in NYC wanna grab a beer next week? I'll be there from the 27th into that following weekend. Otherwise please suggest good bars! Still working on where I am gonna stay and will post back to narrow the field. Unfortunately, won't have space to bring back bottles as I'm backpacking up there.
Not the deepest of cuts but there's a place called Brouwerij Lane in Greenpoint. They're part bottle store, like Pizza Port bottle shop. They have about twenty beers on tap rotating all the time - I got lucky and got some Founders Breakfast stout there this weekend. You can get a half-pint of each beer (smaller size for stronger beers) for $3 which is as good as it gets for microbrews in NYC (that I've found).

It's next to Paulie Gee pizza which is the best neapolitan-style in NYC right now so it's a good combo.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Coco13 posted:

My friend's getting married in San Diego near the Gaslamp District early October. I'm guessing that the Best drat Beer Shop is the closest and bestest to pick up beers. Which San Diego / California breweries and beers are the ones I should look for? Especially ones that we can't get in Wisconsin or Chicago.

Alpine rarely appears in LA, let alone WI/IL, so that should be your first & foremost priority if we're talking bottles (and not visiting breweries).

Also, using seekabrew.com as my source, I'd say Alesmith as another SD brewery and Russian River as your Pliny hookup.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

I bought a single six-pack of Third Coast Old Ale three years ago and still have two left. Never much into barleywine but I had one of the last two and drat its good. If I were a cellaring type I would seriously consider keeping a bunch down there right now.

Not the deepest of cuts but there's a place called Brouwerij Lane in Greenpoint. They're part bottle store, like Pizza Port bottle shop. They have about twenty beers on tap rotating all the time - I got lucky and got some Founders Breakfast stout there this weekend. You can get a half-pint of each beer (smaller size for stronger beers) for $3 which is as good as it gets for microbrews in NYC (that I've found).

It's next to Paulie Gee pizza which is the best neapolitan-style in NYC right now so it's a good combo.

Oh nice, I've heard a ton about Paulie Gee from the owner of Cane Rosso in Dallas so I will definitely add that on to do list. When I was wandering around H Street the other day, these guys told me to go to Blind Tiger and Pony Bar. And especially Pony Bar since pints there aren't too bad.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I'm drinking Hoppin Frog/De Molen's Super Charged Saison IPA right now. Somehow it manages to be spicy, a little sweet, and still have a bitter finish to it.

For some reason they decided to make this a one time brew, it looks like I'll have to track down another bottle or two before they all disappear!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I've done some trades and "gray market" deals for beer on craigslist over the last year or so. I'm very picky about price, effort, etc. but have found a few people who have been very cool and just trying to get rid of things at reasonable prices because of life-changes like moving or have-too-much-beer.

Like any market, there's the idiots. And there's lots and lots of them on craigslist and seemingly even more now that ebay has completely removed all alcohol sales. And today, I found this guy. $25 a bottle for something that is still probably on the floor at ~20 shops in the area and the most I've seen charged is $8.99.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

I've done some trades and "gray market" deals for beer on craigslist over the last year or so. I'm very picky about price, effort, etc. but have found a few people who have been very cool and just trying to get rid of things at reasonable prices because of life-changes like moving or have-too-much-beer.

Like any market, there's the idiots. And there's lots and lots of them on craigslist and seemingly even more now that ebay has completely removed all alcohol sales. And today, I found this guy. $25 a bottle for something that is still probably on the floor at ~20 shops in the area and the most I've seen charged is $8.99.

I know a shop that's charging $45/4. Needless to say, I won't be buying from them.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Sounds like a store owner who got the case and is not, in-turn, ripping off his customers. Funnily enough though most consumers who are aware of BCS are aware that they have decided to make it year round, or increase the production by a lot, I forget which. Either way, jokes on them, or the suckers they get.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i was gonna post something earlier about a bottle share last night, but the power went out and i never got back to it. instead, i will point out that local bar/restaurant Mekong won Best Beer Bar in America on craftbeer.com. this is, despite my love of the place, entirely not true, but they're celebrating with $1 drafts all night, so i don't care.

also, our very own Kraven Moorhed won a $100 gift certificate to Mekong for writing a bit of clever encouragement on their facebook page... wait, he could buy 100 beers tonight....

air-
Sep 24, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

i was gonna post something earlier about a bottle share last night, but the power went out and i never got back to it. instead, i will point out that local bar/restaurant Mekong won Best Beer Bar in America on craftbeer.com. this is, despite my love of the place, entirely not true, but they're celebrating with $1 drafts all night, so i don't care.

also, our very own Kraven Moorhed won a $100 gift certificate to Mekong for writing a bit of clever encouragement on their facebook page... wait, he could buy 100 beers tonight....

Well gently caress it, guess I'll push the trip back to Durham a day, spend a night in Richmond and swing by there again. Hilarious.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Coco13 posted:

When I was there I went to this bar which had a pretty awesome tap list, not to mention a hilarious secret hipster bar that you get to in the back by literally pushing on the wall of kegs next to the restroom.

As for beers, drink anything Alesmith you can find (Speedway Stout is one of my favorite beers ever), anything that sounds cool from Stone that you don't see in your hometown (they sell beers with peppers or different aging locally that are probably hard to get), Anything from Russian River that happens to be distributed down there, Firestone Walker if you can't get that in your hometown.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

Looks like my local finished third in the mountain west, behind Falling Rock (duh) and Oskar Blues' brewpub (wut). No shame in coming in behind Falling Rock, that place owns. OB has some great guest taps and tasty food, but I don't think I'd put it in the top 3 even in my city let alone the region, so that's kind of a head scratcher. Not complaining about a goofy internet poll, just interesting.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 25, 2012

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Coco13 posted:

Most of the famous SD breweries have pretty big distros now, because all of them were basically insanely good. The big 5 (in order of my preference) are Alesmith, Stone, Ballast Point, Port Brewing, Lost Abbey (last 2 are same company, but whatever).

God among all (IMO) is Russian River; they're NoCal but last time I was in Carlsbad I picked up 3 Plinys at the Port Bottle Shop.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
San Diegoons and those visiting, check this out:

If I weren't already headed to Pizza Port for a birthday lunch this would definitely be where I was at. Pretty fantastic tap list.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm in Rosemont until tomorrow and i bought a 4pack of bcbs and a monster and it came to 35 bucks. I got ripped off didn't I.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

I'm in Rosemont until tomorrow and i bought a 4pack of bcbs and a monster and it came to 35 bucks. I got ripped off didn't I.

How big was the Monster?

Nah. You paid more than retail, but it's not like you threw down $15 a bottle. For me, anything over $8 a bottle is a rip off. $6 or more is acceptable gouging for my favorite beer ever.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I think the love has gone too far on Zombie Dust by a lot. 2.50$ for most pints and its still 7$. SEVEN. No thanks.
How it still enough of a novelty to warrant such a price?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Docjowles posted:

Looks like my local finished third in the mountain west, behind Falling Rock (duh) and Oskar Blues' brewpub (wut). No shame in coming in behind Falling Rock, that place owns. OB has some great guest taps and tasty food, but I don't think I'd put it in the top 3 even in my city let alone the region, so that's kind of a head scratcher. Not complaining about a goofy internet poll, just interesting.

i've only been to two other bars that i could vote on, and one of them (Avenue Pub in New Orleans) is a much better beer bar than Mekong. like you said, it's just a goofy internet poll, but for what's available in our area, Mekong is the best. also, four dollars for a glass each of JW Lees Harvest (25th anniversary firkin!), Gueuze Fond Tradition (eh), Duvel, and Confluence? gently caress yes.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 26, 2012

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

How big was the Monster?

Nah. You paid more than retail, but it's not like you threw down $15 a bottle. For me, anything over $8 a bottle is a rip off. $6 or more is acceptable gouging for my favorite beer ever.

I guess I figured that if dfh can charge 30 four a 4pack of 120 than it's not beyond the pale.

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

ChiTownEddie posted:

I think the love has gone too far on Zombie Dust by a lot. 2.50$ for most pints and its still 7$. SEVEN. No thanks.

I'd rather drive to Munster to get a case for that price...or just buy Daisy Cutter instead.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

funkybottoms posted:

Gueuze Fond Tradition

Just had this tonight at the Blind Tiger in New York. It and the bar were both pretty meh, then again I was drinking Cantillon just a couple days ago in DC with air- so I'm a bit spoiled atm. Blind Tiger was a bit disappointing for what is supposed to be one of the better beer bars in New York City. It's really quite small and though the beer selection was good, it's cramped and they play the music so loud you can barely talk to anyone. People were also constantly reaching between my friend and I to order from the bar which got old real fast.

Also funkybottoms I got your PM, been too busy being a jetsetter to reply. :smugdog: but no really that's cool though I don't think I'll be doing any trading in the immediate future while my wallet recovers from this trip.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

This was utterly hosed up, by the way. Both in the value and the bizarre crowd that it got: lots of beer nerds fervently, drunkenly arguing surrounded by a swarm of bros who'd never heard of the place before that night. Can't complain, though, as I got generous pours of Wookey Jack, Heresy, and JW Lees' Barleywine for $1 each. That's just unreasonable.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

wattershed posted:

San Diegoons and those visiting, check this out:

If I weren't already headed to Pizza Port for a birthday lunch this would definitely be where I was at. Pretty fantastic tap list.

Welp, looks like I just got new plans for this Saturday. Hot drat.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Where are you getting $2.50 craft pints where they're serving Zombie Dust in Chicago? ZD is a really great beer but where are you seeing such a price disparity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
I'm guessing some sort of happy hour or slow-night deal.