Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Come to think of it, I think the biggest laugh the movie got was at the end.

"What happened?"
"Drug bust."

In a similar vein, myself and a bunch of other people in my theater laughed heartily when the first 2 Judges that responded to the distress call were just standing outside of the blast doors, saying they couldn't get in because of a Defcon test. Then the 4 crooked Judges come along and say "open up" over the intercom and the blast doors raise without any effort :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

The biggest laugh I remember (from the five of us at the screening):

Kid: Freeze!
Dredd: Why?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The movie looked very good for its budget. I wonder how much practical effects were used? Please tell me that most of this stuff wasn't CGI!

Also if that was a normal day for them, I'd hate to know what I bad day would be. Also if it was a normal day than why did Dredd give Anderson a pass if she lost her primary weapon?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

In a similar vein, myself and a bunch of other people in my theater laughed heartily when the first 2 Judges that responded to the distress call were just standing outside of the blast doors, saying they couldn't get in because of a Defcon test. Then the 4 crooked Judges come along and say "open up" over the intercom and the blast doors raise without any effort :v:

Yourself and a bunch of other people evidently hadn't been paying attention to the movie, then. Ma-Ma had her tech guy lie about being unable to open the doors.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also if that was a normal day for them, I'd hate to know what I bad day would be. Also if it was a normal day than why did Dredd give Anderson a pass if she lost her primary weapon?

The answer to this question is, I think, the same as the answer to "Why does Dredd let the kids off with a stunning?" and "Why does Dredd let the homeless guy off with a warning (at first)?" It's to show that while Dredd is THE LAW, THE LAW is still a human construct and thus flexible/fallible, even if it doesn't present - or even believe - itself as such.

Clumsy was right, this is a movie that gets better and better the more I think about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jedit posted:

Yourself and a bunch of other people evidently hadn't been paying attention to the movie, then. Ma-Ma had her tech guy lie about being unable to open the doors.

No, I know. I was paying attention. It was just amusing when the doors opened and the main crooked Judge dude shot the 2 first responder guys this "the gently caress y'all been doin'?" look

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The answer to this question is, I think, the same as the answer to "Why does Dredd let the kids off with a stunning?" and "Why does Dredd let the homeless guy off with a warning (at first)?" It's to show that while Dredd is THE LAW, THE LAW is still a human construct and thus flexible/fallible, even if it doesn't present - or even believe - itself as such.

Clumsy was right, this is a movie that gets better and better the more I think about it.

But I read a spoiler that said (Caution HUGE spoilers for Dredd series!) Dredd was created in a lab to be the PERFECT Judge. How does that make sense?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just watched The Raid, and it's quite bizarre how two independently developed stories ended up with so many similarities, even down to pacing and plot twists. Mind you, I suppose if you're starting from the basis of "I want to do a brutal cops-vs-army-of-criminals movie, but on a budget. What's the best way to do that?" then locking the cops in a single location is an obvious starting point, and things went down the same road from there.

Have to admit, I preferred Dredd, and not entirely because I'm a Dredd fan. I thought the action in The Raid was more fluid and better done, but once the cops lost their guns and it became all about martial arts, it got repetitive after a while. By the end of the final fight, the heads of everyone involved should have looked like microwaved potatoes that you forgot to poke with a fork after being punched, kicked and smashed against concrete for about five solid minutes.

Interesting to contrast two very similar movies in terms of 'east' and 'west' (and yes, I know The Raid was written and directed by a Brit). The Raid is all about physical prowess; the strongest are the ones who are best with their fists and feet, whereas in Dredd all power comes from the barrel of a gun. The cops in The Raid leave behind their weapons early on, while when Dredd runs out of regular ammo he resorts to whatever else he's got left, however inappropriate to the situation (giving rise to what to me was the funniest moment in the film), and his first priority afterwards is... finding more ammo. Sure, he'll crush a guy's throat if he has to, but shooting a perp just saves time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

But I read a spoiler that said (Caution HUGE spoilers for Dredd series!) Dredd was created in a lab to be the PERFECT Judge. How does that make sense?

He's a clone of Chief Judge Fargo, the first Chief Judge. He's still human, just like Fargo was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dredd doesn't let the homeless guy off with a warning because the Law is fallible. He lets the guy off only because there are three murders to be dealt with first.

Also, not arresting the guy on the spot is Anderson's call, not Dredd's. Dredd agrees with it, obviously, but if Anderson had recommended cuffing the guy to a rail and picking him up on the way out he would have done that too. The flexibility of the Law is only in what crimes are dealt with and how.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

marktheando posted:

He's a clone of Chief Judge Fargo, the first Chief Judge. He's still human, just like Fargo was.

Are the Dreed comics any good? I'm thinking of reading them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Do they ever show what the cubes look like in the comics? I have always wondered that ever since I played the Dredd vs. Death game.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jedit posted:

Dredd doesn't let the homeless guy off with a warning because the Law is fallible. He lets the guy off only because there are three murders to be dealt with first.

Also, not arresting the guy on the spot is Anderson's call, not Dredd's. Dredd agrees with it, obviously, but if Anderson had recommended cuffing the guy to a rail and picking him up on the way out he would have done that too. The flexibility of the Law is only in what crimes are dealt with and how.

Yes a lot of people seemed to miss that Dredd left most decisions about the case to Anderson, at least until poo poo really hits the fan. Which is cool, since he obviously needs to assess her ability to make decisions in the field as well as her ability to shoot people in the face.

Like half the articles on this movie describe it as Dredd being given the assignment to wipe out slo-mo when actually Anderson chose the triple murder from the cases on her bike computer.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are the Dreed comics any good? I'm thinking of reading them.

Yes. Read the rest of this thread, there's a lot of recommendations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Payndz posted:

Just watched The Raid, and it's quite bizarre how two independently developed stories ended up with so many similarities, even down to pacing and plot twists. Mind you, I suppose if you're starting from the basis of "I want to do a brutal cops-vs-army-of-criminals movie, but on a budget. What's the best way to do that?" then locking the cops in a single location is an obvious starting point, and things went down the same road from there.

Have to admit, I preferred Dredd, and not entirely because I'm a Dredd fan. I thought the action in The Raid was more fluid and better done, but once the cops lost their guns and it became all about martial arts, it got repetitive after a while. By the end of the final fight, the heads of everyone involved should have looked like microwaved potatoes that you forgot to poke with a fork after being punched, kicked and smashed against concrete for about five solid minutes.

Interesting to contrast two very similar movies in terms of 'east' and 'west' (and yes, I know The Raid was written and directed by a Brit). The Raid is all about physical prowess; the strongest are the ones who are best with their fists and feet, whereas in Dredd all power comes from the barrel of a gun. The cops in The Raid leave behind their weapons early on, while when Dredd runs out of regular ammo he resorts to whatever else he's got left, however inappropriate to the situation (giving rise to what to me was the funniest moment in the film), and his first priority afterwards is... finding more ammo. Sure, he'll crush a guy's throat if he has to, but shooting a perp just saves time.

Yeah I watched The Raid two days ago. It was good but it annoyed the gently caress out of me how all the cops died like twenty minutes into the movie. It was literally a slaughter house for five minutes. It just felt like a cheap way to turn focus on the "main characters".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Do they ever show what the cubes look like in the comics? I have always wondered that ever since I played the Dredd vs. Death game.

They've been shown a few times, and the depiction changes - presumably not all Iso-Blocks are the same. But the description "iso-cube" is absolutely literal: they're single-occupancy cubic cells. Usually they have a transparent plasteen front wall (plasteen is basically a steel-tough plexiglass).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also if that was a normal day for them, I'd hate to know what I bad day would be.

Bad* days in Mega City One:

Block Mania/The Apocalypse War - War! And then MORE WAR!
The Day the Law Died - Chief Judge Cal(igula)'s reign (RIP Aaron A Aardvark)
Necropolis - Dark Judges
Day of Chaos - Most recent arc

*Bad defined as at least 25% of Mega City One residents die horribly. (comics spoiler)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
This movie was awesome. I saw The Raid a couple weeks ago but overall, Dredd was the better movie. Urban can do a lot with a scowl.

I think the biggest laugh for me was when Dredd blows up the shotgun judge's head and you hear the other guy say, "Motherfucker!" I thought Dredd was the one who said it because he was surprised at his own kill, and it seemed out of character. My friend told me it was the other guy and I realized my mistake :v:

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
There's a 2000 AD freebie on ClickWheel for anyone interested
http://www.clickwheel.net/features/285

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Jedit posted:

Not sure if this still requires spoilers or not, but since everyone else is, my first thought about that guy was if they had arrested him for vagrancy in the first place, he would have lived. Anderson was lenient and the guy died for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No soundtrack on iTunes? drat.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
I don't know how this movie didn't make a killing over the weekend, as the theatre I saw it in last night in a small town in Alberta, Canada was packed with people on a Sunday night. I don't know whether that speaks to the strong word of mouth the movie's receiving or just the tastes of rural Alberta, but it was heartening to see regardless.

Not much left to say that hasn't already been covered, but drat what a fun movie this is. While it could have been more out-right satirical, the violence is so laughably over-the-top that you're laughing because what you're seeing is so grotesque, not because it's awesome. But I was laughing. A lot.

On the topic of the movie's progressive portrayal of its female protagonist, I liked that not only does she save herself, SHE saves HIM. When Anderson got kidnapped I was really disappointed that the movie was going to make her powerless and that Dredd was going to have to come rescue her. That they inverted the cliche entirely was really refreshing. The best action movie in quite a long while.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!
Saw it in 3d on Saturday. This is hands down the best comic book movie I've ever seen and I liked how they spared no punches with the R rating. With all of the security camera shots and nonstop action I really felt like I was watching a comic book come to life. I really, really want to see more of Megacity-one though. :( I hate watching science fiction films where they come up with this fantastic setting but don't make a sequel or explore it further. They did a fantastic job in portraying what I thought was a realistic dystopian city. I thought the decision to use present day cars in the future added more to the post-apocalyptic feel. I wonder what life must be like in a non-lovely part of the city or a towerblock like the one Anderson looked at when they were outside at the skatepark.

Did anyone catch the world map in the classroom scene? All I could make out was Brasilia. I'd love to see what the rest of the map looks like and if it matches the comics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tripwyre posted:

On the topic of the movie's progressive portrayal of its female protagonist, I liked that not only does she save herself, SHE saves HIM. When Anderson got kidnapped I was really disappointed that the movie was going to make her powerless and that Dredd was going to have to come rescue her. That they inverted the cliche entirely was really refreshing. The best action movie in quite a long while.

Yeah I thought it was pretty cool. I assumed from the beginning she was only there to become a damsel in distress but she stayed competent and just badass enough to not out badass Dredd. The actress played the part well too imo. Actually I really enjoyed the whole cast even though the characters were so simple and one dimensional (not saying that I don't like that they are pretty one dimensional. It worked for the movie)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Which Dredd comic I should start out with? I know someone said "read the thread" earlier, but this thread is HUGE!

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 25, 2012

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I haven't read the comics, but I'd like to think that the point is that it doesn't make sense.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ersatz posted:

I haven't read the comics, but I'd like to think that the point is that it doesn't make sense.

I've only read a couple of the comics and none of the extended storylines, but yeah, that's what I think too. The Judges and the people of Megacity One are conditioned to believe that THE LAW is an infallible part of nature, but of course it's not. Contradictions and hypocrisy are inevitable, and THE LAW is frankly not equipped to deal with all situations.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Have people really not heard of officer's discretion before? Cops can let people off for things based on their own judgement even if it violates the law.

The application of law isn't some ironclad thing that must be followed to the letter. Even in the fictional world this point carries over pretty well. It's probably even more of a factor in this fictional world since Dredd is law enforcement, judge, jury, and executioner rolled into one. It's not like the Judges have aspergers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Modus Operandi posted:

The application of law isn't some ironclad thing that must be followed to the letter.

Of course it isn't in the real world, but in Megacity One, everyone's told it is.

Again though, I'm basing this on the two Judge Dredd movies and the 11 or 12 issues I've read of the comic. I could be wrong.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Tripwyre posted:

One bit I liked was how Anderson killed 50% of the corrupt Judges. I was fully expecting Dredd to kill all of them before coming to her rescue.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Which Dredd comic I should start out with? I know someone said "read the thread" earlier, but this thread is HUGE!
General consensus seems to be 'skip Judge Dredd: Case Files 01, start with 02 or 03'.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Of course it isn't in the real world, but in Megacity One, everyone's told it is.

Again though, I'm basing this on the two Judge Dredd movies and the 11 or 12 issues I've read of the comic. I could be wrong.
If this is the case they probably have different degrees of punishment based on age or situation. Gunning down kids would be a reprehensible application of "law" and devoid of any common sense anyways. People complaining that the movie Dredd didn't just plug the kids have some serious issues. The movie would have just been stupid at that point onward.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 25, 2012

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Modus Operandi posted:

The application of law isn't some ironclad thing that must be followed to the letter. Even in the fictional world this point carries over pretty well. It's probably even more of a factor in this fictional world since Dredd is law enforcement, judge, jury, and executioner rolled into one. It's not like the Judges have aspergers.
Part of what I enjoyed about the film is that its jurisprudence is, I believe, even more nuanced than that. Take, for example, Anderson's explanation to Dredd of her decision to let Ma-Ma's assistant go. Her argument is persuasive, but Dredd's can be seen as equally valid. The assistant is both a victim and a perpetrator, and neither Anderson nor Dredd are "correct," in the sense that the letter of the law demands that he be treated one way or the other. On the one hand, he aided and abetted Ma-Ma, going beyond what was strictly necessary to preserve his own life and contributing to the deaths of many in the process. On the other hand, he was acting under duress. This goes to LtKen's point about the law ultimately being a human construct. The law is indeterminate (there is no objectively correct strict reading), so two judges can reach contradictory conclusions, without either being in error.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 25, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Modus Operandi posted:

If this is the case they probably have different degrees of punishment based on age or situation. Gunning down kids would be a reprehensible application of "law" and devoid of any common sense anyways. People complaining that the movie Dredd didn't just plug the kids have some serious issues. The movie would have just been stupid at that point onward.

I agree with you about the second point, but I also think the whole point of Judge Dredd as a character is to point out that the way the Judge system applies the law is reprehensible.

Edit: also, what the guy above me said.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 25, 2012

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Ersatz posted:

Part of what I enjoyed about the film is that it's jurisprudence is, I believe, even more nuanced than that. Take, for example, Anderson's explanation to Dredd of her decision to let Ma-Ma's assistant go. Her argument is persuasive, but Dredd's can be seen as equally valid. The assistant is both a victim and a felon, and neither Anderson nor Dredd are "correct," in the sense that the letter of the law demands that he be treated one way or the other.

I viewed Anderson's decision as more of a tactical call and Dredd's a legal one

Anderson viewed the assistant as a huge liability to keep him around. Dredd wanted to keep him to ensure proper judgement. I didn't really see Anderson as arguing so much for leniency based on some perceived victimhood by the perp. as she was making a tactical call which turned out to be correct. He was a huge liability that almost got her killed.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Modus Operandi posted:

I viewed Anderson's decision as more of a tactical call and Dredd's a legal one

Anderson viewed the assistant as a huge liability to keep him around. Dredd wanted to keep him to ensure proper judgement. I didn't really see Anderson as arguing so much for leniency based on some perceived victimhood by the perp. as she was making a tactical call which turned out to be correct. He was a huge liability that almost got her killed.
I was thinking of the man with the gouged-out eyes, who ran the building's equipment for Ma-Ma, rather than the man who Anderson psychically interrogates. Sorry for the confusion.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Ersatz posted:

I was thinking of the man with the gouged-out eyes, who ran the building's equipment for Ma-Ma, rather than the man who Anderson psychically interrogates. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh, I agree with that then. However, Anderson had additional information to go on though and i'm pretty sure in that scene she read his mind to know his motives. Dredd didn't have those benefits and has to go with his own discretion. I guess the interesting thing would be if Dredd would have chosen a less lenient course of action on his own if he knew all the things Anderson knew?

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Bioalchemist posted:

Well poo poo Dredd didn't even make top 5 in the US, even the 2nd week of Resident Evil and re-release of Finding Nemo have beaten it :(

A scifi/action movie that's faithful to its source material, light on bullshit cgi, has amazing gunfights, makes good use of 3d effects, and tells a clear, concise, and interesting story.

Of Course it would flop!

I'm confident it will print money on dvd sales though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It failed here in the States because it didn't have enough krumping competitions/giant CGI robots/sparkling vampires in it.

I hate this country.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Modus Operandi posted:

I guess the interesting thing would be if Dredd would have chosen a less lenient course of action on his own if he knew all the things Anderson knew?
Exactly.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Henker posted:

One bit I liked was how Anderson killed 50% of the corrupt Judges. I was fully expecting Dredd to kill all of them before coming to her rescue.

The moment where she opens fire on the corrupt lady judge almost immediately got a big cheer from my audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Saw this on Saturday, and my God, was this a great action movie. Word of mouth, this movie needs to make money. I want Hollywood to know that R rated action movies can profit, and they do not have to soften those movies up for the kids.

• Locked thread