Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Tollymain posted:

A friend of mine called Porrim a stupid useless slut; coupled with other things I've heard him say in the past, I'm sincerely starting to wonder if he's a misogynist :ohdear:

Congrats, your friend is a creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Wow. A lot to love in this update. I spit out my drink when I saw how Meulin communicates. perfect.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tollymain posted:

A friend of mine called Porrim a stupid useless slut; coupled with other things I've heard him say in the past, I'm sincerely starting to wonder if he's a misogynist :ohdear:

The answer is almost certainly yes.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
This is a tumblr wall of text, but pretty well summarizes Terezi's environment and state of mind so far (and why no completely out-of-left-field stuff is necessary): http://fantrolls.tumblr.com/post/32193557216/woah-woah-woah-people-are-talking-poo poo-about. The TLDR is that Terezi really did develop self-esteem issues through doubting her actions in Act 5 and believing that she is losing her place as the Seer in the group holding everyone together towards a common goal, and Karkat and Dave are unintentionally reinforcing her new mistrust of herself and others. In other words, she's a young lady growing up with perfectly human issues.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 24, 2012

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Karkat is living out a troll romance novel, isn't he?

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Karkat is living out a troll romance novel, isn't he?

Dear Troll Penthouse,

I never thought it could happen to me...

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

I like how Hussie is demonstrating the worst kind of "nice guy" behavior with Cronus - and, at the same time, showing one of his heroes exactly doing the opposite. Instead of creeping on the girl he likes and trying to passive-aggressively undermine her relationship, Karkat's accepted that she's moved on to someone else, and is keeping his distance while still supporting her as best he can. It helps show Karkat's increasing maturity, and hopefully it'll teach a few young Homestuck nerds something about relationships.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I like how Hussie is demonstrating the worst kind of "nice guy" behavior with Cronus - and, at the same time, showing one of his heroes exactly doing the opposite. Instead of creeping on the girl he likes and trying to passive-aggressively undermine her relationship, Karkat's accepted that she's moved on to someone else, and is keeping his distance while still supporting her as best he can. It helps show Karkat's increasing maturity, and hopefully it'll teach a few young Homestuck nerds something about relationships.
What I'm seeing is "aww Karkat is sooo cute" before they go back to writing Cronus/Mituna fanfiction. :negative:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I really really want both Vriska and Aranea, and Vriska and Meenah to have a conversation.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Glory of Arioch posted:

Nah, Ruffio Nitram is gonna be awesome. I mean, come on -- he's the Rogue of Breath! He'll easily take our breath away :haw:
I think Ruffio will be pretty cool, but will still won't be helpful. Maybe there will be some sort of Neverland lost boys thing going on where he prefers adventuring in the dream bubbles like Tavros spending his time on Prospit after leaving Vriska to die.

And maybe, if Tavros shows up, he'll be inspired in some way to join the ghost army since the little Condesce needs her Cavalreapers. Since most of her peers are worthless he'd be a valuable ally in comparison, and THAT could be what his self-confidence needs.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Which is funny, considering I saw a few people thinking that Karkat was treating Terezi like an object rather than a person back in year 1 on the meteor. Of course what he was really trying to do was find a way to keep everyone happy. Having failed that (the plan was obviously doomed from the start) he's now moved on to supporting his friend as best he can. Karkat's a pretty cool guy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I really really want both Vriska and Aranea, and Vriska and Meenah to have a conversation.

A Vriska/Meenah conversation would be amazing.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

SirSamVimes posted:

A Vriska/Meenah conversation would be amazing.

Of course this is all purely academic. Vriska and Tavros will triumphantly reenter the story together, Spider8reath playing as they bust out of the afterlife ready to kick some rear end and save the day... three hundred pages after Lord English is defeated, in the middle of the epilogue, still six-and-a-bit sweeps old and probably interrupting some kind of reunion dinner party decades after the immediate aftermath is resolved and all the survivors have settled into some kind of sensible middle-aged routine.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This latest flash was awesome, but the last three Beforus trolls to be revealed are the most interesting to me, especially Nitram. God, I hope his name is some variant of Rufio, like Ruffio or Rufios or Rufion. Rufio IS REAL, Tavros. Rufio is real. :unsmith:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Slime posted:

Karkat's a pretty cool guy.

It'd be funny if John woke up in Karkat's room, and Karkat was able to actually calm John down and show him he's just turning into old Karkat.

And then John wakes up before he can see the rest of the dream bubble because ha ha gently caress you you still have a year to go buddy.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I'm just mentally preparing myself for Ruffio's inevitable death scene, in which hussie runs onscreen and kisses his ghost corpse to try and bring it back to life as a dream-ghost.

please just be mohawk dye please just be mohawk dye haha ok make-believe time is over

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The whole 'this stuff is happening before Jane/Jake/etc enter the medium' thing makes sense, they ARE supposed to be taking 3 years to travel through this intermission so, while I'm not sure exactly when they arrive (isn't it long before since it's implied that they act as 'parents' to their own parents?) I doubt it will be 3 years in the future.

Interdimentional time travel is hard.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Indecisive posted:

The whole 'this stuff is happening before Jane/Jake/etc enter the medium' thing makes sense, they ARE supposed to be taking 3 years to travel through this intermission so, while I'm not sure exactly when they arrive (isn't it long before since it's implied that they act as 'parents' to their own parents?) I doubt it will be 3 years in the future.

Interdimentional time travel is hard.

No. The the alpha kids' guardians were the scratched versions of our kids (IE - the meteor babies that crashed in their respective times), not the ones riding in to the session.

Check out these two panels again.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006606
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006607

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Maybe it's just because I'm one of the seemingly few readers who proactively liked Feferi, but I'm still holding out hope that Meenah has a conversation with her in the next walkaround.

It could happen, right? :unsmith:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We haven't seen any dead Alternians in this intermission but I guess anything could happen now that we're being Terezi.

So it turns out that the only thing Karkat needed in order to mellow out was to find someone he hated even more than himself.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

One thing I'm curious about: The Beta kids keep saying that it'll take 3 years for them to make it to the new session. Is that 3 years ending on 4/13/11 or ending on 11/11/11? Because depending on the timing, this may be the last intermission we see (which is good and bad, for various reasons)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meenah's ladyboner for Karkat seems a little bit weird to me. I mean, if I recall correctly she's roughly 19 in human terms and he's roughly 15? That's a hell of an age gap.

Then again, desperate times call for desperate measures and her romantic prospects are pretty loving desperate :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Triskelli posted:

One thing I'm curious about : The Beta kids keep saying that it'll take 3 years for them to make it to the new session. Is that 3 years ending on 4/13/11 or ending on 11/11/11? Because depending on the timing, this may be the last intermission we see (which is good and bad, for various reasons)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's 3 years their time, and has little to do with the date/time of the new universe.

Either way, 4/3/11 has already passed on the new universe (it's 11/11/11...on Jane/Jake's time, which I guess is everybody's time now) so they'd be there already :v:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, it's three years travel time. We don't have anything binding on exactly when they'll arrive as seen from inside the B2 session, but given the placement of the intermissions so far, it seems like a reasonably safe bet that either this is the last one or the next one will lead directly into everyone either entering the session or something going wrong with their attempt to do so, kicking off act 6.5.

(Of course, there might still be other intermissions that don't involve checking in on the travellers, such as the much-anticipated squiddle opera.)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tollymain posted:

Meenah's ladyboner for Karkat seems a little bit weird to me. I mean, if I recall correctly she's roughly 19 in human terms and he's roughly 15? That's a hell of an age gap.

Then again, desperate times call for desperate measures and her romantic prospects are pretty loving desperate :v:

I'm not sure that's the weirdest thing about the proposed date between two aliens from alternate universes who somehow share the same murky genetic point of origin, one of whom is dead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really want someone to get their hands on Kurloz and make him hurt until he takes back what he did to Mituna and Meuli and the certainty that this won't happen makes me seethe.

Hopefully the Alpha Kids session will hit the ground running when this is over because having to put up with them at their usual pace will be unbearable with all this latest drama.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
High school is hard. It's hard and nobody understands.

Luckily I managed to get this done when I had the time.

Should be obvious by the name. I really like how it turned out a lot, probably one of my personal favorites that I've made.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Haha, look at all the suckers dedicated fans who donated yesterday just to get early access to the walkaround:

500 people collectively gave Hussie $25,000 just to see the next part of the story a day early.

Wow.

I donated yesterday and wasn't aware the early access was happening until afterwards, when I was reading the posts here about it. I never got any message, so we are indeed suckers.

I ended up doing shenanigans to play it early anyway, so most of those people are pretty lazy if they couldn't just figure out how to :filez:

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 25, 2012

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

High school is hard. It's hard and nobody understands.

Luckily I managed to get this done when I had the time.

Should be obvious by the name. I really like how it turned out a lot, probably one of my personal favorites that I've made.

I like it. It reminds me of something I heard as background music a long time ago. The piano kinda drowns out everything else, though.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 25, 2012

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.

Castomira posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm one of the seemingly few readers who proactively liked Feferi, but I'm still holding out hope that Meenah has a conversation with her in the next walkaround.

It could happen, right? :unsmith:

Feferi was unironically my favorite troll. When Eridan killed her and Kanaya (second favorite) my heart broke. She was super perky and upbeat which I could appreciate. Ever since she trolled the poo poo out of Vriska in Alterniabound... :swoon:

That is a good point though. There's no reason why other dead alpha/beta trolls (or kids!) can't show up in these dream bubble flashes. I imagine Sollux is going to appear in the next one... we've seen the rest of the meteor crew except for him.

Awesome update, but not as good as the first one. That one took me a solid hour or two to fully go through, this one only took about 30 minutes and had way less likable characters in it. Sucks for Mituna's abuse from Cronus, but I really couldn't stand him. I get that the idea is that most of his speech is unintelligible but still kind of annoyed me.

EDIT: Forgot, sollux isn't on the meteor.. he stayed with Aradia. But if Aradia could be in the first one, he can still show up!

Lord of Laughton fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 25, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The more I think about it, the more I think Karkat and Terezi's little bit was my favorite part of the most recent flash. John may have called Jade and Davesprite's relationship the battleship's rock, but Karkat and Terezi's relationship (whether as friends or what have you) really has been sort of the rock of the A2 trolls since they were introduced. If this was a disaster movie, they'd be the two leads who don't get picked off by the end of the film, y'know?

Terezi following after Karkat, then running into Meenah who talks about how she's totally maybe sort of has a date with him, that's just there to keep people speculating and reading into everything. The wait to see where everyone's at one more year into the future is going to be unbearable.Like it ever hasn't been.

And that's still just one small part of the update and all the interesting new characters, plot threads, and foreshadowing it littered around! A Good Update. So we have one more of these to go, right?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

FebrezeNinja posted:

I like it. It reminds me of something I heard as background music to something a long time ago. The piano kinda drowns out everything else, though.

Is it too loud? I might clean it up later. I don't have super-good headphones and I just plain have a bad sense of scale for volume.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Love the music during the Kurloz bit. Does it have a name yet?

Really excited to see where Gamzee's side of the plot is going!

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Purple Bard.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I love how effective Cronus and Eridan are as characters in Homestuck.

For some reason I like both of their designs (and I feel like there are a LOT of people who do), and initially they both seem kind of stupid but not really that threatening/terrible (Cronus being overly desperate romantically and Eridan not using his mind to make logical, rational or moral decisions), but then they just

REALLY

go overboard. I know everyone universally hates Cronus thus far (and for good reason, the implications of ripping on a disabled person because YOU, the one with a potentially healthy life have to get YOUR venom out), but with the whole greaser thing, I assumed that it was kind of one of those cheesy high school bully things. It does just say that he's rubbing his shoulder which is weird, but still is definitely cheesy high school movie thing/trope all the way. The verbal and emotional abuse was still present and off-putting. That's for sure. But I didn't get a molestation vibe, rather just a real creepy and low down character behind the appearances.

Basically the Amporas are incredibly appealing visually and they get great designs but are reprehensible as poo poo as people(trolls, whatever).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Really excited to see where Gamzee's side of the plot is going!

Well, he managed to make Jane's sprite kernel explode. That probably has some sinister end.

But his thought processes are so oblique at this point that I'm just going to ignore him until he does something horribly shocking and/or hilarious again. Right now I would just like Karkat to maybe get five minutes of his life that aren't dominated by unrelenting depression and existential angst. Entire universes just keep crapping on the kid and he doesn't have the defense mechanisms to keep it from getting to him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Right now I would just like Karkat to maybe get five minutes of his life that aren't dominated by unrelenting depression and existential angst. Entire universes just keep crapping on the kid and he doesn't have the defense mechanisms to keep it from getting to him.

All things considered he seems to be doing pretty goddamn well! Cascade completely broke Karkat but he's pulled himself together admirably; with John on board the Crazytown Express, he's rapidly becoming one of the most pulled-together of the living heroes. It's disconcerting that he's still flirting with the idea of bailing in favor of Meenah's suicide mission, but I think he's stronger than that. He can handle it. I believe in him :3:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

All things considered he seems to be doing pretty goddamn well! Cascade completely broke Karkat but he's pulled himself together admirably; with John on board the Crazytown Express, he's rapidly becoming one of the most pulled-together of the living heroes. It's disconcerting that he's still flirting with the idea of bailing in favor of Meenah's suicide mission, but I think he's stronger than that. He can handle it. I believe in him :3:

On the other hand, his offer to join Meenah did briefly short-circuit her brain with joy, so that was cute.

I just keep hoping he'll get an ending that doesn't involve him getting splashed across a wall somewhere, but he's got a lot going against him. He's not immortal (which amusingly makes him one of the most fragile characters), he's a poor combatant, and his status as the trolls' conscience and popularity with the fans is pretty damning given that Hussie's got to refill his stores of collective human misery before the next fiscal quarter. And his overbearing sense of obligation means that every single bad thing that happens in the story winds up depressing him further. You eventually get to the point where you want everything to stop being so hosed up just so he'll get a breather.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. I didn't notice the obvious. Thank you, tumblr, for pointing it out to me.

The three people mentioned as close to Kurloz (and thus, perhaps, under his voodoo powers) are the three people who were the followers of the Sufferer: Mituna / Psiioniic, Meulin / Disciple, and Porrim / Dolorosa. That is ominous.

Also, assuming you count Mituna losing his eyebeams as "sight", they've got a 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil' thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Karkat genuinely cares about his subordinates friends. That is why he's the leader.

McStephenson posted:

I know everyone universally hates Cronus thus far (and for good reason, the implications of ripping on a disabled person because YOU, the one with a potentially healthy life have to get YOUR venom out), but with the whole greaser thing, I assumed that it was kind of one of those cheesy high school bully things. It does just say that he's rubbing his shoulder which is weird, but still is definitely cheesy high school movie thing/trope all the way. The verbal and emotional abuse was still present and off-putting. That's for sure. But I didn't get a molestation vibe, rather just a real creepy and low down character behind the appearances.

I'm pretty sure the molestation vibe comes from the fact that Mituna says he's uncomfortable with Cronus touching him and Cronus continuing to touch regardless. Touching Mituna without his consent, touching him even when Mituna explicitly asks him not to and to stop. Cronus has the same kind of attitude as rapist as far as personal boundaries are concerned. He abuses Mituna because he knows Mituna won't do a drat thing about it. Cronus picking on Mituna does seem bully-equse, but it has a creepy and sick undercurrent to it.

Moving along, I think Rocktopus described Cronus perfectly. He's a Nice GuyTM, or at least, he is pretending to be. It is obvious he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else. He hates them and their problems. He thinks the only reason he hasn't gotten laid yet is because he isn't damaged. He's not a reject. He pretends to be like them, but he's not. He finds them and their problems contemptible. Their only good for one thing to him. He wants to coddle them Alternia style. They shouldn't exist. He hides his real feelings well, but he lets all out when he is with his number one victim, Mituna. He's truly a loathsome creature.

Cronus also present a nice contrast to Eridan. Hell, I'd even call him a foil. Ignoring the part where Eridan finally snapped, Eridan was a much better person. Only a much better person compared to his Ancestor/Descendant. Eridan was still a Nice GuyTM, but I never got the feeling he was malicious. He genuinely cared about Feferi even if he was a selfish prick about. With maybe the exception of Sollux, I think he actually wanted to be their friends even after they rejected him. That is in contrast to Cronus who labeling people who are rejecting him to be Objectively Bad. Eridan is just kind of a guy who is bad at relationships, and he kind of realized it and wanted to be a better person. Of course, he was also insanely jealous and went crazy and killed the two people he liked most and doomed his entire race. Those are, of course, details that I will alternatively ignore and rationalize away because they conflict with the images in my head.

Edit:

Bobulus posted:

Huh. I didn't notice the obvious. Thank you, tumblr, for pointing it out to me.

The three people mentioned as close to Kurloz (and thus, perhaps, under his voodoo powers) are the three people who were the followers of the Sufferer: Mituna / Psiioniic, Meulin / Disciple, and Porrim / Dolorosa. That is ominous.
I doubt Alternia would be what it was without the Sufferer. He was needed to start a rebellion that caused Her Imperious Condescension to withdraw all adults from Alternia, setting the stage for Alterniabound. Maybe Lord English is planing to use them again.

Kind of a stretch, but it seems like a possible connection.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 25, 2012