Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Blu Rays are incredibly scratch resistant, far more than a typical DVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu_ray#Hard-coating_technology

Brian Fellows fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh hey, nobody said a word about the They Live supplements being announced.

And it's worth mentioning that the audio commentary is brand new. It isn't the old one from the last DVD release. https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/244199534476009472

quote:

Check out our final list of extras that will be on our DVD and Blu-ray of THEY LIVE which releases (coincidentally) on Election Day (11/6):

- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director John Carpenter and Actor Roddy Piper
_ Independent Thoughts – A new interview with Writer/Director John Carpenter
- Man vs. Aliens – An interview with Actor Keith David
- Woman of Mystery – An interview with Actress Meg Foster
- Watch, Look, Listen: The Sights & Sounds of “They Live” – A look at the visual style, stunts and music from the film with Director of Photography Gary B. Kibbe, Stunt Coordinator Jeff Imada, and Co-Composer Alan Howarth
- 2012 Cast Reunion Q&A with Roddy Piper, Keith David, and Meg Foster. Presented by Ain’t It Cool News and Texas Frightmare Weekend.
- Original EPK: The Making of “They Live”
- Never-Before-Seen Footage from the Commercials created for the film.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery

---------

CPL593H posted:

Is that the old limited edition release from a while back? Because I think the Anchor Bay release destroyed the value of those. Especially as it's a superior transfer. Pretty much anytime a video is reissued the old out of print copies become worthless unless they're better quality.

No, not the limited edition UK version. The first print digibook of the American release.

I was curious because I think every other print run was in a normal case and the digibook was sold out. Was hoping to at least get my money back out of it (or a profit if I could)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 19, 2012

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Red posted:

Thaaaat's what I was worried about. It seems like the discs would get scratched.

You really don't need to worry about blu rays scratching. You have to really be trying to do some damage to scratch one. I used to work at a video store and I think the only blu ray I ever saw scratched was the one that some idiot keyed.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

You really don't need to worry about blu rays scratching. You have to really be trying to do some damage to scratch one. I used to work at a video store and I think the only blu ray I ever saw scratched was the one that some idiot keyed.

This is actually really great to hear. I hadn't really read anything about it, so I had thought they were roughly equally susceptible to physical damage as DVDs. Makes me feel even better about my budding blu-ray collection. :)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ApexAftermath posted:

This is so good to hear. I had no idea.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is so good to hear. I had no idea.

Yeah and if they get fingerprinted up I just wash them in the sink and dry with a hand towel. I know that might sound a little crazy but it works just fine.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah and if they get fingerprinted up I just wash them in the sink and dry with a hand towel. I know that might sound a little crazy but it works just fine.

That rules.

DVDs, no matter how hard I tried to keep them mint, seemed to always end up with scratches at some point, regardless.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah, sometimes the discs I get mailed to me end up skipping horribly because as expected with rentals they are in astronomically bad shape, but in all but one instance sticking them in warm, slightly soapy water and drying them off got them working perfectly again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That rules.

DVDs, no matter how hard I tried to keep them mint, seemed to always end up with scratches at some point, regardless.

I feel like I take really good care of my discs, but my Sniper DVD just naturally seemed to pick up scratches somehow until it just wouldn't play in any device. If it ever gets released on BD, it's good to know I can toss it around.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Sporadic posted:

Oh hey, nobody said a word about the They Live supplements being announced.

And it's worth mentioning that the audio commentary is brand new. It isn't the old one from the last DVD release. https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/244199534476009472

Check out our final list of extras that will be on our DVD and Blu-ray of THEY LIVE which releases (coincidentally) on Election Day (11/6):

- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director John Carpenter and Actor Roddy Piper
_ Independent Thoughts – A new interview with Writer/Director John Carpenter
- Man vs. Aliens – An interview with Actor Keith David
- Woman of Mystery – An interview with Actress Meg Foster
- Watch, Look, Listen: The Sights & Sounds of “They Live” – A look at the visual style, stunts and music from the film with Director of Photography Gary B. Kibbe, Stunt Coordinator Jeff Imada, and Co-Composer Alan Howarth
- 2012 Cast Reunion Q&A with Roddy Piper, Keith David, and Meg Foster. Presented by Ain’t It Cool News and Texas Frightmare Weekend.
- Original EPK: The Making of “They Live”
- Never-Before-Seen Footage from the Commercials created for the film.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery

CONSUME

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

DVD Beaver has a review up of the Bond 50 set, looks pretty good but the best news of all is:"The UK discs are all region FREE - except Quantum of Solace and the 23rd (Bonus disc)" It's only £78.07 shipped on the UK Amazon compared to 200 bucks here(:canada:).

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 22, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember when Metropolis was re-released with additional footage a couple of years ago (I saw it in Coolidge Corner), there was a big deal made out of the fact that the Blu-rays were seemingly being only released in the UK and that you'd need a region-free player to play it (it even came with a funny message that played if you put it in a US regioned player).

Is this still a thing for that version? Because looking at this, isn't that the very one you'd want?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Nate RFB posted:

I remember when Metropolis was re-released with additional footage a couple of years ago (I saw it in Coolidge Corner), there was a big deal made out of the fact that the Blu-rays were seemingly being only released in the UK and that you'd need a region-free player to play it (it even came with a funny message that played if you put it in a US regioned player).

Is this still a thing for that version? Because looking at this, isn't that the very one you'd want?

Yes, the one you linked to is the American release.

The UK edition was released by Masters of Cinema (and came in a giant box)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metropolis-Reconstructed-Restored-Masters-Blu-ray/dp/B0041SMF50

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth a double post.

$27.99 for Francis Ford Coppola: 5-Film Collection on Amazon. It ships December 4 and contains Apocalypse Now/Redux/The Conversation/Tetro/One From The Heart

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AVC936...YJBD5VG6SZNNZ4W

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sporadic posted:

Worth a double post.

$27.99 for Francis Ford Coppola: 5-Film Collection on Amazon. It ships December 4 and contains Apocalypse Now/Redux/The Conversation/Tetro/One From The Heart

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AVC936...YJBD5VG6SZNNZ4W

Kind of a dick move to list Redux as a separate movie just to hit some arbitrary number.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Criterion is having a 50% off sale for the next 24 hours on all in stock Blu-Rays/DVDs. Use the code FLASH.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

yoohoo posted:

Criterion is having a 50% off sale for the next 24 hours on all in stock Blu-Rays/DVDs. Use the code FLASH.

You know what, gently caress It. I'm getting some of my favorite movies from Criterion even if I can't play them on my European bluray player.

e: They don't even ship outside of the US/Canada.

gently caress you, Criterion. gently caress you up and down.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 24, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not quite a 50% off sale, it's 50% off MSRP, which means that Seven Samurai is $40 but since its MSRP is $50, it comes down to $25

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Spent way more than I'd like to admit buying up Criterion movies that I've had sitting in my Amazon wishlist for ages.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Just a heads-up to anyone in the UK going to get The Cabin in the Woods on Blu-Ray: The disc has an authoring error and freezes at certain points during the film. Lionsgate is working on a replacement program.

https://twitter.com/LionsgateUK/status/250214162586800128

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

One utopian day I'll have soo much disposable income and I'll finally buy Criterions. One day.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea why companies don't ship outside their countries in this day and age. It seems stupid.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bowmore posted:

I have no idea why companies don't ship outside their countries in this day and age. It seems stupid.

Probably because all their titles are region locked A.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

Probably because all their titles are region locked A.

My money is as good as anyone's. Their loss.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My DVD player can play all regions, you can buy one for $30. No excuses. :colbert:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Your money is good, but it's probably not enough to offset all the "IT NO WORK PLAYER :saddowns: REFUND NOW" emails they would get from others.

See guys, you should have supported HD-DVD back in the day. It was region free :(

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

bowmore posted:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Guys, it's not region locking or Criterion simply saying "We don't want to ship overseas." Rather, it probably has something to do with licensing. Criterion licenses only for the US/Canada, which means that they cannot legally distribute their product overseas. That means on the internet, they cannot ship to an overseas address or else they would be in violation with their distribution order. And while I'm sure they like your money, they don't like it enough to get sued for a hell of a lot more than your sale.

In the age of the internet, we do forget that their are still territorial things like this.

As for why you can order it through Barnes and Nobles or Amazon, it probably has to do with the fact that at that point the disc has already been distributed, and now it is being resold. Or something like that.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Tomtrek posted:

Just a heads-up to anyone in the UK going to get The Cabin in the Woods on Blu-Ray: The disc has an authoring error and freezes at certain points during the film. Lionsgate is working on a replacement program.

https://twitter.com/LionsgateUK/status/250214162586800128

Can someone help me here? How does this happen? Do they not take sample batches of the end product and check them on a representative group of BR players? This seems insane. Pay someone minimum wage to watch movies and mark down glaring mistakes like this.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Can someone help me here? How does this happen? Do they not take sample batches of the end product and check them on a representative group of BR players? This seems insane. Pay someone minimum wage to watch movies and mark down glaring mistakes like this.

At this point if Lionsgate straight up put the wrong movie on the disc, a lot of people might consider it an improvement.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cemetry Gator posted:

Guys, it's not region locking or Criterion simply saying "We don't want to ship overseas." Rather, it probably has something to do with licensing. Criterion licenses only for the US/Canada, which means that they cannot legally distribute their product overseas. That means on the internet, they cannot ship to an overseas address or else they would be in violation with their distribution order. And while I'm sure they like your money, they don't like it enough to get sued for a hell of a lot more than your sale.

In the age of the internet, we do forget that their are still territorial things like this.

As for why you can order it through Barnes and Nobles or Amazon, it probably has to do with the fact that at that point the disc has already been distributed, and now it is being resold. Or something like that.

Yeah, this is probably it. I just want them to do away with all this regional poo poo. The world is such an incredibly accessible and open place (relatively speaking) these days that this stuff just comes across as archaic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Seriously, this movie is from my home country but there are no region-free or even Region 1/A release yet so I cannot watch on BD for now.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, I know there's always a reason behind this kind of stuff, but it's just one more irritating example of how after everything that has happened to their industry over the past decade or so, license holders continue to behave as if the internet is a passing fad and the old media format still works. The first lesson they should have learned is to make legally purchasing their content as easy as possible.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's crazy because I'm pretty sure I've purchased DVD's from Criterion way back when.

I have a region free Blu-Ray player so I'm fine for Criterion discs, but I know of a few people who just end up pirating them because it's the only way some of those titles are viewable for them. Or if there's a R2 equivalent it's usually a pretty poor transfer (Europe always gets shafted somehow). I don't condone it, but it's so archaic that this rule is still in place that people just feel better off downloading.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Of all the Bond Blu-Rays to get hosed by DNR it just had to be Goldeneye didn't it :(
http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/147158
Apparently the second image is a frame after the first which is when the scene starts to fade out. Awesome work Lowry

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

hitze posted:

Of all the Bond Blu-Rays to get hosed by DNR it just had to be Goldeneye didn't it :(
Apparently the second image is a frame after the first which is when the scene starts to fade out. Awesome work Lowry

Son of a whore! The only one I gave a poo poo about :mad:

And the non-DNR'ed frame looks so drat good :(

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

hitze posted:

I'm not well-versed in the DNR wars, but how the gently caress can anyone with functioning eyes like the version with the DNR in this comparison? The DNR removes a very noticeable amount of detail; you can see Brosnan's pores in the non, with DNR it's like he's wearing thick make-up.

I especially don't get it since the target audience would seem to be serious fans who would want the movies in an expensive box set to look the closest to how they are "supposed" to look.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

hitze posted:

I don't really get what I'm seeing.

Both those images are from the Blu-Ray but the first one is from before the picture fades out? So what, a second or two of lovely image before the next scene?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

By the way, DVD Beaver has caps from Frankenstein and Dracula from the Universal box set. They look as good as Criterion's magnificent B&W releases. Dracula has never looked that good on video, so I'm surprised.

One interesting release is Image putting out the public domain Frank Sinatra film Suddenly. It should be a lot better than the Film Chest version. The big pull is they're including Francis Thompson's incredible surrealist short N.Y., N.Y. as an extra in HD.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 26, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sporadic posted:

I don't really get what I'm seeing.

Both those images are from the Blu-Ray but the first one is from before the picture fades out? So what, a second or two of lovely image before the next scene?

Other way around. The first image is how the film looks most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Eh. It's bad, but it's not as bad as say, Predator.

• Locked thread