Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I forget what year it was (2007 maybe) but the one that ended with HBK and Taker was great. Mostly because it had been YEARS since both men had faced each other and the crowd and commentators really played that up. The next year was pretty good to at MSG when both men started it off again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Liar Lyre posted:

I shook Snukas hand once, and it was so weak. Like a lady handshake. :smith:

I heard that wrestlers all have limp handshakes as of they had firm handshakes they'd always be trying to outgrip each other.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Z-Magic posted:

I heard that wrestlers all have limp handshakes as of they had firm handshakes they'd always be trying to outgrip each other.

I heard firmness of handshake = how tight you worked, and an overly firm handshake essentially meant "I'm going to beat the piss out of you" so wrestlers shake overly soft to not send across the wrong message.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Z-Magic posted:

oldskool posted:

I heard firmness of handshake = how tight you worked, and an overly firm handshake essentially meant "I'm going to beat the piss out of you" so wrestlers shake overly soft to not send across the wrong message.

Wrestling: Even sillier than you thought it was.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Eh, plenty of jobs have little quirks and things like that. If you're going to laugh at wrestling traditions, laugh at the willingness to poo poo anywhere and everywhere, not "big guys are full of macho bullshit when handshaking".

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
A lot of athletes think making GBS threads on or in something that is someone else's property is the height of comedy. Gilbert Arenas making GBS threads in a teammates shoes is the most recent example I can think of.

Anyways, I was more referring to someone thinking they could judge a person's style based on their handshake. I've heard that one a few times and I hold out hope it's just an old wives' tale.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Glamorama26 posted:

I've heard that one a few times and I hold out hope it's just an old wives' tale.
I recently saw a clip of Duggan talking about it, and how he rolls his eyes when young guys who do that when they meet him. So I assume it's largely bullshit.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
I bet Chris Benoit had the firmest loving handshake you can imagine

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lebowski at Cleos posted:

Only while he had that bra on.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Is there a picture of Brock Lesnar in a tiny suit from OVW or did I dream that?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

?????

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I will never figure out how someone without a neck managed to wear a tie. Did he tie it around his shoulders? :iiam:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What are the restrictions on wrestlers signed to WWE Legends contracts from appearing on other shows?

I was surprised to read about Piper's recent appearance on a Montreal indie since I figured they were under similar contractual restrictions as active wrestlers. Are they free to make any indie appearances they want for a company smaller than ROH?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

More or less. Even Lawler, who is on TV regularly, does indy dates all the time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Carlton Banks posted:

I will never figure out how someone without a neck managed to wear a tie. Did he tie it around his shoulders? :iiam:

It's, like, tied around the bottom of his chin.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
He looks so much like my ex roomate, it's scary.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Perigryn posted:

He looks so much like my ex roomate, it's scary.

Was your ex roomie prone to kidney and liver shots? Was he married to Rena Mero? Did he have dellusions of NFL grandeur?

If so, you may have lived with BROCK LESNAR.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO
When he came home, did you always say "Here comes the pain" ??!?!?!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Did he have a dick tattooed on his chest?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
He was a pretty calm guy most of the time but I did not want to get on his bad side. IIRC, he denied being Brock when I asked him after I showed him a match of his.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Not necessarily directed at you, but you mentioning Benoit reminded me of something.

I was listening to Uhh Yeah Dude the other day, and they were talking about a new study about how people deal with issues. Basically, when a traumatic event occurs people will react to it with "I knew that would happen", "Of course it would happen, it was inevitable", etc. Basically people change history in hindsight to make the event forseen, even though it absolutely wasn't, as a way of dealing with it.

When I was listening to them talk about this, I thought about all the wrestlers who said "Of course Benoit killed his family, it was obvious", and such.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Not necessarily directed at you, but you mentioning Benoit reminded me of something.

I was listening to Uhh Yeah Dude the other day, and they were talking about a new study about how people deal with issues. Basically, when a traumatic event occurs people will react to it with "I knew that would happen", "Of course it would happen, it was inevitable", etc. Basically people change history in hindsight to make the event forseen, even though it absolutely wasn't, as a way of dealing with it.

When I was listening to them talk about this, I thought about all the wrestlers who said "Of course Benoit killed his family, it was obvious", and such.

I've definitely noticed this a lot, not only with wrestlers but fans and even myself. Go back and watch anything from Benoit's career - WCW, WWE, whatever, and you'll find yourself making connections back to to the murder. Some glint in his eyes or the stiffness of, or decision to use, some move or another. It's impossible to avoid, really.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

triplexpac posted:

I suspect that this phenomenon extends beyond trauma, as well. We're all pretty good at making meaning of things, even when no such meaning necessarily exists. If Benoit had been killed protecting his family from an armed robber, everyone would have said they weren't surprised because he was such a devoted father. It's probably more likely to occur with more troubling and/or salient events (e.g., trauma) though, as those need more explanation.

...wrestling.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Thanks! GISing "Brock Lesnar tiny suit" didn't work if you can believe it, and I was beginning to doubt whether it actually existed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is Jake Roberts cleaned up at all, and can the WWE potentially do anything with him backstage?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I couldn't, and still can't believe Benoit did what he did.

I was arguing against people all night long that night, saying there was no way he could have killed his wife and kid and himself. :(

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Is Jake Roberts cleaned up at all, and can the WWE potentially do anything with him backstage?

I wish I could remember where it was, but I heard an interview with someone that attended a wrestling school or camp where he spoke and while he appeared to be relatively clean at that precise moment (outside of smelling like a brewery), he basically just shilled for himself and taught nothing. I feel like it was an Art of Wrestling show or something like that.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I wish I could remember where it was, but I heard an interview with someone that attended a wrestling school or camp where he spoke and while he appeared to be relatively clean at that precise moment (outside of smelling like a brewery), he basically just shilled for himself and taught nothing. I feel like it was an Art of Wrestling show or something like that.

Somebody told the story in the rear end in a top hat thread about him attending a camp, showing up trashed and continually telling a story about sticking his thumb up a young HHH's rear end.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Perry Normal posted:

Somebody told the story in the rear end in a top hat thread about him attending a camp, showing up trashed and continually telling a story about sticking his thumb up a young HHH's rear end.

Ah that's it exactly. I must've willingly blocked out the thumb inside HHH part.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I shook Chris Benoit's hand at an autograph signing. The fella may be short but he had some massive hands... And a pretty firm handshake from what I remember. Certainly wasn't some wimpy shake that's for sure.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Since handshakes are such a big part of wrestling culture I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a wrestler with a limp-wristed handshake, even most of the divas.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I suspect that this phenomenon extends beyond trauma, as well. We're all pretty good at making meaning of things, even when no such meaning necessarily exists. If Benoit had been killed protecting his family from an armed robber, everyone would have said they weren't surprised because he was such a devoted father. It's probably more likely to occur with more troubling and/or salient events (e.g., trauma) though, as those need more explanation.
True indeed. Those of you old enough to remember 2008 might recall when John McCain sagely pointed out in like August that if he won the election, his campaign would be studied to see how he managed to rise up from his awful 2007 start and bring things together like a well-oiled machine--and if he lost, people would talk about how his campaign was a mess the entire time, and show all the circumstances where you "knew" he was going to lose.

To posit the third potentiality for you, if Benoit had JUST killed himself instead of Nancy and Daniel, we could have had the hybrid story that you knew he was always completely unhinged all along, but the one thing that he would never do is hurt his family! except when he hurt his family before that

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Since handshakes are such a big part of wrestling culture I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a wrestler with a limp-wristed handshake, even most of the divas.

I'm willing to bet this entire handshake thing was some old time practice that fell along the wayside with the advent of things like color tv and Abdulah the Butcher.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dead Snoopy posted:

I'm willing to bet this entire handshake thing was some old time practice that fell along the wayside with the advent of things like color tv and Abdulah the Butcher.

Tell that to Mike Sanders

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

rotinaj posted:

I couldn't, and still can't believe Benoit did what he did.

I was arguing against people all night long that night, saying there was no way he could have killed his wife and kid and himself. :(
Just imagine what I had to deal with when I was the token wrestling fan in my town and everyone I knew kept bringing it up to me since they knew Benoit was my favorite wrestler. :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
What's with you liking the fake sport filled with steroid fueled murderers?

Ahh good times

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Tell that to Mike Sanders

Was Mike Sanders ever any good?? I know he wrestled for WcW for awhile, and actually saw him wrestle in Finland(i bought a WCW-shirt)

Why did not wwe pick him up?? Or Sonny Siaki?? Or Felix Skipper:/

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

TheCool69 posted:

Was Mike Sanders ever any good??

Id say he was above average.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

What's with you liking the fake sport filled with steroid fueled murderers?

Ahh good times

I didn't know you watched football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheCool69 posted:

Was Mike Sanders ever any good?? I know he wrestled for WcW for awhile, and actually saw him wrestle in Finland(i bought a WCW-shirt)

Why did not wwe pick him up?? Or Sonny Siaki?? Or Felix Skipper:/

He was pretty bad. He had a funny nick name and was an OK talker but he was extremely green. Since it was WCW in 2000 people like me who watched it clung to anything that was new and not completely horrible. WWE dropped him after he didn't bother to shake HHH's hand and HHH had to make a point of shaking his. Or because he just wasn't very good.