Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Oh for god's sake, it seems that Google have removed the 'area of uncertainty' from Google Maps even when you've got GPS and WiFi turned off. If I open Maps right now it reports my location as being ~1.5 miles to the east of where I actually am. Google, how is this to be considered an improvement? In what way does this help people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Since there are apps for pretty much everything, my phone has allowed me to become complacent and lazy. I can have it automatically update itself because I can't be bothered to check for updates myself, and I can have it mute all sounds when I get to work because it's too much effort to do it myself. This is wonderful.

I've come to the realization that looking at weather forecasts is a hassle, is there an app or widget whereby I can set up notifications if certain criteria are met? For example, I'd like to be alerted if it's going to rain tomorrow afternoon, or if it's going to be particularly cold one evening?

Does such a thing exist, or will I have to look at the forecast on my home screen if I want to anticipate future meteorological events like some sort of caveman?

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

nexus6 posted:

I've come to the realization that looking at weather forecasts is a hassle, is there an app or widget whereby I can set up notifications if certain criteria are met? For example, I'd like to be alerted if it's going to rain tomorrow afternoon, or if it's going to be particularly cold one evening?

You can do this with a combination of If This Then That and Pushover.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I too was sick of forecast widget bullshit, so I added my local weather forecast as a calendar overlay to my Google Calendar. This has had the bonus effect of reminding me about my upcoming plans when I check the weather.

Thanks, goon that suggested it in this thread like a year ago. :tipshat:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

I too was sick of forecast widget bullshit, so I added my local weather forecast as a calendar overlay to my Google Calendar. This has had the bonus effect of reminding me about my upcoming plans when I check the weather.

Thanks, goon that suggested it in this thread like a year ago. :tipshat:

How did you set that up?

Edit: apex launcher updated itself last night and now I am hosed.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 24, 2012

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

torjus posted:

You can do this with a combination of If This Then That and Pushover.

Good God, where has IFTTT been all my life? From the looks of it the possibilities are incredible. I've set it up to email me weather alerts, which should put them in my notification bar. If I end up using this a lot I'll look into using pushover as well.

EDIT Just got my first alert so :) it works but :( it's gonna rain tomorrow

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 24, 2012

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

How did you set that up?

Go to your settings in the calendar, input your location and turn the weather overlay to your preferred units. I had no idea this existed, but holy poo poo is it amazing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

How did you set that up?

az jan jananam posted:

This isn't an app, but another way to get a weather forecast without an app that I found. If you go to Weather Underground and copy the link address for "Download iCal" (the blue arrow next to the RSS icon) you can add that iCal to Google Calendar (add by URL). It'll show up on your calendar widgets, etc with no other app needed.

Google Calendar has the ability to do this natively but the forecast given isn't as detailed.

Set the correct location first, then:

Because the iCal download is dynamic, the URL pointer is constantly feeding Google Calendar the next week of weather (as opposed to downloading the iCal file and adding it via Import Calendar, which is a static file and will only give you a week's worth once).

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 24, 2012

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

WebDO posted:

Go to your settings in the calendar, input your location and turn the weather overlay to your preferred units. I had no idea this existed, but holy poo poo is it amazing.

My sgs3 doesn't have that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

AnimalChin posted:

How did you set that up?

Switch to Nova.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AnimalChin posted:

How did you set that up?

Another Apex disaster here. What's weird is I got the update yesterday morning. I worked last night from 10p-6a, and it worked fine all through the night and all the way until this morning when it randomly decided to start force-closing Apex. It basically worked properly a full 24 hours until it decided to crap out on me. :iiam:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Nova updated this weekend too, and I'm loving the new update. It supports all the things that Jelly Bean added to the stock launcher, such as automatically moving around icons as you resize widgets.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

That's awesome. Thanks.

I guess today is a good day to try out Nova and see how I like it compared to Apex.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

nexus6 posted:

Good God, where has IFTTT been all my life? From the looks of it the possibilities are incredible. I've set it up to email me weather alerts, which should put them in my notification bar. If I end up using this a lot I'll look into using pushover as well.

EDIT Just got my first alert so :) it works but :( it's gonna rain tomorrow

Unfortunately, before everyone gets too hyped about IFTTT, it turns out that they're going to be removing Twitter triggers to comply with Twitter policy. Which apparently sucks because that was the major use for the service, or so I'm told; I don't actually use it but I saw that post on Slashdot the other day.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Why didn't I read the reviews before installing the apex update :cry:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Nova updated this weekend too, and I'm loving the new update. It supports all the things that Jelly Bean added to the stock launcher, such as automatically moving around icons as you resize widgets.
You know all that stuff has been in the beta channel since about a week after Jelly Bean dropped, right?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
loving Apex. I froze Trebuchet on my phone and had no backup at all. Had to wipe everything.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

It's a good thing I uninstalled apex this morning because I wasn't using it :ohdear:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

loving Apex. I froze Trebuchet on my phone and had no backup at all. Had to wipe everything.
No you didn't.

adb install trebuchet.apk

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

rolleyes posted:

Oh for god's sake, it seems that Google have removed the 'area of uncertainty' from Google Maps even when you've got GPS and WiFi turned off. If I open Maps right now it reports my location as being ~1.5 miles to the east of where I actually am. Google, how is this to be considered an improvement? In what way does this help people?

Yeah, someone said this on the other page as well. It got me completely lost and late yesterday.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

No you didn't.

adb install trebuchet.apk

Or, if you aren't comfortable with adb, you could have just installed an alternative from the market.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

LastInLine posted:

You know all that stuff has been in the beta channel since about a week after Jelly Bean dropped, right?

I had no idea! In fact I didn't even know Nova had a beta channel. I'm just running Nova Prime off the standard Play Store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

I had no idea! In fact I didn't even know Nova had a beta channel. I'm just running Nova Prime off the standard Play Store.
Go to Nova Settings and do the update check. Hit the overflow three dots and check Beta.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Go to Nova Settings and do the update check. Hit the overflow three dots and check Beta.

Well, poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

Because the iCal download is dynamic, the URL pointer is constantly feeding Google Calendar the next week of weather (as opposed to downloading the iCal file and adding it via Import Calendar, which is a static file and will only give you a week's worth once).

I know you say this is dynamic, but does it update as the forecast updates? I mean, if this morning the forecast high for tomorrow is 30 degrees but this afternoon the forecast high for tomorrow has been updated to 90 degrees, is this reflected in your calendar?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'm not sure how I'd check something like that. I don't know how often Google's checking external calendar sources, but I'd expect it to update as often as whatever that is. As far as I can tell, the iCal on Weather Underground that the link is pointed to is being generated from your supplied parameters per-request, so Google's the bottleneck.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

I'm not sure how I'd check something like that. I don't know how often Google's checking external calendar sources, but I'd expect it to update as often as whatever that is. As far as I can tell, the iCal on Weather Underground that the link is pointed to is being generated from your supplied parameters per-request, so Google's the bottleneck.

I see. I'll keep an eye on it.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

dissss posted:

It turns out I had 'Enable Location History' on but 'Report from this Device' off. It's not quite clear which option is suppose to do what but you may want to check the battery life with both disabled.

If you turn off 'Enable Location History' on a JB device your Google Now experience is going to be neutered for anything that needs any sort of location data... including all the traffic stuff.

You can check your history here:
https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
RE: Apex

Just did this now and smooth sailing so far with no lost settings

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
With Listen taken out back and put out of its misery, what's a good cross-device syncing poscast app that is bare bones as hell? I need to be able to just add a subscription, and when I tell an episode of whatever to gently caress off it disappears from all devices.

Several people have told me to use Doggcatcher, but it doesn't have cross-device sync.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.
Is there a good album art grabber that works with Google play? The app I got from the market (Album Art Grabber, icon is a record) says it grabbed the art, but nothing is showing up on the Google Play side.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

LastInLine posted:

How did I not know about this? Thanks for the info.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Is there any indication that you're on the beta track?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grilldos posted:

With Listen taken out back and put out of its misery, what's a good cross-device syncing poscast app that is bare bones as hell? I need to be able to just add a subscription, and when I tell an episode of whatever to gently caress off it disappears from all devices.

Several people have told me to use Doggcatcher, but it doesn't have cross-device sync.
I absolutely love GoodNews in conjunction with Google Reader. Settings and customization are excellent, it supports lockscreen controls in Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, and of course it also does RSS feeds too. Used it for about half a day before I went paid because it looks and behaves perfectly and is everything a Google Reader/podcast app should be and nothing more.

hooah posted:

Is there any indication that you're on the beta track?
When the beta track isn't in sync with the Play Store version your version in the Settings screen will have the beta version number.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I absolutely love GoodNews in conjunction with Google Reader. Settings and customization are excellent, it supports lockscreen controls in Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, and of course it also does RSS feeds too. Used it for about half a day before I went paid because it looks and behaves perfectly and is everything a Google Reader/podcast app should be and nothing more.

Except for some time last week when it decided to think the entire backlog of Astronomy Cast was unread (granted, that may have been a problem on Astronomy Cast's end).

quote:

When the beta track isn't in sync with the Play Store version your version in the Settings screen will have the beta version number.
So how do I get the beta? I did what you said, but nothing got downloaded or changed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Except for some time last week when it decided to think the entire backlog of Astronomy Cast was unread (granted, that may have been a problem on Astronomy Cast's end).
It could also be a problem on Reader's end.

hooah posted:

So how do I get the beta? I did what you said, but nothing got downloaded or changed.
The Play Store and the beta channel are in sync. When a new beta is available for download you'll get a notification.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LastInLine posted:

I don't care what it does but if this reads everything to me in Professor Farnsworth's voice I'm sold :haw:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I've been using Power Amp on my phone for playing music and like it a lot, but when I tried using it on my Nexus 7 the widget looked like complete garbage. It was either too tiny to press the buttons, or full of empty space when I blew it up. Are there any good music player widgets out there that look good on a tablet screen?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Primworm posted:

Is there a good album art grabber that works with Google play? The app I got from the market (Album Art Grabber, icon is a record) says it grabbed the art, but nothing is showing up on the Google Play side.

I think the problem is google-side not the album grabber side. You will need to remove the music from your google play and re-upload the files with the embedded album art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Looks like Google Play now has a Twitter page (@GooglePlay)

https://www.twitter.com/googleplay

• Locked thread