Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I was under the impression that threadshitting was against the rules in the entire forums, on any page, except for FYAD because FYAD is an alternate dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mico posted:

I was under the impression that threadshitting was against the rules in the entire forums, on any page, except for FYAD because FYAD is an alternate dimension.
I believe that in this context the definition of threadshitting is emptyquoting posts and no-content stuff, not just making GBS threads on other people's content.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Mico posted:

You can get around any rule on the forums if you post something (really) funny.

Look, the whole trick is if you're threadshitting, you're making a gamble with me. You're saying, "This thread is so awful, that even a mod's gonna agree that it's only use is mocking the poster. Right, slowbeef?" (or Zorak)

In the recent case of Venus Hostage, I was genuinely asking if it was "that bad" because it didn't seem like soooooo horrible. Note nothing got probated or gassed, so whatever.

In the case of the Slender LP with the scare cam that just happened, pfft, yeah threadshit away, that was nonsense.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The problem with the threadshitting is that it's mob mentality. If you get a slightly mediocre LP that pops up and someone pops in with a "LORDY LORD WHERE DO I SUBSCRIBE :allears:" sort-of message, every other chucklefuck pops in with something equally stupid and pedantic until they're worse than the video is.

I don't know if a rule is really necessary but I think that people should be more selective on which LPs they attack. Not all the youtubers need a poo poo tornado - just the really awful ones. We all know which ones really deserve it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Peenmaster posted:

I am looking to do a let's play of Home:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215670/

I have a few questions about the logistics of doing a let's play (This would be my first LP that I hope would be up to SA standards).

The game is based heavily in text, so I was considering doing a SSLP, but since it's a horror game, atmosphere is very important, so a video might show that better.

The game has several different outcomes, that depend on the choices you make in game. I know it's quite common to allow thread posters to make choices in the LP, but there are so many choices, that if I were to wait for input for each choice, then the videos would be as short as 30 seconds at times. What would be the best wait to allow viewers to chose if this is the case? Or should I simply play through several times to get every possible outcome.

I would love some feedback as to how I can go about this, or if you all believe that doing an LP of this game would be a waste of time.

Thank you!

I uploaded a sample video of the gameplay and voiced my concerns here: http://youtu.be/Qt23j-rIDEM (sorry for youtube).

This is mainly to display the gameplay, and ask some questions about the proper way to approach this game. Please note that I WILL NOT BE TALKING THIS MUCH IN THE ACTUAL LET'S PLAY, and that if you feel that I should not talk at all to keep the ambiance, let me know please.

I am hungry for feedback, so if you feel that I am doing something really loving wrong, please let me know so I can improve.

Thanks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Peenmaster posted:

I uploaded a sample video of the gameplay and voiced my concerns here: http://youtu.be/Qt23j-rIDEM (sorry for youtube).

This is mainly to display the gameplay, and ask some questions about the proper way to approach this game. Please note that I WILL NOT BE TALKING THIS MUCH IN THE ACTUAL LET'S PLAY, and that if you feel that I should not talk at all to keep the ambiance, let me know please.

I am hungry for feedback, so if you feel that I am doing something really loving wrong, please let me know so I can improve.

Thanks.
You should probably figure out how to not get the Fraps frame rate counter to appear during certain scenes, it's probably best to not record in your maximum resolution (just to save yourself some space), your audio commentary volume was pretty low and you could probably stand to turn that up. You also seem to be mentioning some things in the video regarding endings or choices, but it was too hard to hear what you were saying. So it might be better to just use your better judgement regarding how to handle that; how would you personally want to see it?

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

Niggurath posted:

You should probably figure out how to not get the Fraps frame rate counter to appear during certain scenes, it's probably best to not record in your maximum resolution (just to save yourself some space), your audio commentary volume was pretty low and you could probably stand to turn that up. You also seem to be mentioning some things in the video regarding endings or choices, but it was too hard to hear what you were saying. So it might be better to just use your better judgement regarding how to handle that; how would you personally want to see it?

Somewhere in the middle he said he found out what it was and fixed it, but didn't wanna redo the whole test post over it.

Personally, I think the LP would work much better as an SSLP. It's really all just text and vague imagery (since the game is pixelated, most stuff is left to your imagination). It would probably just be better to type things out and show an occasional image.

This is one of those "it's different every time you play" games, and since it's so short you could probably beat the game in two or three updates, then all the updates after that will be alternate stuff. I don't know how good you are at commentating, but it's probably gonna get tiring to dub over the same thing multiple times.

Also, since you said you want to give people choices, that's another reason it would be better for SSLP. Just post a few images, then when a choice pops up ask people what they want. You could do a couple of those a day if it doesn't tire you out. I recommend the first runthrough being the Goon Choice run, then everything after that is just you showing stuff off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way, I haven't given up on the Chibi Robo thing, I've just come down with something right as good recording opportunities arose. I'll get the newest version done when my body stops whining :P. [en]Also, I've been fairly busy, three potential job opportunities have come along and I want to focus on that, as I've been out of work for a year now. [/en]

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

slowbeef posted:

In the case of the Slender LP with the scare cam that just happened, pfft, yeah threadshit away, that was nonsense.

Speaking of which:

An email I just got posted:

Hi,

I was reading through your FAQ and saw you accept completed LP's for submission from SomethingAwful, so I was hoping you might add this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508613

Thank you! :)
Erika

????

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Volt Catfish posted:

Not that I participate in it, but why does it bother you so much?

Roar posted:

The problem with the threadshitting is that it's mob mentality. If you get a slightly mediocre LP that pops up and someone pops in with a "LORDY LORD WHERE DO I SUBSCRIBE :allears:" sort-of message, every other chucklefuck pops in with something equally stupid and pedantic until they're worse than the video is.

There's also the fact that in every goddamn case it brings out people who are barely, if at all, better than the person being mocked, except they just happen to lurk more, who only post when they smell blood in the water and proceed to make the most half-assed jokes possible. The less opportunities for these people to feel that their posts are welcome, the better.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about here, perhaps you are one of these mythical posters who should never speak!)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Roar posted:

I don't know if a rule is really necessary but I think that people should be more selective on which LPs they attack. Not all the youtubers need a poo poo tornado - just the really awful ones. We all know which ones really deserve it.

I don't support threadshitting threads for being bad, but for disobeying site rules. A bad LP deserves courtesy, because someone willing to follow the rules has proven that they can take outside input. Someone who breaks said rules is someone who won't listen or won't bother to listen to good advice. I don't care if you're some gaming/YouTube superstar, this place has rules that you have to follow, and any LP that doesn't follow them deserves to be poo poo on, at least that's how I see it.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 25, 2012

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Mezurya posted:

Somewhere in the middle he said he found out what it was and fixed it, but didn't wanna redo the whole test post over it.

Personally, I think the LP would work much better as an SSLP. It's really all just text and vague imagery (since the game is pixelated, most stuff is left to your imagination). It would probably just be better to type things out and show an occasional image.

This is one of those "it's different every time you play" games, and since it's so short you could probably beat the game in two or three updates, then all the updates after that will be alternate stuff. I don't know how good you are at commentating, but it's probably gonna get tiring to dub over the same thing multiple times.

Also, since you said you want to give people choices, that's another reason it would be better for SSLP. Just post a few images, then when a choice pops up ask people what they want. You could do a couple of those a day if it doesn't tire you out. I recommend the first runthrough being the Goon Choice run, then everything after that is just you showing stuff off.

Thanks for your input. I'm starting to agree that a SSLP would probably be the best course of action. I just played through the whole game again with SS in mind, and it seemed like a good fit.

Does anyone else have anything to add before I go forward with this?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

baldurk posted:

Speaking of which:

????
I'm pretty sure that one is good to go honestly. I really wish I understood her mentality at all. Outside of the obvious reason that someone has never looked at an LP on SA, wouldn't the fact that everyone was saying that scare cams are poo poo kinda tip the person off.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
But how will I know when to be scared if there isn't some barely visible face in the corner? :v:

It seems from her replies in that thread that its some sort of cargo cultism from the more popular youtube superstars. They seem to think that if they just copy what the popular kids are doing wholesale they too will be popular. The sad thing is, I'm not entirely sure they're wrong because I don't know how those guys got so popular while being so utterly repellent.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I may be a little :goonsay: here? It's basically the same reason why Mary Sue fanfiction and other such power fantasies are so popular- it's because it's easy to see yourself in that position. She copies those superstars because it's easy to imagine herself in that position, and so do a lot of people. This builds up views, and attracts more idiots who see themselves in that easy-to-attain status.

It doesn't help matters that despite the $10 entrance fee, SA is one of the more popular websites around. Heck, LP-wise, the the Dangan-Ronpa thread practically started the game's Western fandom. Also, from what I've seen, SA is seen as either elitist or elite thanks to said charge ($10! What a fortune! :rolleyes: ), which attracts idiots who want to be part of that, never realizing said 'elite' is composed of people who call themselves goons and post visual novel Let's Plays, often with their own amateurish additions.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 25, 2012

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

CommissarMega posted:

($10! What a fortune! :rolleyes: )

That's probably because most of those people don't have any income and need to ask their mom to buy them stuff :qq: , so if it's not free it's not worth it. It's kind of why things like Slender and those SCP games are remotely popular, anyone can play them for free and you can run it on pretty much any PC.

Well, that and because it's the latest bandwagon thing. Playing badly made horror games. I should take twenty minutes and make a Half Life 1 horror mod, then I can be the first to LP it! Superstardom awaits!

Be back in a jiffy. I swear I'll find out how to make a horror game that is also simultaneously about Skyrim, Minecraft, and Pokemon.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mezurya posted:

That's probably because most of those people don't have any income and need to ask their mom to buy them stuff :qq: , so if it's not free it's not worth it. It's kind of why things like Slender and those SCP games are remotely popular, anyone can play them for free and you can run it on pretty much any PC.

Well, that and because it's the latest bandwagon thing. Playing badly made horror games. I should take twenty minutes and make a Half Life 1 horror mod, then I can be the first to LP it! Superstardom awaits!

Be back in a jiffy. I swear I'll find out how to make a horror game that is also simultaneously about Skyrim, Minecraft, and Pokemon.

Apparently, Slender's being remade into an actual proper game, so be prepared to see more weepy children overacting like they're scared of a badly rendered stick figure and screaming til your speakers bleed any day now!

(and don't even get me started on that SCP game with the endless staircase and a jumpscare)

Also, Pokemon and Minecraft have buttloads of stupid urban legends about them. If bad fanfic writers can do it, you're at least in with a shot! :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mezurya posted:

You play as a sexy lady Lego dragon who can't attack without her trainer's permission. Said trainer has been kidnapped by Cthulhu. Just send the royalties to my Paypal.

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

Looks like the jokes on us. This guy is going places. 12,655 subscribers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mezurya posted:

Looks like the jokes on us. This guy is going places. 12,655 subscribers.

Replace the dog with a Growlithe and everything will be as it should(n't) be.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Hey, making more poor decisions by LPing bad grognardy games.

OP
Update 1

I plan on making some additional video content (which I'll likely post here just to make sure it looks okay) for the game, but it's unfortunately way too long and way too slow a game to really do a full VLP of. Any suggestions for improvement, or does it look good to go?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lilli posted:

Hey, making more poor decisions by LPing bad grognardy games.

OP
Update 1

I plan on making some additional video content (which I'll likely post here just to make sure it looks okay) for the game, but it's unfortunately way too long and way too slow a game to really do a full VLP of. Any suggestions for improvement, or does it look good to go?
Certainly very different in starting you out like that, reminds me more of an RPG than an RTS in that.
Looked fairly ok to me, a few minor spelling errors (A "no" instead of an "on" at one point) but otherwise I'd call this ready for the presses.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
See, now, this was/is the proper way to handle a thread of this wonderful caliber.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Man I really hope that thread turns out to be good. I pray that it was just a slip of the mind and he's going to come back with an impossibly good Pong thread that will prove that no game is Un-LPable.

Oh no wait he was probated a month ago for posting an interest check in the sandcastle.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

baldurk posted:

Speaking of which:

????

loving hell, that just made my night.

Christ, that girl is awful.

Also, that pong thread. That made my night too. Slowbeef, what will you do if he doesn't post the first update tomorrow?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tis the week of odd threads. At least one of them wasn't too bad, just badly planned.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That thread may have produced the best bit of fanart in the subforum all year, and it came before the first update! I do hope for an update though, there is some legitimately silly poo poo that's been done to Pong over the years that could make for a somewhat interesting LP.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
PersonMan and I were gonna crash the Pong thread, but then slowbeef closed it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

njsykora posted:

That thread may have produced the best bit of fanart in the subforum all year, and it came before the first update! I do hope for an update though, there is some legitimately silly poo poo that's been done to Pong over the years that could make for a somewhat interesting LP.

Or maybe something along the lines of that TIE Fighter LP?

This is still the best 'screenshot' in the thread :allears: This isn't a spoiler, is it?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I made a SStest page for my Home SSLP.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2961

Please let me know what you guys think.

Specifically I would like to know if I am giving enough information, and if I am formatting this correctly.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Peenmaster posted:

I made a SStest page for my Home SSLP.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2961

Please let me know what you guys think.

Specifically I would like to know if I am giving enough information, and if I am formatting this correctly.

It looked good to me and, I'm sure you know this though, I'd say make the actual update longer. And if there's any way to get music links in there, that'd be great, too, since I'd like to hear the piano music, instead of imagining my own.

Other than that, I liked it, and I'm kind of interested. Also, since there seemed to be a vote at the end of it, I say Yes open that bitch.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

It looked good to me and, I'm sure you know this though, I'd say make the actual update longer. And if there's any way to get music links in there, that'd be great, too, since I'd like to hear the piano music, instead of imagining my own.

Other than that, I liked it, and I'm kind of interested. Also, since there seemed to be a vote at the end of it, I say Yes open that bitch.

Yeah, ideally I would like to have longer updates, but I have to get feedback for the options, since they affect the other choices in the game pretty quickly. If you have any ideas as to how I can make this work better, I would love to hear it. I'll definitely upload the music so people can hear it.

I think maybe I'll get the first 3 or so options from here in the Sandcastle, and incorporate them in the OP all at once.

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first real LP, so I really want it to be high quality.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Here's the music if you're interested. Once I go live with this it will be included in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykv4IVJtZ7U

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Peenmaster posted:

Yeah, ideally I would like to have longer updates, but I have to get feedback for the options, since they affect the other choices in the game pretty quickly. If you have any ideas as to how I can make this work better, I would love to hear it.

Well, the only thing I can think of would be go through the options as presented, then show us a bit of what happens with what you chose, then have us pick which one we want to see.

It's not a great solution, but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Maybe someone else will have a better idea or you'll think of one.

Edit: Good Lord, that music gives me the heebie-jeebies something terrible. Re-reading the little test post with that playing made it a lot better.

Leave fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 26, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

PersonMan and I were gonna crash the Pong thread, but then slowbeef closed it.

I'll reopen it. This better be good!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

slowbeef posted:

I'll reopen it. This better be good!

Define "good".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If PersonMan is involved I wouldn't be surprised if it has already been abandoned.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We have something going, that's all I'm gonna say.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Well, the only thing I can think of would be go through the options as presented, then show us a bit of what happens with what you chose, then have us pick which one we want to see.

It's not a great solution, but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Maybe someone else will have a better idea or you'll think of one.

Edit: Good Lord, that music gives me the heebie-jeebies something terrible. Re-reading the little test post with that playing made it a lot better.

I think I'm going to make the OP include the part after this first choice. I'll go with yes and say that Sandcastle voted, since it kind of did.

Going live with this today. Thanks for your help and feedback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If PersonMan is involved I wouldn't be surprised if it has already been abandoned.
I wish it had been.

• Locked thread