Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benzoyl Peroxide
Jun 6, 2007

[C6H5C(O)]2O2

Red7 posted:

Restrepo is probably one of the closest you'd get to the Our War style.

If you put "Afghanistan documentary" into Youtube, you'll get a whole bunch of full documentaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAMbnElCMAo

I'd forgotten about Restrepo. That was great. Really upsetting when Tim Hetherington died last year in Libya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

steve1 posted:

I wonder what would have happened if the technology the Syrian people have now was available to Iraqis ten years ago.
I'm guessing it would have been a lot harder for the established media channels to shape the narrative of the conflict.
Who knows, when smartphone technology penetrates Waziristan it might just become a little harder politically to blow entire families to pieces over there?

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Because emotion driven reasoning is the best way to justify going to war (which is what an "intervention" would be.)

I'm with you guys 100% on the vapidity of mainstream American news (compounded by the fact that most Americans don't even follow the worthless mainstream sources) but there are about 500 different reasons why open Western intervention would be a terrible idea and only one in favor: stopping bad people from doing bad things...which happens every day all around the globe.

Doing nothing is a valid policy option and on this issue it appears that D.C. finally remembered that for once.

I was under the impression that the intervention in Libya was pretty successful. Provide no fly zones, maybe destroy the Syrian loyalist army heavy weapons and let the FSA do their job. If they continue fighting, it could go on for years, like in Lebanon and put the entire population through the meat grinder.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Kombotron posted:

I was under the impression that the intervention in Libya was pretty successful. Provide no fly zones, maybe destroy the Syrian loyalist army heavy weapons and let the FSA do their job. If they continue fighting, it could go on for years, like in Lebanon and put the entire population through the meat grinder.

Its come up before (admittedly a long time ago) but the intervention in Libya was a special case due to the poor state of Qaddafi's military and notably air defense. Syria has or had a much more capable air defense system and any air campaign might be a repeat of Yugoslavia in terms of air loses - which no one has any interest in.

Additionally the NATO strikes in Libya were engaging targets mostly in rural areas and within the context of established front lines. Thats not the case in Syria, where airstrikes in cities and confused lines are going to cause more civilian or FSA causalities than what is acceptable.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The problem with a Syrian no fly zone is they've got a better air defense system which would require much more resources and a higher risk to take out than the Libyan air defense system, plus Libya was relatively isolated and Syria borders Israel and Turkey, increasing the risk of revenge attacks. It could be done, but not without significant risk and cost.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Kombotron posted:

Syria isn't Libya...and the intervention in Libya is considered successful in retrospect because the best case outcome occurred. You don't (or at least shouldn't) plan for best case outcomes when it comes to war.

Also, I got a kick out of this

Kombotron posted:

maybe destroy the Syrian loyalist army heavy weapons

being right below this

Invalido posted:

blow entire families to pieces over there?

FYI munitions the U.S. uses in Waziristan aren't baby homing death bombs while the munitions NATO used in Libya were happy fun time democracy bombs of joy. When you make a decision to use military force, no matter how precise your munitions are and how good your intel is collateral damage will still occur. This is especially true when we're talking about targeting fielded military forces in urban areas...which doesn't describe the situation with government forces in Syria at all, oh wait. I'm not saying that intervention isn't possible, I'm just saying that making it sound like intervention is as simple as shooting down a few airplanes and blowing up a few tanks and then democracy breaks out a month later is a seriously simplistic and flawed way of looking at the situation (and that's barely scratching the surface of the post-conflict situation, which is going to be a complete disaster in Syria.)

E: and yeah, Syrian air defenses actually still exist, unlike Libya's decrepit non-functional systems. That's not to say that a U.S./NATO coalition don't have the capability to take them down (they do) but the problem with doing SEAD/DEAD (Suppression/Destruction of Enemy Air Defenses) is that even when you are doing it against a relatively second rate system like Syria it is still difficult...and the thing with air defenses is that you can husband them, as the Serbs did in the various conflicts in the '90s, so instead of keeping your radars on all the time and sitting by while NATO blows up your entire air defense system, you keep them in hiding, only turning the system on when you have a good chance of catching enemy aircraft in a SAM trap. Doing this means you aren't able to deny your airspace to your adversary, but it also keeps your adversary on his toes and means that the adversary has to deploy a full up SEAD package with all the airstrikes (since instead of being able to blow up the air defenses they are now just out there, waiting to be employed), something that increases the cost and complexity of any intervention airstrikes by quite a bit.

e2: And the point about neighboring countries is a very valid one, not only regarding general regional attacks but specifically regarding the risk countries allowing airstrikes from their territory would incur...any intervention airstrikes would more than likely not take place out of Israel (that's a gigantic can of worms) but the only realistic options are Turkey and maybe Jordan, with enabling assets like AWACS, ISR, and tankers operating out of the RAF airbase on Cyprus. Bottom line is that whereas with Libya the airstrikes were operated from territory that was a) either NATO soil or countries very close to NATO (Malta) and b) out of range of any possible Libyan retaliation. Not the case with Syria.

And bringing up the Lebanese Civil War in a discussion of Middle Eastern foreign interventions is...ironic, to say the least.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 24, 2012

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Syria may have better air defense systems, but a no fly zone in Syria, if instituted right this minute, would see an FSA surge that would overwhelm Assad's forces much faster than Libya, I have no doubt.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Syria may have better air defense systems, but a no fly zone in Syria, if instituted right this minute, would see an FSA surge that would overwhelm Assad's forces much faster than Libya, I have no doubt.

An actual no fly zone or a Libyan style "no fly zone" that is in reality a comprehensive air campaign against all fielded military forces? Because I suspect you are talking about the second and then you are getting into the collateral damage/fratricide issue.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I Libyan no fly zone, however you are making assumptions about the tactics or rules of engagement the no fly zone would entail. First and foremost, there is a massive air campaign against the Syrian populace right now stemming their movements. This would totally eliminate that and create a surge in and of itself. However, even a air to land campaign could work, and NATO has shown it can do this. Looking at priority targets, a NATO air campaign could wipe out the intelligence and military compounds in the country, and it could also create a clear safe-zone pathway from Turkey into the main cities. This alone would give the FSA momentum and control enough to support their guerrilla warfare within the cities, namely Aleppo and Damascus. The difference here is that there is already a massive campaign inside Damascus, unlike Libya's Tripoli which had to be taken from outside forces from other cities and towns before an uprising within the city could take place. Another factor is that there are no tribal towns loyal to Assad that make any kind of difference to the outcome, and lastly there is that the level of massacre that has taken place has far exceeded Libya, and the populace is without a doubt more likely to manage an uprising, given NATO support.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This :nws: video shows a group of badly beaten prisoners receiving even more of a beating from what appears to be Syrian soldiers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d4TANdu93s

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Interesting video of some very new looking "captured" weapons and ammo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Qnmugk9gk

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Brown Moses posted:

Interesting video of some very new looking "captured" weapons and ammo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Qnmugk9gk
A little bit of everything!
If that's the entire stash, it's likely to be smuggled weapons - where would one capture a single crate of artillery rockets?

Interesting video of what to my eyes looks like much more airworthy diy drones than we've seen thus far?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo0F45uV75U

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Invalido posted:

A little bit of everything!
If that's the entire stash, it's likely to be smuggled weapons - where would one capture a single crate of artillery rockets?
I think the question is why would they need artillery rockets when they don't have anything to fire them from? It would push it towards being captured in my mind, although it's always hard to know exactly what weapons they have.

Invalido posted:

Interesting video of what to my eyes looks like much more airworthy diy drones than we've seen thus far?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo0F45uV75U
I believe that this was claimed at the time to have been captured from some sort of research centre and they were Iranian, I think maybe the Aviationist blog took at look at them.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Brown Moses posted:

I think the question is why would they need artillery rockets when they don't have anything to fire them from?
If they care about desroying something specific, they could always modify them into these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lob_bomb

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Invalido posted:

If they care about desroying something specific, they could always modify them into these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lob_bomb

Interestingly two examples of those have been recorded, but apparently used by Syrian government forces, not the opposition. Widely used by Iranian backed insurgents in Iraq and Hezbollah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlfvJgJVqU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNte7QQIWaE

There's more to come on that on the At War blog, should be an interesting read.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

I think the question is why would they need artillery rockets when they don't have anything to fire them from? It would push it towards being captured in my mind, although it's always hard to know exactly what weapons they have.

I'm not sure if its the same as a 'lob bomb', but many of these rockets can be fired without tubes, using improvised firing posts or just lying them on a bank.

Some of the Russian ones are specifically designed so you can do this.

They can be used as the main charge and initiator for an IED as well.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Red7 posted:

I'm not sure if its the same as a 'lob bomb', but many of these rockets can be fired without tubes, using improvised firing posts or just lying them on a bank.
That's what I meant by "destroying something specific". Artillery rockets are really inaccurate, even when fired from a proper launcher aimed at precisely the right place. Any improvised launch mechanism can only make this problem worse. A lob bomb, being weighed down by a much heavier warhead won't fly nearly as far, so inaccuracy is much less of an issue, even if the modified device itself doesn't fly particularly straight or true.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from Aleppo

quote:

Ghaith Abdul-Ahad says the fighting he witnessed in Aleppo was the most vicious, he has ever witnessed in almost ten years of war reporting for the Guardian.

Speaking after returning from the city, Ghaith said:

quote:

I’ve been covering wars for almost a decade now - Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq. And I’ve never seen vicious fighting like I saw in Aleppo. You meet someone in the morning they die at the end of the day. Rebels get killed to stop a tank driving round a corner. They lack ammunition, they lack technology, they lack training, but they have people to sacrifice and that’s the horrible fact of the Syrian revolution. It ferocious, it’s really, really scary.

Human rights abuses by rebels were widespread, Ghaith reported. He witnessed an Assad loyalist being tortured in the same way that the regime's forces tortures rebels.

quote:

The same techniques, the same viciousness, the same anger. And that is widespread. One of the commanders I was with tried to prevent the rebels beating up this guy, but he couldn’t.

Those guys themselves were tortured. They have lost family members. They have seen their villages being bombs, their friends being killed. So when they do this to others, it’s a sort of therapy. It’s horrible.

Jihadis can make up to at least 15% of the rebel fighting force in the city and their presence is increasing, Ghaith said. In one front line, involving 250 rebels, 40 were jihadis, he said.

He said the ease of access partly explained the numbers of foreign fighters.

quote:

To be a jihadi in Yemen or Iraq requires a lot of organisation. But in Syria it’s very easy - you just take a flight to Istanbul, then another flight to southern Turkey and then you hop across the border. That’s why you have big big numbers of jihadis or foreign fighters far more you than you saw in Iraq, or Yemen or Somalia. It is very easy, they don’t have to dodge intelligence services, they don’t have to be on the run.

Some of them are just romantic international fighters, very much along the lines of the international brigades that fought in Spain in the 30s. The Libyans are not jihadis, they are predominantly revolutionaries. They won a revolution and they want to support their brothers in Syria against a dictatorship.

Tension between the secularists and Islamists led to clashes on the outskirts of Aleppo and in Idlib province, Ghaith said. But he added: "In Aleppo where I was, the situation was so tense, they were unified against the advancing Syrian army."

Not all the jihadis are in Syria al-Qaida, but the conditions in Syria resemble the environment in Afghanistan that prompted the formation of al-Qaida, he said. “A new wave of al-Qaida, or a jihadi organisation will emerge after a year or two of fighting in Syria,” he predicted.

quote:

The rebels are very frustrated with the presence of the jihadis. They want to keep it very quite. But at the same time those rebels are so desperate they want support from anyone. So when the jihadis come with the money, their knowledge and their expertise they have to accept them. They don’t have any choice.

Those jihadis are veterans of so many wars - they all have huge experience in urban warfare, so there is gap between them and the rebels. There is also an ideological gap. Most of the Syrian rebels are fighting for a democracy. Some of them are Islamists but very few of them are jihadis. So there is a huge gap. The jihadis are their to build their utopia.

Ghaith described the frustration of an Iraqi veteran at the democratic arguments among the rebels, while they were losing a battle in Aleppo.

But Ghaith also got the impression that the Syrian army had lost its nerve.

quote:

The Syrian army doesn’t have the guts to push towards the end of alleyway. While at the same time the Syrian rebels can’t take over the whole of Aleppo because they are disorganised and ill-equipped. So you have this balance.

Most of the soldiers in Syrian army are conscripts. They could have taken Aleppo months ago, but they are unable because they lack the will.

Ghaith said the decision by the leadership of the Free Syrian Army to shift its command centre to inside Syria would make little difference to the conduct of the war.

quote:

The rebels I met in Syria were so dismissive of the leadership of the Free Syrian Army in Turkey. For them the commanders on the ground take their allegiance

Ghaith predicted that the fighting would go on until the Syrian army imploded or the Iranian cut their life line to the Assad regime.

quote:

I think it will go on and on until something happens within the Syrian army and they decide to stop fighting. I don’t see the rebels mustering enough force, enough ammunition, enough power to take over Aleppo, let alone take over Damascus.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
What are the chances Iran will give up on Assad? As far as I understand things Syria is a major conduit through which Iran supplies Hezbollah. Would they be willing to lose Syria?

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Brown Moses posted:

This :nws: video shows a group of badly beaten prisoners receiving even more of a beating from what appears to be Syrian soldiers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d4TANdu93s

One of the soldiers was whipping them.

I don't think the Syrian Army is going to implode any time soon.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Does anyone happen to still know the name of the Libyan facebook group of moderate (secular?) moslims who were against those overreacting there? It was filled with people condemning the murders and such. I want to show it to a friend to prove not all of them go into a rage every time Mohammed gets ridiculed in the west.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Davincie posted:

Does anyone happen to still know the name of the Libyan facebook group of moderate (secular?) moslims who were against those overreacting there? It was filled with people condemning the murders and such. I want to show it to a friend to prove not all of them go into a rage every time Mohammed gets ridiculed in the west.

You're probably looking for The Sorry Project, although it looks like they won't be posting anymore.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Crasscrab posted:

What are the chances Iran will give up on Assad? As far as I understand things Syria is a major conduit through which Iran supplies Hezbollah. Would they be willing to lose Syria?

It might get to the point where they withdraw their "advisers" and stop providing weapons, but they'll never openly give up on him.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Damascus wakes to reports of a huge bomb attack

quote:

A large explosion is reported this morning at the Palestine branch of Syrian intelligence in Damascus.

According to the Saudi-owned al-Arabiya TV, both the Damascus Revolutionary Council and the 'Prophet’s Grandchildren Brigades' are claiming responsibility.

Reuters quotes Abu Moaz of Ansar al-Islam, one of the rebel groups, as saying: "At exactly 9.35am, seven improvised devices were set off in two explosions to target a school used for weekly planning meetings between shabbiha militias and security officers."

Several tweets say there have been 'dozens' of military casualties.

A video posted on YouTube (below) is said to show smoke rising from the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpGbsKyhu0
The Twitter rumour mill says multiple bombs were planted under the room where the meeting was taking place, alongside fuel tanks.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More horribleness from Syria

quote:

Syria child trauma 'appalling' - Save the Children

Children in Syria are subjected to "appalling" torture, imprisonment and abduction, and these atrocities should be better documented, a report by British charity Save the Children says.

Drawing on the testimony of Syrian refugee children, the charity calls on the United Nations to increase its presence on the ground.

It says almost every child it spoke to has seen a family member killed.

The report comes at the start of the UN General Assembly's annual meeting.

Earlier, UN envoy Lakhdar Brahimi said the situation in Syria was "extremely bad and getting worse".

Speaking after he had briefed the Security Council following his first visit to Syria since taking up the post, Mr Brahimi admitted he did not have a full plan on how to bring peace.

Although Syria is not formally on the agenda at the UN General Assembly's annual conference, it is expected to dominate discussions.

'Systematic abuse'

Save the Children has documented numerous cases of abuse against children during Syria's 18 month conflict, which was sparked by unrest over the arrest and torture of children in the town of Deraa.

The children had written a well-known slogan of the popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt on a wall.

One 15-year-old told the charity he had cigarettes put out on him when he was imprisoned in what used to be his school.

Another described being given electric shocks and sharing a cell with decomposing bodies, while a third teenager, Wael, said he had seen a six-year-old die after being tortured and starved.

The 16 year-old told the report's authors: "I watched him die. He only survived for three days and then he simply died."

"He was terrified all the time. They treated his body as though he was a dog."

Save the Children's report described the acts as "consistent, recurring and appalling".

Cat Carter, a spokeswoman for the charity, said: "The stuff I've heard from children is absolutely appalling. I've heard of children as young as 10 being tortured. I've heard of children, as young as eight, helping to remove dead bodies from rubble, with their own hands."

The UK-based charity called on the UN to increase its presence on the ground to document violations so that perpetrators can be brought to account.

'No immediate prospect'

Speaking at the UN headquarters in New York on Monday, Mr Brahimi said: "There is no disagreement anywhere that the situation in Syria is extremely bad and getting worse, that it is a threat to the region and a threat to peace and security in the world."

He said there was "no prospect for today or tomorrow to move forward", but added "I think that we will find an opening in the not too distant future".

The BBC's Barbara Plett at the UN says Mr Brahimi's mission to forge a political solution seems almost impossible, with the two parties intent on fighting rather than talking, and the Security Council deeply divided.

The UN says more than 20,000 people have been killed since anti-government protests began in Syria in March 2011. Activists put the death toll as high as 30,000.

Violence continued across the country on Monday, with activists saying the government had bombed parts of the second city, Aleppo.

The Local Co-ordination Committees, an opposition activist network, reported that at least 40 people had died in fighting, including 13 in Aleppo.

The group said the victims included three children from one family killed in air strikes in the central district of Maadi.

In addition to the fighting in Aleppo, anti-government activist group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that a five year-old girl and a man were killed during the bombardment of the southern town of Dael, in Deraa province.

Clashes between government forces and rebels were also reported in the north-eastern and north-western districts of the capital, Damascus.

More than 260,000 Syrians have fled to neighbouring countries, the UN says. There are also thought to be more than 1.2 million internally displaced people, and 2.5 million in need of humanitarian assistance

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Most major news websites have been slow to report on this blast in Damascus for some reason :tinfoil:

Edit: I am a fool to post half-minded and one-handed while babysitting.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 25, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That's the July blast.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a satellite photo analysis of the fighting in Aleppo, pretty interesting stuff
http://srhrl.aaas.org/geotech/syria/aleppo.htm

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another must read article on the fighting around Aleppo from the Guardian, Syria civil war: 'We expend the one thing we have, men. Men are dying', for example:

quote:

Inside the villa two rebel commanders and a chubby civilian in jeans and a T-shirt were exchanging pieces of paper, which the civilian signed. He issued a series of instructions to the men outside, who began transferring crates into the commanders' white Toyota pickup.

"All what I want from you is that you to shoot a small video and put it on YouTube, stating your name and your unit, and saying we are part of the Aleppo military council," the civilian told one of the commanders, who fought with the Islamist Tawheed brigade. "Then you can do whatever you want. I just need to show the Americans that units are joining the council.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Brown Moses posted:

Another must read article on the fighting around Aleppo from the Guardian, Syria civil war: 'We expend the one thing we have, men. Men are dying', for example:

The mention of Americans in turkey caught my eye in this article. Is part of the FSA getting weapons from American sources. I guess they would have a few american made weapons but that would be due to the nature of the arms trade, but they wouldn't get any directly from the American government. The Americans in the article sound, at least to me, like they're government representatives. Is the American government giving resources to the fsa?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Terebus posted:

The mention of Americans in turkey caught my eye in this article. Is part of the FSA getting weapons from American sources. I guess they would have a few american made weapons but that would be due to the nature of the arms trade, but they wouldn't get any directly from the American government. The Americans in the article sound, at least to me, like they're government representatives. Is the American government giving resources to the fsa?

Not officially. Just like every other conflict.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I believe previous articles have said they are CIA directing support towards more westward facing elements in the FSA. Most of the weapons are more likely supplied by Qatar and Saudi Arabia, proving Russia weapons and ammo that can be used along with all locally looted weapons. However, because of the geographical location and black markets you also see a full range of small arms from all sorts of countries.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

MRC48B posted:

Not officially. Just like every other conflict.

I wonder to what degree they are actually providing aid. By the sounds of it the CIA doesn't have direct contact to the FSA within Syria.

MRC48B posted:

I believe previous articles have said they are CIA directing support towards more westward facing elements in the FSA. Most of the weapons are more likely supplied by Qatar and Saudi Arabia, proving Russia weapons and ammo that can be used along with all locally looted weapons. However, because of the geographical location and black markets you also see a full range of small arms from all sorts of countries.

Is Saudi Arabia that eager to jump in and support the FSA? I know they want Iran to have less influence in the area so helping take out al-Assad would make sense in that way, but providing support for rebel movements gives them more legitimacy within Saudi Arabia itself. Maybe I'm reading into this too much and they're doing it for the sweet sweet arms trade money, but I don't see the FSA having enough money to make it profitable for Saudi Arabia to sell weapons there.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

By most cold war and later accounts, the CIA mostly does monetary aid. They send a few case officers over with some pallets of cash, and they start giving it out to guerrilla chiefs who are willing to cooperate. The chiefs use this cash to pay their fighters, bribe local officials, and buy equipment.

Suitcases full of cash are a lot easier to smuggle than guns, and this way the fighters can use equipment that is familiar to them, easy to resupply, and totally not traceable back to the United States.

When the US provides the cash, countries that do a lot of armament export, like the Saudis and Chinese, are always willing to sell.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Terebus posted:

If they are, it sure isn't making much of an impact. So many stories of people going to fight with 8 bullets and a hand me down weapon, if they're lucky. BM, you know if you linked that video of the FSA fighters showing off their American 4x4's and M16's on a blog post you can easily grab the link from? I can't remember what channel it was on, and it's always applicable when it comes to American involvement in Syria.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Volkerball posted:

If they are, it sure isn't making much of an impact. So many stories of people going to fight with 8 bullets and a hand me down weapon, if they're lucky. BM, you know if you linked that video of the FSA fighters showing off their American 4x4's and M16's on a blog post you can easily grab the link from? I can't remember what channel it was on, and it's always applicable when it comes to American involvement in Syria.

You mean this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV-dYnuJLDg

It's probably worth taking a look at the links I collected this week if you want to know more about foreign assistance, there were a number of good article on the subject this week
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/recommended-arab-spring-and-hackgate.html

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I doubt the Americans would supply M-16s covertly. M-16s are higher maintenance, more error prone, demand a higher level of training, have less familiarity with those who would be using the weapons than AK-47/74s, and positively scream "THE CIA GAVE ME THIS" whether true or not.

The U.S. has overtly supplied lots and lots of m-16s to the Iraqi Army, whose gear accountability practices are probably less than perfect.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 25, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Funnily enough one group that was spotted with M16s were this Jihadi group from Derna.

This video ends with an execution, so don't watch it to the end if you aren't interested in that sort of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZ9VPYrrx8

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The bit about "this weapon screams CIA whether true or not" is the main reason why M16-type weapons might not be supplied, even though those already proliferated to some extent in the Middle East -- but supplying ammo and magazines would be as important a factor, not this talk of maintenance or reliability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Some pictures from the Syrian Airlines Airbus/helicopter mishap from a few days ago have surfaced on the Aviation Herald. The A320 was climbing out of Damascus, when its stabilizer came into contact with the rotor of a military helicopter at 12,000 feet, shearing half of the stabilizer off and bringing the chopper down.

Surprisingly, the airplane limped back to Damascus International, where it landed safely. It's hard to view this objectively in the light of current events in Syria, but putting that bird down with such catastrophic damage is a sign of great skill and/or insane luck on the aircrew's part.

Although the official report states 200 souls, the A320-200, to my knowledge, should't be able to handle more than 150. Still, that's 150 less potential casualties.

There are also some intriguing problems here. First up, the chopper was operating at the departure corridor, and the fact that a collision occurred could mean that the helicopter's transponder was off - this wouldn't be unusual during a military operation, but then it does point to ineptitude on behalf of the Syrian airforce. I wouldn't be surprised if Damascus tower was staffed by military ATCO's either, and when the military starts directing civilian traffic, bad things happen (see the ATC strike in Argentina for reference - oh boy, was that fun). Also, I don't see this accident happening, unless one of them was upside down, but then, stranger things have happened in aviation.

Fixing that bird will be tough - I don't see it happening without Airbus engineers on the ground and a major logistical effort. One thing for sure: this plane will not be going to Toulouse any time soon.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 25, 2012

• Locked thread