Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Lectim posted:

I have my first Judo tournament this weekend and my coach is a little concerned about my cardio. He told me today that he's fine with me losing in a fight but if I lose just because I got gassed he's gonna be pissed. I run when I can, but is there anything else that I can do to improve my cardio?

Also any other kinds of tournament tips would be greatly appreciated.

HIIT or other interval sprinting will help better than long distance running when it comes to grappling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lectim posted:

I have my first Judo tournament this weekend and my coach is a little concerned about my cardio. He told me today that he's fine with me losing in a fight but if I lose just because I got gassed he's gonna be pissed. I run when I can, but is there anything else that I can do to improve my cardio?

You aren't going to be able to do too much in 3-4 days, but seconding the HIIT idea. If your cardio is non-existent you'll probably see a noticeable difference after just a few sessions.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Have any of you injured your knuckles before?

The middle finger knuckle on my power hand has been sore and swollen for like three weeks now. My doctor sent me to get an x-ray and that was a week ago, haven't heard back yet.

Wondering if anyone has had anything similar and how long it took to heal :/

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Usually my hand/knuckle injuries persist for maybe a week and a half, at three weeks you might have busted something. If you head back to the gym it looks like your jab is gonna get some work!

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
awkward_turtle

How was that tournament? I was close to going it myself but had something spring up last minute. I may shoot for it next year, although I would be 188.5 but same divisions.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Lectim posted:

That's very little time, but some HIIT will give you a little boost.

I highly recommend rowing if you have access to a rowing machine. I always found it gave me the best cardio for Judo. Running would be my 2nd choice.

Obviously don't go overboard since you're so close to the tournament. Take the last day off and don't go crazy the previous day.

I only did a handful of judo tournaments, but do you need to lose weight? If so be intelligent with the way you drink/eat after you've been weighted. I did the mistake of drinking/eating too much once and the tournament was a horrible experience of wanting to puke, having no cardio whatsoever, etc. It was truly horrible.

Bring a MP3 player, there's a lot of waiting in a tournament. Watch the fights of the guys you're gonna be competing against if they fight before you so you have an idea of how they fight.

Make a game plan and try to follow it. First tournament means you'll probably be super stressed and you'll be full of adrenaline during the fights. I tend to suck at thinking during a fight so I try to think of something I'd like to do before. Sometime it won't be possible to stick to that, but it'll at least help you to have some general objectives so I don't have to make them up as I go(may be you want to aim for a specific grip or whatever).

Also, do you have something to do against people who are constantly going backward? In my experience in the lower belts, a lot of people will be going backwards because they are afraid of being thrown. Don't over commit to them, they'll get shidos if all they do is stiff-arm you and run away.

In the end, just enjoy the tournament! It's so much fun even when it doesn't go the way you wanted it too. I always had fun and it really boosted my motivation to train hard overall.

P.S. Cut, your, fingernails! I lost my first fight ever in part because my fingernails were too long and it hosed my grip. I hated myself for this.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

mewse posted:

The middle finger knuckle on my power hand has been sore and swollen for like three weeks now. My doctor sent me to get an x-ray and that was a week ago, haven't heard back yet.

The closest thing I got to that was a really stupid injury. My friend who does TMA had a rebreakable board lying around at a new years party and I punched through it all night without gloves. Nothing broke but my knuckles were sore and swollen and my hand wasn't a hundred percent for probably five or six weeks. Didnt see any docs though mind you, knuckles just take a while to heal.

mewse
May 2, 2006

attackmole posted:

The closest thing I got to that was a really stupid injury. My friend who does TMA had a rebreakable board lying around at a new years party and I punched through it all night without gloves. Nothing broke but my knuckles were sore and swollen and my hand wasn't a hundred percent for probably five or six weeks. Didnt see any docs though mind you, knuckles just take a while to heal.

OK that's comforting knowing this is sort of normal

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So I got some good advice from one of our MMA guys that was pummeling me yesterday:
"Yeah, what Coach X says about never backing up is cool and all, but when I hit you like 30 times in a row you should probably move"
Really gotta get that circling thing down... :downs:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coach are you seriously trying to tell me NOT to get punched in the head?

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Rikthor posted:

awkward_turtle

How was that tournament? I was close to going it myself but had something spring up last minute. I may shoot for it next year, although I would be 188.5 but same divisions.

US Grappling actually runs the tournament, and they do as well as anybody. I've been to a NAGA like once, but some of my friends have been and they had nothing but positive things to say when comparing USG. The competition was mostly local, definitely smaller than the last classic I went too, though I'm not entirely sure why. There were still a handful of people from as far as Charlotte and at least one 50/50 rash guard. Rob and Guy Pendergrass are two super nice and classy dudes and it's for charity, there aren't a lot of reasons not to go.

The venue was a little small this time around though. It would have been nice to have a warm up mat.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

mewse posted:

Haha gently caress HEMA :(

I think I've had all of my knuckles smashed individually on a regular basis ever since I took up that hobby. Never got one of them x-rayed, never broke anything, I'm usually over the worst after a week, but depending on the knuckle/damage you can feel the hit for months afterwards. If it's still swollen after 3 weeks you did something interesting, what happened?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Rhaka posted:

Haha gently caress HEMA :(

I think I've had all of my knuckles smashed individually on a regular basis ever since I took up that hobby. Never got one of them x-rayed, never broke anything, I'm usually over the worst after a week, but depending on the knuckle/damage you can feel the hit for months afterwards. If it's still swollen after 3 weeks you did something interesting, what happened?

Have you considered getting a good pair of gloves? Lacrosse or ice hockey gloves are very good for it.

Also, keep your hands high to cover the line.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think I may be going too hard in training, I went for two 1.5 hour sessions Monday with intense conditioning in the first, felt good in the second, then yesterday I got really really loving tight/sore but shrugged it off and stretched out, was able to last during padwork/bagwork and finished with more conditioning and then went again last night, did a shitload of elbow/knee work and now I'm regretting it, left knee feels overstretched, my arms are so tight that typing is a chore and I have to stretch them every hour or so. Think I'll just intake a lot of healthy poo poo and take a few days off.

E: on the flip side, When I look at myself in the mirror in the morning I keep noticing muscle tone I swear I didn't have before and each session at the gym feels better and better. My first week or two at class I actually wanted to quit and dreaded it every time the instructor would say "alright grab thai pads and belly pads" but now I actually look forward to it. gently caress I love Muay Thai, it's become an obsession in my life.

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 26, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Israfel posted:

I think I may be going too hard in training, I went for two 1.5 hour sessions Monday with intense conditioning in the first, felt good in the second, then yesterday I got really really loving tight/sore but shrugged it off and stretched out, was able to last during padwork/bagwork and finished with more conditioning and then went again last night, did a shitload of elbow/knee work and now I'm regretting it, left knee feels overstretched, my arms are so tight that typing is a chore and I have to stretch them every hour or so. Think I'll just intake a lot of healthy poo poo and take a few days off.

Definitely work up to training 3+hrs a day with conditioning. Do you lift weights, by the way?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fontoyn posted:

Definitely work up to training 3+hrs a day with conditioning. Do you lift weights, by the way?

No, I do light cardio on the days I can't go to the gym because of work though, I kind of want to start doing HIIT though, any advice?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Israfel posted:

No, I do light cardio on the days I can't go to the gym because of work though, I kind of want to start doing HIIT though, any advice?

Hill sprints/aerodyne bike work is pretty much the go-to for most fight conditioning programs. Nothing but sparring will ever have a huge impact on how well you spar if you're training pretty regularly, but the extra cardio can really make a difference in how you last during the conditioning phase.

But honestly it sounds like your gym does plenty of HIIT already; we talked about this a little bit earlier but extra high intensity conditioning might make it harder to train as often as you want. It sounds out of place in all the modern conditioning poo poo people do but honestly long, slower runs are an awesome off-day exercise that won't gently caress up your ability to recover and will improve your cardio regardless.

I mentioned lifting weights because a lot of guys don't. Lifting will almost always translate positively to how hard you hit, but more importantly it has the side effect of strengthing all the extra tissue that holds your joints and bones together. It never hurts to throw in 2 full body lifting sessions a week just to stormproof your body against the amount of training you'll inevitably be doing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rhaka posted:

If it's still swollen after 3 weeks you did something interesting, what happened?

I was trying to open a mayo jar

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
As a newbie to BJJ and being horribly out of shape, nothing is more motivational than realizing that I lost 12 lb since I started a couple months ago and in the same day having your coach tell you to keep training and that he has his eye on you. :love: :love:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

mewse posted:

I was trying to open a mayo jar

This is the best injury story

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kekekela posted:

This is the best injury story

My head coach tore a tendon in his hand flicking one of his (5) cats

mewse
May 2, 2006

The guys at the gym say I should have a better story, like I took on 4 guys in an alley, but it was a mayo jar.

And then I trained with it a couple times and the knuckle stung both times so I started taking it easy, and then two weeks had gone by and it was still messed up so I went to the doctor

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Zombywuf posted:

Have you considered getting a good pair of gloves? Lacrosse or ice hockey gloves are very good for it.

Also, keep your hands high to cover the line.

I rock some Lacrosse gloves, they keep my knuckles decently protected at the cost of no real padding for the sides and tips of the fingers, not terribly ideal. And some people hit hard enough to break poo poo straight through Lacrosse gloves, mainly in tournaments. I've seen some interesting glove designs in the works, and I won't spar with steel unless I'm wearing Ensifers or something or other, which I don't terribly like because I can't use my thumb very well in those. Hand protection really is the one piece of HEMA gear that needs some serious work on getting good, affordable options out there.

mewse posted:

The guys at the gym say I should have a better story, like I took on 4 guys in an alley, but it was a mayo jar.

You tried to open 4 mayo jars in an alley?

In like, Brooklyn.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I used to run into this problem all the time when I opened all manner of jars, doors, and boxes with the power of Kung Fu.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Rhaka posted:

You tried to open 4 mayo jars in an alley?

In like, Brooklyn.

Daaaamn. Those hasidic jews will curbstomp you if they see you with one jar of Mayo. Four, though... I don't even want to think about it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

My head coach tore a tendon in his hand flicking one of his (5) cats

I had to take six months off training because I picked up a mirror the wrong way and broke all my toes.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Rhaka posted:

I rock some Lacrosse gloves, they keep my knuckles decently protected at the cost of no real padding for the sides and tips of the fingers, not terribly ideal.

There is something in the way you hold your hands that seem to make Lacrosse gloves work or not work. I've had guys tell me this before and then get them to demonstrate, but everything they try either hits straight across the padding or is deflected by the quillions. Haven't been able to work out why it works for me but doesn't work for them.

Maybe it's just that I mainly do one handed weapons and their all about turning the hand to protect it and the arm.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Possibly, I barely get hit on the hands when I do Messer. With Longsword it's not a huge problem, because my defense is up to scratch, unless people start actively hand sniping. Also, hits with a longsword connect significantly harder than single-handers, it's that whole leverage thing you get going. If that hits a soft bit of the glove it hurts like a bitch.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Rhaka posted:

Also, hits with a longsword connect significantly harder than single-handers, it's that whole leverage thing you get going.

Now them's fighting words.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Rhaka posted:

Possibly, I barely get hit on the hands when I do Messer. With Longsword it's not a huge problem, because my defense is up to scratch, unless people start actively hand sniping. Also, hits with a longsword connect significantly harder than single-handers, it's that whole leverage thing you get going. If that hits a soft bit of the glove it hurts like a bitch.

I can't even imagine how much it much hurt. I remember doing kendo and I had a couple of hand injuries from a shinai while wearing protection gloves. A steel sword, or even just a hard wood sword hit must be horrible.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Does anyone have experience with practicing in smallish third world countries? I want to do either Muay Thai or Boxing, with BJJ as a far third option. Thing is, there are really few gyms that I have been able to find that offer those, and most of them are kind of shady. Just today I got an email back from the only Muay Thai gym close by that actually said I had to pay for an introductory class, which the OP said to avoid. What else should I look out for? Should I just give in?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Are you living in a third world country or are you seriously considering going to a third world country to learn? I'm confused. On a related note, where are you at?

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Novum posted:

Are you living in a third world country or are you seriously considering going to a third world country to learn? I'm confused. On a related note, where are you at?

Am living in Chile. I mean, it is not part of Africa, but I still. There is much less options to choose from compared to the US, or many european countries. Hell even larger countries in latin america like Argentina, Brazil or Mexico, because this country is not the place for money or recognition to be gained.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Medieval Medic posted:

Am living in Chile. I mean, it is not part of Africa, but I still. There is much less options to choose from compared to the US, or many european countries. Hell even larger countries in latin america like Argentina, Brazil or Mexico, because this country is not the place for money or recognition to be gained.

I'm still confused, do you mean you are considering going to another country to train ie Thailand for Muay Thai or are you asking specifically about Chile? There's shitloads of reputable and hole-in-the-wall gyms in Thailand that have excellent training which a bit of googling will reveal.

If you mean Chile specifically, maybe consider that the OP may not apply to all gyms globally? If you have any experience in Muay Thai you should be able to at least check out the gym and see if they're legit even if they want you to pay for an intro lesson, but if they won't even let you watch a class then I'd say yeah it's a red flag. Is the intro lesson at least cheap or something?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Look on the bright side! When solar warming melts the ice caps and the oceans rise, everybody in Chile will be unaffected and you will be living on a cool little island. I will be dead.

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Look on the bright side! When solar warming melts the ice caps and the oceans rise, everybody in Chile will be unaffected and you will be living on a cool little island. I will be dead.

Good point. Which martial art should I learn to defend against natural disasters?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Gently KRS posted:

Good point. Which martial art should I learn to defend against natural disasters?

Track and Field

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Chile is far from a 3rd world shithole, I think you're just dealing with a shady gym.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Also the term third world is antiquated since the cold war ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Zombywuf posted:

Now them's fighting words.

Swords, not words!

If we bump into eachother at an event, by all means, let's have at it. Swordfish, by any chance?

• Locked thread