Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

RadicalR posted:

So which path should I take on them?

SMT2 follows the neutral ending to the first game, so the middle path is probably best if you're one of those people who like things to make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

RadicalR posted:

:doh:

Guess I need to go back and give myself a refresher course on SMT 1 and 2 for the Super Nintendo!

So which path should I take on them?

There's actually an edit of the rom for SMT1 that fixes a lot of bugs, and adds the map to the L/R buttons. It's :filez: unfortunately.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RadicalR posted:

I hear Neutral is painful. As in you gotta be careful what kinds of demons you get, what choices you gotta make, etc, etc.

That just makes it a better way to prove that humanity is truly superior to both demons and angels!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

El Belmondo posted:

There's actually an edit of the rom for SMT1 that fixes a lot of bugs, and adds the map to the L/R buttons. It's :filez: unfortunately.

No standalone patch? I would thunk that someone would made one.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
SMT2 makes absolutely no sense anyway from what I remember. I should go back and replay it now given that I know a lot more about the general mythos and such. I remember being so confused over poo poo like Yahveh.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

RadicalR posted:

No standalone patch? I would thunk that someone would made one.

I'll ask around and see if there's a patch, since it allows for a full Law playthrough unlike the original version in the LP archive. It also changes a lot of stuff like Magic stone to life stone, gaki to preta, and localizes some of the spells from Maha-x to Ma-

e: The editor of the rom is still bug fixing, but he says he'll release an .ips with his finished version, along with a Spanish translation.

El Belmondo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 21, 2012

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Got a question about music: looking to find the tune that plays during finishers in Persona 4 Arena. I'm certain I've heard it in a Persona title, I just can't remember where.

For reference, it's the music played below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdGG5DdmOPA

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

That'd be Mist, it plays for one of the last boss fights in Persona 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ZJCiX0olY

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just got Devil Survivor 2. I haven't finished Devil Survivor 1, and I don't have it with me. Does Devil Survivor 2 spoil anything for the first game, or can I play that without any issue?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

PureRok posted:

I just got Devil Survivor 2. I haven't finished Devil Survivor 1, and I don't have it with me. Does Devil Survivor 2 spoil anything for the first game, or can I play that without any issue?

They're completely unrelated story wise, so go nuts.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
So did Atlus reprint a bunch of the PS2 SMT games or is there some sort of sale? Nocturne, Persona 3 and 4, and Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are all 19.99 new on Amazon. I snagged the first three as Strange Journey has transformed me from "SMT what is that" to "SMT gently caress YESSSSS".

Also, how well do the SNES games hold up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

So did Atlus reprint a bunch of the PS2 SMT games or is there some sort of sale? Nocturne, Persona 3 and 4, and Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are all 19.99 new on Amazon. I snagged the first three as Strange Journey has transformed me from "SMT what is that" to "SMT gently caress YESSSSS".

The SNES games are dated. If you can deal with that they're fun but they are dated to an extreme and contain a lot of rough patches.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

SavageMessiah posted:

There have been a few reprints over the past couple years, enough that all of the PS2 MegaTens can be found for sane prices (except Devil Summoner: Raidou 1, which never got reprinted and still fetches $40+ used).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Did we all imagine that PAL PSN thing for Digital Devil Saga 1/2 by the way?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ConanThe3rd posted:

Did we all imagine that PAL PSN thing for Digital Devil Saga 1/2 by the way?

According to Ghostlight's blog, they'd finished and submitted it to Sony, and all that was left was for it to make its way through the approval process.

That was back in April.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

According to Ghostlight's blog, they'd finished and submitted it to Sony, and all that was left was for it to make its way through the approval process.

That was back in April.

There's a more recent article about it having emulation problems:
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/10/shin-megami-tensei-digital-devil-saga-games-have-emulator-problems-on-psn/

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

SavageMessiah posted:

Personally, I find the SNES games great. They're very unbalanced and unforgiving, but they're from the era of RPG where the games were very freeform, and like most SMT games, being prepared and using buffs is the best strategy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I strongly suspect the answer is "No way", but I have to ask. Is there any chance of a localization of the Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for the PSP? Yeah, the PSP has been dead for a while but a few specialty releases like P2: Innocent Sin have been trickling out in the US which keeps me from completely giving up hope. So, is it even possible that we'll get P2:EP as the "final" NA PSP release (other than the inevitable sports game that will be the last real release for a system)?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Some higher quality screenshot scans of SMT4:

I wonder how high stats are gonna go, because that 30 Vitality the hero is sporting doesn't even look close to being a third of the way across the stat bar.

Rad ROM Max
Mar 10, 2011

by XyloJW

El Belmondo posted:

what are the bugs

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TurnipFritter posted:

I wonder how high stats are gonna go, because that 30 Vitality the hero is sporting doesn't even look close to being a third of the way across the stat bar.

It's 126 total at level 20, which comes out to 6.3 stats a level. Megami Fortuna in Strange Journey has 75, or 3.75 stats a level.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

baku posted:

what are the bugs

Game had a lot of crash bugs and I think at one point a trigger could break that screwed your entire save file.

Rad ROM Max
Mar 10, 2011

by XyloJW

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Game had a lot of crash bugs and I think at one point a trigger could break that screwed your entire save file.

Really? I know SMT2 on the ps1 was hosed to where they had to do a rerelease but this is the first time I've heard of anything on the SFC games.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It was more that the emulators at the time exacerbated a few of them, and so the translated game was basically unplayable in ZSNES without a lot of savestates. I honestly don't know how it held up on actual hardware, but the fact that a v1.1 ended up being created and released is telling.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

baku posted:

what are the bugs

Numerous glitched text boxes, graphical glitches, many alignment events had messed up code pointers, the entire Law ending was unreachable.

I believe it's because they chose to hack v 1.0 instead of the newer 1.1 rom. That, or shoddy hacking.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Some higher quality screenshot scans of SMT4:

I hope I'm not alone in loving the area design in the shots.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The area design is one of the few good points shown so far.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, the area design looks great. Too bad about the other things!

Rad ROM Max
Mar 10, 2011

by XyloJW

El Belmondo posted:

Numerous glitched text boxes, graphical glitches, many alignment events had messed up code pointers, the entire Law ending was unreachable.

I believe it's because they chose to hack v 1.0 instead of the newer 1.1 rom. That, or shoddy hacking.

oh... hacking. ok it all makes sense now
I play in japanese lol

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RME posted:

I hope I'm not alone in loving the area design in the shots.

Hell I'm even loving the generic brick dungeon area.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"I know its kinda, like, annoying, but I can't join you!"

Thank you Lilim for saying exactly what was on my mind.

I love Nocturne but I loving hate this recruitment system, its the only blemish on an otherwise perfect game.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Yeah, Nocturne's recruitment system is probably the worst in the series. You can give in to their every demand and it won't be enough if you can't guess which answer to their bullshit philosophical question they feel like agreeing with this minute.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Once I bought that duder on Amala Part 1, it became so much easier. Oh, is the Kagutsuchi getting full? Riberama time. All done? Estoma.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I think the Dante/Raidou chase sequence and the Sonic Bonus Level tubes in the Amala Labyrinth are pretty terrible too.

There are a couple of other missteps, like a lack of skill explanations, not being able to see what abilities a Magatama teaches or what a demon learns (this latter is particularly annoying because of the time investment it takes to level up demons), but I can write those off as growing pains.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rasamune posted:

Yeah, Nocturne's recruitment system is probably the worst in the series. You can give in to their every demand and it won't be enough if you can't guess which answer to their bullshit philosophical question they feel like agreeing with this minute.

Persona 2's contact system works pretty much the same way, sometimes you just get completely dicked over by a "hey do you like older women?" or something, the right answer to which is seemingly random and 75% of the time the wrong answers just piss them off.

It's probably my least favorite part of that game, too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Having used save states I can confirm that sometimes there's no answer that is right.

Sometimes the RNG just goes "Nope" and dicks you over.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Zombies' Downfall posted:

the right answer to which is seemingly random and 75% of the time the wrong answers just piss them off.
This is what pisses me off about every single iteration of the demon negotiation system. I would be fine with it if demons stuck to their answers, but the fact that what they want you to say to them changes at the drop of a dime just pisses me off and makes me want nothing else to do with the game. Hell, if everyone stuck to their answers you could even have a few that randomly decided which answer they prefer as a quirky trait. I feel like this would actually lend more character to demons because they have more consistent views as opposed to wildly vacillating ideas.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

kthegreat posted:

This is what pisses me off about every single iteration of the demon negotiation system. I would be fine with it if demons stuck to their answers, but the fact that what they want you to say to them changes at the drop of a dime just pisses me off and makes me want nothing else to do with the game. Hell, if everyone stuck to their answers you could even have a few that randomly decided which answer they prefer as a quirky trait. I feel like this would actually lend more character to demons because they have more consistent views as opposed to wildly vacillating ideas.

Yeah, and that's if they even hit you with the question at all rather than just loving off with your stuff. That's why the only question I feel needs to be answer is YEEEEEEEAH, ANYTHING GOES WHEN YOU'RE FEELING GOOD, AM I RIGHT????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Alteisen posted:

"I know its kinda, like, annoying, but I can't join you!"

Thank you Lilim for saying exactly what was on my mind.

I love Nocturne but I loving hate this recruitment system, its the only blemish on an otherwise perfect game.

What is nice is that it tends to get easier to recruit that demon the more often you run into it, so if you don't get it the first or second time you're bound to acquire it pretty soon anyway.

The only thing I hate about the system is the inability to talk with Tyrant demons.