Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
It is part of the ROM, I think. Just go into Settings => About Phone and disable the statistics if it is that big of an issue, you jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Oh loving hell. I used Superwipe a few weeks ago, when rooting, and I hadn't checked my Vaulty app in a while and just now noticed that all of my pictures are gone. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. Goose.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That's what you get for using something stupid like Superwipe.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Gyshall posted:

Euroskank builds are loving awesome, lovely names aside. For instance, the Euroskank CM10 builds have a center clock option for the status bar - which is missing in the official CM10 builds, as far as I can tell.

I used that in AOKP and it looks like utter arse when you have more than five or so notifications due to them overlapping.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
I'm running CM10 M1 on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and the GPS doesn't really work. Is there a nightly after that where it's fixed, or is it working in Jellybro?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there anyone else in this thread that happens to have a Droid Razr (CDMA) and has taken a chance on a CM10 rom?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I would like to go back to Sense for the HTC EVO LTE and unroot so I can sell this phone to a friend and buy a new one. What is the best, painless method of doing this? Thanks.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

SyRauk posted:

I would like to go back to Sense for the HTC EVO LTE and unroot so I can sell this phone to a friend and buy a new one. What is the best, painless method of doing this? Thanks.

Download an RUU for your phone (Found here) and install it to your phone.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Experto Crede posted:

Download an RUU for your phone (Found here) and install it to your phone.

This will also revert it back to Sense's stock ROM?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

SyRauk posted:

This will also revert it back to Sense's stock ROM?

Yes. All of HTC's stock ROMs have Sense.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Thank you!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Is there anyone else in this thread that happens to have a Droid Razr (CDMA) and has taken a chance on a CM10 rom?

I looked into that very recently and it seems that you would be missing the camera, and the guy that got through the kernel got as far as getting one core working, then dropped the project ? despite swearing the contrary.

I honestly can;t follow the drat threads,and its just pushing me to a cheap nexus or similar for the final year my contract is for, probably right around when people dump phones for the end of year upgrading

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am trying to use a promo code on an app but the app is telling me I am using a "non traditional operating system". I am using CM10 on my GS3, is there any way to spoof stock credentials? What data are they reading to determine this?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I'm a dickwad.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 25, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

right arm posted:

I'm a dickwad.

True.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 25, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

I'm 1.22 so I downloaded that appropriate exe but I get an error everytime I try to run it.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

SyRauk posted:

I'm 1.22 so I downloaded that appropriate exe but I get an error everytime I try to run it.

What's the error say? Have put put your phone into the HBOOT menu and then selecting FASTBOOT? You get that screen by holding volume down, turning on the phone, and selecting FASTBOOT.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

right arm posted:

I'm a dickwad.

Yes, this is correct.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 25, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

What's the error say? Have put put your phone into the HBOOT menu and then selecting FASTBOOT? You get that screen by holding volume down, turning on the phone, and selecting FASTBOOT.

Derp. Forgot to put it in that mode. Thank for your patience, I forget obvious things like that.

edit: And just as soon as I thought it was working I get

"Error [155]: Unknown Error

The Rom Update Utility cannot update your Android phone.

Please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again"

edit: fixed and back to stock

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 25, 2012

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Roundboy posted:

I looked into that very recently and it seems that you would be missing the camera, and the guy that got through the kernel got as far as getting one core working, then dropped the project ? despite swearing the contrary.

I honestly can;t follow the drat threads,and its just pushing me to a cheap nexus or similar for the final year my contract is for, probably right around when people dump phones for the end of year upgrading

Yea I've been trying to check out 2 or 3 of the threads on XDA for this, and its been pretty underwhelming.

I'm also pretty intimidated with it because half the roms seem to be "this will only work if you used x root method. If you used y's root method, your phone will blow up and you will die".

This is not as awesome as the Droid Incredible where I just had to root it once, and Rom Manager did everything. It doesn't even seem like anyone cares to do anything about the Razr :/

But, the razr isn't terrible and then again I got this phone for 40$ when it came out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I usually go weeks without ever turning my rooted, stock Galaxy Nexus off, but I've been messing around with it today and noticed that every time I turn it off and then back on, it spends like 5 minutes at the "Android is updating, optimizing apps" dialog.

Googling leads to lots of people with the same issue on different phones, but not really any solutions.

I've tried fixing permissions and clearing dalvik to no avail.

Any ideas?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

I usually go weeks without ever turning my rooted, stock Galaxy Nexus off, but I've been messing around with it today and noticed that every time I turn it off and then back on, it spends like 5 minutes at the "Android is updating, optimizing apps" dialog.

Googling leads to lots of people with the same issue on different phones, but not really any solutions.

I've tried fixing permissions and clearing dalvik to no avail.

Any ideas?
First search result for part of your post in quotes
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1655525

quote:

I found out what caused this message for me... It was Titanium Backup odex file. So you can do two things, you can remove and then install again Titanium Backup or go in to /data/app and remove TB odex file and reboot phone....

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat is correct, this is caused by out-of-date odex files causing the Dalvik cache to be wiped. The updating/optimizing message is displayed when the Dalvik cache is being rebuilt for whatever reason which obviously happens when the odex files designed to speed the process are not useful and invalidated.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Huh.

Anyone else with a Sprint GNex keeping up with CM10 nightlies having wallet app issues?

I'm getting an "Account Locked" message when I try to set up (one has been on the account for months, the other for well over a year, maybe more since I don't remember if they just pulled it from Google Checkout or if I added it myself back in the day) my account's cards for NFC usage. I've been sticking with CM10 nightlies since July (and before that the Euroskank JB nightlies) and only within the past week has this issue come up. I used the thing on a daily basis (since getting the phone in April) to get my daily bottles of orange juice.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 26, 2012

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My wife is finally fed up with all the crappy software on her LG Optimus V (Virgin Mobile) and asked me to root it to clean it up a bit.

After doing a bit of research it seems like a real pain in the rear end and even doing a factory reset at any point will brick the phone.

Anybody have experience with this phone? Any good ROMs?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Made the jump to CM10 nightlies without a hitch, titanium and ROM manager are really something. The ability to restore even my text from xml was awesome, if somewhat slow.

So now I have 4.1.1 radios and a ROM based on JB, what's the story with kernels?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

two_beer_bishes posted:

My wife is finally fed up with all the crappy software on her LG Optimus V (Virgin Mobile) and asked me to root it to clean it up a bit.

After doing a bit of research it seems like a real pain in the rear end and even doing a factory reset at any point will brick the phone.

Anybody have experience with this phone? Any good ROMs?

"My wife" rules out pretty much anything that isn't stock. That said, getting CM9 running on an Optimus V this well is a triumph: http://getquattrimus.com/

Root and install Clockwork Recovery, and make drat sure you do a full backup of the phone. I installed Quattrimus for my boss and he likes it, but I don't even remember what build that was. Caveat emptor.

WebDO posted:

Made the jump to CM10 nightlies without a hitch, titanium and ROM manager are really something. The ability to restore even my text from xml was awesome, if somewhat slow.

So now I have 4.1.1 radios and a ROM based on JB, what's the story with kernels?

You only flash a kernel over your ROM if you want to overclock/underclock the rom, or undervolt it. These things can increase/decrease performance/battery depending on how good you are at fiddling with them. Sometimes a kernel (especially on something new like CM10) can break functionality like Camera and Phone in unforeseen ways, or cause the phone to never wake from sleep, or randomly reboot. The default CM10 settings are pretty good if you're not balls-to-the-walls about getting the phone to last the day. Full disclosure, I'm running an overclocking kernel.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Doctor rear end in a top hat is correct, this is caused by out-of-date odex files causing the Dalvik cache to be wiped. The updating/optimizing message is displayed when the Dalvik cache is being rebuilt for whatever reason which obviously happens when the odex files designed to speed the process are not useful and invalidated.

Sorry, I've been a terribly unclear poster this week (lack of sleep). I realize it's the odex file issue. The problem is that it's not Titanium Backup, and I don't really know how to figure out which file is the problem.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Sorry, I've been a terribly unclear poster this week (lack of sleep). I realize it's the odex file issue. The problem is that it's not Titanium Backup, and I don't really know how to figure out which file is the problem.
Would blowing away all the odex files hurt anything other than cause one really slow startup?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Root and install Clockwork Recovery, and make drat sure you do a full backup of the phone.

Just FYI there are different root procedures depending on the screen vendor.

quote:

In addition to the disclaimer above, MacFett has pointed out that it is important to determine which OS you are running (2.2.1 or 2.2.2) and type screen you have as flashing the wrong recovery or ROM could soft brick your device. Read this first: How to determine which screen your phone has. If you have a 2.2.1 with the Novatek screen you can flash anything. If you have 2.2.2 with the Hitachi screen you will soft brick your phone if you flash a recovery or ROM just for the 2.2.1.

In the future you might want to be a little bit more detailed in your explanations of how to do things since little tidbits like this being left out can really ruin someones day. Rooting can be a complex operation and the devil is entirely in the details. In the interest of being a better poster than you currently are: be excessively detailed. Nobody wants to be that rear end in a top hat whose lack of foresight caused someone to gently caress their phone up.

Android Forums Optimus V All things Root Guide

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 26, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Can it with that passive-aggressive crap, Hawking/slopehead, this Optimus V multi-vendor-screen-recovery-bricking junk didn't exist back when I was rooting these. The gentleman asking about rooting the phone can see right in the OP all the warnings about bricking when rooting. The onus is on him to read up on the current stuff. It's nice of you to give him the heads-up, but you can't honestly imply I'm being an rear end in a top hat by not looking up all the recent developments and writing a full guide for him. I already did one for the drat Exhibit since you asked me to, but I'm not making this my full time job when there's Google. Jesus.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Oh calm down.

My entire point is that if you're going to dispense with suggestions at least have the courtesy to do a cursory check that you information isn't completely out of date and that you bring attention to any potential damaging issues.

You're really bad at doing that and I'm bringing it to your attention. I've done so in the past and will continue to do so in the future as long as you insist on advising people who may not know any better, or lack experience in delving through the myriad back alleys of the internet to puzzle out a loving phone OS.

People come to us with the presumption that they'll get quality advice and/or feedback. If you're incapable of handling a little critique which will bring your advice from "somewhat reliable" to "generally reliable" then I suggest you stop dispensing advice, or accept the critique with the minimum recommended daily dosage of butthurt possible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Butthurt? He asked for a good OV rom, and I recommended Quattrimus which I have experience with.

"Root and install Clockwork Recovery, and make drat sure you do a full backup of the phone. I installed Quattrimus for my boss and he likes it, but I don't even remember what build that was. Caveat emptor."

So because I used the word root, *I'm* now responsible for doing cursory checks to see if any recent hardware changes can cause a brick? If it's so cursory, he can stumble upon it himself when he Googles. If it's not so cursory, what portent is supposed to tingle my spidey-sense when LG changes LCD vendors? Just admit you're busting my balls. Worry less about me and more about your own rap sheet, it speaks volumes.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
You're completely missing the point, yet again.

Let me put it to you this way. Your information was/is out of date. You had no idea about the issues associated with rooting said device and I'd be willing to wager you have no idea what issues are inherent in the Quattrimus rom, since I sincerely doubt you spent more than ten minutes configuring it quite some time ago. The screen vendor issue has been around for well over eight months, so who knows what else you've missed?

Yes I am busting your balls because your information is severely lacking in detail which could cause someone to accidentally soft brick their device. All I'm asking you is to be mindful in the future and be as complete as possible when dispensing advice to anyone concerning roms or rooting. If that means spending a few minutes fact checking what you're telling someone who might not know better, then yes it is on you to do so.

Expecting other people who are new to this to have the inherent knowledge that you do from a year plus of rooting devices is illogical and irresponsible. Not everyone has the ability to claim that they've rooted/rommed tens of dozens of devices as you have in the past. They're not going to know how to always configure ADB, or have any loving clue how to parse the cesspool that is XDA/rootzwiki/androidpolice for pertinent information.

Literally all I'm asking you to do is make sure you are maximizing the amount of information you give people when spewing out the word salad you call advice. If you can do that we're cool but until that yes, I am going to bust your balls because this is the SA Forums and we are a Higher Class of Goonlord(tm).

I just said it but I'll say it again. People come into these threads asking for advice and information on the presumption that people dispensing it are actually up to date. If you're incapable of spending the few minutes to make sure you're on top of things then you do not need to be telling people what they should be doing.

I hope we're clear this time?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 27, 2012

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Guys... guys. Calm down. Remember that we're part of THE DARK SIDE NOW. "Root is the path to the dark side. Root leads to bricked phones. Bricked phones leads to void warranty. Void warranty leads to suffering."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I put Quat on my bosses phone months ago, we both work in IT and if there were issues I'd have heard about it. I leant him a Note I snagged from eBay with CM10 and he caught the subtle graphical flickering and call echoes immediately. Still, he's old and this is his first smartphone so without hearing any issues from him I can say it's the most wife-safe custom Rom as you're going to get on an OV, and yes I've tried many others; it was my first smartphone too.

Anyway, this is the rooting thread for big boys and if the OP warnings and newbies' due diligence aren't enough, your expectations are unreasonable. I'm running around at work posting from my phone half the time and still manage to be pretty helpful, if I do say so myself.

How about you can swoop in to amplify all my posts as you see fit, and I just ignore you because you're so drat good at enraging me. Deal? Great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Guys... guys. Calm down. Remember that we're part of THE DARK SIDE NOW. "Root is the path to the dark side. Root leads to bricked phones. Bricked phones leads to void warranty. Void warranty leads to suffering."

This is fitting because I flashed the DARK SIDE ROM to my SGSII and that was like the express bus to suffering.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

So I just did the OTA update to Jellybean and it seems to have wiped out my root. Can I get root back without wiping my device or do I have to go through that again? I don't have time for this :(

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ It depends on the device but typically, yeah when you do an OTA you wipe out root and don't always have an immediately available option to re-root. The rule of thumb is wait a day or two for a pre-rooted rom and flash it yourself.

Zero VGS posted:

How about you can swoop in to amplify all my posts as you see fit, and I just ignore you because you're so drat good at enraging me. Deal? Great.

You know what? That might actually be a good idea. I'm sorry for pissing you off so badly, but hey if you check my profile it's part of my job description. :v:

Edit: To be absolutely clear in the event you have gotten the wrong idea:

I really do value your input. You keep an eye on devices I don't have the time or interest in staying on top of. The OV, the Exhibit, the SGS2-Tmob, and others. You're a good poster much of the time and I value your input. Please don't take my busting your balls in the wrong way. I do it because I care, just as I give LastInLine poo poo about him posting constantly but glossing over important stuff sometimes. This is one of the best, if not the best Android community out there in the sense that we're great about staying on top of the bullshit that "the normals", "the casuals", and the "non-goonlords" have not the time or interest in trolling through. I just want everyone to have the best quality in feedback and advice.

\/\/ AFAIK since it's a developer device you can get root back via ADB but it might wipe your device.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah I should have mentioned I'm on a GNex in Canada. I got the update a week or two ago now, I don't exactly remember.