Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Don't forget the bonus track.

e:

Amman RaTY

Croccers fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I think I'm ok with the 'downhill' type of racer having ~8 tracks if they're feature-packed and detailed (SSX '12, which I got recently seems to have a fuckton of unique tracks, it's a tad overwhelming), but when it comes to lap-racing games, Mario Kart has spoiled me with it's minimum of 16 (specifically, 4 'cups' of 4 tracks).

I've been pretty lukewarm to Splashdown, really. Not because you did a bad job or anything, it just didn't feel... zesty enough. Near the end they started to get more outlandish with the Venice and Amazon tracks, but at the same time those tracks weren't very well thought out.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
I'm assuming the reason that glitch happened is the way the laps work are a series of line crosses instead of one line doing all the actions and you skipped the right ones to make the AI restart the third lap, so the game thought they were way behind, including the guy you barely beat.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Amman Ra being a Daler Mehndi reference sure was out there. I wonder how many people would have gotten it back in 2001/02.

Also, you can't bring up Brink without mentioning soul skating. Just that term alone paints what kind of movies those Disney Channel originals were.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Major_JF posted:

I like that after awhile all you had to do to advance was show up.

That started on, like, the third or fourth track. I never tried getting first repeatedly then seeing how long I could just come in fifth place. On Hard mode, you basically need to come in at least second or third constantly, each race.

Six Of Spades posted:

I think I'm ok with the 'downhill' type of racer having ~8 tracks if they're feature-packed and detailed (SSX '12, which I got recently seems to have a fuckton of unique tracks, it's a tad overwhelming), but when it comes to lap-racing games, Mario Kart has spoiled me with it's minimum of 16 (specifically, 4 'cups' of 4 tracks).

Yeah, at our friend Grant's house, he has Mario Kart Double Dash which we play sometimes, and every track is so different that I wish there were more in that game. Splashdown doesn't have enough variety - then again, it's tougher to add variety to a water-racing game than a land-racing game.

Chemical Bastard posted:

I'm assuming the reason that glitch happened is the way the laps work are a series of line crosses instead of one line doing all the actions and you skipped the right ones to make the AI restart the third lap, so the game thought they were way behind, including the guy you barely beat.

So if I had not finished the lap, and let them all go past me, they would have gone all the way back around again? I could have sat there for two minutes and still have won?

Whaaaaat?

Insetik fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 21, 2012

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
All this jet-skiing got me to play the world's most bland jet-ski game ever. Thanks a lot for wasting my time!

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
^^^
I'll watch that video in a bit, I only got to skim it for now. I saw some land racing and some weird attempts at resetting you, so I'm looking forward to it.

So in tandem with Splashdown, here's the final level of JetX20.

JetX20 Level 8: Metronox
Music - Break The Code

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was going to snark about Rainbow Road turning into a giant ribbon of water like in Galaxy, and then comes Metronox and its actual suspended pools of water.

Those last two levels are only available on the hardest difficulty, right? They're definitely the most thematically out there.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

I was going to snark about Rainbow Road turning into a giant ribbon of water like in Galaxy, and then comes Metronox and its actual suspended pools of water.

Those last two levels are only available on the hardest difficulty, right? They're definitely the most thematically out there.

Well, they require you to get through Amateur and Pro mode. You can then technically play them in single event, but if you continued career mode fully through, you would only do those 2 as the last two events of career.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

TapamN posted:

All this jet-skiing got me to play the world's most bland jet-ski game ever. Thanks a lot for wasting my time!

Am I the only one who thought that every Dreamcast game looked like it was running on the exact same engine? Or maybe it's just that this game samples a lot of the exact same sound effects as Sonic Adventure. And yeah, that looks bland as all hell.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Bonus video for JetX20 now. I've been complaining about the water currents for 8 videos now, so let's see what the game is like when toned down. Also showing the other characters.

JetX20 Bonus Video

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

blanktester posted:

Am I the only one who thought that every Dreamcast game looked like it was running on the exact same engine? Or maybe it's just that this game samples a lot of the exact same sound effects as Sonic Adventure. And yeah, that looks bland as all hell.

I'm guessing that a lot of arcade games are purposefully bright and colorful in order to attract attention, and the Dreamcast was at least 50% arcade ports.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Digging through my old PS2 games I found Surfing H3O. I am not quite sure how it got there I know I never played it...

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
This thread made me think of Aggressive Inline back when I found the thread around the end of Freekstyle. I remember the game being awesome, and HUGE, and I need to track a copy down on Amazon.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

PSWII60 posted:

This thread made me think of Aggressive Inline back when I found the thread around the end of Freekstyle. I remember the game being awesome, and HUGE, and I need to track a copy down on Amazon.

Yes, Aggressive Inline is pretty massive, with a whole lot of challenges per level. I won't spoil it for anyone (even though I'll bring it up in the first video) but every level will need at least two videos, but they won't be released one after another.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
A bit late, but zarx264 crapped out on me a bit, so I have to use the mkv option. I think .mkv is the same quality, but if this video looks worse than the others, I'll hold off on Aggressive Inline until I can get zarx264 fixed. If it looks the same, I'll just keep going on schedule. If I really need to watch my own vids in WMP, I have the 3 gig uncompressed files :D

Splashdown Bonus Video

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ovues posted:

Splashdown Bonus Video

Every time I see that ending I die a little inside. Again and again.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Aaaaand now it's time to play a game that other people might have actually played! This means that if you have an experience you want to share, want to tell me the correct way of doing some challenge or getting to some place, or want to tell me about anything else related to the game (glitches, where the yellow juiceboxes are) then go ahead!

:siren:(Roller)skate or die! Let's Play Aggressive Inline:siren:

What is this game?
Aggressive Inline is an extreme inline skating game published in 2002 by Acclaim. Of course it rips off the early Tony Hawk games.

How are you doing this LP?
Career mode, through the 7 areas, once to get to the end and then I’ll go on the ‘key hunt’ to unlock the other halves of each level.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is it?
Some of the levels don’t really work well with the gameplay, and some of the challenges are obtuse and confusing. However, I like that the game doesn’t have a time limit, but rather a ‘juice bar’ that depletes on its own but you fill up by tricking. I think this game did that before the Tony Hawk games. There is a lot of options in tricking, especially with the vaults/pole swings, but as said before, the game can become clunky if you reach a cluttered area. Also, the music choice is, as usual, early 2000s radio rock. It’s still fun when it works, so I’ll give it a 7.

Level 1: Movie Lot

Insetik fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 29, 2012

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I unironically enjoyed Aggressive Inline. Sure, it was clunky, but the ambition that the game had plus the replayability sold me on it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

TubeStank posted:

I unironically enjoyed Aggressive Inline. Sure, it was clunky, but the ambition that the game had plus the replayability sold me on it.

I haven't actually seen the second part of any level (I'm worried if I go too far ahead I'll forget how to do all the stuff I'd have to do in the levels I haven't recorded yet) but the levels are already big, as I said in the video. I'm looking forward to seeing what the keys to each level unlock.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Obligatory doubleshot to start this new game off! So after the Movie Lot is the Civic Center. It's so big I'll put it in two videos. I'll try my best to keep the videos at max 18-20 minutes. I don't really like watching 30 or 40 minute videos, and I think the later Splashdown videos went to 20-25 mins just because there was nowhere I could really cut. So some levels might be in two parts.

Level 2: Civic Center: Part 1

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
This game is more in-depth than I thought it was going to be. Sure some of it looks stiff, but the levels are large with a lot to them. I was just expecting a THPS clone with rollerblades and half of the content missing.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Mr. Highway posted:

This game is more in-depth than I thought it was going to be. Sure some of it looks stiff, but the levels are large with a lot to them. I was just expecting a THPS clone with rollerblades and half of the content missing.

The levels really do go above and beyond what they could have been. Many other Tony Hawk 'ripoff' games copy the level format of "small spaces with everything laid out for you" as well (Matt Hoffman BMX for example, from the videos I watched). Of course, with the levels getting bigger, the challenges get more out of the way and tougher to really 'get'. Playing Tony Hawk, there's a nice simplicity in collecting SKATE when you can see all the letters floating around and can see easy-to-find but tough-to-execute ways to get them. Aggressive Inline ends up going the other way, with the goals tough to find and the clunky game giving you more trouble than the actual goal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Clearly what's actually happening at the civic center is a massive insurance fraud. The city fathers picked up skater insurance for cheapsies and it's time to spruce up the place.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I just noticed this from the first Aggressive inline video, we can now add Ghosts to the growing list of paranormal phenomenon represented in these games.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Tombot posted:

I just noticed this from the first Aggressive inline video, we can now add Ghosts to the growing list of paranormal phenomenon represented in these games.

Where are the ghosts?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Theres some floating around the set after he did that thing with the tree. Plus other ghostly things in general.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Loxbourne posted:

Where are the ghosts?

In the graveyard part of the movie lot, there's a ghost floating around in a circle. I guess you didn't get to see it that well in the video, since I was heading straight to the challenge.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
I love that stupid little shimmy your character does when he's idle.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

DFlux posted:

I love that stupid little shimmy your character does when he's idle.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

I like that too, especially after he causes massive destruction around him. Then it seems so odd but so funny that he shuffles after doing it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Speaking of massive destruction, if you thought what we did in part 1 was bad, ooooh boy...

Aggressive Inline Level 2: Civic Center Part 2

Text Link

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I know the horn part to Sell Out, back when me and some high school friends were in a (sad excuse for a) ska punk band. I wasn't thinking about inline skating when we played it, but I think I will from now on.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Rather Watch Them posted:

I know the horn part to Sell Out, back when me and some high school friends were in a (sad excuse for a) ska punk band. I wasn't thinking about inline skating when we played it, but I think I will from now on.

...when you play it?

Augh, I really wish I had prizes to give because I keep coming up with terrible awesome contests I could run. Like finding an actually cool and exciting inline skating montage. Seriously, is it just me, or does inline skating look really weak? It's 2012, skateboarding and such are up to doing triple-flip-1440-spin-octuple-kickflips and inline skating is up to, I dunno, backflips. Then again, freestyle scootering has literally gone nowhere, which is a shame. Just think about how cool it would be if scootering(?) was an X-games event that used the massive halfpipes and ramps. Or how stupid it would be.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

I think the fundamental problem with inline skating is that the thing you're using to get around is physically attached to you. It limits the things you can do, and you can never get "relaxed" or your feet are going to roll out from under you.

Also I imagine that the flexibility of a skateboard gives you some amount of shock absorption that isn't possible with inlines skates. I don't know anything about skating besides Tony Hawk games and youtube videos so this could all be horribly wrong.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 3, 2012

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

microwave casserole posted:

I think the fundamental problem with inline skating is that the thing you're using to get around is physically attached to you. It limits the things you can do, and you can never get "relaxed" or your feet are going to roll out from under you.

Also I imagine that the flexibility of a skateboard gives you some amount of shock absorption that isn't possible with inlines skates. I don't know anything about skating besides Tony Hawk games and youtube videos so this could all be horribly wrong.

Being attached to whatever you're riding on isn't necessarily a con, look at snowboarding.
And the shock absorber for the skateboard is you, much like inline skates, but you've not got your ankles for shock absorption with skates, as your ankles are supported and encased in the skate rather than free to bounce about and snap with a skateboard.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I guess I was a little mean there. I'm just a vert kind of guy, and there doesn't seem to be many cool videos of that for inline skating. Anyways, I'm doing another quick update now because then I can basically do a vid every 2 days for a bit and have the time to upload at a decent hour. If you really prefer me being all serious and thoughtful about the game, I talk about the level a lot here and give my thoughts more because this level is bad and I want to tell you why it's bad.

Aggressive Inline Level 3: Industrial

Text Link

If you're worried, the game picks up from here. The fourth and fifth levels are really fun, and the sixth, while ok, has some stupid-amazing cutscenes that you'll want to see. Haven't played the seventh, but I'll do that soon.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
One thing I've noticed in this game as opposed to THPS is the levels are just so loving busy. There are some really cool setpieces and tricky stuff, but there's also just a lot of noise.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

There is barely any sort of lighting in these levels, making everything look flat and busy. Even the PS1 Tony Hawks had some simple vertex lighting painted on.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

microwave casserole posted:

There is barely any sort of lighting in these levels, making everything look flat and busy. Even the PS1 Tony Hawks had some simple vertex lighting painted on.

lighting in games has really come so far in the last decade... but yeah, it doesn't seem like there's any lighting at all in these stages, dynamic or static. It just seems like everything is there and there's way too much going on at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can understand how it's hard to follow a 90-degree line. When you're rail sliding the perpendicular axis very seldom enters into things. How long did it take games in general to learn that lesson, or is it a mistake that's getting made even today?

• Locked thread