Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

what is this posted:

lol you uploaded your wallet.dat file

You are too dumb to run a company. Sorry man. The truth hurts.

...SOOO dumb because I don't have any money on it...

For all I know maybe you know how to crack the wallet file to add money to it. I don't know... I have no reason not to give you my wallet.dat file.

You told me to upload it... didn't take me long to figure out that file is not supposed to be shared. Not like it matters SINCE THERE IS NOTHING ON IT! I already removed the program. So... whatever man.

That is like telling someone that has never played soccer before to score a goal on their own team. Obviously that person is going to do it, until later teammates tell him he is an idiot... In reality... just new to stuff.

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ian McLean posted:

...SOOO dumb because I don't have any money on it...

For all I know maybe you know how to crack the wallet file to add money to it. I don't know... I have no reason not to give you my wallet.dat file.

You told me to upload it... didn't take me long to figure out that file is not supposed to be shared. Not like it matters SINCE THERE IS NOTHING ON IT! I already removed the program. So... whatever man.

lollin

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
holy poo poo

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Ian McLean posted:

That is like telling someone that has never played soccer before to score a goal on their own team. Obviously that person is going to do it, until later teammates tell him he is an idiot... In reality... just new to stuff.

yeaaah

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ok i honestly can't imagine how insulated you'd have to be to not understand what polling is

you know all those maps with red and blue states? they come from people looking at poll results and predicting how states would vote in the election. poll results have 'crosstabs' that show the demographic breakdown of responses to questions. people are taking the poll results and applying the demographic turnouts from previous elections to predict how the state's electoral votes would happen

your STAT website could take the poll STATS and the previous election STATS and let people combine them and produce an electoral map that they could take a picture of to post on their blogs or emails or whatnot

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
wow we just turned the crazy up to 11 while i was typing didnt we

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

JawnV6 posted:

wow we just turned the crazy up to 11 while i was typing didnt we

jawn

you're falling for it

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

jawn! no! JAWN PULL UP! JAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNN!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

perhaps you should have checked this out first though, maybe figure out if something called "wallet.dat" is supposed to be shared publicly on the internet, especially when the whole drat forum has been making fun of you

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Thanks for more info Jawn. Didn't need the insulting remark in the beginning. I know what polling is...

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Sagebrush posted:

perhaps you should have checked this out first though, maybe figure out if something called "wallet.dat" is supposed to be shared publicly on the internet, especially when the whole drat forum has been making fun of you

once again... it DOESN'T MATTER!

Who is really the one of questionable intelligence.. the person that keeps going on about something that doesn't matter, or the person that did the action that doesn't matter.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ian McLean posted:

once again... it DOESN'T MATTER!

Who is really the one of questionable intelligence.. the person that keeps going on about something that doesn't matter, or the person that did the action that doesn't matter.

its u

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

Didn't need the insulting remark in the beginning

yeah you did

you couldn't manage to go from "polling" to "the thing my website specializes in"

this is literally your only role in this project

and somehow, beyond all expectation, you're managing to be an inept "idea guy"

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

yeah you did

you couldn't manage to go from "polling" to "the thing my website specializes in"

this is literally your only role in this project

and somehow, beyond all expectation, you're managing to be an inept "idea guy"

... asking for additional clarification of how you would like to see things just makes me so inept...

Here is an idea for you... outsourcing ideas into a jaded forum to see what they say.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

im jaded. im literally made of jade. even my dilz

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it's a time sensitive idea requiring a complex implementation and given your lethargic approach and dearth of talent there's no way you'll actually be able to build it while it'd be relevant

so gj on the outsourcing

can we provide any more disappointing visions of what statpedia could've been with a competent visionary at the helm?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

can we provide any more disappointing visions of what statpedia could've been with a competent visionary at the helm?

a man with a hose running from his anus to a gasmask on his own face

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I'll pledge $20 if Ian posts a video of this and him making GBS threads into it

It has to go into the hose

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

it's a time sensitive idea requiring a complex implementation and given your lethargic approach and dearth of talent there's no way you'll actually be able to build it while it'd be relevant

so gj on the outsourcing

My server is not even able to handle much traffic at the momen. We can't just shift our entire focus because you say we NEED POLLING OPTIONS BEFORE ELECTION ZOMG.

I have already assigned polling exploration to come after beta release. I can show you pages and pages of wireframes on polling. Would I like to capture the the entire polling market at this exact moment... yes; however something as what you describe isn't something I can just pull off overnight. Will take your ideas into consideration for the project, yes. Anything that would be released for polls would probably have bugs, and not only that, but it would attract attention to statpedia that is unwanted at the moment. I would rather show people a nice product, than rush things because ELECTIONS HAVE POLLZZZZZZ~!

There are lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of polls. Elections.... yes a large poll, but all the same it will be ready when it is ready.

Dude... you act like the whole statpedia team should just drop everything they are doing and cater to making your polls. Seriously man...

Have you seen this? https://github.com/petewarden/openheatmap/wiki pretty cool project with like 8 gigs of code.

IF ONLY I CAN JUST MAKE A NEW SOCIAL NETWORKING APPLICATION IT WILL ATTRACT EVERYONE ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE A NOOB IF YOU DON"T MAKE IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!! seriously man...

can you provide me with more visions:? OF COURSE! :) Please send me the entire workflow of wireframes for everything you are talking about with the plugin ready to go. If it is so cool how come you aren't coding it? Then you can just give me the link, and I will submit it into statpedia! :)

Anyways, feel free to send wireframes to ian@statpeida.com Otherwise I will continue thinking about polls that can be applied to anything, and include your thoughts in my visionary vision!

If only I had some bitcoins right now for those visions you speak of....

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
ian you never answered my question. what is your background and how are you prepared for cs grad school?

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Proteus4994 posted:

ian you never answered my question. what is your background and how are you prepared for cs grad school?

Because I can do anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

Because I can do anything.

that sentence fragment is not an answer to either of his two questions

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

a shameful man

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Going to start by saying gently caress you for making my first post in yospos a serious post.

The reason jawn is telling you to do election polls is because presidential elections are huge. Almost 70% of voters actually bother to vote and maybe 10% of them give a poo poo enough to be informed. This is literally the only poll people give the slightest poo poo about. It could actually get you traffic to your site.

Your kickstarter will fail because your rewards are poo poo and your idea isn't worth investing in. People will not give you money if they don't think they are getting the better deal and you aren't offering that. No one here is going to help you because they are being paid the same(nothing) if they help or not and watching your idea fail is funnier. If you want this to work, you will need to do it on your own dime and fill it up with a bunch of crap on your own. I don't see the market for a free wikipedia style statistic site but whatever.

I do admire that you either really want this to work or really want other people's money. now I need to make up for the crap post, get out, kill myself, etc etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lazy Programming posted:

Going to start by saying gently caress you for making my first post in yospos a serious post.

that's not really his fault man

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
ian owns

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Sagebrush posted:

that's not really his fault man

you're right, sorry ian, was harsh of me

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Sagebrush posted:

that sentence fragment is not an answer to either of his two questions

I audited a bunch of compsci classes last quarter which helped. I have taken programming courses in the past. I have been working day in and day out on statpedia.

Would I like to learn some more of the formalities in coding standards? Yes.

Dude. I am like Jeff Dean when it comes to P/NP proplems. I am going to eat those things alive.

I have never failed a course in my entire life.

If any of you recommend some quality material, that is chill.

I am that type of person that can be thrown into any type of environment, and still come out alive. :)

I actually sent Jeff Dean an email once, and here is what he said:

Dear Jeff,

I am honestly not expecting a response because I am sure you are a busy man. I admire the reputation you have acquired, and I want to obtain the skills you have and follow in your footsteps.

Here are my questions as follows:

1. What do you consider to be the most valuable skills and attributes to have as a programmer, and what do you personally strive to do yourself on a regular basis?

2. If there is some type of structure or schedule I can establish within my own lifestyle to dedicate my time, what would my daily, weekly and monthly routine look like to become as great as you? (specifically relating to programming)

3. Is there any self disciplined method you do to maintain and test performance benchmarks or achievments?

Like you, I have also done a substantial amount of traveling. At this point I am completely content being fully emersed in code. If you were to tell me: spend 1 hour a day learning/coding in Python or C++ through tutorial abc, 2 hours a day reading and doing such and such, and x amount of hours spent doing y for z days, I will do whatever you say.

If you had an apprentice program I would sign up in a heartbeat. I would give you total commitment like a navy seal for programming.

Hope you are doing well.

Sincerely,

Ian McLean

Hi Ian,

(1) I think being able to quickly visualize many alternative ways of solving a particular problem, and to quickly evaluate the tradeoffs involved in each of them, is pretty important for building good software systems. I gave a talk in a class at Stanford a few years ago that has some advice about being able to do this effectively:

http://research.google.com/people/jeff/stanford-295-talk.pdf

(2) Two important things for becoming a better programmer are to practice, and to also spend time reading other people's well-written code. There are a number of open source programs, packages, libraries, etc. that you can look at these days that exemplify good programming practices, and actually reading this code in detail is a great way to see how other people solve particular programming problems.

(3) We have an in-house set of libraries here at Google that I helped develop that make it easy to write various microbenchmarks and measure their performance. It's nothing too sophisticated: the framework just takes care of timing the actual benchmark, subtracting off loop overhead, running short loops for more iterations, etc.

I'm afraid I don't have an apprentice program :). I'm not sure what your current status is (student, etc.), but various internship programs are available with a wide variety of companies, depending on your skills and qualifications.

Regards,
-Jeff

I really like that this group is straight forward, and gets directly to the point. Just wish there wasn't so much negativity all the time. <3

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

mods namechange posted:

yo Ian here's a tip you might want to look into blocking all <script> tags and related things like onclick attributes etc, maybe also <style> tags and so on as well. have them filtered out on the server side after the form has been submitted so it's not easy to bypass

it will make your wiki much less fun to vandalise than it currently is

thanks and god bless
hey also blocking <iframe> and <frame> tags might be a good idea too

and you should probably avoid using statpedia on a samsung galaxy phone until this has been fixed :laugh:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wy do you even need 20 grand (or 200 grand lmbo) for your site? Work on it for awhile, develop your skills in cs, make a functional product with actual content (in this phase, it doesn't even matter if its real data, just anything will do) and then shop it around.
People on kickstarter fall into three groups: people with drive and skills to finish a directed project and are hampered by material means, people with drive and a directed project but who are lacking in some crucial area that will prevent their project from ever seeing the light of day, and arrogant "ideas people" who think that their limited skills are enough to push through some half-baked fever dream of a project and who think money is they key to making up for a dearth of skills and/or motivation. You are currently sitting in the third category, which you ignominiously share with that cracked out lottery winner who wanted to make an mmo, but with polygamy and furry bullshit and something about "player control". You fail to see why no one wants to send a single dollar (well, I guess one guy did) to support you, instead posting crazy bipolar (no seriously get back on your meds) rants about your "vision" on a forum full of people who are quite rightfully making GBS threads on you.
If you really think statpedia is a thing people want or need, go do it. I personally think it's a solution in search of a problem, otherwise someone would be doing it already. I think your ego and lack of experience prevents you from finding out whether or not people would use this in the real world because you're not too keen on finding out you were wrong all along. Either way, this has the semblance of a project someone would develop throughout schooling, where you apply ideas learned in classes and work towards the project and, in turn, seek out new avenues of learning ideas you can apply towards it.
In some labyrinthine way, you are actually continuing to seek help here, which is why i bothered to type this up. This is the nicest breakdown of your situation anyone here will give you; if you continue to be a petulant infant about why no one is funding you, I will be the first to mock you. Run immediately back to your hugbox (which is a pretty lovely one because no one it seems to be funding you) and stay there.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Ian McLean posted:

I audited a bunch of compsci classes last quarter which helped. I have taken programming courses in the past.

holy poo poo i have friends who went to uci, you're going to be eaten alive lol

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

i mean like seriously you don't know anything about algorithmic complexity or formal language theory or programming language concepts or systems architecture or networking or really anything that's going to be important in grad school. cs101 and some php scripting and sitting in on a couple of classes isn't even close. you're going to be in for a world of poo poo

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Okay Naysayers.

Thanks for all your input. Still too much negativity.

I am going back to creating beautiful internet, and focusing on other important pieces.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Ian McLean posted:

I am going back to creating beautiful internet
oh so you're supporting Internet Explorer after all? :shaggar: :buddy:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
put ur idea on a treadmill and see if it takes off

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Proteus4994 posted:

i mean like seriously you don't know anything about algorithmic complexity or formal language theory or programming language concepts or systems architecture or networking or really anything that's going to be important in grad school. cs101 and some php scripting and sitting in on a couple of classes isn't even close. you're going to be in for a world of poo poo

no didnt you hear he eats p/np for breakfast

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
i guess this forum really is...

something awful

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Shinx posted:

put ur idea on a treadmill and see if it takes off

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
honestly stopped reading after "i can show you pages and pages of wireframes"

like a wireframe is a loving deliverable, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

I audited a bunch of compsci classes last quarter which helped. I have taken programming courses in the past. I have been working day in and day out on statpedia.

Would I like to learn some more of the formalities in coding standards? Yes.

Dude. I am like Jeff Dean when it comes to P/NP proplems. I am going to eat those things alive.

I have never failed a course in my entire life.

If any of you recommend some quality material, that is chill.

I am that type of person that can be thrown into any type of environment, and still come out alive. :)

I actually sent Jeff Dean an email once, and here is what he said:

Dear Jeff,

I am honestly not expecting a response because I am sure you are a busy man. I admire the reputation you have acquired, and I want to obtain the skills you have and follow in your footsteps.

Here are my questions as follows:

1. What do you consider to be the most valuable skills and attributes to have as a programmer, and what do you personally strive to do yourself on a regular basis?

2. If there is some type of structure or schedule I can establish within my own lifestyle to dedicate my time, what would my daily, weekly and monthly routine look like to become as great as you? (specifically relating to programming)

3. Is there any self disciplined method you do to maintain and test performance benchmarks or achievments?

Like you, I have also done a substantial amount of traveling. At this point I am completely content being fully emersed in code. If you were to tell me: spend 1 hour a day learning/coding in Python or C++ through tutorial abc, 2 hours a day reading and doing such and such, and x amount of hours spent doing y for z days, I will do whatever you say.

If you had an apprentice program I would sign up in a heartbeat. I would give you total commitment like a navy seal for programming.

Hope you are doing well.

Sincerely,

Ian McLean

Hi Ian,

(1) I think being able to quickly visualize many alternative ways of solving a particular problem, and to quickly evaluate the tradeoffs involved in each of them, is pretty important for building good software systems. I gave a talk in a class at Stanford a few years ago that has some advice about being able to do this effectively:

http://research.google.com/people/jeff/stanford-295-talk.pdf

(2) Two important things for becoming a better programmer are to practice, and to also spend time reading other people's well-written code. There are a number of open source programs, packages, libraries, etc. that you can look at these days that exemplify good programming practices, and actually reading this code in detail is a great way to see how other people solve particular programming problems.

(3) We have an in-house set of libraries here at Google that I helped develop that make it easy to write various microbenchmarks and measure their performance. It's nothing too sophisticated: the framework just takes care of timing the actual benchmark, subtracting off loop overhead, running short loops for more iterations, etc.

I'm afraid I don't have an apprentice program :). I'm not sure what your current status is (student, etc.), but various internship programs are available with a wide variety of companies, depending on your skills and qualifications.

Regards,
-Jeff

I really like that this group is straight forward, and gets directly to the point. Just wish there wasn't so much negativity all the time. <3

dunning_kruger.txt

• Locked thread