Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misplaced Yankee
Jan 29, 2009

psychoticmeow posted:

^^^ At least the Honda doesn't have loving buck-teeth...

Can you guess how much a 1987 Fiero with 73k miles on it would cost in Australia?

How does $13,800 sound? Before tax?

At least it's right hand drive...

But it has an optional ECU chip...... And stock 140 Hp. drat, I should've exported my 86 with 87k to Australia. I don't know how with only a four speed transmission you can fix the dog that was my motor with a three speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's just the nature of cars that weren't available in any given market, especially when LHD-RHD conversions are involved.

In NZ any old cruddy 90s Camaro or Mustang will sell for massively inflated prices just due to rarity

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
That van goes in the awesome car stuff thread.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cage posted:

I bet you that after parking that truck, no less than 5 minutes will go by before a party starts. Im pretty sure thats the TMNT party wagon with a new paint job.

Thank you for sending me to google to search for just such a party van. Maybe Boomerjinks has a contact to sell me one.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

dissss posted:

That's just the nature of cars that weren't available in any given market, especially when LHD-RHD conversions are involved.

In NZ any old cruddy 90s Camaro or Mustang will sell for massively inflated prices just due to rarity

There are plenty of those here for peanuts. Business opportunity?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

You wouldn't be able to get most of them on the road legally due to various safety and emissions requirements for imported cars.

There are exemptions for limited edition models, but you'd need something fairly special to meet the criteria and possibly still be required to do a RHD conversion.

Think of it this way, its as hard to get a 90s American market car street legal here as it is to get a 90s Japanese market car street legal in the USA.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

DefaultPeanut posted:

A good example of the market is the F250, which have at times been sold here, and are also imported. Have a look at whats for sale
http://www.carsales.com.au/car/bran...ice:Min,Max~0.5
If i'm correct, even the most decked out F250 doesn't sell for $60k USD new, (and keep in mind that 1 AUD = 1 USD), the market difference seems pretty steep.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...ck&sort=default

Stuff like this is common too, a 2007 Shelby Stang going for six figures, most other new muscle cars like the Camaro/Challengers go for 80K and up, here's a 2011 GT for 95K http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...ck&sort=default pretty steep after importation and conversion fees.

dissss posted:

Think of it this way, its as hard to get a 90s American market car street legal here as it is to get a 90s Japanese market car street legal in the USA.

At least it's actually possible :v:

Bobby_Wokkerfella fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 26, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just look at that build quality

A halfassed RHD conversion does nothing to improve 1990s US GM interiors

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

dissss posted:

Just look at that build quality

A halfassed RHD conversion does nothing to improve 1990s US GM interiors

By half-assed, you mean because they didn't do anything to the center console? I like the swingout cupholder position

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DefaultPeanut posted:

The first gen Mustang market is huge in Australia. I knew a dude who made a fair amount of coin importing Mustangs from the US and just selling them on without even needing to do conversion work (most Australian states allow LHD vehicles 25 years and older) for a good amount of money. There are plenty of baby boomers who still want one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If I had the free capital, I'd have a crack at doing the same thing for coil-sprung Land Rovers to the US.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
The weather here was not nice to first gen Mustangs here but some good ones do still exist. Might have to look into this a bit more this spring.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

If i'm correct, even the most decked out F250 doesn't sell for $60k USD new, (and keep in mind that 1 AUD = 1 USD), the market difference seems pretty steep.

Wanna put :10bux: on that? :v:

Here's the build sheet.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 26, 2012

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

The Jabberwocky posted:

Not the worst thing that's been posted to be sure, but I just can't stop thinking about how much money this guy spent on his Aztec. His lovingly cared for Aztec.

Out of everything, its the lone shovel in the roof rack that really bugs me. No other tools, just a shovel. In case, what, he has to dig a quick hole? Who are you trying to kid, buddy? At least throw a pick or a mattock up there, at least try to sell me on your little Aztec Adventures Playset.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

That's incredible. And that's a 5 year loan? Holy poo poo. It's 1.5x my mortgage.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Minarch posted:

Out of everything, its the lone shovel in the roof rack that really bugs me. No other tools, just a shovel. In case, what, he has to dig a quick hole? Who are you trying to kid, buddy? At least throw a pick or a mattock up there, at least try to sell me on your little Aztec Adventures Playset.

Well, the guy was wearing camo pants, so I'm pretty sure he was prepared for pretty much anything :c00lbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

That's incredible. And that's a 5 year loan? Holy poo poo. It's 1.5x my mortgage.

6 year. With a pretty healthy down payment, and of course, that's with spotless credit.

Admittedly, I think the King Ranch may be a Texas-only version. It's basically every luxury option possible rolled up into one package, with a fuckload of fake chrome on top.

Also I'm incredibly jealous of your mortgage payment. My last apartment (600 sq ft 1 bed/1 bath, built in 1984 - fireplace, full size w/d included, microwave, new appliances, etc) in a decent, but not awesome, area, was closer to $700/month. No utilities included. Need a roommate?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 27, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus H Christ. All of our expenses for our home rent and all utilities don't even cost that much.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

King Ranch models are literally everywhere in Alberta.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

Admittedly, I think the King Ranch may be a Texas-only version.

It's not.
Edit: Point proven :P

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Minarch posted:

A shovel can come in handy if you off-road. He's got enough running gear on there to almost pull off the look of someone who takes that thing off the pavement...but he's not going very far on those tires. Illusion shattered.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The only truck I see more of in AZ than King Ranches are Raptors. For a specialty vehicle I'm surprised at how common they are here.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The only truck I see more of in AZ than King Ranches are Raptors. For a specialty vehicle I'm surprised at how common they are here.

Same goes for Calgary. You wouldn't believe how many guys drive and park Raptors downtown. My Dad has one and it's so wide that I felt nervous driving the thing on a two-lane highway. I couldn't imagine having one as my daily.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Taking hard parking to a whole new level.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

How about a 2004 Extended cab with 56 thousand kms for the same price? :v:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

Jesus H Christ. All of our expenses for our home rent and all utilities don't even cost that much.

I wish I had that luxury. My 3 bed,2.5 bath located in the boonies and that monthly is my mortgage without insurance or tax.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
1100 a month after taxes and insurance :( I need to refi so I can get out of this mortgage insurance horseshit.

The sad part is, unless you live in the ghetto, a decent 1 bdrm apt is close to 800 a month anyway.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hot Cops posted:

You wouldn't believe how many guys drive and park Raptors downtown.

I would. Here in TX, full-size 4-door trucks are the vehicle of choice for most suburban dads. The city is full of badly parked enormous trucks that will never haul anything more challenging than the monthly costco groceries.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

PXJ800 posted:

Wrong thread?
That looks like a prop from Supervan.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

Also I'm incredibly jealous of your mortgage payment. My last apartment (600 sq ft 1 bed/1 bath, built in 1984 - fireplace, full size w/d included, microwave, new appliances, etc) in a decent, but not awesome, area, was closer to $700/month. No utilities included. Need a roommate?

It's a 1961 concrete block modern house, 1500sf. 3 bedroom, 2 bath. 3 minutes to the center of downtown. Carport, patio. I was renting a room there, and the owner short sold it to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

It's less than my rent. :smith:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

It's less than my rent. :smith:

$1500 for a 1 bedroom. But I'm 3 blocks from the best coast :ssh:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
You mean different parts of the country have different costs of living? :aaaaa:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SlapActionJackson posted:

I would. Here in TX, full-size 4-door trucks are the vehicle of choice for most suburban dads. The city is full of badly parked enormous trucks that will never haul anything more challenging than the monthly costco groceries.

I don't think it is limited to suburban dads, it is nearly anyone not in a city center. A friend recently bought a new F-150 and he admits the decision was between the loaded F-150 and a Mercedes or BMW. The truck won out because "we just have a truck culture here" and he's really right. I really can't fault him for that and he does use it to get insane deals on craigslist by going through the month old furniture listings and offering them 10% of their asking price "cash, and I can pick it up today."

It is pretty interesting to see how different areas have very distinct vehicle mixes.

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

How about a 2004 Extended cab with 56 thousand kms for the same price? :v:

Looks like someone with a low mileage 7.3 hoping to capitalize on how much the 6.0L Powerstroke sucked and how you can't make clouds of smoke with the new 6.4 thanks to the DPF.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

Looks like someone with a low mileage 7.3 hoping to capitalize on how much the 6.0L Powerstroke sucked and how you can't make clouds of smoke with the new 6.4 thanks to the DPF.

As much as I hate the DPF on my car eating a solid 20hp and 5mpg, the fact that douchebags can't run smoke tunes on their trucks anymore almost makes it worth it.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I watched Goldfinger for the first time in a long time last night.

This scene still makes me cry every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0H0C6FNO5U

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Saw this on my commute home.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DrPain posted:

Dont think that (ranchero?) is rated for that load.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Dont think that (ranchero?) is rated for that load.

Nope. Not even close. Also there was $1MM in gold bullion in the trunk of the linc, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

DrPain posted:

It was nearly a new car at the time and they were making plenty more. After reading the description in that video, they didn't even destroy the '64 picture car. They went and bought a used '63 to crush, and it was only one.

It's like seeing a brand new Aston Martin being smashed in a new Bond film now. Nobody gets all upset when it's a brand new model in a modern film. Yes it's a gorgeous amazing car, but it's not rare yet and you can go purchase another brand new one right now if you wanted to. Plus now they typically have 12-15 identical cars since they all have to be made to look a certain way for each scene, and they are often ordered from the manufacturer specifically for the film to reduce cost. Still you don't see people getting all upset when a modern car gets destroyed in a film.

Now if an original '63 Continental was being crushed in a new movie today I'd be all up in arms over it.