Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Suaimhneas posted:

and if Nintendo just perpetuate this "get stuff "cheaper" but only if you pay an ongoing subscription" thing then it'll be a huge disappointment.

Not that it's Wii U related, but PSN just announced their intention to do exactly this:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/psn-to-offer-retail-games-cheaper-on-day-one/4386/

People seem pretty excited, so I could see people subscribing to Nintendo's premium service for Day 1 discounts and being just fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

Here's a weird interview with Miyamoto, not exactly Wii U related, but there's no catch all nintendo thread and it's interesting. For instance in this interview Miyamoto confirms Mario had been practicing medicine without a license.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/09/24/miyamoto-tezuka-interview.aspx

This made me stupidly happy. As simple as it is whenever a friend would jokingly ask about why Bowser and Mario are all friendly in spinoffs I'd just assume that they were actors in a play. Like Mario clears a level; walks off the set and gets a coffee, then comes back. (Hell Mario 3 looked like it was a stage)

So glad to see my silly thought was actually right.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
$53.99 plus sales tax roughly comes out to the same price I pay on Amazon. No thanks...

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I could save over $2 by preordering and paying an extra $50 a year!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That's cool that PS+ members get a discount on preordering big games. I'm not sure why they're acting like it's a bigger deal than that tho.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This made me stupidly happy. As simple as it is whenever a friend would jokingly ask about why Bowser and Mario are all friendly in spinoffs I'd just assume that they were actors in a play. Like Mario clears a level; walks off the set and gets a coffee, then comes back. (Hell Mario 3 looked like it was a stage)

On the other hand you won't believe how many people have gotten upset over something stupid like the fact that Bowser is NOT the father of the Koopa Kids.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's kind of great how that explains away all the baby character nonsense in the spinoff games too. Everyone is just actors and they all like to hang out together when they're not working. So of course the kids can come along and ride go-karts too, everyone's invited. :allears:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like to imagine that they do karting and tennis and whatever for charity.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wonder if it's canon that the hardcore fans of Mario's theater troupe get really worked up about canon.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I'm just happy they didn't announce that Super Mario World is part of the Zelda timeline.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Did anyone check out the footage of Conker's Twelve Tales for the N64?

They seem to be pretty far in development as an E for Everyone game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/09/17/twelve-tales-conker-64-gameplay-surfaces.aspx

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/09/17/twelve-tales-conker-64-gameplay-surfaces.aspx

Hey, sweet. So when's that coming out for Wii U? :colbert:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

whoa I read this and thought I somehow time traveled without even realizing it

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

whoa I read this and thought I somehow time traveled without even realizing it

I went and checked my fridge for some SURGE cola.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

That's cool that PS+ members get a discount on preordering big games. I'm not sure why they're acting like it's a bigger deal than that tho.

"Pay 50+ bucks a year for a small discount on games every now and then, and free old games? Count me in!"

Steam gives you constant ridiculous discounts, huge sales, free games, etc. for the price of zero.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This is getting dumb and console/PC-warriory but PS+ often gives away brand new releases so yeah it's usually a good deal.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Surlaw posted:

This is getting dumb and console/PC-warriory but PS+ often gives away brand new releases so yeah it's usually a good deal.

It's not about PC-warriorness at all, it's about Steam being a fair competitor, and how there's no reason for consoles to lack the same features, or charge money for a similar service.

Hopefully Nintendo will change this around a lot and offer an actual robust online shop with sales and such, but that they're even going online is miraculous.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 26, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

Hopefully Nintendo will change this around a lot and offer an actual robust online shop with sales and such, but that they're even going online is miraculous.

You honestly think that Nintendo is gonna be on par with Steam right out of the gate? You're clearly deluded...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

You honestly think that Nintendo is gonna be on par with Steam right out of the gate? You're clearly deluded...

I don't think that? I even said that they're even doing any of this is strange and new so hoping for anything more than basic stuff is reaching for the stars.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Gamestop sent out a mass email about being able to get on a waitlist if you don't have a console reserved. Go in-store and sign up and they print out a receipt for you and will call/email you when they have a system for your place in line. No cost to sign up (you need one of their Rewards cards but it looks like the free version is fine) and you pay in full when you pick it up.

Only issue I see with it is the tiny disclaimer "Systems may be available for purchase only in a promotional bundle" so you might be suckered into getting extra accessories or games you don't really want.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't think that? I even said that they're even doing any of this is strange and new so hoping for anything more than basic stuff is reaching for the stars.

Well you're clearly hoping for something better than PS+ considering your post above complaining about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TaurusOxford posted:

Or ever? Nintendo will never be able to touch Steam unless there's a partnership somewhere down the line (which would be utterly loving awesome).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, here's the the final confirmed list of day-one titles:

quote:

Call of Duty Black Ops 2
Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3 (the game show, not the racer)
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Darksiders 2
Assassin's Creed 3
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Game Party Champions
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 26, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Surprised Rayman isn't on there. Saves me sixty bucks at least.

Is the wipeout series any good? Is that already out on anything? Just wondering if that could give a nice F-Zero fix.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, just to clarify: that's not Wipeout the Sony-owned F-Zero clone, it's Wipeout: The Crappy Game Show: The Game (ie shovelware).

Rayman is a launch title in Europe, so I'm sure it'll be out within a couple weeks of the NA launch.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Is the wipeout series any good? Is that already out on anything? Just wondering if that could give a nice F-Zero fix.

Wipeout is out on PS3 and Vita. They're good games, but they just don't satisfy me like F-Zero GX did. You might get more mileage out of them than me though, so don't take my word as fact.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

greatn posted:

It's not that kind of wipeout, it's the gameshow's videogame.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Oh, just to clarify: that's not Wipeout the Sony-owned F-Zero clone, it's Wipeout: The Crappy Game Show: The Game (ie shovelware).

Rayman is a launch title in Europe, so I'm sure it'll be out within a couple weeks of the NA launch.

Haha wow, that would be a dumb mistake for me to make. Never heard of the game show.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Wipeout is out on PS3 and Vita. They're good games, but they just don't satisfy me like F-Zero GX did. You might get more mileage out of them than me though, so don't take my word as fact.

I got Wipeout HD for free after the PS network's long downtime, and I have to say, the only way it resembles F-zero is in the looks department.

The feel of it is terrible by comparison. In GX the machines turned smoothly, and even at high top speeds you could drift corners smoothly with some skill. It was also lightning fast. Wipeout is so slow it could be Mario kart (game has mario kart randomized items, too), and every vehicle handles like a tank.

Why can't someone else get it right while we wait? :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the tentative digital schedule:

quote:

Cloudberry Kingdom - November
Chasing Aurora - November
Trine 2: Director’s Cut - November
Nano Assault Neo - November
Mighty Switch Force HD - November
Little Inferno - November
Toki Tori 2 - Novemberbre
Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - January

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

Haha... wrong wipeout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XmgIZbhvLs go to :38

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I really hope COD:BlopsII is a better indicator of Activision's level of confidence in the Wii U market than that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd love to get Blops and show support my support for deep first person shooters, but I hate war glorification games, and Oliver North noted war criminal consulted on this one making it even worse. I might be wrong and he consulted on the other major war game franchise.

Fps gotta be sci fi or fantasy, not involve real world troops for me to enjoy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not about PC-warriorness at all, it's about Steam being a fair competitor, and how there's no reason for consoles to lack the same features, or charge money for a similar service.

There is one reason, because they can do so and get away with it. Steam, could not since it operates on an open platform.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Chaltab posted:

I really hope COD:BlopsII is a better indicator of Activision's level of confidence in the Wii U market than that.

I don't think it was a lack of confidence. I think it was a case of the Wii not being up to much hardware wise and them not being willing to dedicate enough peoplepower to craft a unique Wii experience.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Activision_games

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think Rayman will come out a week before the system comes out. Ubisoft had most of their Vita games out before its release.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

I'd love to get Blops and show support my support for deep first person shooters, but I hate war glorification games, and Oliver North noted war criminal consulted on this one making it even worse. I might be wrong and he consulted on the other major war game franchise.

Fps gotta be sci fi or fantasy, not involve real world troops for me to enjoy.

There's also this slight problem that the CoD franchise since MW2 is "pay sixty dollars for the same game re-balanced slightly and a dozen new maps (we delete the old ones and will charge you for a portion of them in the DLC) :)"

I miss the old days where developers wouldn't dare charge for maps since it was so easy for players to make their own (and it would be several times easier if they'd release the loving tools), and they just did it out of love for the game and their fans. Now it's acceptable to pay 25% of a game's price for recycled maps.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This one has a zombie mode though. Your move, gamers!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

This one has a zombie mode though. Your move, gamers!

The zombie mode in BLOPS was genuinely fun with friends, and the games really aren't bad at all. It plays like counter-strike on crack, and that can be a good thing if you're into arcadey-ness.

I just refuse to buy into the whole "buy our yearly game it's the same as the last one but now we added/changed something slightly that we could've done in a patch! Also maps!!"

That said, I hope the Wii U version does well, since that will tell devs there is a "core" audience on the console.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the tentative digital schedule:

Those are the digital only games, but all of Nintendo's Wii U games at least will be available digitally, concurrent with the physical release, as well.

• Locked thread