Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

uglynoodles posted:

horrible portfolio

I poked around the Futureworks website, and their news section profiled some very capable and talented grads, and if they have industry folks as instructors, there's going to be some good networking.

Even highly regarded programs fail to filter out 100% of the hacks. My design program is consistently ranked top ten in the US, but a couple of my classmates SUCKED rear end. They got into the program, but were asked to leave after the first year. My university, which is top notch all around, has still given degrees in cases that were not deserved/appropriate (like masters to two lazy asses in a new masters program in which it was was bureaucratically impossible to issue a failing grade). It happens everywhere. I guess the question is, is this guy with the poo poo portfolio the norm or the exception? Is it a school where they just let you in, take your money, and showcase the few students with actual promise, or does it have a generally decent student body with some duds?

Have you toured the facilities/studios? What does the student work look like? If it's all mediocre and students are allowed to continue their silly idea-guy poo poo and traced crayon fantasy drawings, then run.

edit: The more I look at this portfolio, the more ridiculous it gets. Like the game idea with Daleks (I don't think those are general sci-fi canon..), and that he credited the crappy how-to-draw books that he traced from was inspired by.

Authentic You fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
So, I'm an art school drop out for better or worse. I was attending PSU for a BFA in drawing and painting. I was in my 3rd year & I got kinda burnt out on the whole rest of school except for the art portion, and never registered for classes again. I'm now in San Francisco and find myself wanting to use my skills in a job. I'm interested in digital art (3d stuff, illustrator and the like), but don't have any real experience with it. I'm really looking to get into game design.

I've looked into the academy of art here but it's pretty pricey. Like $10000 per semester. I'm kinda apprehensive about paying that much.

I guess my questions are:

Is the San Francisco academy of art worth the cost?

Would I be better off just taking a few courses and then working on my own to build a portfolio?

How important is a degree versus a solid portfolio?

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 10, 2012

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
Actually SFAI is not a bad school as far as "art institutes" go, but if you can't be motivated to read the past 5 pages I don't know if it would be worth your money.

I think the an important thing to ask is, what is it that you actually want to do? not, "I like 3d stuff," but, really try to figure out what it is you want to build your career in. If you don't know, maybe taking classes at a community college or something would be better before you start dropping thousands of dollars on a "real" school. It would also help you narrow down schools. Because schools are mostly, in my opinion, a scam, unless you're really motivated and the people there can actually help position you well for the future in your field of choice. Even then, I know people who go like 80k into debt for an undergrad degree and will be making like 15k a year or less when they finish just doing the poo poo work trying to get "started" in certain fields (ceramics.) I don't think thats a great path of action, but on the other hand, they're doing the things they really love to do and don't really give a poo poo about the money (most of them are in their 20s...)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah I read some of the stuff about the AI's, I was referring specifically to the Academy of Art. They're a separate entity from the Art institute, but still seem to be an unscrupulous institution after further research.

As it is right now, I work in a deli 7 days a week and don't use any of my art skills unless you count a "sandwich artist" :v:. I'm at a loss for what to do with what I've learned so far I guess. Digital art definitely interests me as a medium, considering it's complete lack of permanence and transience. I like video games and have a genuine interest in putting my ideas or renditions into that format. I'm just not sure which avenue I should take to go about doing that. I ask about schools in general because they offer the time and facilities to work on things more readily than say working on at home.

As it is right now, I'm about 40k in debt through loans. I'm not wild about the idea of increasing that debt. I am a veteran and have some GI bill benefits remaining. Since the advent of the post 9/11 GI bill this will now cover 90% of the cost of tuition plus a stipend of some sort, rather than just the stipend it had been before (hence the debt).

I really just need/want to get a grasp on what I'm doing in a structured classroom environment before trying to tackle it completely on my own. What I'm looking for is an experience that will be worth my time and money. I need critically minded instruction and classmates. The big issue, say if I decided to return to school to complete my BFA in say Game design is that almost nothing from my time as a drawing and painting major would transfer over. I'd certainly have more experience than my classmates, but that doesn't mean anything in academia.

At any rate...I'm concerned about needlessly putting myself into what I see as insurmountable debt over what essentially equals a change of majors as a junior in college. If it would be in my benefit in the long run to actually get a degree, then it would be worth it to go back to into a degree program. I know the portfolio is really the most important aspect but how does a diploma or a lack-thereof stack up against that portfolio? I ask about schools in general because there's a general wealth of universities in San Francisco. Which one's are the ones to avoid?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're at all concerned about money go to a public school in your current state of residence and do not go to private art school in San Francisco.

The San Francisco Art Institute and the California College of the Arts are the only "real" art schools in the city. Everything else is firmly in the "advertises during late night cartoon reruns" camp. They are all ruinously expensive and San Francisco is the costliest place to live in America outside of NYC.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ok. Well it looks like the City college of San Francisco offers a certificate program in game design. It seems like it would be a pretty good place to start . The tuition is reasonable and would be doable. I suppose migrating over to the 3DCG thread would be a good place to go to at least get myself started down the right track.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've been approached to do a front-end web developer job. I love design, but I think I need to really get some front-end experience to make me a better web designer since I'll understand the code side that's needed. In the long run I'm wanting to get into web/UX design. Anyone been successful at switching from developer to designer later in their career? I've seen some dual positions that involve design and coding so I know they exist. Would it be easier for me to grab a web design job with a graphic design background and a few years coding experience?

I just got done with training in HTML5 and CSS3 and have a very in depth knowledge of standard HTML and CSS2. Working on the JavaScript, but I have a working knowledge.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

cheese eats mouse posted:

I've been approached to do a front-end web developer job. I love design, but I think I need to really get some front-end experience to make me a better web designer since I'll understand the code side that's needed. In the long run I'm wanting to get into web/UX design. Anyone been successful at switching from developer to designer later in their career? I've seen some dual positions that involve design and coding so I know they exist. Would it be easier for me to grab a web design job with a graphic design background and a few years coding experience?

I'm actually currently in the process of getting really serious about upping my front-end dev skills. I won't lie, it's pretty difficult and a completely different way of thinking, especially if you're coming at it from a static, pixel-perfect design sort of background.

That being said, I do believe that having a grasp on what powers your designs is invaluable, and definitely makes you a better, more desirable designer.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

pipes! posted:

I'm actually currently in the process of getting really serious about upping my front-end dev skills. I won't lie, it's pretty difficult and a completely different way of thinking, especially if you're coming at it from a static, pixel-perfect design sort of background.

That being said, I do believe that having a grasp on what powers your designs is invaluable, and definitely makes you a better, more desirable designer.

Oh yea I know what you mean. Most of my knowledge and experience is in print, but I've wanting to get into web because I enjoy it so much more. I actually can grasp web coding fairly quickly and am proficient with HTML and CSS (learning JavaScript now), but just haven't had solid job experience to go with it.

I was approached on LinkedIn after having my resume forwarded from applying to a completely different position so that was pretty exciting. Hopefully things work out because I'm getting really bored with being only an HTML e-mail designer/coder. Plus it's an actual design studio and they look like a great company.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Hopefully things work out because I'm getting really bored with being only an HTML e-mail designer/coder. Plus it's an actual design studio and they look like a great company.

I also know the pain of working with HTML email. If you haven't already, look into SASS. It's basically CSS done in a not-crazy way, and it owns.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

pipes! posted:

I also know the pain of working with HTML email. If you haven't already, look into SASS. It's basically CSS done in a not-crazy way, and it owns.

Holy poo poo this is awesome.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

pipes! posted:

A Master's degree in graphic design is about as useful as the Pope's testicles. If you're interested in higher education, pursue something you're also interested in that gives you more career flexibility (such as a teaching degree) and continue to develop your portfolio on the side.

I second this. I see a lot of "Masters in Design" books come through the door, and not a single one of them has anything employable. It's a completely worthless piece of paper. Arguably less than a bachelor of arts or similar, because at least you'd learn to write and form some kind of critical thinking & writing ability.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In Game Dev Mag's yearly salary survey, video game professionals with masters degrees make the least amount of money (including drop outs, bachelor's, and higher). It's a relatively informal survey, but it's funny when the new one comes out each year because those masters guys are always at the bottom...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

pipes! posted:

A Master's degree in graphic design is about as useful as the Pope's testicles. If you're interested in higher education, pursue something you're also interested in that gives you more career flexibility (such as a teaching degree) and continue to develop your portfolio on the side.

Disreputable Dog posted:

I second this. I see a lot of "Masters in Design" books come through the door, and not a single one of them has anything employable. It's a completely worthless piece of paper. Arguably less than a bachelor of arts or similar, because at least you'd learn to write and form some kind of critical thinking & writing ability.

I'd actually disagree with this. Or parts of this.

I heartily agree that the piece of paper is worthless unless you want to teach, in which case it's often a requirement if you ever want to advance past adjunct status. The only other time having a masters would be valuable would be if you were trying to get a full-time design job with the federal government – you automatically make more money if you have a masters.

However a masters program can be incredibly valuable, depending on the program. I have a close friend who's doing her masters at SVA right now, and her professors are people like Milton Glaser, Sagmeister, Michael Bierut, etc. She's working on projects that are totally off the wall crazy-awesome, forcing her to work in new mediums, in new styles, etc. She was a "good" designer when she went into the program... but I'd say the work she's producing now is no longer good, it's really great.

Of course SVA's program is one of the best. If you're getting your masters at Podunk University of Central Nowhere, it's probably a waste of money. But not all masters programs are worthless. :)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

kedo posted:

However a masters program can be incredibly valuable, depending on the program. I have a close friend who's doing her masters at SVA right now, and her professors are people like Milton Glaser, Sagmeister, Michael Bierut, etc. She's working on projects that are totally off the wall crazy-awesome, forcing her to work in new mediums, in new styles, etc. She was a "good" designer when she went into the program... but I'd say the work she's producing now is no longer good, it's really great.

Yea if you can afford the $37K a year price tag. She's still only going to make around $50-60K average (I'm pulling from memory on AIGA's salary surveys).

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

kedo posted:

I'd actually disagree with this. Or parts of this.

I heartily agree that the piece of paper is worthless unless you want to teach, in which case it's often a requirement if you ever want to advance past adjunct status. The only other time having a masters would be valuable would be if you were trying to get a full-time design job with the federal government – you automatically make more money if you have a masters.

Of course SVA's program is one of the best. If you're getting your masters at Podunk University of Central Nowhere, it's probably a waste of money. But not all masters programs are worthless. :)

Totally Kedo, I can agree to that point. The people who I've encountered with Masters degrees are the ones who went to so-so places, but they were not designers to begin with and the admissions process was poor. So while they maybe did some cool thought experiments ("design THINKING man"), their executional and conceptual abilities were just not there, and, as a result, their books weren't either.

TigerRose
Mar 17, 2009
Fallen Rib

dog nougat posted:

So, I'm an art school drop out for better or worse. I was attending PSU for a BFA in drawing and painting. I was in my 3rd year & I got kinda burnt out on the whole rest of school except for the art portion, and never registered for classes again. I'm now in San Francisco and find myself wanting to use my skills in a job.

Whoa, hey fellow PSU BFA buddy. I wonder if I know you? There's not very many of us. I'm glad I managed to get my degree (even if just barely) but if dropping out would have landed me in SF by now instead of still working crappy retail and living at home I would have done that sooner :) I was even considering AAU for a masters program as well before I realized I'm already in enough debt for a useless degree.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, or not doing enough of, that I'm having such trouble finding a job. I was looking in graphic design, as that's what I did an internship in, had done freelance work for, etc even if it wasn't the focus of my degree and I went to a state school that kind of forgets it even has an art department. But now that I've been out of school for almost a year and a half with nothing to show for it, I don't know if I should just try to find something else, look into another field, anything. Every day I'm stuck working a 12 hour retail shift is another day my internship experience gets farther and farther behind me and gets less and less relevant. I loved school and I like the idea of a masters degree but it's not exactly realistic, especially in this economy and with my background. I just want to stop feeling like I'm doomed to be a useless suburban retail wage slave for the rest of my life.

Anyway, without the E/N, this is my new portfolio: https://www.katiemooreart.com. Any feedback/crit on what (everything) I'm doing wrong (or right, I guess) would be appreciated.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

TigerRose posted:

Anyway, without the E/N, this is my new portfolio: https://www.katiemooreart.com. Any feedback/crit on what (everything) I'm doing wrong (or right, I guess) would be appreciated.

It's a real shame all your work is crammed into a teeny-tiny box where it's difficult and annoying to see.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

pipes! posted:

It's a real shame all your work is crammed into a teeny-tiny box where it's difficult and annoying to see.

Not to mention there are slews of production issues. For example, absolutely nothing lines up with anything else. Margins / padding change from box to box. Colors are inconsistent. Links are unstyled. There's lots of internal scrolling. On certain pages the layout breaks (eg. http://www.katiemooreart.com/design/goddess.html ) And like pipes said, it's hard to see your work.

Honestly if you applied to a job at my studio, your portfolio site alone would be enough for us to not consider you for a job. Whether or not you mean it to, it screams "I don't care enough to pay attention to detail," which is what this industry is aaallllllllll about. So unless you're only applying to crappy firms who won't care, this is something you should immediately fix.

I might recommend checking out Cargo or some of those other portfolio building sites. Or if you're going to design your own, ask a lot of people to critique it.

PS. Sorry for the somewhat harsh critique. WELCOME TO THE INDUSTRY! :unsmith:

Yea if you can afford the $37K a year price tag. She's still only going to make around $50-60K average (I'm pulling from memory on AIGA's salary surveys).

Oh yeah, I'm aware and I'm sure she realizes this. However if you're looking at it from more of a "this will improve me as a designer and may ultimately allow me to win work for better firms/clients" it could potentially pay off in the long run. If you're doing a masters program where you're not learning a lot, you're wasting your money.

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 21, 2012

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

TigerRose posted:

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, or not doing enough of, that I'm having such trouble finding a job. I was looking in graphic design, as that's what I did an internship in, had done freelance work for, etc even if it wasn't the focus of my degree and I went to a state school that kind of forgets it even has an art department. But now that I've been out of school for almost a year and a half with nothing to show for it, I don't know if I should just try to find something else, look into another field, anything. Every day I'm stuck working a 12 hour retail shift is another day my internship experience gets farther and farther behind me and gets less and less relevant. I loved school and I like the idea of a masters degree but it's not exactly realistic, especially in this economy and with my background. I just want to stop feeling like I'm doomed to be a useless suburban retail wage slave for the rest of my life.

Basically, what pipes! and kedo said. The portfolio alone is a massive turnoff. Because design is so much about presentation and attention to detail, the portfolio itself is a design piece that can be used to gauge your ability as a designer. If you can't design a good showcase for your work, it makes me question/doubt you as a designer.

I do front-end web development in addition to design, so I poked around the construction of the site a bit. I'm guessing you coded it yourself/used a graphical web page editor? One of the glaring issues I saw was that the menu was an image map (hence its unresponsiveness). :psyduck: Did you want to use those non-web fonts? But then you've successfully imported some Google fonts, so.. wtf I'm confused. So yeah, the whole code side construction with the image map and internal scrolling screams 90s, and even though you're not marketing yourself as a web designer, it all says 'not with the times'.

However, there's absolutely no shame in not creating a portfolio site from scratch/using pre-made templates. If you're applying for jobs right this instant, put up your work and info at someplace like Carbonmade and link to that instead of your website. Portfolio sites like Cargo Collective, Carbonmade or hell, even DeviantArt Portfolio instantly give you a clean, easy-to-navigate showcase for your work. In the meantime, you can put together a better self-hosted portfolio. An easy option is to install Wordpress (free, easy to manage, extremely well documented) and find a portfolio theme for it. Here are some cool free ones. If you know CSS, you can very easily modify themes.

As for content, I'd ditch the whole animation section. The average length of the animations is like six seconds, and I don't see the point in demonstrating that you can move some cutouts over a background for a few seconds. Also, you might want to cull some pieces from your art sections, and then combine fine art and other art into Art. Right now, the collection looks very art student. I'd also take better photographs of the best/favorite ceramic pieces you want to include.

Again, sorry if this all sounds harsh - we just want to help.

TigerRose
Mar 17, 2009
Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't realize there was such an issue with boxes/margins fluctuating and all that, or the boxes being too small. It fits on my 13" screen so it must look the same on all the others, right? :downs: I'd asked other people for feedback (both well-meaning relatives and friends who should know to look for these issues) and they'd never mentioned any of this, so thanks.

I had been using a Cargo Collective site, not sure I want to go back to it, but the Wordpress thing seems like a good option, since I already have it installed on my hosting and it's a more useful thing to learn to leverage from what I can tell. Considering there was all of 1 web class for me to take in college (this is HTML, this is how you use an IMG tag) most of my background is still squarely in the teenage anime fan sites of my youth...not so relevant any more.

I'd really love to get an internship, so I could just get more of that actual hands-on, learning experience from people who know what they're doing either web- or design-wise or both, but a) half of them slam shut on me since I'm not a student any more, b) unpaid internships are balls whether because it costs a fortune to commute to NYC or because I'd have to pay for living somewhere else yet not be earning a livable salary and c) because half of the ones I find are sketchy craigslist work farms for crazy people where there's no learning involved (my most recent one definitely qualifies). I know unpaid internships are par for the course in this field, but it's still frustrating and prohibitive. Is there any good industry-specific places to look for JUST internships? I check Coroflot and Linkedin, mostly, but there's not much on that level from what I've seen.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TigerRose posted:

Is there any good industry-specific places to look for JUST internships? I check Coroflot and Linkedin, mostly, but there's not much on that level from what I've seen.

http://designjobs.aiga.org/public/internships.asp

You'll need an AIGA membership to view those. If you don't have one you probably should (especially while looking for a job). Behance seems to be another popular spot for postings these days, but in my experience AIGA tends to have higher quality firms posting/postions being posted.

Also, far better and more effective than browsing job boards for internships is going to networking events and meeting people. There have probably been thousands of articles written about this... just Google it, but the tl;dr version of every single one of them is that if you're serious about getting a good position at a quality firm (even just an internship), the only way you're going to do it is by networking. Otherwise your chances are only slightly better than playing the lottery.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

TigerRose posted:

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't realize there was such an issue with boxes/margins fluctuating and all that, or the boxes being too small. It fits on my 13" screen so it must look the same on all the others, right? :downs: I'd asked other people for feedback (both well-meaning relatives and friends who should know to look for these issues) and they'd never mentioned any of this, so thanks.

I had been using a Cargo Collective site, not sure I want to go back to it, but the Wordpress thing seems like a good option, since I already have it installed on my hosting and it's a more useful thing to learn to leverage from what I can tell. Considering there was all of 1 web class for me to take in college (this is HTML, this is how you use an IMG tag) most of my background is still squarely in the teenage anime fan sites of my youth...not so relevant any more.

Yeah, that can be a problem with well-meaning friends and relatives. Back in high school, mine all said my fantasy novel was the best ever, but then I dug it up on my old laptop the other day and... :stonk:

Anyhow, Wordpress is great, good to work with, a good web design/development learning tool, and is a useful skill. I've gotten a couple job inquiry callbacks specifically because I have 'Wordpress' on my resume. It's a great CMS for lots of stuff other than blogs. In general, I think designing/building on a database-driven CMS is the way to go. Get a portfolio theme and tweak it, then get a skeleton theme and practice customizing it. Feel free to PM me if you have any Wordpress questions. :)

And yah, it's amazing how dated web classes tend to be. The one offered during my stint in design school was a joke. Just very basic HTML and CSS. The kids who took it produced portfolios that looked good, but were a loving bitch to update. Wanna add a project? Hand-code the new menu link on every single page! Don't want to hand code? Then bloated, table-ridden templates are for you.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm about to begin looking for work but I feel like my online portfolio is incredibly lovely and no one will ever want to hire me. Am I just being self-defeating or is it as bad as I think? :ohdear: What can I do to improve it?

http://esroc.carbonmade.com

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't think it sucks, but it is weak. Some pieces are stronger than others, you should start by removing the worst of your work and leaving only the best. Your portfolio is only as good as your worst piece. A portfolio is not a collection of your work, it is a snapshot of you at your best.

Second, keep making stuff and putting your work out there for critique. Your work seems to stop at 2011, and there are only 3 pieces there. What happened to the rest of the year? And where is 2012? Remember that your portfolio should always be in motion. It is never finished, because you are always becoming a better artist, and you should keep updating it to demonstrate that. That said, at some point it has to be good enough to get you a job, so it never hurts to look for work, regardless of what stage it is on. If it doesn't work then it means you need to improve further.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 2, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Chernabog posted:

I don't think it sucks, but it is weak. Some pieces are stronger than others, you should start by removing the worst of your work and leaving only the best. Your portfolio is only as good as your worst piece. A portfolio is not a collection of your work, it is a snapshot of you at your best.

Second, keep making stuff and putting your work out there for critique. Your work seems to stop at 2011, and there are only 3 pieces there. What happened to the rest of the year? And where is 2012? Remember that your portfolio should always be in motion. It is never finished, because you are always becoming a better artist, and you should keep updating it to demonstrate that. That said, at some point it has to be good enough to get you a job, so it never hurts look for work, regardless of what stage it is on. If it doesn't work then it means you need to improve further.

The 2011 folder is actually the 2012, I just mislabeled it. I think I'll go in and remove the dates completely as well as my weaker pieces as you suggested and reorganize the entire thing. I have been a bit lax this year on completing pieces though, those three are the only ones that I feel are "completed" (though I have a habit of never considering any of them as complete).

EDIT: Moved some things around, removed even more things. Does it look a bit stronger now?

Esroc fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 2, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ok then. Regardless, you should be cranking out finished pictures. 3 pieces that you are happy with over 9 months is a very small amount. A professional will be working 8 hours a day, if not more. Assuming you have other things to do and can't devote that much time to it, at least you can strive for it.

Edit: I would get rid of the Anakin, as well as the photoshop one, it is too photoshoppy. If I recall correctly from your previous iteration, it said it was your first attempt at PS, and it shows. Probably get rid of the colored Conan as well. Overall, your strongest stuff is the ink. You need to work on your coloring.

Also, now that you removed the sections, I would make it jump straight to your work, rather than having to click a button.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 2, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Chernabog posted:

Ok then. Regardless, you should be cranking out finished pictures. 3 pieces that you are happy with over 9 months is a very small amount. A professional will be working 8 hours a day, if not more. Assuming you have other things to do and can't devote that much time to it, at least you can strive for it.

Trust me, I know. I hate that I can't finish many of them. But, you know, life gets in the way. I'm in the midst of revisiting my priorities though so I can put more effort into drawing, which is part of the reason why I decided to finally get my portfolio out there in the first place.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Esroc posted:

Trust me, I know. I hate that I can't finish many of them. But, you know, life gets in the way. I'm in the midst of revisiting my priorities though so I can put more effort into drawing, which is part of the reason why I decided to finally get my portfolio out there in the first place.

I used to kind of think this way (the "Yeah, but LIFE" way) until I got an internship with this other guy. He was still in university, was married and had 2 toddler aged kids. His wife worked, and he worked the internship and 2 other jobs on campus. I ended up in a class with him, and he never missed a critique or an assignment. He found whatever he needed in his life to light that fire under his rear end and his face instantly pops into my head everytime I'm all like "hurf, life is hard and stuff".

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I've already gotten several replies back from local companies I've sent my portfolio to. Nothing concrete, but all of them said they liked my work and would send any contract work they need my way.

How often should I contact them or send them an updated portfolio to ensure they don't just forget about me?

I also need advice on what to expect for pay should I get lucky and one of them does call me. I honestly have no idea what is reasonable to ask for, but at the same time I'm not concerned with making huge amounts of money this early in my career. I'd be happy just getting paid something in exchange for a chance to get my work out there.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Esroc posted:

I'm about to begin looking for work but I feel like my online portfolio is incredibly lovely and no one will ever want to hire me. Am I just being self-defeating or is it as bad as I think? :ohdear: What can I do to improve it?

http://esroc.carbonmade.com
In my unprofessional opinion, I would ditch the (self portraits?) #1, 2 and 4.

Esroc posted:

I've already gotten several replies back from local companies I've sent my portfolio to. Nothing concrete, but all of them said they liked my work and would send any contract work they need my way.

How often should I contact them or send them an updated portfolio to ensure they don't just forget about me?

I also need advice on what to expect for pay should I get lucky and one of them does call me. I honestly have no idea what is reasonable to ask for, but at the same time I'm not concerned with making huge amounts of money this early in my career. I'd be happy just getting paid something in exchange for a chance to get my work out there.
You sir might benefit from a visit to The Business of Art thread!

It doesn't have specific pricing (since that is such a variable) but having a good background knowledge of what you should be looking for will help you negotiate

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com
I'm a creative writing major at the University of Arizona and am mainly interested in writing for visual or interactive media. Right now, I'm making enough to get by on the GI Bill benefits, but I've been really interested in any paid writing jobs that'll give me experience and some extra cash.

Does anyone have any advice on how to start dipping into creative writing work? I've been told submitting short fiction to magazines or ezines is a good start, but I haven't really found one that seems decent and isn't on some kind of hiatus.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

uglynoodles posted:

Right so I went to an open day for a college back in December and I liked what I saw, the staff were very nice and the instructors are good artists who've all worked in the games industry. I signed up and after a placement interview and brief assessment of my work, I paid for the Foundations course in Game Art with the view to progression onto the Game Design course that offers a BA. This is in the UK, by the way.

So yesterday was the induction for the students in the games department and I met a fellow student who is on said BA course. He was a bit weird but whatever, said he'd done the Foundations course I'm on last year and hey did I want to have a look at his portfolio site.

Oh my God. I think it is the worst example of a portfolio I can think of. It's like a checklist example of what NOT to do as far as I understand it and this guy got onto the BA course, a course that did list a portfolio review for acceptance onto it.

I mean it when I say this guy's work looks like that of a six year old and at least 40% of it is traced from some godawful Christopher Hart book or something. If you're curious, it is a publicly viewable portfolio so here is the link. I'm not exaggerating, and I'm worried. (Don't contact this guy either. He means well.)

I'm bringing this up because if this guy is on the course, what kind of standards do they actually have for work? I'm now afraid that if this guy can succeed that I won't be getting valuable feedback and any accreditation I attain will be functionally meaningless. I never graduated highschool myself and this is my first return to education.

The college is called Futureworks, in Manchester. It's in association with the University of Lancashire.

Basically I'm hoping to get some skills to help me gain a better understanding of what's required of a person in a creative arts role in games or film and some skills to make a decent portfolio. So I figure no matter what it'll help somewhat... But I'm nervous all the same! :(

If you're looking for UK game art courses, I looked at De Montfort's one in Leicester last year and it was really good. What they said there was that you should only go to Industry Accredited courses with the games industry because there are a lot of courses that are complete poo poo and run by people who have no idea what kind of skillset the industry wants from graduates. For reference, here is a list of accredited courses. Because of the whole accreditation thing and the current growth of the industry in europe, the course also has a really good employment rate! For game art there's an accredited course in De Montfort, one uni in Wales and another uni in Scotland. If you're applying, they prefer a solid grounding in stuff like life drawing, anatomy, figurative things, painting etc over anything 3D because they'll be teaching you how to use specific 3D programs and techniques and is a lot harder for them if you've got a load of bad habits from using google sketchup or something.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
So I was brainstorming with one of my friends I've been collaborating with for years since design school. He's finally gotten a big project at work to sink his teeth into and was bummed because he had no ideas. I mocked up an idea and sent it to him, thinking it would be a launching-off point for him to run with, but it looks like it might end up being the basis of this very, very large campaign for his firm. I'm not sure how I should feel about this, he's just a low-level designer and my mockup jpg has worked its way all the way up to the client, senior designer and project manager. I'm not sure what to do/how to feel about this. I casually asked if I could get some credit/freelance and got a non-committal 'maybe' which is basically 'no'. Advice, guys?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Moist von Lipwig posted:

So I was brainstorming with one of my friends I've been collaborating with for years since design school. He's finally gotten a big project at work to sink his teeth into and was bummed because he had no ideas. I mocked up an idea and sent it to him, thinking it would be a launching-off point for him to run with, but it looks like it might end up being the basis of this very, very large campaign for his firm. I'm not sure how I should feel about this, he's just a low-level designer and my mockup jpg has worked its way all the way up to the client, senior designer and project manager. I'm not sure what to do/how to feel about this. I casually asked if I could get some credit/freelance and got a non-committal 'maybe' which is basically 'no'. Advice, guys?

Probably just have to chalk it up to lesson learned, and next time:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

yipes! posted:

Probably just have to chalk it up to lesson learned, and next time:

Yeah I kind of thought so, I'll have to see how this plays out, I might be able to leverage it into some freelance or something later. Thanks pipes.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Yeah I kind of thought so, I'll have to see how this plays out, I might be able to leverage it into some freelance or something later. Thanks pipes.

If nothing else, your buddy now owes you a huge favor, make sure he knows it. Favors in business are better than money!

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

To be honest, that is one way print brokers get started in the business. I know a few of them and are horrible or do not know a single thing about print/web design, but are connected enough to know people who can do the work at a quality level that they can sell.

Arken_ca
Sep 14, 2011
Can anyone recommend schools in Canada for Photography? Are the two year program schools worth going to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.
I seriously need some advice on some things. Ive given it a long hard thinking over for a while and decided to do what I have been interested in all my life. Movies and TV. More specifically production. More specifically than that I guess post production though I would love to learn about all of it. I have not really done much in the school field in a while besides currently going to a community college to get my GPA up and to make sure I can handle things. Now that I know what I want to do. Where in the world do I start?
I have looked around a bit and am currently looking into the Art Institute of Charlotte, for a Bachelors in Digital Filmmaking & Video Production. Anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I am still looking but as far as now, I am lost without a guide.

Also any tips to help me in the field would be greatly appreciated. Recently I started recording little game videos with my friends and fiddling with them. Thinking of starting that road for practice.

Boxing Snatcher fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 12, 2012