Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ugh just got drummed out of my latest doc review job here in NYC. Was promised months of work for being conflicted out of working with every big bank you can think of and barely made 2 weeks. Was super pissed before (I'll SUE THEM), now just deflated. It was a nice place to work too, for that kind of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"I don't even want to be a lawyer - I'm in a bluegrass band." - Pretty spot-on. :v:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Does anybody here actually have a job they like? I hated the poo poo out of every second of law school, but while my job isn't the sexiest thing going (research and writing for a ~20 associate civil litigation firm in Colorado), I really enjoy it. It isn't high paying, but I leave at 5 almost everyday, do challenging work, and have a pretty comfortable life in general. I'm not trying to brag or anything, but this thread seems pretty high anxiety, and I worry about you guys! Is it really that bad?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I am Dan Dargon.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I like my job a lot every other Wednesday when the paycheck posts

TenementFunster posted:

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I am Dan Dargon.
I seen yo dick

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys, it's been fun but I'm finding that BigLaw billable requirements and these forums don't mix - mainly because I really enjoy reading these forums and have trouble stopping. So I'm out, you guys are awesome, this thread is awesome, I hope all of you get your dream jobs.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TenementFunster posted:

Does anybody here actually have a job they like? I hated the poo poo out of every second of law school, but while my job isn't the sexiest thing going (research and writing for a ~20 associate civil litigation firm in Colorado), I really enjoy it. It isn't high paying, but I leave at 5 almost everyday, do challenging work, and have a pretty comfortable life in general. I'm not trying to brag or anything, but this thread seems pretty high anxiety, and I worry about you guys! Is it really that bad?

I like it when my clients pay me and every day is different. I'm poor as poo poo right now though.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

TenementFunster posted:

Does anybody here actually have a job they like?

I love the hell out of my job. My boss is an incompetent jack rear end but you can't win them all.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My job's ok and I haven't done any real work for the past two weeks but I still long for human contact

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

I love the hell out of my job. My boss is an incompetent jack rear end but you can't win them all.

Ditto.

heh

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Everyone likes to bitch about their job/profession. A friend of mine in a kush residency was bitching to me about how the whole world is prejudiced against doctors (wtf?!).

I looooooved working at a firm. I have no idea if being an associate will be as enjoyable.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

TenementFunster posted:

I like my job. High paying, challenging, and usually interesting subject matter.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I seen yo dick
Same.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I don't know yet, but I'm confident that I will like my job.

EDIT: I ain't seen yo dick and I don't want to.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
group hug, everyone!

Lucificate
Jan 4, 2005
Love my current job as a trial court staff attorney and looking forward to new job as magistrate! Been happy with law since getting out of private practice. Just had to find something that worked with my personality and lifestyle.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

My job's ok and I haven't done any real work for the past two weeks but I still long for human contact

I start in January, tell me where to get an apartment for under $1600/mo.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

AgentSythe posted:

What kind of apartment? A 1BR, a studio? We're talking about the DC area, right? Stay the gently caress out of Virginia. Unless you have kids, gently caress Virginia.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

Love my job. IP associate at one of those big firms. Interesting work, coworkers are great, hours are good, and my field is so in demand, I never really feel any pressure at work. I'm pretty I'd hate my life if I did any other type of law.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AgentSythe posted:

You could probably get a studio in my building across the street from the patent office for around that (or failing my building, one of the seven others in the neighborhood). I'm paying $1900 for a 1br+den.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
I love my job mainly because I'm not practicing anymore. My classes are Monday through Wednesday only so I work from home the rest of the time. I do not teach (although I am updating curriculum at home) during the summer unless I want to for extra money.

I loved law school by the way, which is why teaching is the right environment for me. I always loved school. Now I get to use my legal education without having to actually be a lawyer. I will never be a gazillionaire but I make a pretty decent salary for someone living in Wisconsin where the cost of living isn't so high.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

What kind of apartment? A 1BR, a studio? We're talking about the DC area, right? Stay the gently caress out of Virginia. Unless you have kids, gently caress Virginia.

Yeah. Probably a studio. I've heard Arlington is okay as far as Things To Do. I know literally nothing about Alexandria other than smallish town houses in Old Town are like $700k.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alexandria is quiet, two lovely bars, and a bunch of good restaurants.

Arlington is a bunch of early-20s entry-level "I'm important because I work in DC" types.

DC is hipsters.

Maryland might as well be on Mars as far as I'm concerned.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

TenementFunster posted:

I love my job as a DA. I'd probably even do it if they didn't pay me, it's that fun. Of course, my state actually pays DAs a living wage with good benefits. I couldn't imagine being a DA in, like, Chicago or somewhere.

I also hated every second of law school.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

AgentSythe posted:

I lived at Carlyle Mill and it was $1760/mo, and that was the cheapest that was really convenient. For me it was worth it to be able to walk to work and not have to deal with the commute. The reviews online are bad, but I never had any problems with the place except that the dryer was an ancient piece of poo poo.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Omerta posted:

A friend of mine in a kush residency was bitching to me about how the whole world is prejudiced against doctors (wtf?!).
Funny, I don't remember anybody walking around saying "First thing we do, let's kill all the doctors."

quote:

I also hated every second of law school.
Amen.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

entris posted:

Hey guys, it's been fun but I'm finding that BigLaw billable requirements and these forums don't mix - mainly because I really enjoy reading these forums and have trouble stopping. So I'm out, you guys are awesome, this thread is awesome, I hope all of you get your dream jobs.
See you in three years. I expect whiskey Fridays to be a thing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

entris posted:

Faretheewell permabanned buddy ;;

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

entris posted:

You chose... poorly.

:)

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Alexandria is quiet, two lovely bars, and a bunch of good restaurants.

Arlington is a bunch of early-20s entry-level "I'm important because I work in DC" types.

DC is hipsters.

Maryland might as well be on Mars as far as I'm concerned.
Which DC hipster neighborhood is best if someone wanted a 2br or 1br+den for less than $2200?

Do any rentals include parking in DC or is it like Manhattan where people pay $500/month for a parking spot a mile from their apartment?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

10-8 posted:

Which DC hipster neighborhood is best if someone wanted a 2br or 1br+den for less than $2200?

Do any rentals include parking in DC or is it like Manhattan where people pay $500/month for a parking spot a mile from their apartment?

Good luck. Just looked and couldn't find anything. Re: parking, either street parking (need a permit) or your building has parking for like $100-150

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
My hours are great and I feel warm n fuzzy about the work I do, and I'm good at it, but I'm not in love with it. I mean, I like the feeling of accomplishment when I do it or win a motion, and I love the free travel to stateside conferences (jackson hole here i come wait why is it 70 degrees now) But I'm not entirely sure that not being in love with the work is a big problem. There's also a moderate chance I get bumped up to an admin position soon.

I think what I like most about my job is the steady decent pay, massive job security, good vacation time, relaxed atmosphere, and ability to go off on the weekends and explore lost waterfalls or fly to some cool Asian/Australian/Oceanic destination.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Pre-position ships on fire off the coast of Saipan. I watched basalt beams glitter in the dark near the Nan Madol Temple. All those moments will be lost in time, like billable hours to the internet. Time for lunch.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

entris posted:

Just watch, Ron Paul will win the election on write-in and then you'll be stuck still surfing the forums.

Of course in that situation I guess maybe billables would drop down the worry list.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Abugadu posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Pre-position ships on fire off the coast of Saipan. I watched basalt beams glitter in the dark near the Nan Madol Temple. All those moments will be lost in time, like billable hours to the internet. Time for lunch.

This owns

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I'm living in DC right now and might be moving over to Arlington area but only because it is cheaper. It is hard to find a good 1BR in NW that is actually near a real grocery store.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Public Defender
Pretty sweet.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Don't listen to anybody who describes DC as "full of hipsters" about DC.

Arlington sucks. One of the best things about DC is that if you live within a certain radius, you can walk to almost anywhere that's worth walking to. And DC is a beautiful and great city for walking around. Arlington apartments are bigger, but not really cheaper. There are nice neighborhoods in DC with reasonable apartment prices. And the bars in Arlington are populated by thousands of clones of the same boring douchey bro who thinks he's the poo poo.

I recommend you go to Padmapper.com and just sort of glide around DC to get an idea of prices. I would give you suggestions, but there are so many neighborhoods in DC and it depends on your priorities.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

TenementFunster posted:

My job is kind of boring, but I think that a lot of people would like it because I probably only work like 20 hours a week, only go into the office maybe once a week, and take about 2-3 months of vacation a year while earning pretty well. Life as a patent prosecutor at a smaller practice is kind of flexible. But sometimes it would be nice to have some human contact during the day. Maybe I should go in-house.

mongeese fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 27, 2012

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Good luck. Just looked and couldn't find anything. Re: parking, either street parking (need a permit) or your building has parking for like $100-150
Well gently caress. I did some looking around and to get a place in DC comparable to what I have now I'd need about a $20,000 cost of living adjustment just to break even. And it's not like Chicago is cheap. Where exactly do normal people live in DC? Do they all commute from Virginia/Maryland or does everyone have 5 roommates?

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

Yes, I like my job quite a bit, but I'm no longer a lawyer, so that has a lot to do with it. Just needs to pay more. If not for the stupid law school loans I'd be fine.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Don't listen to anybody who describes DC as "full of hipsters" about DC.

Arlington sucks. One of the best things about DC is that if you live within a certain radius, you can walk to almost anywhere that's worth walking to. And DC is a beautiful and great city for walking around. Arlington apartments are bigger, but not really cheaper. There are nice neighborhoods in DC with reasonable apartment prices. And the bars in Arlington are populated by thousands of clones of the same boring douchey bro who thinks he's the poo poo.

I recommend you go to Padmapper.com and just sort of glide around DC to get an idea of prices. I would give you suggestions, but there are so many neighborhoods in DC and it depends on your priorities.

On the other hand, Arlington is way better than DC. From many places in Arlington you're literally closer to downtown than most of DC. You have your own nearby bars, you can get to DC bars after work or on the metro from home easily enough. Saying Arlington is all 23 year old bros bragging about their sweet job on the hill is about as accurate as saying DC is all PBR swigging mustachioed hipsters bragging about their sweet job collecting signatures at the top of the metro.

Which is cheaper is complicated. They both feature a range of apartment sizes and qualities at varying distances from the metro and places you want to be. Arlington still has some great deals in older smaller apartments but they're getting torn down and replaced by expensive high rises every month that passes.

Then there's the crime issue. People in DC like to hand wave it away, but you have a vastly increased chance of being the victim of a break-in or a mugging if you're in DC.

10-8 posted:

Well gently caress. I did some looking around and to get a place in DC comparable to what I have now I'd need about a $20,000 cost of living adjustment just to break even. And it's not like Chicago is cheap. Where exactly do normal people live in DC? Do they all commute from Virginia/Maryland or does everyone have 5 roommates?

Either roommates or you live way the gently caress out there.

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Allen-Edmonds has a pretty good sale going on right now. Looks like about 30% off a bunch of shoes, which will knock off about $100 from most of their shoes.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/