Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

I can only speak for the 90s Taurus and STS, but they're both regarded as utter garbage in my part of the world.

The only other large American car to make it out here was the 300c which is regarded as better but still not worth buying.

That model Taurus is hardly a "large car" by American standards.

The original Taurus also kind of blew people's minds and radically changed car styling industry-wide.

assfucker420 posted:

Yes, in 1935.

What? No, until like the 60s at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cream_Filling posted:

What? No, until like the 60s at least.

We still own. No one can build a gigantic gas guzzler like we can. The cars just turned into SUVs in the 80s.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Elephanthead posted:

We still own. No one can build a gigantic gas guzzler like we can. The cars just turned into SUVs in the 80s.

Well, Australia makes a good effort. And like one or two models from Japan.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Elephanthead posted:

Also, the SUVs turned into plastic, committee-designed monstrosities. Nobody can pretend that Cadillac maintained its dignity in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. It's good that the American auto industry in general is making a comeback, but that doesn't change the fact that "The Cadillac of..." is used only satirically now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bidikyoopi posted:

Also, the SUVs turned into plastic, committee-designed monstrosities. Nobody can pretend that Cadillac maintained its dignity in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. It's good that the American auto industry in general is making a comeback, but that doesn't change the fact that "The Cadillac of..." is used only satirically now.

I actually quite like the look of the 90s El Dorado, especially in red.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

dissss posted:

I can only speak for the 90s Taurus and STS, but they're both regarded as utter garbage in my part of the world.

The only other large American car to make it out here was the 300c which is regarded as better but still not worth buying.

Outside of the US, large cars were pretty much limited to the high end luxury class and did not make fair comparisons to American large cars that were priced tends of thousands of dollars less. We are talking comparisons to the Avalon, not the S class or LS

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I got to test drive the first C-Max delivered to a Las Vegas dealership, about 2 hours after it rolled off the truck, and 15 minutes after they detailed it. It is a very impressive car! Drives well, peppy...enough, great indicated mileage, solid feel, nice interior, quiet, and spacious as HELL! I could definitely see myself owning one next model year or so.
Your casual post made me think that everyone here knows what C-Max is, and feeling left out, I've googled the name. Is it Mazda5 with a Ford badge or is there more to it? Is that the actual model name they chose? Seemax?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Your casual post made me think that everyone here knows what C-Max is, and feeling left out, I've googled the name. Is it Mazda5 with a Ford badge or is there more to it? Is that the actual model name they chose? Seemax?

It's a taller Focus. There's certainly some connection between that and a Mazda5, but the Mazda5 is on the older C1 platform, while the C-Max is on the Global C platform (which is an evolution of the former, I'm pretty sure). And yeah, that's what they call them.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

CornHolio posted:

I actually quite like the look of the 90s El Dorado, especially in red.

One car does not a successful marque make.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Autoblog posted their First Drive of the new Fusion:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/24/2013-ford-fusion-first-drive-review-video/

I loving hate Autoblog comments, besides the usual "Ford copied Aston Martin" drivel, there are some really horrible trolls.

quote:

Unfortunately it is still an American car, so it will be unreliable and fall apart in a few years, have a rental car grade interior, and guzzle gas. Japanese cars FTW.

quote:

Stupid Ford should have gone bankrupt instead of getting government bailout! They just support Obummer and unions and want to wake us Commies. They wanna destry Amerca. We caint let them!

:ughh:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I would think spelling out "caint" would imply that is a joke comment, but given youtube I'm not willing to stand by that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Outside of the US, large cars were pretty much limited to the high end luxury class and did not make fair comparisons to American large cars that were priced tends of thousands of dollars less. We are talking comparisons to the Avalon, not the S class or LS

I'm not talking about compared to an expensive model, but compared to a Maxima or Diamante or Falcodore which were all comparable in price (actually the Taurus was somewhat more expensive than a Falcon when it was released)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Luxury truck wars are heating up, Chevy is introducing a new line of upper trimmed Silverados dubbed "High Country". While Ford is going even higher with a 6th luxury trim called "Limited".

quote:

DETROIT -- General Motors plans a luxury trim level for its next-generation Chevrolet Silverado pickup, its answer to the leather-swathed top offerings of its rivals.

GM will name the model the High Country, according to dealers briefed on the plans during a national Chevy dealer meeting this month in Las Vegas.

It's a response to the proliferation of high-end pickup models, such as Ford's F-150 King Ranch and Limited and Ram's Laramie Longhorn, which have sticker prices that can top $50,000. Ford, for example, now offers five luxury F-150 trims that account for nearly one-third of the nameplate's sales.

GM executives didn't describe the new model's content in detail or discuss price, dealers said. A GM spokesman declined to comment on the plans.

"They said it would have a Western flair and unique leather," says one dealer who attended the meeting. "They basically said, 'If it's on the King Ranch, we're going to have it.' "

The planned High Country model underscores the seemingly insatiable appetite for luxury full-sized pickups, as automakers continue to test the price ceiling of the truck market.

In coming weeks, Ford will up the ante with its most luxurious F-150, the Limited, which has a sticker price of $53,450, including shipping, and has a moonroof, heated and cooled seats, rain-sensing windshield wipers and 22-inch polished aluminum wheels. It will join four other F-150 luxury trims: King Ranch, Platinum, Raptor and Lariat.

The 2009 launch of the Platinum, which was the priciest F-150 before the Limited, emboldened Ford to go even further up the premium ladder. Despite hitting the market during a severe recession, the Platinum's sales hit 6 percent of overall F-150 sales -- double Ford's expectation, a spokesman says.

Today, Chevy's priciest pickup is the Silverado 1500 crew cab LTZ, which stickers for $43,435, including shipping, and features standard remote start and dual-zone climate control. That's nearly $4,000 below the Ram 1500's most expensive model, the Laramie Longhorn crew cab, and about $10,000 below the forthcoming F-150 Limited.

Chevy dealers long have clamored for a top-level trim with more bling and a catchy name, says Tom Durant, owner of Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, Texas, one of the nation's largest Chevy dealers. He also owns a Ford dealership.

"It's something we've been asking for for a long time. We don't have a distinctive premium pickup," Durant says. "Customers will walk into my Ford store and say, 'I want to buy a King Ranch.' But when you say 'Silverado,' it could be any number of things."

GM's decision to offer a luxury-level trim for Chevrolet has been complicated by the fact that GMC is the company's premium truck brand. GM execs have been trying for years to create more separation between the two brands.

GMC has had success with its Denali up-level trim on its Sierra 1500, the Silverado's platform mate. The Silverado's High Country model likely would compete in the same price range.

Still, there should be room for luxury offerings from both brands, says Dave Sullivan, a product analyst at research firm AutoPacific Inc. Despite the shared platforms and powertrains of the Silverado and Sierra, the staunch allegiances ingrained in pickup buyers would prevent many from switching between the two, he says.

"A higher-end Chevy gives GMC the ability to move up. And Chevy can also move up," Sullivan says. "There's no reason GM's volume pickup brand shouldn't have something to go up against" the premium offerings of Ford and Ram.

Sullivan adds that the price of the Denali version on the next-generation Sierra 1500 could jump partly because of the expected discontinuation of the Cadillac Escalade EXT pickup, which shares the same platform and is priced at $64,055, including shipping.

EXT production is likely to end after the redesigned Escalade hits the market by late next year. The redesigned Silverado and Sierra are expected to arrive in showrooms in the summer.

High Country resurrects the name of a package on the Chevy Blazer that GM offered in the 1980s. The High Country Blazer had gold wheels and badges with shiny black paint on the upper exterior that faded into gold on the lower body.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120924/RETAIL07/309249964#ixzz27Rkeh9ZZ

I'm surprised that the King Ranch, Lariat, Platinum and Raptor make up a third of F-series sales.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A coworker gave the classic "I couldn't even tell it was a Ford when I got inside!" today. She was talking about a few years old Excursion :eng99:

bidikyoopi posted:

One car does not a successful marque make.

Most successful boutique supercar brands pretty much work this way.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

A coworker gave the classic "I couldn't even tell it was a Ford when I got inside!" today. She was talking about a few years old Excursion :eng99:

This sounds like support for that argument that the Ranger, the Crown Victoria, and the E-series van, put together, set Ford's brand image back 20 years, since those are the Fords people most commonly ride around in and their interiors haven't really changed since the late 90s.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Having driven a Mazda 5, and now driven the C-Max, I can say without a doubt that I like the C-Max a lot more. It may be a touch less engaging, but the interior is infinitely nicer, and you just can't say no to 47mpg.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm surprised that the King Ranch, Lariat, Platinum and Raptor make up a third of F-series sales.

I don't get the "Luxury pickup" thing at all. So many people at work have them too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I don't get the "Luxury pickup" thing at all. So many people at work have them too.

So you can load it up with Tapout stickers, jack it up 36 inches, and maybe tow something 10 miles twice per year when you are not trying to drive it like an M3 and weaving in and out of traffic and spewing diesel exhaust all over. MANLY MEN spend $60k on pickup trucks! :911:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Spatule posted:

New Jaguar F-Type leaked on Facebook or something:

I get strong Japanese Maserati vibes from it.
Wow. Very pretty car.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Jag rep at car show in january swore up and down that it was going to be $60k. We'll see.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

fknlo posted:

They are the natural evolution of the 1970s Detroit Personal Luxury Car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

coolskillrex remix posted:

Jag rep at car show in january swore up and down that it was going to be $60k. We'll see.

I've heard this too. The XK droptop starts at 85K with the V8, so that sounds a shade low to me - I think mid-upper 60s would still make a lot of sense.

I don't love the front of the F-Type but god drat that profile looks good.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

fknlo posted:

I understand for people who tow with them on a daily basis. My step-father has a 2011 F-350 Lariat. Aside from riding a little rough, the interior is inviting and comfortable. God for long hauls.

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
Well really you're better off with a luxury pickup than a luxury SUV if you're in the market for something like that, it has just as much room for people with the extra utility of a larger cargo area. Even those short bed Cadillacs and Lincolns, while not a huge fan of, I can see why there is a bit of a market for them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't care for the rear of the new Fusion, looks way too much like a Focus to me.

fknlo posted:

Here in Texas it's a status symbol. If you're not rolling a F150/250 King Ranch or a F150 Platinum you ain't poo poo. Occasionally I'll see a loaded up Denali or Ram Longhorn/Limited, but it does seem like here in Central Texas it's Ford country. San Antonio did get a Toyota plant a few years ago where they make Tundra's so you see lots of those as well. They need to make a top of the line trim package so people here will buy more of them.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Autoblog has images of the new GTI - er, "design study"

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/vw-golf-gti-concept/#photo-5315568/

Kinda surprised how slow they're reporting it is, unless it's underrated or particularly heavy

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

blk posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/vw-golf-gti-concept/#photo-5315568/

Kinda surprised how slow they're reporting it is, unless it's underrated or particularly heavy

6.5 seconds 0-60 is slow for a hot hatch? :confused:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

For a second I thought "That's new?", but the differences do become apparent when compared with the current model. I haven't driven a GTI since the Mk5 came to the US, but I remember the DSG being extremely fun and the car feeling plenty quick. I don't know if I could pick one over a Focus ST though if I were shopping the two.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KozmoNaut posted:

6.5 seconds 0-60 is slow for a hot hatch? :confused:

My unmodified 1996 NG900 SE hatch does it in 6.7 [E: with a 4 gear slushbox]. It also has 125,000 miles on it. v:q:v

Viggen fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 26, 2012

the chic in psychic
Jun 18, 2005
U r Stinky Mcbutt mkay?

Viggen posted:

My unmodified 1996 NG900 SE hatch does it in 6.7 [E: with a 4 gear slushbox]. It also has 125,000 miles on it. v:q:v

And, is not a hot hatch?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SouthLAnd posted:

For a second I thought "That's new?", but the differences do become apparent when compared with the current model. I haven't driven a GTI since the Mk5 came to the US, but I remember the DSG being extremely fun and the car feeling plenty quick. I don't know if I could pick one over a Focus ST though if I were shopping the two.

The A6 GTI is really quite good actually but it's been outclassed on paper by basically everything. I think it's still pretty competitive, but a little more power and quite a bit less weight will really help things along.

I'll probably be cross shopping the A7 against the ST in the next 18 months. I may post a thread.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

the chic in psychic posted:

And, is not a hot hatch?

It's still pretty awesome, and <7sec 0-60 for an aging grocery getter that does 30mpg mixed isn't bad; "hot hatches" should be faster than they are was the point.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'll probably be cross shopping the A7 against the ST in the next 18 months. I may post a thread.

That would be neat. I actually just got a Focus hatchback last week and my dealer had 3 ST's on the lot (all ST2 packages). Some guy pulled up in a Nissan Altima SE-R and spent a solid 5 minutes just walking around a red one and staring lovingly at it. I didn't get a chance to drive one but if it basically improves upon my car in every way, then it should be fantastic.

This reviewer in this video that showed up in my youtube homepage swears the ST is better than the current GTI. Plus it sounds good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Oe_KyqUk&t=406s
(time-advanced to fun part)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Viggen posted:

It's still pretty awesome, and <7sec 0-60 for an aging grocery getter that does 30mpg mixed isn't bad; "hot hatches" should be faster than they are was the point.

Hot hatches aren't really about straight-line speed, they're about tearing around roundabouts and deserted b-roads, cocking the inside rear wheel and outhandling cars that cost many times their price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I fully believe that the ST is better than the A6 GTI. I'm curious about the A7. I'll probably also cross-shop the WRX of that time period, the MS3, the GTI, the ST and the Abarth.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
does anyone know how many ST's they're making? Generally, I know it depends on how well it sells but is the plan to make them sort of like a Mustang GT to V6 or a more limited quantity?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KozmoNaut posted:

Hot hatches aren't really about straight-line speed, they're about tearing around roundabouts and deserted b-roads, cocking the inside rear wheel and outhandling cars that cost many times their price.

Guilty as charged, but not sure why an older hatch which is no longer made, and is still comparable to recent hatches is disqualified..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Viggen posted:

Guilty as charged, but not sure why an older hatch which is no longer made, and is still comparable to recent hatches is disqualified..

It's not the same class of car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not the same class of car.

Ok? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

does anyone know how many ST's they're making? Generally, I know it depends on how well it sells but is the plan to make them sort of like a Mustang GT to V6 or a more limited quantity?

I don't think it's particularly limited but I wouldn't expect more than 5-10k/year.