Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

is that a real rms

and based on the phrasing, is it actually something where he like stopped some dude's presentation to spew all that sperg

cause wow
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i'd+just+like+to+interject+for+a+moment

edit: chooch :argh:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i%27d+just+like+to+interject+for+a+moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

mods namechange posted:

drat now i want marshmallows :(

same, and if you're like me, you don't really want any stats right now

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Just think, if Ian follows Jawn's advice, we could be seeing hot reporters pointing at maps n poo poo on CNN with powered by Statpedia® in they corners.

Actually maybe Jawn should just make statpedia

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

if anyone competent was making statpedia it would take maybe 2 people and 0 kickstarters

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
and endless wireframes dont frget the pages and pages and pages of wireframes

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
hmm, what does my startup need before a working product...

middle management and an office, thats it

sorry i know this is old news but seriously

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
photoshop cs6, axure licenses for the mockups and web design even though im just using twitter bootstrap

wow running a business costs a lot of money, but i know i can do anything i put my mind to

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

0xB16B00B5 posted:

hmm, what does my startup need before a working product...

middle management and an office, thats it

sorry i know this is old news but seriously

the reverse is true when its time to reduce costs

"well we can't fire the managers, without them we be lost! line level folks are expendable, i mean if they're so smart then how come they didn't advance into management?"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

"if they're so smart then how come they didn't advance into management?"

this is true but not for the reasons they think

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ericadia posted:

Actually maybe Jawn should just make statpedia

Jawn make the statpedia

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

maniacdevnull posted:

the reverse is true when its time to reduce costs

"well we can't fire the managers, without them we be lost! line level folks are expendable, i mean if they're so smart then how come they didn't advance into management?"

or just stick a travel ban on them so the few effective ones are hobbled and everything can crumble directionlessly, then everyone can go after a long slow tanking.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Jawn make the statpedia

i concur with the assessment that it's a solution in search of a problem

there's one obvious problem that would take the least effort to tune statpedia to, but since Ian's never heard the phrase "likely voter" he can't slap it together in the 41 days that somebody would give a poo poo

seriously it's the one time every 4 years that statistics is meaningful to a lot of people and we're here on a computer joke forum with Serious Questions about the tone of the discussion. after this window, the only people who will care about statistics and amateur toolsets are fantasy sports wonks

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

i concur with the assessment that it's a solution in search of a problem

there's one obvious problem that would take the least effort to tune statpedia to, but since Ian's never heard the phrase "likely voter" he can't slap it together in the 41 days that somebody would give a poo poo

seriously it's the one time every 4 years that statistics is meaningful to a lot of people and we're here on a computer joke forum with Serious Questions about the tone of the discussion. after this window, the only people who will care about statistics and amateur toolsets are fantasy sports wonks
your argument with losethos was way more interesting than this one

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yeah if i can make a request, pls make sure the next crazy we invite has some asm experience

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

JawnV6 posted:

yeah if i can make a request, pls make sure the next crazy we invite has some asm experience

he can do anything jawn he said so. i'm sure asm would take him 3 days, a week max, to pick up

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
btw here's the extant pretty frontends:
http://www.270towin.com/
http://electoralmap.net

so i'm saying you hook one of THOSE up to some polling data and the user just specifies a model (e.g. use rasmussen only, assume R+10 turnout and I's go 80% R) that will automagically update with new polling data when available

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
so is statpedia supposed to make money for you somehow? like, people will give you money for the completed product? is the uncertainty on the kickstarter page meant to build confidence. could you show me a stat to clear all of this up?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Deacon of Delicious posted:

so is statpedia supposed to make money for you somehow?

he's using a tried and true revenue generating method

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
it worked for wikileaks and that was led by a serial rapist

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

0xB16B00B5 posted:

it worked for wikileaks and that was led by a serial rapist

no you naive idiot clearly that is a conspiracy by the us government to extradite him from sweden when he goes to trial because the uk is so anti us and wont extradite him ever

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

automagically

stop using this word tia

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

its a fine word to use hth

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

Proteus4994 posted:

he's using a tried and true revenue generating method

wikipedia is always asking for money, even though people sorta care about wikipedia

ian, you are doomed

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

A personal appeal from Statpedia founder Ian McLean

"plz help me with my sql homework"

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Proteus4994 posted:

A personal appeal from Statpedia founder Ian McLean

"plz help me with my sql homework"

ian, I am having a hard time believing that you are for real at this point. Like, nobody for real knows so little about the world around their goals and yet professes to be an expert driving a real goal or whatever. we got hard reality hitting u, and yet you keep comin back askin for somebody else to build ur poo poo for you.

u trollin real good but I'm on to you.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

ian, I am having a hard time believing that you are for real at this point.

oh i'm not convinced he's real but the appeal of believing that he's for real and is this ignorant and deluded and about to enter graduate school at a uc campus is just too loving much. i want to believe so bad. :(

ian let me know when you're presenting research and i'll drive over from work and watch not even kidding here

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
i really hope julian assange gets to live

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

i was serious when i was asking about the uncertainty. "seems like a reliable method" "last i checked" "everyone is pulling at this stat system in different directions" "a lot of directions this project can go" i mean what the heck! you don't seem like you know what you are doing, or even what you want to do

also if you think you can "Work out every last little kink before official release in one year from now" holy looooooool

ian, you are doomed

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
ian should be driving the train but he's sat in the station trying to explain why he doesn't know where the train is

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
guhys i have a kickstarrter

gimme 100000000 dolllars cash money

and i will give you all kickstarters in which you can ask otehrs for money
no way this cna fail! just get enough people to donate, adn then you hlep them start THEIR own kcikstartesr

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Dr. Honked posted:

ian should be driving the train but he's sat in the station trying to explain why he doesn't know where the train is

train trys really hard, but sometimes train is late and people get mad and write on train's house

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
last time the train was here, it was so cool, you shoulda seen it

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

i paid money where is train

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

CaptainMeatpants posted:

i paid money where is train

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

momrock

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

oh dear god

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

:froggonk:

these are my favorite ones from that tumblr

http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com/post/26911265228/the-stupid-nerds-from-penny-arcade-made-a
http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com/post/26913817446/things-people-have-pointed-out-about-the-penny

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

$5000 gets you a night of playing video games with the PA guys, but you have to get to Seattle yourself.

lmao

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com/post/31203474553/no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
lol @ the penny arcade thing. it just goes to show that you can be as cynical and exploitative as you like, kickstarter itself is immune

• Locked thread