Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Awesome, it and it's sequel is what I was thinking of. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
There was a game I played in a arcade once. I believe it was a side scroller where you were a pirate and you fought with a sword. I don't remember much but I think the first level is a pirate ship (obviously) and the first boss was in a cave. You had to fight Medusa and there was a mirror so you had to fight her from behind because if you faced her she would turn you into stone.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
That sounds very much like Skull & Crossbones.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

I'm not sure if that was it. If I remember the animation looked a little like Prince of Persia.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mr Cynicism posted:

I'm not sure if that was it. If I remember the animation looked a little like Prince of Persia.

This barely even fits your criteria, but I immediately thought of Arabian Fight.

I think I thought of it because it starts on a ship.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 24, 2012

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

No but that poo poo looks pretty cool.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Plinth posted:

That sounds very much like Skull & Crossbones.

Wow, this was my favorite Game on the nes. I had no idea it was an arcade game too!

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I remember an old computer program that came with my old Pentium One Aptiva (or possibly the printer), but can't think for the life of me of what it was called. It was an odd mixture of game and word processor, where you went through some kind of office building and there was a 'wacky' purple guy who looked a little like a skinny Mr. Dink from Doug who would guide you through it. I specifically remember they would tell you a spooky story about a vanishing point. Does anyone know what this thing was called?

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

I think this game was for the SNES and it was a side scroller arcade type game, if I recall correctly - Very similar to Joe & Mac.

All I remember was that the premise was that your girlfriend/wife/indentured servant and yourself are on a plateau while she is delousing your hair or something and while doing so something happens (aliens or something comes) and she gets turned to stone :ohdear: and boom quest starts!

Not much to go on, but I've never been able to find the title again.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

furiouskoala posted:

I remember an old computer program that came with my old Pentium One Aptiva (or possibly the printer), but can't think for the life of me of what it was called. It was an odd mixture of game and word processor, where you went through some kind of office building and there was a 'wacky' purple guy who looked a little like a skinny Mr. Dink from Doug who would guide you through it. I specifically remember they would tell you a spooky story about a vanishing point. Does anyone know what this thing was called?

Creative Writer!!! loving legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Writer

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

CrunchyTaco posted:

I think this game was for the SNES and it was a side scroller arcade type game, if I recall correctly - Very similar to Joe & Mac.

All I remember was that the premise was that your girlfriend/wife/indentured servant and yourself are on a plateau while she is delousing your hair or something and while doing so something happens (aliens or something comes) and she gets turned to stone :ohdear: and boom quest starts!

Not much to go on, but I've never been able to find the title again.

Super Adventure Island

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I didn't play it and don't remember much about this game except that it was a futuristic, cover-based, third-person shooter?, the main character had a Xena boomerang chakram thing and it's a couple years old. It may have been a console game. I saw some guy (Gyoru?) streaming it years ago never got the name of it.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 27, 2012

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

I didn't play it and don't remember much about this game except that it was a futuristic, cover-based, third-person shooter?, the main character had a Xena boomerang chakram thing and it's a couple years old. It may have been a console game. I saw some guy (Gyoru?) streaming it years ago never got the name of it.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?
Dark Sector

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I'm so sorry for dragging this thread out of the depths of Hell, but this has been driving me INSANE.

There is a piece of cover art in my head that I am CERTAIN is real, as in it makes up a significant memory of my childhood. It's for a football (as in soccer) game. I was convinced it was a 90s style colour drawing of Ruud Gullit with his head thrown back, arms in the air in celebration and I was also convinced it was Italia '90 on the master system. It seems that it is not.

Either my childhood memories are all a lie or I got the wrong game. It might not be Gullit, I tried Maradona but to no avail. Just so you know, I'm not thinking of Kick Off 2, but it looks like that except the footballer is directly facing the camera.

Oh good god help me.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

This is the closest to your description I think.

I thought I'd try this one just for the "looking at the camera" description.

This guy looks the most like Gullit I could find so I thought I'd throw it in.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!
Gullit is on the cover of Italia 1990 for Amiga, but it's not a drawing and hardly a celebratory pose.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Maybe it's a false memory. I hate poo poo like this!

For assistance, it was like this, but stood up and mainly just the torso, with the graphics / cool 90s effects / text obscuring the rest of the body:

Maybe I totally made it up.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I've just been watching Life on Mars and remembered a Dreamcast game that I just can't grasp the exact name of.

You're a person in a coma, fighting other people in comas, in some kind of simulation. You're in cars/ships sort of like Wipeout except your fighting in an futuristic arena. It might have been a launch title or at least came out in the first couple of months.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Sorry for another necrobump, but I've been driving myself crazy trying to remember the name of an old browser based game.

The game was called something similar to metropolis. The objective was to reach a certain cash level where you would then be promoted to the next tier of more expensive cities. In order to make money, you would buy plots of land and build stores (later condos and sky scrapers) which would generate an income. Your opponents could then bomb your stores in an attempt to steal your properties. The costs scaled with the type of building, and you could add security to increase the chances of sending your opponent to jail and costing them money.

Also, as you gained more money, you could purchase a better HQ and gain access to higher tier buildings including non-income generating buildings such as high-tech research facilities that would give you access to new abilities like the nuclear strike (which was prohibitively expensive, but could wipe out a good sized chunk of the map). I remember having a ton of fun with it back in the early 2000s, but either I'm searching for the wrong game, or it's been taken down by this point.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I remember playing a game with my sister as a kid for the Atari 2600. All I remember is that you could drop a diamond and it would grow into more diamonds, but other people in the area would try to pick the diamonds up as well. There was also a train that you could ride in the game, and you could sneak on without a ticket if you waited until the last second.

Anyone got a clue?

e: Nevermind! It was Agent USA!

Chaitai fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 19, 2012

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I remember reading about an adventure game as a kid, sometime in the 90s.
Death was gone or on holiday or something, you needed to find him.
I think the magazine mentioned an opening musical number "That's Death"
You were a vampire and could suck rats for their blood.
It might have been sierra, but scrolling down wikipedia's list of games published by sierra didn't reveal anything that looked like it.
That's pretty much all I remember, and I would like to know the title.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Discworld 2. Eric Idle performed that little number.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

scamtank posted:

Discworld 2. Eric Idle performed that little number.

Thanks, I was led astray because I thought that it was in a modern world but yeah, that fits everything.

Deceased Crab
Dec 31, 2006

You're going to pay for this!!!
Okay, this one isn't a computer or videogame. It was on pieces of paper. And there were like a hojillion scratch off circles and rules for which ones you had to scratch off when. And the idea was to find X amount of blah blah before uncovering a certain number of other ones. And they came with small plastic (dime sized) coins for scratching off the little silver covers. And there were over a dozen varieties of them. And each one was worth a certain amount of points towards prizes like yoyos and crap if you sent them in. This was circa 1994.

The ones I remember involve exposing your teacher as a vampire, and a 2 player one where you were samurai robots or some crap and fought each other's armies.

What the hell were these things called?

Deceased Crab fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 23, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Those are just called scratch-off game cards, as far as I know. I have a few Nintendo ones, which were released by Topps in 1989. They made others, but all I'm finding from a quick search is sports-themed ones. Don't know what other companies may have manufactured them.

Feltch
Jul 22, 2005
Okay, I'm after a computer game that I would have played around 1997 to 2000. From what I remember it was a puzzle game or an educational game.
I remember that the main page from where you chose the puzzles was a brain. Different areas of the brain lit up to reflect different types of puzzles that you could choose from. For example, if I chose the cerebral cortex, it would probably take me to a puzzle that the cerebral cortex was responsible for, ie. music.
The music puzzle was to arrange a jumbled up score for a classical piece of music into its correct order.

The presentation was 2d, cartoony and had great narration and was somewhat serious. Please, can anyone remember this game at all?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Feltch posted:

Okay, I'm after a computer game that I would have played around 1997 to 2000. From what I remember it was a puzzle game or an educational game.
I remember that the main page from where you chose the puzzles was a brain. Different areas of the brain lit up to reflect different types of puzzles that you could choose from. For example, if I chose the cerebral cortex, it would probably take me to a puzzle that the cerebral cortex was responsible for, ie. music.
The music puzzle was to arrange a jumbled up score for a classical piece of music into its correct order.

The presentation was 2d, cartoony and had great narration and was somewhat serious. Please, can anyone remember this game at all?

The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain sounds about right.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, gotta be The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain. Most of the narration was from a talking rat, right?

Feltch
Jul 22, 2005
Yes that is right! Thank you!

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009
I've got 3 that you savants might be able to help me with:

1. Racing game on the PS1, like Micro Machines (birds-eye view) but 3D. There were different cars to choose from and the circuits were quite small. If you fell off the edges your car exploded. I think the disk was red and said VROOM on it?

2. Educational(?) puzzle game on the PC. The characters were a brown and a black squirrel-thing, and you moved around in a little pod thing on a rollercoaster/train track... IN SPACE! You could go to different locations (and times, I think).

3. This is a very long shot, but there was a flash game which had coloured circles on a grey background. They connected to each other and the physics were quite elastic. You had to clump them all together to win.

Any of these sparking anyone's synapses? :)

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Im looking for a SNES title, it had an odd sort of gameplay in that you could 'build' a town, which could catch on fire and have other things happen to it, but the important part is that is also had a 2d side scroller/adventure type game where you controlled a sword-wielding knight, and this somehow helped or founded the town itself.

You also had an advisor that was a little cherub angel.

Any help with this? I remember playing it quite a bit over at a friends house..

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Thors Bitch! posted:

Im looking for a SNES title, it had an odd sort of gameplay in that you could 'build' a town, which could catch on fire and have other things happen to it, but the important part is that is also had a 2d side scroller/adventure type game where you controlled a sword-wielding knight, and this somehow helped or founded the town itself.

Actraiser. One of the greats.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Thors Bitch! posted:

This one's definitely Actraiser. Hell of a fun game.

And going back just a bit...

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Back in the early to mid 90s, my dad had this semi-turn based, semi-real time strategy war game for the Macintosh. The units (tanks, infantry, air, naval units) were little squares, and when you moved it to another part on the map, it would show this projected line of where it was going. The teams were only colored red and blue but the scenarios were WW2 or Vietnam or Modern War or Future War. I thought the title had an acronym in it but I'm pulling a blank. Not a lot to go on, but I would appreciate any help!

That's Command HQ I believe.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Babunar posted:

3. This is a very long shot, but there was a flash game which had coloured circles on a grey background. They connected to each other and the physics were quite elastic. You had to clump them all together to win.

Does this look familiar?

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009

.DAT Azz posted:

Does this look familiar?

No, thanks anyway though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kammat posted:

This one's definitely Actraiser. Hell of a fun game.

It was, though I was never able to finish it. If I recall correctly the last platform section you have to fight all the previous bosses without a break or something like that, and I could never do it without running out of lives.

Babunar posted:

Sounds a little bit like Boomshine, but I don't think that's it.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks all! I figured it wouldn't take too long for the mighty goonmind to figure that one out, but 5 minutes fast? drat.

Craftics
Jan 31, 2006

fuckin yeah
Guys I need some help! I've been racking my brain trying to think of an older puzzle game I had on an android phone and I can't figure it out and I'm going to freak out.

You started with an empty apartment building and had to fill it with tenants. In order to get a tenant to move in you had to complete a puzzle/matching game a la Bust a Move or Bejeweled, except instead of marbles or jewels you matched these colorful little cartoony character guys. When you beat the level one of the silly little cartoon character dudes would move in to your apartment.

As time went on and you fill up your apartment building you would have to manage your tenants. Sometimes neighbors would hate each other and you would have to separate them, iirc you could buy upgrades for rooms and collect rent.

That's all I can remember!

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
I bully, on the internet.
I'm thinking of an interactive fiction / choose your own adventure type game (black screen, still graphic above, white text below) from about the Apple II and DOS era, maybe a little later.

It's an escape from Transylvania type game but it's one that's multiple choice (with little to no actual typing), where you mostly just press one, two, three or four to decide what to do next. Obviously if you choose the wrong option (like trusting someone who approaches, or not), you die and start all over.

However, at times there are also moving graphics (Atari-level quality) where you have to briefly and quickly control your character, such as needing to parachute down to a small raft below, using the directional keys. When you succeed these mini-games, the story resumes.

I've been asking people and investigating on and off for years now, any clues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

InternetBully posted:

I'm thinking of an interactive fiction / choose your own adventure type game (black screen, still graphic above, white text below) from about the Apple II and DOS era, maybe a little later.

It's an escape from Transylvania type game but it's one that's multiple choice (with little to no actual typing), where you mostly just press one, two, three or four to decide what to do next. Obviously if you choose the wrong option (like trusting someone who approaches, or not), you die and start all over.

However, at times there are also moving graphics (Atari-level quality) where you have to briefly and quickly control your character, such as needing to parachute down to a small raft below, using the directional keys. When you succeed these mini-games, the story resumes.

I've been asking people and investigating on and off for years now, any clues?
I remember Dracula in London playing a little bit like that, though honestly it is kind of hard to tell whether this is what you remember (certainly the limited interactivity is there, I forgot if there were action sequences though).