Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Got here june last year. So you were probably gone right before I got there, or shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Saho posted:

The world is backwards on that map. This frightens me.

Yeah I had to stare at it for a while before it made sense to me.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I'm 31 years old in a completely unrelated field. I have a decent (but certainly not in depth) understanding of US culture and government.

I better start reading.

Just remember that this isn't an honors thesis or anything. General pop-history books will be more than enough and just read a summary of three branches and the constitution. Basically don't stress out over it.

raito
Sep 13, 2012
Hey, new guy here. I'm currently an undergrad at American University and am definitely interested in foreign service (as is pretty much everyone at this school). I'm wondering, though, about graduate school - should I go into law school with maybe a focus on international law, or should I just continue with my current major (International Studies) and get an MA in International Relations? I'd like to get my PhD eventually, but that's quite a while away.

Was thinking about going into the Peace Corps after I get my Bachelor's. Maybe see if I can get a Fulbright grant, but that's super competitive so not sure about that!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

the_chavi posted:

Yeah I had to stare at it for a while before it made sense to me.

those are the best kind of maps. I had a map that was inverted. almost nobody caught it, until someone from Australia visited and was wondering "why new zealand's west coast was east of us"

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

raito posted:

Hey, new guy here. I'm currently an undergrad at American University and am definitely interested in foreign service (as is pretty much everyone at this school). I'm wondering, though, about graduate school - should I go into law school with maybe a focus on international law, or should I just continue with my current major (International Studies) and get an MA in International Relations? I'd like to get my PhD eventually, but that's quite a while away.

Was thinking about going into the Peace Corps after I get my Bachelor's. Maybe see if I can get a Fulbright grant, but that's super competitive so not sure about that!

If you want to work in the Foreign Service you should just take the test every year offered until you get a job offer from State.

If you're looking at graduate degrees in the event it takes you a few tries to get in with State, a good master's degree is preferable to a law degree, assuming you want to do policy work. In fact, unless you want to work as a lawyer (and not the international kind), any field of study will be better than law school.

Frankly, one tour doing policy work with State will outstrip the utility of any IR master's education, so if you can do it, take the job earlier rather than later.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
On the job experience: Best Experience

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Saho posted:

The world is backwards on that map. This frightens me.

Pivot to the Pacific? :lol:

And 68 pages? Psh, that's nothing. Try cracking open the DoD's JFTR sometime...last time I checked Volume 1 (not counting appendices) was 824 pages. There is also a Volume 2 (it's not quite as long, only 600+ pages...again, not counting appendices).

Thanks for the responses to my questions earlier in the thread...in line with the 68 page evacuation document, here's one more: what's the level of admin bullshit working as a FSO? Keep in mind that I am currently an AF officer so my threshold for admin bullshit is quite high, and I understand that there is going to be some level of it regarding job stuff combined with the nature of the beast in working for the federal government, but I'm specifically asking about stuff not necessarily related to direct job performance. For example, when I was running a flight I probably spent at least half of my time on performance reports, awards packages, and other paperwork poo poo that had nothing to do with my direct job...just wondering what the average breakdown is for FSOs...does it vary depending on cone? (Management has more of it, perhaps?)

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Pivot to the Pacific? :lol:

And 68 pages? Psh, that's nothing. Try cracking open the DoD's JFTR sometime...last time I checked Volume 1 (not counting appendices) was 824 pages. There is also a Volume 2 (it's not quite as long, only 600+ pages...again, not counting appendices).

Thanks for the responses to my questions earlier in the thread...in line with the 68 page evacuation document, here's one more: what's the level of admin bullshit working as a FSO? Keep in mind that I am currently an AF officer so my threshold for admin bullshit is quite high, and I understand that there is going to be some level of it regarding job stuff combined with the nature of the beast in working for the federal government, but I'm specifically asking about stuff not necessarily related to direct job performance. For example, when I was running a flight I probably spent at least half of my time on performance reports, awards packages, and other paperwork poo poo that had nothing to do with my direct job...just wondering what the average breakdown is for FSOs...does it vary depending on cone? (Management has more of it, perhaps?)

It is minimal during one's first few tours and increases as one moves into management. In larger offices and sections, the deputy tends to spend a considerable amount of time keeping things running. It is worth noting, though, that as generalists the admin part is as much a core part of the job as the operational or policy parts. I don't know that it varies by cone. As a manager, I try to shield my subordinates as much as possible from admin stuff to let them focus on the other aspects of the job.

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

Business of Ferrets posted:

If you want to work in the Foreign Service you should just take the test every year offered until you get a job offer from State.

If you're looking at graduate degrees in the event it takes you a few tries to get in with State, a good master's degree is preferable to a law degree, assuming you want to do policy work. In fact, unless you want to work as a lawyer (and not the international kind), any field of study will be better than law school.

This isn't the law school thread, but as someone who has both a JD and an MA, I just wanted to say that you emphatically do not need a law degree for the Foreign Service (unless you actually want to be a lawyer within the Foreign Service), and you emphatically should not go to law school if you don't definitely, absolutely, want to be a lawyer. That's a $100k+ mistake (unless you get a free ride, in which case, sure, knock yourself out, go to law school).

End ex-lawyer rant.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

raito posted:

The best advise i've heard about the foreign service is don't do anything solely because you think it will help your chances getting in. Even seemingly absurdly qualified people sometimes fail to make it in the first few times while people who "resume wise" are less qualified get in easily.

Although as a former PCV and a current FS person I think that peace corps is an incredible experience and there are a ton of rpcvs at state.

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.
Looks like I'll be going in for my second try in October. Going to focus more on the bio section in my prep now that I have a better idea what they're looking for.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

My OA date came in and I just have one month to wait/prepare/stress before I head to DC. IMTS-T info is pretty thin on the web so any input is appreciated. One question I do have is on the Structured Interview. Is it conversational or do you get the silent treatment with no feedback on your answers or agressive and challenging feedback to check you out under pressure. I know that there are different styles of interview and if I know going in I can better prepare.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

Strudelmeyer posted:

One question I do have is on the Structured Interview. Is it conversational or do you get the silent treatment with no feedback on your answers or agressive and challenging feedback to check you out under pressure.

I believe at least part of the interview consisted of the interviewer reading prepared questions & they stated that to make it fair that they couldn't add anything that wasn't printed or give you any interpretation or clarification. All they could do was repeat the question.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
I love seeing the circumstances people choose to mention on their requests for replacement passports:

‎"Lost my passport in 1976 when killer whales attacked our sailboat during a transatlantic regatta. The passport sank with the ship."

"Ran out of toilet paper in Vatican bathrooms and was looking for tissue when passport fell out of purse into toilet."

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
When you work for the State Department nobody understands what your job is

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zoots posted:

I love seeing the circumstances people choose to mention on their requests for replacement passports:

‎"Lost my passport in 1976 when killer whales attacked our sailboat during a transatlantic regatta. The passport sank with the ship."

"Ran out of toilet paper in Vatican bathrooms and was looking for tissue when passport fell out of purse into toilet."

Same thing happens in visa interviews when you ask where previous ppts are - I had a family who lost all of their passports (but survived, obvs) the massive passenger ferry that sank in the Red Sea a few years back. Plus a guy who told me that he went to Afghanistan on vacation and destroyed his last passport because he didn't want anyone to see where he'd been. Well, at least he's honest...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Okay, that is hilarious. First of all, Dan is an awesome guy - staffed a visit for him in 2010, he's really funny and down-to-earth, and also a sharp cookie at his job. I think he's the highest out-of-the-closet non-career official in the Obama administration as well, which makes the interior design whoopsie even more hilarious.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
that's right - he takes part in the Drag competitions in Georgetown, doesn't he? Really weird seeing him in high heels. Otherwise, a fun guy to work with I hear.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 25, 2012

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

AKA Pseudonym posted:

HA. That is amazing. Same diff, really.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Saho posted:

This is what I could find. Forgive me if I missed someone.

photoguy: SEO
mute: IMS (on the register?)
Bruxism: DS
Giodo!: Civil service, dc
Teleku: IMS, Warsaw
shadowninja: MSG, Tanzania

Delayed chime-in, but yes. On Register, finally going off Do Not Call in Oct. sooo, hopefully coming in early next year. Or getting dropped if there's not a class by April (yay, budgets.)

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

I'm not really sure what the people at Vogue magazine do either.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

the_chavi posted:

Plus a guy who told me that he went to Afghanistan on vacation and destroyed his last passport because he didn't want anyone to see where he'd been. Well, at least he's honest...

that always makes for an interesting interview. Certainly brings up a certain few .. perspectives ... on the individual in question

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Going to reapply for the FSOT. Do I seriously have to fill out the registration forms again (since I already did the ten year work history thing only last year)?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Going to reapply for the FSOT. Do I seriously have to fill out the registration forms again (since I already did the ten year work history thing only last year)?

You saved a copy, right? Right?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Business of Ferrets posted:

You saved a copy, right? Right?

Don't think I did....poo poo. Whatever, if I really want to try this I suppose its worth doing again.

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?

Shageletic posted:

Don't think I did....poo poo. Whatever, if I really want to try this I suppose its worth doing again.

You're going to want to save that information anyways for your security clearance investigation if you make it passed the OA portion.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Would it still be saved on the USAJobs site?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Introduction to the government process: keep copies of literally everything, both physical and digital. Forever.

You never know when that random document you signed nine months ago will disappear into the nether and need to be recreated.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
It's a little ridiculous that they make you reenter that stuff each time. Even if you save it you're still entering a poo poo ton of information that they could pretty easily save.

haggan
Aug 22, 2012
flag day this past tuesday. going to Riyadh! Really excited to be going there. :D Anyone else in Riyadh or been there?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Hey, I saw your flag day! What field are you? If you're an IMS, one of your teachers went there for an extended period of time.

Congratulations, though!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Vasudus posted:

Introduction to the government process: keep copies of literally everything, both physical and digital. Forever.

You never know when that random document you signed nine months ago will disappear into the nether and need to be recreated.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Kase Im Licht posted:

It's a little ridiculous that they make you reenter that stuff each time. Even if you save it you're still entering a poo poo ton of information that they could pretty easily save.

I am reinvestigated for my clearance every 5 years (and actually because of some other poo poo I've had to do a full SF86 three times in the past three years). I have to go back 10 years on the SF86. Every 5 years I have to reenter the full 10 years worth of information.

Save everything.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haggan posted:

flag day this past tuesday. going to Riyadh! Really excited to be going there. :D Anyone else in Riyadh or been there?

Hey, congrats! I did my first tour out there in 2008-2009, and Zoots was there with me at the same time. What's the gig?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

haggan posted:

Oh yes - PAS in 2010-2011. I hope you can hold your liquor.

EDIT: by which, I mean, the Embassy pub is unbelievably amazing. Although I think with families the "frat party" atmosphere has rather fallen off by the wayside.

Zoots fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 27, 2012

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zoots posted:

Oh yes - PAS in 2010-2011. I hope you can hold your liquor.

EDIT: by which, I mean, the Embassy pub is unbelievably amazing. Although I think with families the "frat party" atmosphere has rather fallen off by the wayside.

Yeah, apparently you can't even drink by the pool anymore. What the hell is up with that?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

iyaayas01 posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

I am reinvestigated for my clearance every 5 years (and actually because of some other poo poo I've had to do a full SF86 three times in the past three years). I have to go back 10 years on the SF86. Every 5 years I have to reenter the full 10 years worth of information.

Save everything.

I am doing my re-investigation right now and I can't begin to tell you the fits of rage it sends me into to have to recreate this document every 5 years. So loving stupid. Thank God someone told me very early on in my career the very advice being offered here.

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?
Actually E-QIP now saves a bunch of your SF-86 information once you've filled it out, so when you go to do your re-investigation, you don't need to refill all your previous foreign trips, places you lived, etc... you just need to add whatever has changed since then.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Hungry Hippo posted:

Actually E-QIP now saves a bunch of your SF-86 information once you've filled it out, so when you go to do your re-investigation, you don't need to refill all your previous foreign trips, places you lived, etc... you just need to add whatever has changed since then.

It must've changed since my last reinvestigation because when I opened up e-qip there wasn't a lick of previous information in it. That's great they finally fixed that blindingly obvious flaw in the system now that I've been doing these things for about 18 years or so. Still the original advice still holds, save a copy of everything.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Shageletic posted:

I made a similar mistake and left out some minor jobs I've had in the past, but mentioned the previous time. Would I be better off not mentioning them come the day of the test, or would it be better to bring them up despite not listing them earlier?