Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Volume posted:

Yeah there is definitively a mirror between the fight with Snake and the fight between Thors and Askaledd. The thing I love about this manga is that they just leave it at that. Any other artist would have had a two page spread of Thors spirit watching down on Thorfinn with an approving hand on his shoulder, a word bubble saying "good job son" and a few other pages to make sure you picked up on that.

Well, the really interesting thing is that this kinda happens, but it's Askeladd who's hovering over Thorfinn's mental shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yes but because that was always the voice that was pushing him and driving him. The one who, whether Askeladd wanted to or not, taught Thorfinn. Even now it's not even a congratulatory or good job that Thorfinn is hearing. It's Askeladd who's challenging Thorfinns new found beliefs.

Even when Askeladd tells him he's got a good reason to fight he turns that around "Well so does Snake."

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So basically, Thorfinn Batman of the Viking?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
If boiled guts make your mouth water then get a bib: It's Otoyome-Gatari time! Read online (once their servers catch up) or DDL.
wanna see that dance

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Haven't seen Gunka no Baltzar posted in a while.

New chapters up since last I read it.

http://www.mangareader.net/gunka-no-baltzar

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

If boiled guts make your mouth water then get a bib: It's Otoyome-Gatari time! Read online (once their servers catch up) or DDL.
wanna see that dance

Wanna see that food. I just ate dinner and I'm hungry again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Baltzar :woop:

http://www.mangareader.net/gunka-no-baltzar/11

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Finally, I get to move that bookmark up from dead last in my folder. I swear this has a slower release schedule than Berserk at this point, which is a shame because it's a great series so far.

Also noticed I hadn't seen the newest Otoyomegatari (25 and 25.5). Those crazy kids. :3:

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
New Historie: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Historie/Historie-077?id=141731
New Vinland: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-012-Ch-086--Irretrievable-Lives?id=141733

I miss when Historie had Eumenes fighting personally. Or doing anything besides offering a line or two of commentary/advice per chapter.

Vinland: Since they both survived the fight, I'm guessing they'll be teaming up in some capacity, at least for the incoming attack. maybe some travels after.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wow. So much greatness in one post.

Vinland Saga: Yeah. I teared up a bit. I do get the feeling that everyone here who's still alive is probably going to join together and eventually be part of our Vinland crew.

cooldude2.0 posted:

I miss when Historie had Eumenes fighting personally. Or doing anything besides offering a line or two of commentary/advice per chapter.
To be fair, no one else did any more than Eumenes did this chapter.

It's slow as heck, but I've kind of come to terms with that. It's building the world beautifully, giving us a good look at the Macedonian army in particular. Also, I'm pretty sure those horses they got out of this expedition are going to be important.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo Vinland Saga was heartbreaking this time around. Wonderful wonderful chapter. IIRC Throfinn isn't quite free yet, neither is Enir and no way Arneis will ever be free. Will they have to suffer punishment for what they just tried to do?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gardar... :smith: That's probably the saddest chapter yet, even with all the horrible stuff that happened before. Poor guy died with the illusion he could save his family.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Guess I'm the odd one out for not caring about that psychotic son of a bitch at all. Nothing but trouble that guy.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Seriously that dude killed like a million people.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

So good.

Really digging the joint thought bubbles of both wondering what the gently caress the other was doing in nowheresville.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yep, gently caress Gardar. Great chapter, though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rakugoon posted:

Seriously that dude killed like a million people.

He's killed only his slave-owner's family (after years of brutal treatment, judging from the scars all over his body the first time we saw him) and the people who were keeping his wife enslaved. Hardly a psychotic, indiscriminate mass murderer. Not to say I disagree with Snake's point about his men's lives being meaningful too, but you can sympathise with Gardar's actions even if you don't fully condone it.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah but he also killed everyone in between.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Gotta say I was kind of hoping for Thorfinn to actually counter Snake's argument about the value of life, given that his five men were already dead and gone and killing this man was not going to bring them back.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Gotta say I was kind of hoping for Thorfinn to actually counter Snake's argument about the value of life, given that his five men were already dead and gone and killing this man was not going to bring them back.

Yeah, I was surprised Thorfinn didn't say something along those lines. Though I guess it would have been a bit too obvious...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What's wrong with you people? Two things are true:

Gardar killed a ton of people, and each death was a tragedy. He's caused a lot of suffering, and had no conception that what he was doing was wrong, or a single iota of guilt. He was a dangerous, harmful individual, whose net impact on the world was quite possibly a very negative one.

Gardar's death was sad as gently caress. It was deeply human and sympathetic. He may not have understood the harm violence did, but he understood love, and he loved the son he never knew, and his wife. He died with regret for what he couldn't do for them. If that had no emotional effect on you, you might be a sociopath.

Both these things are true simultaneously. Neither counters or makes up for the other. Welcome to Vinland Saga!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lotta people judging an ancient barbarian by modern standards of morality, ITT. Hell, Thorfinn has probably racked up ten times the bodycount that Gardar managed to, and I don't recall people not caring about what happened to him.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Lotta people judging an ancient barbarian by modern standards of morality, ITT. Hell, Thorfinn has probably racked up ten times the bodycount that Gardar managed to, and I don't recall people not caring about what happened to him.

Presentation counts.

It's sad but because of the slave wife and how it affects her, not because he was some great dude. Not to mention he clearly loves her and his dead son, and wanted to fix things for them, at least. Plus, given his addled broken mind, it hard not to feel bad about the whole situation, even if you don't think his death is the worst thing in the world.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rakugoon posted:

Yeah but he also killed everyone in between.

Glad to see Vinland Saga going back to it's roots. :black101:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think Gardar's death was a great moment and that he died with dignity with his wife next to him. How often do you see a death like that in Vinland Saga? Most of the time it's just brutal executions and bleeding to death doesn't seem that bad at all. Or a life of servitude.

And I really like the end where he comes to terms with being a blood thirsty warrior for his next generation. We can see the changing values of the vikings going from violent raiders to wanting a more quiet life. Contrast this with Canute where he goes from innocent boy who loves cooking to a scheming man scheme/butcher/murder his way for more.

Farmville is probably about to end soon. I suspect Arnei would be gang raped and then cut down causing Einar to go ballastic and then Canute's men will raze everything. Thorfinn would probably leave in disgust after a ideological showdown with Canute.

Yes, more Canute please. Watching the brutal King is so entertaining, and would be a nice change of scene from farmville.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

caberham posted:

Yes, more Canute please. Watching the brutal King is so entertaining, and would be a nice change of scene from farmville.

Except you won't get a change of scene from Farmville if we shift the focus to Canute, since Canute is doing all this scheming to get possession of the farm for the purposes of farming on it.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 27, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

Except you won't get a change of scene from Farmville if we shift the focus to Canute, since Canute is doing all this scheming to get possession of the farm for the purposes of farming on it.

Next On Vinland Saga: "Farming with King Canute! - Blood and bones make for great fertiliser."

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Feel like Thorkell is going to save everybody 'cuz he's so sick of Canute at this point.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Yep, gently caress Gardar. Great chapter, though.

Yes, now hopefully Canute and the others show up soon.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh snap, I forgot all about Canute. Every now and then I re-read the entire collection to refresh on what's been going on since it updates only once a month. I guess it's time to do it all over again.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

So that like it's a bad thing.

So Throfin growing up (a little) is almost done. Time for things to get dangerous. Also, Thorkell. I really want to see Thorkell introduce Thorfin to dear, old (Gran)dad.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
New Vinland Saga Chapter Out
This chapter seems like mostly setup, but boy is poo poo going to go down soon.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

GodFish posted:

Arneis is right and truly in for all manner of terribleness isn't she? :smith:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

Arneis is right and truly in for all manner of terribleness isn't she? :smith:

It does look like it. :smith:

Overall it looks like tragedy ahead before any kind of uplifting stuff even hints of turning up. That said we might have a wonderful reunion soon.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
New Gunka no Balzer.

http://readonline.egscans.com/Gunka_no_Balzer/Chapter_012

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GodFish posted:

I'm consistently, pleasantly surprised just how well drawn this story is. Such good art.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

GodFish posted:

You know I understand what the author is trying to do with the disembodied head but by god every time it shows up it just makes me laugh, it's way too goofy looking.

Huh, can't say I expected Not-Russia to be involved.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 28, 2012

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rodyle posted:

Huh, can't say I expected Not-Russia to be involved.

More like Not-Austria. Basically we have Not-Prussia and Not-Austria fighting over Not-Bavaria.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Aaaa Vinland Saga, you just have things gettin bad to worse :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

More like Not-Austria. Basically we have Not-Prussia and Not-Austria fighting over Not-Bavaria.

Oh yes that makes sense. I went for Russia since that's where my mind goes when I think of European Empresses, but that works much better.