Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tim & Eric are buried behind so many layers of irony that they could release just about anything on film and it would become a cult classic. I don't know whether to be jealous or angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Farbtoner posted:

Tim & Eric are buried behind so many layers of irony that they could release just about anything on film and it would become a cult classic. I don't know whether to be jealous or angry.

I think it's fantastic. I've got this copy of Tim's latest release that I won online: a signed vinyl copy of this song. A 14 minute song about the Titanic. Made because he heard Bob Dylan was going to have a long rear end song about Titanic on his latest album.

Is the song funny? No. The joke is the fact that it exists. And I love that.

So I guess I'm one of the enabling fans.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

T&E are certainly living the artist's dream. They can do whatever they want and explore any bizarre rabbit holes they want with a steady audience and network that's willing to work with their whims.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Glamorama26 posted:

Tell me more. I'm serious, I've seen this poster everywhere and want to know how bad it is without subjecting myself to it.

I've seen it but I can't seem to remember a single thing about it other then it was awful.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Slasherfan posted:

I've seen it but I can't seem to remember a single thing about it other then it was awful.

It's just as bad as Epic, Date or Disaster Movie, if not worse. The plot is non-sensical, and the "jokes" mainly rely on scat humour. The only joke that resembled funny was during a scene parodying the poker game from 40 Year Old. One guy cracked a joke, and judging from the way the Carrell-knock off laughed, the other guys determined he was a virgin. That got a slight chuckle, but the rest of the movie was just boring poo poo that won't appeal to anyone over 10.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
:siren: Heads up, these posters are going on sale at random times tomorrow from MONDO: :siren:

quote:

Looper by Martin Ansin
24x36”
$50 Silver Edition of 320
$50 Gold Edition of 320

quote:

Dredd 3D by Jock
24x36”
$45 regular edition

quote:

Room 237 by Aled Lewis
18″x24″ screen print.
Edition of 175
$35

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is eBay just about the only place to pick up out of print Mondo posters? I've been eyeing some of the Disney and Looney Tunes posters they've produced.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and does Mondo print on Glossy or Matte, or do they mix it up from time to time? Matte posters are the bomb.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is eBay just about the only place to pick up out of print Mondo posters? I've been eyeing some of the Disney and Looney Tunes posters they've produced.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and does Mondo print on Glossy or Matte, or do they mix it up from time to time? Matte posters are the bomb.

Yep, and they're going to run you around 4x the original price, sometimes much more if it's popular.

I have no idea about the second question.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 27, 2012

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

I find this and their trailer pitch perfect. But I think it only holds together by calling the movie "The Comedy" because then it sets and defies the expectations. I love the tagline of "A Drama". The Comedy - a drama is great. I really want to see this. Might make a nice double header with billion dollar movie...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

https://www.expressobeans.com

These posters are all screen printed so I don't really get that second question. They're not going down to Kinko's and asking for 100 copies.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Chief posted:

https://www.expressobeans.com

These posters are all screen printed so I don't really get that second question. They're not going down to Kinko's and asking for 100 copies.

Yea, but you can still screen-print on different types of stock, and use pigments that are glossy or matte.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I'm pretty sure they're all matte, but I've never seen one in person because they always sell out in seconds.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I own the Hugo one, but I really don't know the difference between them (and I don't have it with my at college), so I couldn't really tell you :\

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Glamorama26 posted:

Tell me more. I'm serious, I've seen this poster everywhere and want to know how bad it is without subjecting myself to it.

I wrote a review of it a couple of years ago. My hatred for it is still burned into my mind.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yea, but you can still screen-print on different types of stock, and use pigments that are glossy or matte.

As far as I know they're never printed on glossy. Rice paper, metal, wood? Sure, but no glossy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Chief posted:

As far as I know they're never printed on glossy. Rice paper, metal, wood? Sure, but no glossy.

Some people might think you were joking, but I've seen some of their wood prints and they're brilliant.

Oh, and thanks for the link too. Looks like an excellent resource.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kevar posted:

Spoofing comedies is just such a :psyduck: concept
To be fair there have been some great spoof comedies.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
A spoof OF a comedy, though? Making fun of Star Wars gets you Spaceballs, but does making fun of Spaceballs lead anyone anywhere worthwhile?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GonSmithe posted:

Yep, and they're going to run you around 4x the original price, sometimes much more if it's popular.

I begin to understand why people buy Mondo posters.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Not Another Teen Movie was surprisingly decent as a spoof of a comedy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Not Another Teen Movie was surprisingly decent as a spoof of a comedy.

That one was more of a spoof of a genre and not a specific movie like the various ____ Movies or that 41 Year Old Virgin one.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Did the 41 Year Old Virgin etc run into legal problems? I remember the original trailers called it the 40 Year Old Virgin etc.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Magic Love Hose posted:

A spoof OF a comedy, though? Making fun of Star Wars gets you Spaceballs, but does making fun of Spaceballs lead anyone anywhere worthwhile?

No, it's like trying to make fun of a clown. I remember seeing the trailer for Epic Movie and at one point, Borat comes out in his green thong bathing suit and does two thumbs up and says "It's nice!"

That's not a parody. That's just putting a joke from a different movie into your movie.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So in other words, a lazier Family Guy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I like the concept and the layout of this poster but there's something I absolutely hate about the actual portraits. They look like something out of a freshman level drawing class.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I like the concept and the layout of this poster but there's something I absolutely hate about the actual portraits. They look like something out of a freshman level drawing class.

JGL kinda looks like the dude from Laserblast in that one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I drew in my early 20's. I even did a series of charcoal celebrity portraits for my Intro to Drawing class that were as chunky, badly-proportioned and off-kilter perspective wise as those.

If only I would've kept it up and also took some Intro to Graphic Design courses, I could make tons of money drawing film posters.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

This is some of Martin Ansin's other work:

Now lets see some of yours and we'll judge who is better.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Those look a hell of a lot better than the drawings in the Looper poster save for whatever is going on with Sam's rubber face in Brazil. I'm not saying he can't draw, something just went horribly wrong with Looper.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I just set Mondo's twitter feed to give me push notifications on my phone. I'm buying that loving Dredd poster come hell or high water. :getin:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doesn't beat the original poster:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Looper literally sold out in less than 1 minute. I got to shipping calculations and it was sold out.

I did get one of the Dredd ones, RIGHT before it sold out, though. :getin:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It kinda makes me wonder, if these things have such ridiculous demand (< 1 minute is pretty ridiculous demand), why don't they upscale the production? I know that it would cost more and all that, but I would assume that it costs less per additional unit, so they could potentially make a load more money? I'm no businessman, though, just someone trying to wonder why it is so hard to get these drat things.

Unless they're pulling an Eric Cartman and are intentionally making it hard to get to increase demand, in which case, well played.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

GrandpaPants posted:

Unless they're pulling an Eric Cartman and are intentionally making it hard to get to increase demand, in which case, well played.

*ding ding ding*

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Looper literally sold out in less than 1 minute. I got to shipping calculations and it was sold out.

I did get one of the Dredd ones, RIGHT before it sold out, though. :getin:

gently caress you so hard. My phone hosed up and I didn't get the notification until after it sold out. :smith:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

*ding ding ding*

But a brief look at eBay suggests they're selling their posters for significantly less than the market price.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mister Chief posted:

Now lets see some of yours and we'll judge who is better.

I guess you missed the part where I was talking about that particular poster and not his entire body of work, or the part where I implied that I'm not that good at drawing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

It kinda makes me wonder, if these things have such ridiculous demand (< 1 minute is pretty ridiculous demand), why don't they upscale the production? I know that it would cost more and all that, but I would assume that it costs less per additional unit, so they could potentially make a load more money? I'm no businessman, though, just someone trying to wonder why it is so hard to get these drat things.

The fact that of 275 of these posters, 17 are on eBay at better than a 200% markup within two hours should tell you why it's so hard to get one.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
That Mummy poster is frigging amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

How can I tell if a poster has actually been released or not? I see the poster I like on eBay, but I can't find anything online that would indicate that Mondo actually sold this particular poster.