Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
somebody tell me that sitting through this insufferable story mode is not necessary for unlocking costumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

It's not. Just run through arcade/time trial/survival on different difficulties.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Copper Vein posted:

somebody tell me that sitting through this insufferable story mode is not necessary for unlocking costumes

Wha, how could you not like the story mode? It's just so delightfully insane.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Evil Canadian posted:

Wha, how could you not like the story mode? It's just so delightfully insane.

A few days later

A few days later

A few days later

A few days later

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Has anyone found the secret "change number of rounds" option. I haven't and it seems odd for it to just not exist.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Got the game so if anyone want to try some matches from someone in Atlanta.

Gamertag: txz

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Jesus Toast posted:

It's not. Just run through arcade/time trial/survival on different difficulties.
Actually I think you need to if you want Kasumi's kimono-like thing and kick rear end ninja outfit. Where she, you know, actually looks like a ninja for once.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I know last page it was called "fine" or whatever but how would you compare the online latency to say SSF4 or Soul Calibur 5? Also depending on how they deal with lag it could make defensive holds harder or easier, how is it done? In other words am I going to hate myself for buying this?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

I know last page it was called "fine" or whatever but how would you compare the online latency to say SSF4 or Soul Calibur 5? Also depending on how they deal with lag it could make defensive holds harder or easier, how is it done? In other words am I going to hate myself for buying this?

Online is pretty good I've only had 2 bad matches out of 80 something. Can't say I like the changes to multiplayer though. Now no one plays ranked anymore so I'm stuck at an F+.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Attention 360 owners

There's a bug in the game where you may lose your save data if you accept an invite from your dashboard.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Way better than SSF4, I would say comparable/slightly better than SC5.

I am super super sensitive when it comes to netcode and I would drop this game like nothing if it didn't live up to my expectations, it gets the thumbs up.

Now for a random aside: After going through story mode I had no clue Lisa was supposed to have been a badguy the whole time, since like doa4, let alone a scientist/spy.

*ed*

uncleKitchener posted:

Attention 360 owners

There's a bug in the game where you may lose your save data if you accept an invite from your dashboard.

Eek, good to know.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 27, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Evil Canadian posted:

Way better than SSF4, I would say comparable/slightly better than SC5.
Purchased, unfortunately I won't be able to play much til next week but I'll get back in the goon IRCs for this. I'm a hitomi :shobon:

edit: Playing the 15-30 minutes or so I have to play before loving tuesday, but I already don't regret my purchase.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 27, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So, apparently someone has found an infinite in this game. Not sure if this is in fact an Infinite or not since I don't have the game yet.

http://youtu.be/SS4Msf-Z05o

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

uncleKitchener posted:

So, apparently someone has found an infinite in this game. Not sure if this is in fact an Infinite or not since I don't have the game yet.

Yeah I tried it, it works. I was wondering why I could do two ground hits before anyways, I didn't really think to go for it again. And again. And again. And again.

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

InformationHigh posted:

Actually I think you need to if you want Kasumi's kimono-like thing and kick rear end ninja outfit. Where she, you know, actually looks like a ninja for once.

I just assumed those were auto-unlocked when you ran through arcade and got everything else. I hadn't finished story at that point and don't really play Kasumi, so I hadn't tested it. Still, it's not that big a thing to go through story mode and just do the matches since you can skip every cutscene and don't have to do the bonus missions.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Purchased, unfortunately I won't be able to play much til next week but I'll get back in the goon IRCs for this. I'm a hitomi :shobon:

edit: Playing the 15-30 minutes or so I have to play before loving tuesday, but I already don't regret my purchase.

If you are on 360 you should friend me GT: EvilCanadian

uncleKitchener posted:

Nerp. Well now they got some motivation for their next patch.

Also I will soon be getting the components needed to capture 360 video, so I will be making some system guides/character guide videos for beginners within the next week or so.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

A few days later

A few days later

A few days later

A few days later

THE NEXT DAY - ANTARCTICA

THE SAME NINJA GIRL IN NO CLOTHES THAT WAS IN A PARK HOURS AGO

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

The weirdest thing about the storymode is they show who won the tournament in the actual game. Normally you gotta wait for a sequel in any fighter to find out who wins.

Anyway many many more games into online, netcode still holding up, so I am really stoked all in all :)

Mila's f,f,+p is a really dirty move, super fast, big range, and guard breaks. If you do it to someone in a corner and they block, you get a guaranteed stand jab off it(normally st.jab would whiff cause it lacks the range).

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I'm really pleased with DOA5 its alot more fun to play than DOA4, the characters seem a bit better this time around. The MMA chick kicks arse and when you form a tag team between her and her idol Bass the win scene always cracks me up.

The Story mode was funny it was cool to see the characters interact with each other, however I do miss the cutscenes at the end of Arcade mode though.

My only gripe is the loading times they do get annoying I'm hoping they patch the game to make it a bit faster in this sense.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have it (in fact I bought it digitally so I will never not have it ever again), I want to have some good old time non-stress fighting where I can just focus on kicking people down stairs and not necessarily winning. When are people meeting?

edit: On the PS3 I mean...so I guess it won't be like old times after all. drat, I keep forgetting that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 28, 2012

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: On the PS3 I mean...so I guess it won't be like old times after all. drat, I keep forgetting that.

Hey that's on you not us :mad:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maybe I'm retarded, but is there a way to set custom controls? When I click on custom in the controller menu, nothing happens and it just asks me to confirm the already selected buttons.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

theguy2687 posted:

Maybe I'm retarded, but is there a way to set custom controls? When I click on custom in the controller menu, nothing happens and it just asks me to confirm the already selected buttons.
Push up after you select custom and you can highlight the individual commands.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

InformationHigh posted:

Push up after you select custom and you can highlight the individual commands.

Thank you!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have it (in fact I bought it digitally so I will never not have it ever again), I want to have some good old time non-stress fighting where I can just focus on kicking people down stairs and not necessarily winning. When are people meeting?

I just picked this game up and have never played this series before, so if you or anyone else wants some casual games against someone just starting out I'm on PSN as Surlaw.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Picked this up and finished the story mode. It's nice that they're actually trying to create a coherent story for anyone that actually cares about that kinda stuff, but shoehorning all the character that really had poo poo all to do with the plot made it feel all over the place and a bit weak.

Then again, it's better than what SC5 did when they saddled you with the same two characters for the whole thing. Overall, I'm kinda happy with how story modes in fighting games have been happening since Mortal Kombat did what they did. I know most people don't give a poo poo about them, but they're usually a nice way to break into a game and get more familiar with it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey that's on you not us :mad:
I switched to the PS3 mostly because its region free, so it's really on MS for being a jerk about that.

I sent a friend request Surlaw.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
so apparently people get really pissed from me using brad wong and playing relatively defensively with his lying down stances, and if they don't close in I get up and purposely undershoot a torpedo attack which puts me at the perfect range for a throw/rising kick.

Gamertag is RyogaTELB for anyone who doesn't mind having their connection cross the pacific to play.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Turns out Amazon screwed my order and I won't be getting the game for a whole week.

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

Ryoga posted:

so apparently people get really pissed from me using brad wong and playing relatively defensively with his lying down stances, and if they don't close in I get up and purposely undershoot a torpedo attack which puts me at the perfect range for a throw/rising kick.

Gamertag is RyogaTELB for anyone who doesn't mind having their connection cross the pacific to play.

I didn't know there was any other way to play as Wong.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Hortism posted:

I know most people don't give a poo poo about them, but they're usually a nice way to break into a game and get more familiar with it.
They also basically made it one big tutorial like in Dead or Alive Dimensions with the challenges in each match. Dimensions did a better job but didn't hide it with the challenges/titles.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Yo, StapleFrog, add yourself to the List, dude.

Netcode is alright, but it really has nothing on TTT2 and VF5FS online play. Then again, those aren't P2P connections unlike DOA5.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 29, 2012

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I can't speak for ttt2 as I have not played it, but I find it fairly comparable to VF5FS myself.

Although I hear a lot of strange online issues coming out of the Euro area so who knows???

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's been fairly slow for me I think, living in the middle of the ocean. Countering is so much more difficult than single player, for the same (grade F opponents) chains and stuff.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I can't really compare the netcode of this game to VF5. I had really smooth game with US players, but I'm just not getting the same even against EU players here.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Hoom I don't know if I am in the top percentile for internet speed or something(and I shouldn't be, living in a hick town as I do) but having played hundreds of final showdown matches I don't feel any comparable quality difference in DoA5 as far as netcode goes. If I was having consistently lovely online play on the par of like Marvel or borderline tolerable like sf4 I would be bitching to the high heavens.

It saddens me to hear others having some issue though.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Added myself to the list. Gamertag is Melloblack2. Hopefully, school will give me enough time to actually sit down with the game and learn something that isn't just mashing out whatever.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

I had a match where none of my inputs except movement worked. I couldn't even press start. All I could do was move around and watch while some guy got two perfect rounds then laughed and yelled some stuff in French. It worked fine after the match ended.

On the plus side, I think I'm beginning to gather some nice negative feedback on my profile. A lot of anger all around in this game.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
yeah netcode is no soul calibur 5 or tekken tag, but it's certainly not bad at all. As it has been said already, it could just be standard hawaii latency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

Yo, StapleFrog, add yourself to the List, dude.

First entry is me.
Good games today. You are very good at picking up those who lie down.

• Locked thread