Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NorskHotDog posted:

I don't know if it's some weird Norwegian thing to give your kid your last name as a first name, but I've met both a Henrik Henriksen and Kittel Kittelsen. :psyduck:
It is. Culturally, this is like naming your kid "Junior". Literally, "Henrik is Henrik's son", or "Henrik, son of Henrik".
It's the same for girls if the surname ends in -dottir instead of -sen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

sticklefifer posted:

It is. Culturally, this is like naming your kid "Junior". Literally, "Henrik is Henrik's son", or "Henrik, son of Henrik".
It's the same for girls if the surname ends in -dottir instead of -sen.

No. That's Iceland.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Khazar-khum posted:

So many variants of La-a have been told that I wouldn't be surprised if someone now gives it to their kid to be 'ironic'.
It'll be the new hipster thing when they get tired of naming their kids things like Maud and Oliver. Because you know hipsters love ironic racism.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

Then there's the truly wild world of athlete names. My favorite is God Shammgod, while this year's Olympian Destiny Hooker is right there.

I like the name Captain Munnerlyn (NFL player). Sounds like a 60s sitcom/kids' show name or something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hip Flask posted:

No. That's Iceland.

Fun fact:
If you want to give your kid a unusual name in Iceland you'll have to run it by the governments name committee which will decide whether or not it's legal based on a number of factors such as whether it can be grammatically declined. However what get's through seem slightly random since "Spartakus", "Pedró", "Gísela" are all perfectly legal while "Lúsifer" and "Baltazar" are illegal.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
A dentist in my hometown was named Seymour Gold.

Tangential to the poster who mentioned Chinese taking Anglo names for school, the same is done for doing biz with the west. Had an overseas contact in ROC named Peter Pan.

GOO PUNCH!!
Oct 28, 2010
[quote="Aidan_702" post="407759194"]
One of my friends went out with a guy last year who was called by his parents REALITY.

Also don't poo poo on Aiden too much :( it's not my fault most people can't spell.
[/quo

There was a girl in my graduating class in high school with that name.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

I have free will to do what I want but I choose to oscillate.

Went to a restaurant with my boyfriend and had a great time. Not sure who served us though...

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
There's this girl who was really into the Australian cosplay/fandom scene a few years ago. I never met her but I have some friends who knew her quite well, and I've seen her mentioned here on the forums a few times because apparently she's batshit crazy.

Anyway, she changed her name to Lily. After Lily Potter. Not that weird, right? I mean, it's a pretty name, and people won't automatically assume she picked it from a children's book or anything.

The horrible part is that she continued the Harry Potter trend with her son... Severus. :smith:

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Paracetamol Boy posted:

Went to a restaurant with my boyfriend and had a great time. Not sure who served us though...

Where the gently caress did you go that charged $12.00 for a coke? :stare:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

If they only ordered one Coke between the two of them, it was probably a big Coke.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Are we allowed to submit our own names? Before I changed my name, I was called Iayn Kiir Pyotr Öpik (If that rings any bells, it's because this clown is my uncle). As you can see the Estonian influence was strong, and whilst Iayn wouldn't have been too bad, my parents and family always called me Kiir, and insisted to everyone else this be done as well.

So. Kiir Opik. Queer, Beer, Ear, Jeer, Rear, Fear, Oprick, Opicks-his-nose, O'sick, O'thick, O'tick you name a rhyme, it was applied to me. I... did not have a happy childhood. Pretty much the day I was old enough to do so, I changed my name.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Are we allowed to submit our own names? Before I changed my name, I was called Iayn Kiir Pyotr Öpik (If that rings any bells, it's because this clown is my uncle). As you can see the Estonian influence was strong, and whilst Iayn wouldn't have been too bad, my parents and family always called me Kiir, and insisted to everyone else this be done as well.

So. Kiir Opik. Queer, Beer, Ear, Jeer, Rear, Fear, Oprick, Opicks-his-nose, O'sick, O'thick, O'tick you name a rhyme, it was applied to me. I... did not have a happy childhood. Pretty much the day I was old enough to do so, I changed my name.

How do you pronounce it?

Pickled Foetus
Jan 20, 2009
One of my sister's retarded friends called her son Zeppelin. I mean, I love them too, but for gently caress's sake.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Maybe it was cocaine? $12 of cocaine is like barely any cocaine at all. That makes as much sense as a 12 dollar soda.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
So my sister-in-law just had a son.

First name: Ryden
Middle name: Dangerous
Last name: Lee

I hate to say "white trash" but they really are. :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

The line reading "VAT" indicates that it's not either the USA or Canada, so it has to be one of these other countries (many of them tropical islands, just the sort of place where you'd blow a lot of money at a bar) that uses a currency called "dollars": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar#Economies_currently_using_the_dollar

For instance, 12 East Caribbean Dollars, used in Antigua and Barbuda, is about $4.50 USD. And 12 Jamaican dollars is only 13 US cents.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

During a recent trip to Old Navy I encountered a girl named "Tyranny." I guess that's what happens when your mom gives birth to you and she's so messed up on painkillers that, when the doctor asks for a name, she blurts out the first thing that comes to mind without realizing she learned it from the freaking dictionary.

I also love it that someone with such a tyrannical name has a job doing something so utterly un-tyrannical and mundane.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I have a friend who works on a military base, and he met someone who gave their son the middle name of Thebarbarian.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Sheldrake posted:

I have a friend who works on a military base, and he met someone who gave their son the middle name of Thebarbarian.

Edit: oops

Vidaeus has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Sep 27, 2012

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Sheldrake posted:

Please tell me his first name was Conan.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

I have free will to do what I want but I choose to oscillate.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Different currency - this is in ZAR.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Just had a patient named Gay Hammie. Well thanks all.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Nothing will ever beat Dr. Richard Chopp, M.D.

His specialization?

Vasectomies.

bettsta
Jul 21, 2008
I went to school with a set of triplets named Quark, Quantum, and Quasar. Didn't know them personally but I heard their parents were both astrophysicists. Maybe they're awesome names in general, but that's gotta kill the mood in the bedroom.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:
If you want to give your kid a unusual name in Iceland you'll have to run it by the governments name committee which will decide whether or not it's legal based on a number of factors such as whether it can be grammatically declined. However what get's through seem slightly random since "Spartakus", "Pedró", "Gísela" are all perfectly legal while "Lúsifer" and "Baltazar" are illegal.

That's the law for pretty much the whole of Scandinavia. It's illegal to give your kid a name that can be burden for it. A Swedish couple for example wanted to name their daughter Metallica but that was denied. There's also a Norwegian law that says that if less than 200 people share a surname you have to ask them for permission to use it

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I see commercials for an eye doctor on TV all the time. His name? Dr. Harold Ballitch II.

Yeah, I really want a guy named Harry Ballitch touching my eyes.

He even has a website! Eyeballs all itchy? BETTER CALL DR. BALLITCH! http://www.drballitch.com/

Homoagogo
May 20, 2009
Where has this thread been for the past 3 years?! I deal with a ton of strange names on a daily basis at work. Best one we ever saw: Luscious N. Delicious.

That was his LEGAL NAME on all of his documentation. As far as we could figure, it was the dude's drag name and he had legally changed it to his real name.

A few other good ones: Traeghvaghne (pronounced "Treyvon") and the never ending reiterations of Michelle (Meshelle, Mischelle) and Ashley (Ashleigh, Ashlee, Ashli, Ashlii).
I am sometimes overcome with pity for these people.

Edit: Do weird naming conventions count? My friend Viola is the second daughter in a set of four, Vera, Virginia and the youngest Vickie

Homoagogo has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Sep 27, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I sit behind a girl in my math class whose name is Eternity.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Alhazred posted:

There's also a Norwegian law that says that if less than 200 people share a surname you have to ask them for permission to use it

All of them?

Doctor Krieger
Apr 8, 2007

...because these corporate bag-munchers owe me $630 for my GODDAMN FLEX ACCOUNT!
I saw a good number of odd names while working sorting mail. I saw what I believe was a reminder for a medical check up addressed to a Miss Havana Biggs.

A fine name for a Cuban hip-hop artist; less so for an English girl who was most likely not 6 years of age yet.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
Back in college I remember at least three or so girls named "Apple". A few guys who were named "Mickey" and "Donald" after the Disney characters, and two who were named "Winston" after Churchill. Also "Garnet" as a boy's name. His last name was Red, too.

I've also processed a lot of passengers with hilarious names, but the only one I can remember now is a Southeast Asian guy with the name "Wimpy". We thought it was a mistake, so we asked for his passport. It was indeed "Wimpy".

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Homoagogo posted:

never ending reiterations of and Ashley (Ashleigh, Ashlee, Ashli, Ashlii).
I am sometimes overcome with pity for these people.

Edit: Do weird naming conventions count? My friend Viola is the second daughter in a set of four, Vera, Virginia and the youngest Vickie

Ashleigh is not a new or "unique" way of spelling it, it's been around since at least the 1930s.

And people who give their children all the same first initial are just asking for trouble. How do they know who's mail to open?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Dudes! posted:

How do you pronounce it?

Iayn Kiir Pyotr Öpik: Ian Keer Peter Opik, phonetically I believe.

Alhazred posted:

There's also a Norwegian law that says that if less than 200 people share a surname you have to ask them for permission to use it
You mean to use their surname as a first or middle name, or you mean to change your surname to theirs?

Call Now posted:

All of them?
This too.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

jojoinnit posted:

Iayn Kiir Pyotr Öpik: Ian Keer Peter Opik, phonetically I believe.

In English this is right, in Estonian it would be Yan for Iayn, and Pyotr is Russian (Pyot-ur basically) because my mom wanted to troll my Russia-hating Grandma. I don't even know how to write the sounds for Kiir. Halfway between a K and a G for the start, then "ee" then a rolled "r". In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP51rUR4NNg she pretty much says "Öpik" at the end there, just a p instead of a b. This is why I went with the English variant with everyone until I just said gently caress it and got a new name entirely.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I used to work at a school for Native American children, and many of them had really neat last names, including Knows His Gun, already mentioned in this thread. I had compiled a list of all the great names I encountered but can't find it now -- off the top of my head, I remember Rides the White-Hipped Horse, Kills the Pretty Enemy, Kills on Top, Bear Comes Out, Bad Bear, Lone Bear, Yellow Eyes, Middle Rider, Bear Chum (the last name of a very nice little boy, first name Byron...very plausibly a friend to all bears), Scalp Cane, Big Back, and Onion.

Some had first names that were traditional in their tribe -- one of my students had a sister with the first name of Red Leaf; one of my students was named Talon, another named Mountain -- and some were just badass, like the kindergartner named Valor.

Then there was the kid named Chauncey. :wotwot: I'm guessing it was a family name or something because why else would you give your kid that name in 1997 or thereabouts?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Our local Vons (a supermarket chain, for you non So Californians) there was a bag girl named Latrina. Yes, it could be a pretty name if you didn't speak English, but why do that to your daughter? How do you get to be old enough to procreate without knowing what a latrine is?

For a while I tutored a girl named Doqueisha. I asked her if it meant anything specific, and she said, "Yeah, my mom was an idiot."

Last I heard she was in Pre-Law.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Khazar-khum posted:

Our local Vons (a supermarket chain, for you non So Californians) there was a bag girl named Latrina. Yes, it could be a pretty name if you didn't speak English, but why do that to your daughter? How do you get to be old enough to procreate without knowing what a latrine is?
Changed the name in the 13th century. Used to be Shithouse.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Rabbit Hill posted:

I used to work at a school for Native American children, and many of them had really neat last names, including Knows His Gun, already mentioned in this thread. I had compiled a list of all the great names I encountered but can't find it now -- off the top of my head, I remember Rides the White-Hipped Horse, Kills the Pretty Enemy, Kills on Top, Bear Comes Out, Bad Bear, Lone Bear, Yellow Eyes, Middle Rider, Bear Chum (the last name of a very nice little boy, first name Byron...very plausibly a friend to all bears), Scalp Cane, Big Back, and Onion.
Yeah, I had a list too, and I don't know where it went. You must live in my region (I'm in North Dakota). There's also Pretty on Top, a bunch of people with the last name Doll (only notable because one family named their daughter Barbie), His Horse Is Thunder (I think he changed his name to that though), Uses Arrow, Pretends Eagle, Iron Eyes, Not Afraid, and some others I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Powercrazy posted:

I have a friend from high school whose name is Richard Biggs. Yep, his real name.

Huh, I also went to high school with a guy named Richard Biggs.