Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
It's funny watching you guys talk about this stuff. I haven't worked in a bar in years, but I live in Utah and by law everything is measured - whether the mag system or clickers or whatever. There is no option to pour heavy, comping drinks is straight up illegal, and you can't even order a double. You used to be able to order a sidecar but they upped a measured shot from 1oz to 1.5oz and did away with the sidecar.

The upside to this is as a bartender is you don't have to worry about getting stiffed on your tips for pouring light and as a patron a drink in Bar A will have exactly the same amount of liquor as Bar B so you can monitor your intake easily. Downside is that you can't be nice to folks for tipping well and you never ever get to have a safety meeting because if DABC caught bartenders drinking on duty they'll yank your license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, Utah wouldn't be a fun place to bartend. I was there for work once, had to drive to Nevada just to get to a drat strip club.

I think the place that will hold the crown for weirdest liquor law though, will be South Carolina. Until a couple years ago, bars were required to use airplane bottles for all liquor drinks. There was no freepouring, there were no mixed drinks with different quantities of alcohol...it was all mini bottles. Want a Cosmo? Mini bottle of citrus vodka, mini bottle of Cointreau, lime, splash of cran for color, shake and serve.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I heard that when I went down to Myrtle last year. Strangely, they don't have onerous ABC laws like we do here in VA.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

you never ever get to have a safety meeting because if DABC caught bartenders drinking on duty they'll yank your license.

90% of the bars would get shut down here on the beach if that happened :v:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

My experience with Utah involved getting into Salt Lake City at around 9pm to the guys place we were staying at, and him taking us out to the only place that was open: Chilis. On the way he drove us past the happening night spot: A Ben & Jerry's with a drive through that was backed up all the way around their parking lot, which was full to the brim with cute young couples enjoying an exhilerating date out together to get ice cream. I think I saw one girls head spin round a full rotation as we were driving past, the whole city was like a loving twilight zone episode.

rikatix
Aug 24, 2010
Hah. Almost my same experience in SLC except it was during the day. We flew in on a trip traveling down to Las Vegas, immediately got the hell out of there. It's like a modern day pleasantville.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

nrr posted:

My experience with Utah involved getting into Salt Lake City at around 9pm to the guys place we were staying at, and him taking us out to the only place that was open: Chilis. On the way he drove us past the happening night spot: A Ben & Jerry's with a drive through that was backed up all the way around their parking lot, which was full to the brim with cute young couples enjoying an exhilerating date out together to get ice cream. I think I saw one girls head spin round a full rotation as we were driving past, the whole city was like a loving twilight zone episode.
I don't know when this was or what's wrong with your friend, but... we ain't Vegas or NYC but there are strip clubs, decent bars and a semblance of nightlife if you know what you're doing. Also we don't have Ben and Jerry's here, but ice cream is A Thing since what else are you going to do for a date when you don't drink booze OR coffee or see R rated movies? Any place outside of SLC proper is going to be Stepford Wives poo poo but the city itself is fine. Abandon all hope all ye who enter Provo.

If any of y'all ever find yourself having to come here let me know and I'll take you out and get you proper drunk. Our system is like any other: once you know how to game it you're fine.

edit: We also have Polygamy Porter, how can you go wrong there?

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 23, 2012

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Oh, how I love this time of year, working at a college bar that pays us for every fake ID we catch. 5th one in two weeks, thanks for that $150 dumb freshmen who don't know that we're the one bar you don't try to use your fake at.

I dunno if this is regional or not but just in case, pay extra attention to any of the older style South Dakota ID's, the ones with the blue background. We've caught a couple dozen fakes of that ID that are actually pretty well done, but the background is a noticeably lighter shade of blue.

Hell, if there is any interest in fake ID's and how to catch them, I'll bring home some of them, scan them in and show you what to look for.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Got hired. :frogc00l:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JawKnee posted:

Got hired. :frogc00l:

Great job. What'd you end up doing for clothes?

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!

Dirnok posted:

Hell, if there is any interest in fake ID's and how to catch them, I'll bring home some of them, scan them in and show you what to look for.

I'm certainly interested. Won't ever use the knowledge, but I'd love to see what you have to say.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I ended up up going with grey jeans, a t-shirt, a plaid print button up with the sleeves rolled, and for flair: my docs

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Training a new bartender so I'm working the floor; forgot how much I hate the hand motions and Disney smile. Popped across the street to have a shot at another bar, found one of my old regulars now bartends there. Nothing like a safety meeting in someone else's bar during your shift.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
We were short staffed tonight so I pulled a double while bussing tables for the last quarter, which was where I'd originally gotten my start. I'd forgotten how much I hated being a glorified janitor and turning my brain off for 5 hours to get through a shift. NEVER AGAIN.

please

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Melange, are you going to PDX? Also, where do you work?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Choom Gangster posted:

Melange, are you going to PDX? Also, where do you work?
no run amok or PDX for me, but I trust you know and/or have been glitter bombed by my friends. Come say hello when you are bound for the east coast again. It's a small drunk after all.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Its hot and humid as gently caress (Spring in Australia, woo) and our bar is always just too hot to be comfortable. Tonight is gunna be a shocker. Can't wait for Summer :geno:

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

no run amok or PDX for me, but I trust you know and/or have been glitter bombed by my friends. Come say hello when you are bound for the east coast again. It's a small drunk after all.

You still haven't said where you work. Are you in NYC? For some reason I thought that's where you were. I didn't get glitter bombed, because I'm not Jason Littrell, but I do have friends in the city. Payman from PDT is a very good friend, and Polsky and Chris from Amor and Proletariat are friends, almost everyone that now works at Maison Priemere is from Tucson, including Maxwell the bar manager. Oh, and Yael, she's all over the place.

So yeah, there is a decent chance we share friends of acquaintances.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone have any bartendning geared resume examples? I'm thinking about shopping myself around, and it looks like most of the jobs available (on CL anyway) are wanting resumes. Guess it's a new thing, never had to it before. Also noticed a few adds wanting pictures and links to facebook pages what the gently caress.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Choom Gangster posted:

You still haven't said where you work. Are you in NYC? For some reason I thought that's where you were. I didn't get glitter bombed, because I'm not Jason Littrell, but I do have friends in the city. Payman from PDT is a very good friend, and Polsky and Chris from Amor and Proletariat are friends, almost everyone that now works at Maison Priemere is from Tucson, including Maxwell the bar manager. Oh, and Yael, she's all over the place.

So yeah, there is a decent chance we share friends of acquaintances.

PM me for more details since this is a public forum, but yes, we know the same folks. Had oysters and drinks from Maison's new royal menu the other night, good poo poo.

Mattastic
Oct 9, 2007
i like kitty

Had oysters and drinks from Maison's new royal menu the other night, good poo poo.

Their happy hour is the best. Nothing like eating a dozen oysters on the cheap and getting nice and warm on absinthe in the afternoon.

On an unrelated note, just found a rent statement at the poo poo hole I've been tending at over the summer that shows my employers are $120,000 behind on their rent. Not exactly a surprise, but having a hard time wrapping my head around the number. They just opened up a new restaurant next door too. How any of this is possible, I just don't understand.

Thank God I'm on my way out, and they don't owe me any money.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

leica posted:

Anyone have any bartendning geared resume examples? I'm thinking about shopping myself around, and it looks like most of the jobs available (on CL anyway) are wanting resumes. Guess it's a new thing, never had to it before. Also noticed a few adds wanting pictures and links to facebook pages what the gently caress.

Having photos and whatnot is something I've seen on CL ads since I started getting into bartending about 4 years ago now. It's just something those ads want. Honestly, as that old wisdom in the thread goes, if you want a decent turn-around time or actually know a place you want to work at, just go in in person with a resume or whatever you've got. I've been interviewed on the spot a couple of times when I did this.

And it was with a fairly standard looking resume. Descriptions were short and sweet of what I did at a given place, what POS I might've worked/lack thereof, some jargon here and there, and a handful of gloat pieces (implemented/planned specials menu and saw xyz nights grow in overall popularity/revenue, whatever) that were actually true. I dunno. It worked for me, but I work at a goddamn dive now so my input may be pretty much a dead end.

Edit: also did the CL route a couple times. I got replies (no joke) four to six months later.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 5, 2012

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
I had a group of customers tonight have a big whine that their mojitos were undrinkable because "they taste like rum. I hate rum!"
Pretty on par with the lady who complained her margarita was undrinkable because it tasted so much of tequila.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ubermarcus posted:

I had a group of customers tonight have a big whine that their mojitos were undrinkable because "they taste like rum. I hate rum!"
Pretty on par with the lady who complained her margarita was undrinkable because it tasted so much of tequila.

Be thankful those are your customers. The I CAINT TASTE DA LIKKER crowd is far worse to deal with and doesn't tip worth a gently caress.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Be thankful those are your customers. The I CAINT TASTE DA LIKKER crowd is far worse to deal with and doesn't tip worth a gently caress.
being a cocktail bar, I can usually get away with saying "that's the point" to those cats, unless it's Saturday and I can't hear them over the dj, at which point welp.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

That's one reason I like bartending in Vancouver (or BC in general really), every liquor and liqueur has to be measured with 1oz shot glasses, so unless you're a sloppy pour (in which case I think it's perfectly valid for a customer to get uppity), you can just say "That's the drink, I can put another shot in if you want but it's gonna cost you."

That said, ubermarcus, how are you making your Mojitos? Up here that's a single oz of rum and I like to make those more... girly drinks in a collins type glass - so it's damned difficult to taste any alcohol on that - especially if it's white rum.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

That's one of my pet peeves with Canada. You shouldn't have to ask for a double mojito, margarita, caeser etc. That's the drink.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

ubermarcus posted:

Are you me? I had this exact same thing last night as well. We changed it to a different cocktail for free but if it was up to me it would've been :fuckoff:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

nrr posted:

That's one of my pet peeves with Canada. You shouldn't have to ask for a double mojito, margarita, caeser etc. That's the drink.

Caesar was invented in Canada and calls for 1 oz of Vodka.

That's one of the things I like about America: 2 oz is standard for pretty much everything.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
1.5 is the standard American highball pour IMO.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

being a cocktail bar, I can usually get away with saying "that's the point" to those cats, unless it's Saturday and I can't hear them over the dj, at which point welp.

My response is "I can make you a well Scotch and water, I bet you'll taste that"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

leica posted:

My response is "I can make you a well Scotch and water, I bet you'll taste that"

I once had a customer ask me for a dozen shots, without specifying anything - not even a base liquor or if the shots were for a group of guys or girls.

I poured rail tequila straight, no salt or lime. I didn't even get a complaint, surprisingly enough.

Caveat: We were slammed at the time, and this guy had been annoying us all night long. I figured if I asked him what kind of shots, it would be 10 different kinds, all either rimmed or layered or something else stupid.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I once watched a non tipping British fellow consume an apple martini that was 1/4 Apple Pucker and 3/4 sour mix out of the gun.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

I once watched a non tipping British fellow consume an apple martini that was 1/4 Apple Pucker and 3/4 sour mix out of the gun.

He had that coming.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

He had that coming.

The weird part was he didn't complain or bat an eye. Just drank his vaguely green non-alcoholic thing and went away.

Later that day two British girls accused me of selling glasses of champagne out of their bottle (that they'd left sitting there in the ice bucket) to others at the bar. Think that was the same day. Bleh.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm so happy I don't work in a "posh" bar anymore- having to apologize to dickheads over bullshit complaints was incredibly depressing. I know work in a working class pub in the Ned (Scottish version of a chav) area of Aberdeen, my regulars are insane or ex bikers and football casuals (better than any fascist bouncers), my boss is a 50 something foul mouthed "Torry quine" who's been chucked out of other pubs on the street and anything like what I've just read on this last page would be promptly met with a curt "dinnae be a fucken' oval office" or "git tae gently caress!". I derive personal pleasure from telling the dolled up anglophiles ("omg did you see TOWIE this week?") that "we don't do cocktails. You can have an irn bru WKD if you don't fancy beer."

Coohoolin, bartender/rear end man, local pub in N.E. of Scotland.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Coohoolin posted:

I'm so happy I don't work in a "posh" bar anymore- having to apologize to dickheads over bullshit complaints was incredibly depressing. I know work in a working class pub in the Ned (Scottish version of a chav) area of Aberdeen, my regulars are insane or ex bikers and football casuals (better than any fascist bouncers), my boss is a 50 something foul mouthed "Torry quine" who's been chucked out of other pubs on the street and anything like what I've just read on this last page would be promptly met with a curt "dinnae be a fucken' oval office" or "git tae gently caress!". I derive personal pleasure from telling the dolled up anglophiles ("omg did you see TOWIE this week?") that "we don't do cocktails. You can have an irn bru WKD if you don't fancy beer."

Coohoolin, bartender/rear end man, local pub in N.E. of Scotland.

Holy poo poo I have no idea what most of this means but I'm glad to see we have some international tenders in the thread

I had this conversation yesterday:
:j: How much is a Bud Light in a bottle?
:) $4.75
:j: How much is one of the large drafts?
:) $5.50
:j: Ok so it's a better deal to get the large draft then. Give me one of those, but make it Miller Lite
:( I don't have Miller Lite on draft, I just have it in a bottle
:j: Why not!? That's stupid! Who doesn't have Miller Lite on draft!? Well just give me two bottles of Miller Lite and pour them in a large glass and only charge me for 1 because that's really not fair to me that you don't have Miller Lite on draft.
(At this point I was just flabbergasted)
:( Ummm....it's really not fair to ME to give you 2 beers for the price of one so I'm not going to do that

Then her friend goes "Just give her 1 bottle of Miller Lite" and then she turned to the crazy woman and said "You're an idiot."

It just blew my mind that someone would think they were entitled to free drinks because we don't carry their favorite beer on tap. And why would she even ask me about the Bud Light if she wanted Miller instead? I was so confused.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yo Daric there are people that go from bar to loving bar doing this poo poo all day like it's their job. A 5% shot at a free beer is worth it to them. She's a grifter.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Daric posted:

Holy poo poo I have no idea what most of this means but I'm glad to see we have some international tenders in the thread

I had this conversation yesterday:
:j: How much is a Bud Light in a bottle?
:) $4.75
:j: How much is one of the large drafts?
:) $5.50
:j: Ok so it's a better deal to get the large draft then. Give me one of those, but make it Miller Lite
:( I don't have Miller Lite on draft, I just have it in a bottle
:j: Why not!? That's stupid! Who doesn't have Miller Lite on draft!? Well just give me two bottles of Miller Lite and pour them in a large glass and only charge me for 1 because that's really not fair to me that you don't have Miller Lite on draft.
(At this point I was just flabbergasted)
:( Ummm....it's really not fair to ME to give you 2 beers for the price of one so I'm not going to do that

Then her friend goes "Just give her 1 bottle of Miller Lite" and then she turned to the crazy woman and said "You're an idiot."

It just blew my mind that someone would think they were entitled to free drinks because we don't carry their favorite beer on tap. And why would she even ask me about the Bud Light if she wanted Miller instead? I was so confused.

Pubs in Scotland are queer things- on the one hand, choking licensing laws make it very difficult to give the job the ambience of freedom you might expect from a country famous for its alcoholism. On the other hand, the attitude of "we're all a merry bunch of alkies so don't be a dick and drink the loving Fosters if you don't like Kronenbourg, that's all we bloody have" still pervades. I have some weird/funny stories about some of my regulars and some of the people I've banned. First, vocabulary:

Ned - "Non-Educated Delinquent". You know the type. Hoodies, probably Rangers fans, spend their days pretending to do BMX tricks, asking people on the street for fags, and carrying knives around to "feckin knife ony oval office wha's got a fucken problem!" (FYI "oval office" around here is pretty much on the same level as "chap". D'ye ken Craig? Fit, Dicky's auld mate fae Fife? Oh aye, he's a guid oval office like."
Casuals - The Aberdeen Soccer Casuals. Essentially invented football hooliganism as it is known today, Burberry, Fred Perry and all.
Torry - An area of Aberdeen notorious for delinquency and violence. Just saw in the papers today that a 21 year old guy was killed by two women, aged 13 and 23. gently caress knows over what.
Doric - The Aberdonian dialect, which can be so thick to be essentially another language altogether, with a mishmash of Gaelic, Scandinavian languages and Dutch.
Quine - Doric for girl. For boys, it's "Loon".
Dinnae - Don't
Git tae - Get to. "Git tae gently caress" is essentially "gently caress off".
TOWIE - The Only Way Is Essex. Terrible, terrible soap about privileged English people with way too much fake tan.
Irn Bru - After whisky, Scotland's national drink. An orange soft drink, originally made for the steel factory workers of the country, that my Eastern European friends tell me tastes a lot like a popular soviet era bubblegum.
WKD - A vodka based alcopop.

Regulars:
Graham - Former biker, mates with a lot of old Casuals, although probably never actually a member himself. Will get pissed on 1664 and go on at length about how poo poo music is nowadays. I'm convinced everyone's got a Graham in their bar.
George - Must be in his mid to late 70s. Comes in at 2, 3 in the afternoon and starts drinking. Has a few, mutters something about getting home to the wife, and vanishes for a few hours. Shows up at about 7 in the evening, fistful of notes, and picks up where he left off. After a few more pints he will invariably ask you the same question- "Listen loon, are ye happy wi' yer life?" No matter what the answer is, his response is ALWAYS: "Just remember, never get married. Dinnae dae it."
Chico - 70 year old chap with crazy eyes. After a few drinks he brings out his party tricks: placing a fag on his shoe, doing a split and leaning over to pick it up with his mouth from his foot.
Anne - Fat, greasy 50 something woman who makes out with whoever will let her. Hits on me constantly.

Banned folk:
Garth - Notorious in Aberdeen. Looks like a grizzly bear. Has a home, but prefers to sleep in the street. Hasn't washed in 20 years. Was once caught in the bar where my girlfriend works washing his hair in the urinal. I had been trying to ban him for ever but the old management never gave a gently caress. Managed to get him banned when they sold the place.
Ivan - Former successful offshore worker, now deranged kleptomaniac. Nicked a bottle of Bacardi, came back in the next day to say he owed us for a bottle. We kept him around in the hope that he would pay us back. Banned him when he nicked a bottle of gin from a charity function (it was a raffle prize) and was nearly battered to death by Graham when he came to bring it back, apology note and all. Used to bring stuff he'd nicked from Waterstones and rubbish bins and try to sell it. Once gave my colleague a book on Willie Miller. Saw him once walking home past a council estate. Walks up to me to show me a bleeding ear, points over to a woman sitting on the steps outside the estate, and says "see her? That's my girlfriend." Seeing him point, some guy angrily starts flipping him off. "Who's that?" "Oh, that's her pimp. He did this to me." *points to his ear*. I told him to gently caress off.

Will post more when I think of the best stories about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Will post more when I think of the best stories about them.

Please do, that was a very enjoyable read

• Locked thread