Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
My Home SSLP thread is live! Thanks for the help and feedback everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Crossposting from Super Robot Wars Megathread:

So uh, it is alright if I post this Super Robot Wars Alpha playthrough I've been working on and off of for a while?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 27, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The Blackest Goon posted:

So uh, it is alright if I post this Super Robot Wars Alpha playthrough I've been working on and off of for a while?
As a thread of it's own....I'd say probably not. I mean you've got no commentary (unless I missed it as I was skipping through the first 10 minutes of the first video), most of the game is in Japanese without any explanation of what any of it means, and you've already finished what I assume to be a reasonable chunk of the game so it pretty much falls into the realm of a dump (unless you were going to space them out reasonable in a thread). Also video wise you've got some really noticeable interlacing problems going on and I assume they go on in every video, and that just looks kinda bad overall...not to mention going back to the whole lack of commentary and lack of anything a non-Japanese person could understand.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Reiterating what I said in the SRW thread:

Silentman0 posted:

If you're meaning to upload this as a Let's Play, you need to do some heavy editing, plus a turn-based RPG really isn't best done as a pure video experience. Also, it's completely confusing to someone who hasn't already played it if you don't have any commentary or translation.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Niggurath posted:

As a thread of it's own....I'd say probably not. I mean you've got no commentary (unless I missed it as I was skipping through the first 10 minutes of the first video), most of the game is in Japanese without any explanation of what any of it means, and you've already finished what I assume to be a reasonable chunk of the game so it pretty much falls into the realm of a dump (unless you were going to space them out reasonable in a thread). Also video wise you've got some really noticeable interlacing problems going on and I assume they go on in every video, and that just looks kinda bad overall...not to mention going back to the whole lack of commentary and lack of anything a non-Japanese person could understand.

As for the video issues, check my newer videos. As for the commentary, I only use text commentary, as I mostly despise audio commentary. This game has 65 stages (or Scenarios)

I would almost argue this is something I'm doing more for myself than anything. But when the english translation by Fan translation group Aeon Genesis gets released, I'll more than likely switch to that.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 27, 2012

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Per

As for the video issues, check my newer videos. As for the commentary, I only use text commentary, as I mostly despise audio commentary. This game has 65 stages (or Scenarios)

I would almost argue this something I'm doing more for myself

Perhaps if you prefer text commentary it would be best to make a screenshot LP of it? It would also give you the chance to provide some translation notes.

If its something you're doing or yourself then mayhaps you shouldn't post an LP of it, since it sounds like that's your reason for not wanting to improve the quality.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

I would almost argue this is something I'm doing more for myself than anything. But when the english translation by Fan translation group Aeon Genesis gets released, I'll more than likely switch to that.
Welp, I checked up to scenario 9 and it was still occurring, so no idea when you might have fixed it but it really should been fixed in the first video. As to the commentary; you mention text commentary but I'm not sure if you mean subtitles or not because I didn't see any subtitles or commentary of any sort. And if this is for yourself then why ask if it'd be cool to post, why even record? Play it for yourself then and keep it private. If you wanted an opinion though, then you got one of those too. Also why not just wait till the fan translation is done? Why start using it 19 missions into the game?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Does anyone get a lot of complaints off-site about the level of cursing present in the commentary? I presume Chorocojo and I aren't the only people who say "gently caress" a lot.

I mean admittedly yeah we do swear like, well, a sailor and a physicist, but seriously. Is this really a weird sticking point to people?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Been meaning to do an SSLP of Shattered Union ever since Top Hats Monthly's died, and I finally managed to get off my rear end and put together the test post.

The idea is that since there's already been one and a half LPs that were pretty much purely mechanical, I'd do one that was a lot more narrative instead.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2962 - OP, explains what's going on

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2963 - Sample post

Any thoughts? I'm personally concerned I might not be taking enough screenshots to convey what's going on, or that the style I've got so far could be a complete turn-off.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zorak posted:

Does anyone get a lot of complaints off-site about the level of cursing present in the commentary? I presume Chorocojo and I aren't the only people who say "gently caress" a lot.

I mean admittedly yeah we do swear like, well, a sailor and a physicist, but seriously. Is this really a weird sticking point to people?

Yeah, some of them. A few people see commentary as just sounding better if not peppered with profanity. I've been trying to limit my use outside of DMing just for that purpose.

For what it's worth there are a few people where its... not OVERuse, I guess, but MISuse put me off of their stuff.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I agree that it's more about context. If something is particularly frustrating then the occasional 'gently caress' or 'damnit' will fit, if after the initial screw up you edit out the other failures and move on. Sometimes it can be funny, like if someone almost completes a platforming puzzle on their first try and falls near the end, for the sake of Schadenfreude (pronounced Scootenfruudi). If overdone it can get tiresome though, as it starts to seem like you don't actually have anything to say, and are just padding time out.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Zorak posted:

Nope, never had an issue with swearing. Then again I something swear in the video titles on youtube. So perhaps people already know what to expect.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zorak posted:

I have no problem with it when watching, I try to avoid swearing excessively myself though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zorak posted:

I've had one person comment on the level of profanity in my videos, but this person is a fundamentalist Christian, so that's probably why. I do try to limit my profanities, because I think it loses its impact if it's overused, and becomes annoying. I mostly only swear after something particularly frustrating, or hilarious... and I tent to swear more in voice commentary than in subs, for some reason.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

njsykora posted:

I have no problem with it when watching, I try to avoid swearing excessively myself though.

I agree with this. I watch a lot of videos with swearing but I avoid using it in my videos since I know I have a young cousin subscribed to my channel.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember watching KFJ's God Hand LP and getting put off when he started talking about oval office-kicking, but that's more because I just don't like the word. Overuse of swearing as a whole just makes me think of all the folks out there still trying to do the Angry Internet Critic thing and I can be plenty unfunny on my own without trying to ape anyone, thank you :colbert:

Dr. Dubious
Dec 5, 2010

Amputee Ninja Ryu Hayabusa
I know that I (probably sub-conciously) swear less while LPing. Outside of LPing I swear like a sailor on shore leave.

I have to agree with the other sentiments, swearing is fine in context. It can be used to increase a jokes humour, and there isn't much wrong with chaining together some swear words for some interesting swear-combos, as well as inventing your own! I'm talking pretty standard levels, like asshat, not AVGN levels with diarrhea buffalo dicks. Going into those levels you just come off as someone who swears for the sake of swearing and it's the fastest way to get me to close that window.

Basically, I ain't no prude :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah swearing in LPs should be seasoning to a steak, used well it can accentuate a point or add extra punch to a joke. Used badly it just leaves your mouth dry.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

njsykora posted:

Yeah swearing in LPs should be seasoning to a steak, used well it can accentuate a point or add extra punch to a joke. Used badly it just leaves your mouth dry.

I think you should just talk naturally because deliberately thinking about whether or not you should punch up your LPing with some totally awesome swearing is going to make your commentary come across as unnatural or forced and also it's goony as gently caress to worry about whether or not your swearing is harming the integrity of your Let's Plays.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Hrmmmm, does this look good for the most part? Yes I know its without commentary, it's just a small bonus video so I wasn't sure if I should bother since I'm primarily doing a SS oriented thread. I'm not positive if I should decrease the volume in audacity or something. I can never tell since I tend to have my volume set incredibly low, so nothing ever sounds too loud.

Youtube

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

for the sake of Schadenfreude (pronounced Scootenfruudi).

That is not how to pronounce schadenfreude.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Eulisker posted:

Yeah it is man, you should get some real resources.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Eulisker posted:

Yeah it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3_DjiLLDfo

Edit: OFS! :argh:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I had been thinking about doing a screenshot LP of the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion.
So, I wrote a first entry (with a pretty rough intro, as it turns out screenshot LPs are really hard!) and just want to make sure it's okay, any glaring errors I'm oblivious to, anything that needs fixing, etc.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2978
Comments and suggestions would be welcome.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
The guy who mentioned context nailed it. I mean, there are LPers on here where 'gently caress' is every second word but it comes across that that's just how they talk and shoot poo poo among friends so you don't bat an eye. But some YouTube LPers sound like they're putting on an act in an attempt to ride on the angry gamer waves of popularity and it's just awkward as all hell. Basically, I don't give a drat how vulgar or clean someone carries themselves as long as they carry themselves naturally.

EDIT: And no, I've never really gotten an overabundance of complaints about cursing outside of a couple oddball PMs on YouTube, and I'm pretty loose with it.

Violen fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 27, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

VagueRant posted:

I had been thinking about doing a screenshot LP of the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion.
So, I wrote a first entry (with a pretty rough intro, as it turns out screenshot LPs are really hard!) and just want to make sure it's okay, any glaring errors I'm oblivious to, anything that needs fixing, etc.

I'd add a bit of space between the in-game dialogue and your commentary so it's a bit easier to distinguish between the two. You may also want to consider adding portraits, though since most conversations in Oblivion are between you and another character, it's not really as necessary as other games.

You also probably want to give a brief summary of how the game starts for people who've never played before. You don't really need to spend too much time on it, but just give an idea of how the game starts.

The big thing is whether this one quest really needs its own LP. Granted, it does have some decent length to it, and it's probably the best quest line in Oblivion, but it can probably be done in a few updates. Now, if an Oblivion megathread could be organized where several people did various quest lines, then that could be a great idea. Hell, even on its own, it might work. It really depends on what everyone else thinks. For the record, I think it might work as its own thread.

Other than that, all I can really suggest is be a bit more informative in the later updates. Not much to talk about to start with, obviously, but the quest line becomes pretty awesome later on, so some solid commentary would really sell it.

I do hope this ends up sparking some sort of Oblivion megathread where several goons do their own playthroughs of certain quest lines.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Avenue Q lied to me!

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember watching KFJ's God Hand LP and getting put off when he started talking about oval office-kicking, but that's more because I just don't like the word. Overuse of swearing as a whole just makes me think of all the folks out there still trying to do the Angry Internet Critic thing and I can be plenty unfunny on my own without trying to ape anyone, thank you :colbert:

It was oval office-punching, actually.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mega64 posted:

I do hope this ends up sparking some sort of Oblivion megathread where several goons do their own playthroughs of certain quest lines.

I'd be hesitant about it. The last few times we got Oblivion test posts they have been pretty bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Brainamp posted:

I'd be hesitant about it. The last few times we got Oblivion test posts they have been pretty bad.

All the more reason to try to organize a good Oblivion LP, then!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

VagueRant posted:

Really? 600 * 480 screenshots? Make them bigger, please. I agree that an Oblivion megathread, each with a different character, would be better than just the one questline.

If you wanted, you could probably make videos of sections you know will be interesting, like sleeping for the first time, the conversations in the DB headquarters, and some of the assassinations. (You don't have to record everything, especially not travel time.)

One other problem is that a lot of the fun from Oblivion and such games is making up your own stories, your own characters organically as you play. Your commentary is informative, but dry and not particularly interesting.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

It was oval office-punching, actually.

I stand humbly corrected.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I dunno, the screenshot size is fine for me. I feel like at some point you're really pushing both file sizes and screen space.

Also, I feel like you need to plan out what you're going to if you want to do something like Oblivion, and still stay open-ended. An update with "Hey I'm just some dude guess I'll kill an NPC?" isn't really much of a hook to keep people's attention with. Maybe you should try starting off doing parts of the main quest to kind of settle into things, and then branch off from there in a more natural way.

One more thing, don't jump around so much that it makes it difficult for the viewer to follow your actions. Skipping over boring travel sequences is good, but don't forget to contextualize what you're doing for everyone else at times.

Mega64 posted:

This is an awesome concept and I really want to try this.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Zorak posted:

So long as it fits, flows, isn't forced and non-sequitur it typically never an issue. Keep it to traditional four letter words and refraining from the silly "What a fart-fucker" poo poo that spews from YouTube shenanigans and it works.

Well that and moderation; shouldn't sound like an LP version of Eddie Murphy's "Raw" either.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I fuckin' swear all the time.

If that bothers someone, then my videos are probably not for them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Zorak posted:

I swear all the time in person and on the boards, but I actually don't swear in my LPs. Not sure why. I guess the games I've done are all family friendly, so it doesn't make sense to make a non-family friendly LP of that kind of game. Not that I expect anyone except adults to be viewing them, for the most part.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Welp, I checked up to scenario 9 and it was still occurring, so no idea when you might have fixed it but it really should been fixed in the first video. As to the commentary; you mention text commentary but I'm not sure if you mean subtitles or not because I didn't see any subtitles or commentary of any sort.

Did you watch the entire video? I'm not constantly commenting on things, just certain parts of my gameplay of the stage that I found humorous or frustrating.

Niggurath posted:

And if this is for yourself then why ask if it'd be cool to post, why even record? Play it for yourself then and keep it private. If you wanted an opinion though, then you got one of those too. Also why not just wait till the fan translation is done? Why start using it 19 missions into the game?

My playthrough is mostly for the initiated: Those who know about and have played the game I'm playing, only difference is my playthrough is more slightly more in depth (and of a higher level of gameplay) than most other video playthroughs of these games. There's no point in stopping now, and I honestly don't mind if few people watch. As long as my videos help someone playing this game, then I'll say I've done a satisfactory job...

I feel as if I might've come off a little selfish with these posts I've made in this thread. It was not my intention. Sorry if anyone felt that way reading them :(

As for the video issues, what was the problem again? Interlacing?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 28, 2012

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Did you watch the entire video? I'm not constantly commenting on things, just certain parts of my gameplay of the stage that I found humorous or frustrating.

If you're going to do this, than just do a Screenshot LP. SRW games do not work in straight VLP format, especially if you're going to use text commentary anyway.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Is it possible to do both? Is it weird to say that I kinda enjoy recording and editing these videos?...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Is it possible to do both? Is it weird to say that I kinda enjoy recording and editing these videos?...

It would be cool to get videos of the different units attacks, but I would think it would get repetitive after awhile.

• Locked thread