Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

evil_bunnY posted:

Sooooo bring a body and flip it if you don't like it? It's like free rental if the price is so good.

It's more that I didn't know whether the lens worked okay or not and the shop wasn't local to me. I'd rather have been able to check that it focussed okay or not.

That and I am trying to get smaller lenses and reduce the weight that I carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

spog posted:

I just found a Canon EF 100 f2.8 macro in a charity shop.

However, they wanted £200 for it - which is a good price, but I had no body to test it with and I'm not about to drop that kind of money on a gamble.

Still thinking about it...probably would have been worth a punt, but I'm feeling chicken.

in London?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

in London?

Melton Mowbray (home of the pork pie).

On the offchance that I return there, I will take a body to test it, but I am sure it will be gone by then.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

You never know! I don't think anyone is looking for good camera stuff in charity shops.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

You never know! I don't think anyone is looking for good camera stuff in charity shops.

I always make it a point to pop my head in and take a look.

I am sure that Leica stuff will get the attention of many, but I hope that Voightlander and Rollei might slip past the blue rinse brigade.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
One of woot fatigue's groupon photos is being used as ad on facebook right now. Pretty cool.

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM
I just (very) briefly debated on selective color... at a wedding reception... on red solo cups.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

As long as the jorts are left blue as well, go for it

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

As long as the jorts are left blue as well, go for it

This was my first wedding gig so yes there were jorts everywhere!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Santa is strapped posted:

What made me cringe was the way he just slammed the back back onto the body. I handle all my cameras like they're made of 1mm sheet of glasss. Sheesh

I thought he was going to put a corner of the magazine through the back shutter of the body :q:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

At a wedding ceremony, I recently attended, the wedding photographer was shooting with a digital Habbelbad, which I thought was kinda cool. But he was also shooting in harsh afternoon sunlight without any sort of lighting. I haven't actually seen the wedding photos yet, but hopefully they turned out okay.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Of course they'll be okay, it's a Hasselblad.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Rated PG-34 posted:

At a wedding ceremony, I recently attended, the wedding photographer was shooting with a digital Habbelbad, which I thought was kinda cool. But he was also shooting in harsh afternoon sunlight without any sort of lighting. I haven't actually seen the wedding photos yet, but hopefully they turned out okay.
I doubled as "assistant wedding photographer" a while back. Dude was poo poo. Never adjusted his flash, blew the wedding dress out and was out of focus on quite a bit of shots.

They ended up using mine.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

red19fire posted:

Of course they'll be okay, it's a Hasselblad.

...OR IS IT?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Not sure I'd want to rely on a hassie's AF for a wedding.

I hate weddings

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

I hate weddings
Me too. Been to one as a photographer. I am about to get married the Albanian way and they want me, the groom, to take pictures.

The gently caress?

Granted I have a new canon but seriously...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

At least you know you won't be seeing tired cliches like jumping in the air.

quote:

I hate weddings

Lots of bridesmaids.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

a digital Habbelbad

She'll go 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Soulex posted:

the Albanian way [...] they want me, the groom, to take pictures.

Is... is that some Albanian custom?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

...OR IS IT?

To be fair, I didn't examine it closely, so it may have been a Haggleflab.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Is... is that some Albanian custom?
No it's not. I made the mistake of saying I did it.

Albanian customs are weird. I get to watch everyone stick money down my wife's cleavage for one and I am only supposed to be at my own party for 3-4 hours.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

To be fair, I didn't examine it closely, so it may have been a Haggleflab.

Wasn't that a house in Harry Potter?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Soulex posted:

Albanian customs are weird. I get to watch everyone stick money down my wife's cleavage for one and I am only supposed to be at my own party for 3-4 hours.

Where are you supposed to go after your 3-4 hours are up?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

squidflakes posted:

Cleavage-emptying duties?

Which must give you a wonderful 'I've just married a stripper' feeling.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

squidflakes posted:

Doesn't matter. Essentially what I do is show up to a party for the bride. I arrive, big hoopla, and much drinking ( holy gently caress do these people drink). At about 2am I am expected to leave and throw my own party later on that day.

Albanians drink a lot. They don't make one toast. They toast you, your dad, your mom, your hope for kids, your grandma, etc.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I just arrived in London this morning. I'll be here for the next year so I'm expecting to hear from you Brit Dorkroomers. I don't have a phone yet, so hit me up over PM or mcmadcow at gee mail and let's hang out and take pictures.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Soulex posted:

Doesn't matter. Essentially what I do is show up to a party for the bride. I arrive, big hoopla, and much drinking ( holy gently caress do these people drink). At about 2am I am expected to leave and throw my own party later on that day.

Albanians drink a lot. They don't make one toast. They toast you, your dad, your mom, your hope for kids, your grandma, etc.

Sounds a lot like a Polish wedding. If those similarities continue, there will be a lot of tiny fingerfood served with the booze; much of it pickled. Eat that poo poo, it will keep you sane.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Soulex posted:

Are you sure they aren't just making things up on the spot?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Everyone drinks a lot. It's not some unique cultural identifier.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

psylent posted:

Everyone drinks a lot. It's not some unique cultural identifier.

I want a culture somewhere to start identifying itself by how little it drinks, just to see what kind of jokes people would try to make out of it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xzzy posted:

I want a culture somewhere to start identifying itself by how little it drinks, just to see what kind of jokes people would try to make out of it.

"Amish"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
"Islam"

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
"mormon"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The bartender at the bar I go to when I have to wait around at the mall is mormon.

I guess their faith doesn't prohibit enabling other people to get absolutely shameful.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Soulex posted:

I am only supposed to be at my own party for 3-4 hours.
You truly have no idea how lucky you are compared to most american grooms.

Soulex posted:

probably because if they let grooms drink as long as the guests every wife ever would be very disappointed come wedding night.

Only in public. Most moderate Muslims, and non-radicals living in predominantly muslim countries drink.

Either that or my friends and their friends are alcoholics.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 28, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

my friends are alcoholics.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

You truly have no idea how lucky you are compared to most american grooms.

probably because if they let grooms drink as long as the guests every wife ever would be very disappointed come wedding night.

Only in public. Most moderate Muslims, and non-radicals living in predominantly muslim countries drink.

Either that or my friends and their friends are alcoholics.
Yeah. It's a lot nicer than American weddings. There isn't an "I do" part of it. Just a nice party. Except it goes from 7-8pm till 4am.

And yes. If the groom drank as much as most of us at the last wedding I went to, he would have been as hungover as the rest of us for his part of the wedding.

I am sure I will be taking pictures again. I just didn't understand how they could hire me as a photographer for my own wedding.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Soulex posted:

Yeah. It's a lot nicer than American weddings. There isn't an "I do" part of it. Just a nice party. Except it goes from 7-8pm till 4am.

And yes. If the groom drank as much as most of us at the last wedding I went to, he would have been as hungover as the rest of us for his part of the wedding.

I am sure I will be taking pictures again. I just didn't understand how they could hire me as a photographer for my own wedding.

Wait, how much are you getting paid?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

McMadCow posted:

I just arrived in London this morning. I'll be here for the next year so I'm expecting to hear from you Brit Dorkroomers. I don't have a phone yet, so hit me up over PM or mcmadcow at gee mail and let's hang out and take pictures.

Come watch motor racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

Wait, how much are you getting paid?
I wouldn't be paid if they wanted me to shoot.

I learned the hard way that once your family and friends know you do photography they want you to cover everything.