Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

N239JB by PHLAIRLINE.COM, on Flickr
Sarah Palin's 2008 campaign ERJ-195. This particular ERJ set a distance record for the model by flying 3100 miles from Anchorage to Buffalo after dumping the loser off in Alaska on the way to be repainted and put back into normal JetBlue service.

America First! *flies Brazilian aircraft*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Also, Willard "Mitt" Romney;

You are worth $200,000,000. One can buy a decent low-time 733 for under $5,000,000 USD nowadays. Why are you flying a plane as old as I am?

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Polymerized Cum posted:

You are worth $200,000,000. One can buy a decent low-time 733 for under $5,000,000 USD nowadays. Why are you flying a plane as old as I am?

Ya don't get rich by spending money.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Because it doesn't matter, buying a plane for a short time is a terrible investment, he's putting on relatively very few hours, replacement parts are still easy to find, and the MD80 is still reliable and remarkably quiet in the front of the aircraft?

Also, he doesn't care and it doesn't matter.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I am a single issue voter: the candidate's plane.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I need a list of Kerry, Gore and GWB's planes to prove this hypothesis correct.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Polymerized Cum posted:

I need a list of Kerry, Gore and GWB's planes to prove this hypothesis correct.
Bush-Cheney had a 757: http://www.airliners.net/photo/North-American-Airlines/Boeing-757-28A/0110744/&sid=38a773a14cab588343a12d0c843206c0
Kerry-Edwards had a 757-200: http://www.airliners.net/photo/TransMeridian-Airlines-Kerry-Edwards/Boeing-757-236/0694291/&sid=8b080db2657cb4ceccf958f636df7f97
Dole 96 had a 727-200: pic
Gore-Lieberman was a DC-9 with Spirit logo for some reason: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Spirit-Airlines/McDonnell-Douglas-DC-9-31/1122485/M/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

757s are so ugly they just can't win popular elections. :v:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Colonial Air Force posted:

757s are so ugly they just can't win popular elections. :v:

You shut your mouth I love those rocket ships!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=19KMLpc5Uu8

Edited to prove point!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The campaign planes are normally just wet leases anyway, so that prolly explains the Spirit logos on Gore's. Also partially explains why Romney has an MD-83, cause there's tons ready for wet leasing probably cheap as hell.

Palin's ERJ was a wet lease from JetBlue, for example.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

monkeytennis posted:

You shut your mouth I love those rocket ships!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=19KMLpc5Uu8

Edited to prove point!

757s are terrible.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Hands down the single best aircraft has got to be the C-130H. 4NM a minute, 300 ft AGL, kicking 20 tons out the back to 1000 yard long DZ.

I am not the least bit biased.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Polymerized Cum posted:

Cygni posted:

The campaign planes are normally just wet leases anyway, so that prolly explains the Spirit logos on Gore's. Also partially explains why Romney has an MD-83, cause there's tons ready for wet leasing probably cheap as hell.

Palin's ERJ was a wet lease from JetBlue, for example.

A "wet lease" is when you basically rent an airplane with crew and such so you can just cut them a check instead of managing all the stuff yourself; at the end you don't have to sell the plane, just quit paying them.

It's the same reason the Obama campaign rents computer time from Amazon instead of buying servers.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

GTi posted:

This old girl will be making her first flight after an 8 year long rebuild this Saturday. I believe she will be the only flying Mosquito in the world.

It will be the only flying Mossie, and sadly, it looks like it could very well be the only one for a very long time. Because they're made from wood, most of the surviving Mosquitos are in generally poor condition; even if one was found to be in good enough shape to restore to airworthy, they're very hard to restore properly in the first place.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GTi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vQOY3d89JE

This old girl will be making her first flight after an 8 year long rebuild this Saturday. I believe she will be the only flying Mosquito in the world.

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured-article/warbird-ready-to-fly-new-zealand-mosquito-to-fly-on-saturday-september-29-2012.html

https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs

Any kiwi goons who want to check it out it's happening at Ardmore airfield, first flight at 10:30am.

:flashfap: My all-time favoritist aircraft! :flashfap:

GODDAMN it's nearly Down Under. poo poo.

GTi
Feb 1, 2006
16 valves of fury

PainterofCrap posted:

They took her up on a test flight today. Took off from Ardmore airfield where it was built, flew a few kilometres to Auckland international airport then took off a couple hours later. Apparently the only problem encountered was a broken airspeed indicator which has now been repaired. Here's some random photos and a video for you. None of these are mine, I've just grabbed them from various forums and facebook pages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLGbXc22Z-8

GTi fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 1, 2012

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This Mosquito had four cannons and four machine guns?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

This Mosquito had four cannons and four machine guns?

Load-out was either 4 20mm and 4 .303s, 4 .303s and a 57mm, or a glass nose.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It always blows my mind how they could build so many copies of something and so few of them survive. :(

Edit: VVV It goes for the metal ones too.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 27, 2012

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Plywood rots. :shrug:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
This guy is building a kitfox, live, on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V54GLj-C5sg

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PhotoKirk posted:

Or half the bombload of a B-17.

What a loving amazing aircraft. I love Goering's famous bitchpost about them.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

PainterofCrap posted:

You've seen this CGI animatic before, yes?

The first time I saw it, I was totally unsure if it was real up until the shot of the landing gear coming down. Such a terrific-looking plane!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PhotoKirk posted:

drat. I already knew a few amazing things about the Mosquito, but that's a lot of firepower.

Godholio posted:

It always blows my mind how they could build so many copies of something and so few of them survive. :(

You are not kidding.

- Fw 190 was one of the most produced aircraft in history with 20,000+ made; today 28 remain.

- The Me 109 did a bit better: out of 33,000 about 100 remain.

- Spitfires are similar: 20,000 made, about 50 remain.

- Of the some 18,000 B-24s that were made, about 20 remain.

- Of the 15,000 Ju 88s made, two still exist.

- The He 111 has a grand total of four out of 7,300.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Phanatic posted:

Said bitchpost:

Some Fat Bastard posted:

In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

You are not kidding.

And one of the most baffling:

Dornier 17, 2,100 built, was one of the most prominent and recognisable german bombers in the Battle of Britain and Spanish Civil War. Number of survivors... none until 2 years ago when a partially rusted away aircraft was found on the seabed.

On the plus side, they plan to restore it, although it's missing a *lot* of hardware, and they've yet to raise the remains even though they said they were going to do so in 2011.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Takeoff with zero flaps?

and those photos...that video...

I'll be right back

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:laffo: That is quite awesome.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Godholio posted:

:laffo: That is quite awesome.

Sometimes I wonder how bad things could have gotten for allied airmen had Goering not gotten himself hooked on painkillers after the Beerhall Putsch.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

quote:

Some Fat Bastard posted:
In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked.

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/mosquito.html

quote:

On 31 January 1943, Hermann Goering, head of the Luftwaffe, was due to address a parade in Berlin in the morning and a Mosquito attack effectively disrupted it. Not content with this, a second squadron went to Berlin in the afternoon and gave the parade being addressed by Dr. Goebels the same treatment. This action very effectively discredited Goering's boast that no enemy aircraft would fly unscathed over Berlin.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BTW, that is an awesome little museum if anyone is in Southern Alberta. About 1 hour south of Calgary and an easy way to burn a couple hours if you're a WW2 buff.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

My grandpa served as ground-crew for a Mosquito squadron for the RCAF. They certainly were capable and flexible planes.

Phanatic posted:

More like, almost as much (4,000 lbs vs. 4500 lbs - for a longer distance).

The stats for how many are left are crazy though.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!
In most pictures of Mosquitos I've seen, they have either six ejector exhausts, or a cowling covering them. The KA114 appears to have five exhausts per cylinder bank - what's the idea with this? Some de Havilland Hornets seem to use the same design.

I found a few pictures of the engines, and it seems that the two rearmost exhaust ports just merge together.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I want these two replicas to somehow feature in the Dambusters remake that Peter Jackson is supposed to produce once he finishes up with the Hobbit and the next Tin Tin movie.
Weta already designed some replica Lancasters and ordered 10 fiberglass and steel framed ones from china a few years back.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 28, 2012

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boomerjinks posted:

You've seen this CGI animatic before, yes?

The first time I saw it, I was totally unsure if it was real up until the shot of the landing gear coming down. Such a terrific-looking plane!

The guy that did that animation did a lot of other cool stuff.

P-51 vs Ki84
F4F vs A6M2

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That guy had better be working in movies or video games or something.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

firehawk posted:

In most pictures of Mosquitos I've seen, they have either six ejector exhausts, or a cowling covering them. The KA114 appears to have five exhausts per cylinder bank - what's the idea with this? Some de Havilland Hornets seem to use the same design.

Difference between Packard 1650 and RR merlins perhaps?

e: 5 exhaust ports seems a common feature for canadian built mosquitos, as seen on one:

http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1945/baker.html

I was going to timg the picture, but imgur is down :(

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 28, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ended up losing an hour or so at Shorpy again.

July 1942. "Production. B-25 bombers. Mounting a 1700-horsepower Wright Whirlwind engine to the firewall of a B-25 bomber. Fairfax bomber plant, Kansas City."

October 1942. "Lieutenant 'Mike' Hunter, Army test pilot assigned to Douglas Aircraft Company, Long Beach, California."

August 1942. Naval Air Base at Corpus Christi, Texas. Jesse Rhodes Waller, aviation ordnance mate third class, tries out a 30-caliber machine gun he has just installed in a Navy plane.

Another shot of AOM Jesse Rhodes Waller and machine gun in a PBY Catalina at Corpus Christi Naval Air Base in August 1942.

October 1942. Transport assembly hall at the Consolidated Aircraft Corporation plant in Fort Worth, Texas. Lowering an engine into place.

October 1942. Workers installing fixtures and assemblies in the tail section of a B-17F bomber at the Douglas Aircraft Company plant in Long Beach, California.

July 1942. Servicing an A-20 bomber at Langley Field, Virginia.

October 1942. Final assembly for a B-25 bomber at North American Aviation, Inglewood, Calif.

Mating operation on a C-87 transport plane just before it comes to the pre-assembly line at the Consolidated Aircraft Corporation plant, Fort Worth, Texas. October 1942.

1942. "B-25 bomber final assembly line at North American Aviation works, Inglewood, Calif."

One day, if a miracle happens and I win the lottery, I'm going to buy every Kodachrome in the entire goddamn world.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

slidebite posted:

BTW, that is an awesome little museum if anyone is in Southern Alberta. About 1 hour south of Calgary and an easy way to burn a couple hours if you're a WW2 buff.

I can second this. I was taking the back roads on my drive up to AK a few years ago and slammed on the brakes when I saw what looked like a Lancaster randomly sitting in a hangar on the side of the road as I drove through Nanton. Ended up killing 3 or 4 hours there wandering around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Gorilla Salad posted:

One day, if a miracle happens and I win the lottery, I'm going to buy every Kodachrome in the entire goddamn world.

I wasn't convinced they were real until the last one. Goddamn.