Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mill Town posted:

So I just did the OTA update to Jellybean and it seems to have wiped out my root. Can I get root back without wiping my device or do I have to go through that again? I don't have time for this :(

Mill Town posted:

Yeah I should have mentioned I'm on a GNex in Canada. I got the update a week or two ago now, I don't exactly remember.
Never accept an OTA if you're rooted. Since you have a Nexus it's not a big deal, but if you want to stay stock rooted, install OTA Rootkeeper and you can just install them as usual in the future.

As you've already done it and probably didn't back up first, you'll have to re-root. The toolkit will do it just fine, or you can fastboot flash a custom recovery and flash SuperSU (or push it using adb to /system/app). It's not like rooting a Galaxy Nexus takes longer than a minute at the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
With the TF201 and TF700 both getting official JB updates in the next day or two, how will that affect their current CM/AOSP/misc rom teams? Are we going to see any changes that ASUS made in their Jelly Bean releases get brought into the custom ROMs, or are the custom ROMs already above and beyond what ASUS has done?

This is the first time I've ran anything custom when an actual official update rolled out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

With the TF201 and TF700 both getting official JB updates in the next day or two, how will that affect their current CM/AOSP/misc rom teams? Are we going to see any changes that ASUS made in their Jelly Bean releases get brought into the custom ROMs, or are the custom ROMs already above and beyond what ASUS has done?

This is the first time I've ran anything custom when an actual official update rolled out.
Nothing ASUS will have done will matter at all to CM or anything AOSP-based. Those teams don't care what ASUS does and only work from AOSP source.

The only thing they would care about would be drivers/RILs/HALs which they sometimes need to port depending on chipsets.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Hey guys, I'm running a ICS build on my verizon galaxy nexus from either april or may. I think it's probably time to update things a bit. What's the current favorite rom? I'm using the liquidsmooth guys rom currently. What has the most functionality / performance?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

LastInLine posted:

The only thing they would care about would be drivers/RILs/HALs which they sometimes need to port depending on chipsets.

The drivers/kernel related things are what I'm mostly wondering about. I wasn't sure if there were specific TF201/TF700 related items that only ASUS can release updates for, and by us finally having JB if it means we'd get something ported into the AOSP releases too.

I have another question though: I just did my first update of CM10 on my TF201, and it apparently wiped out my SuperNote install. I guess even installing the regular APK is enough to install it as a system app? Is there a way to unchain it from being a system app so an update won't wipe it?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

blackflare posted:

Hey guys, I'm running a ICS build on my verizon galaxy nexus from either april or may. I think it's probably time to update things a bit. What's the current favorite rom? I'm using the liquidsmooth guys rom currently. What has the most functionality / performance?

Well, CM10 is on M releases for the verizon galaxy nexus which are better than nightlies but not as good as RC releases. But the CM team's idea of RC quality is generally higher than most xda devs...

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Experto Crede posted:

Well, CM10 is on M releases for the verizon galaxy nexus which are better than nightlies but not as good as RC releases. But the CM team's idea of RC quality is generally higher than most xda devs...

Hell, the CM team's idea of a Nightly is better than most company's idea of an RC.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Quick double check, if I flash nightlies I only have to wipe cache/dalvik and don't need to do data, correct?

Does this require reinstalling apps and the like, or will all of that stay intact between nightlies?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WebDO posted:

Quick double check, if I flash nightlies I only have to wipe cache/dalvik and don't need to do data, correct?

Does this require reinstalling apps and the like, or will all of that stay intact between nightlies?

Your apps stay intact as does all data as long as you're flashing nightly to nightly.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Entire Universe posted:

Your apps stay intact as does all data as long as you're flashing nightly to nightly.

Anyone else getting a lot of crashes of the web browser with the latest CM maguro nightly? (9/26, that is).

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the Optimus advice. I did plenty of research on rooting the phone before going through with it and I'm happy to report that it was a success!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Old and busted news, but I finally got around to wire-tricking my EVO 3D and I'm back in the S-OFF world.

Is MeanROM the only one worth trying at this point? CM9/10 were always iffy propositions at best (and googling around shows CM9 never even got an official release), and it's been a while since I wasn't stock.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus, what does running a CM10 nightly get me over stock JB that would make it worthwhile? I haven't done anything with ROMs since I had the G1 years ago.

(Hope this isn't too terribly of a newbie question)

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
I have another newbie question!

I recently had a big problem while updating my Galaxy Plus with Samsung Kies which ended up freezing half way through and breaking my phone. Wipe/reboot didn't work at all so after hours of trial and error I managed to flash my phone with Odin using a stock Samsung firmware.

My question:

Does flashing a phone void the warranty like rooting does? If so I guess I'll say screw it an play around with rooting when I have some more time!I have absolutely no experience with this stuff at all and this is my first smart phone. I think it's awesome that I fixed the phone on my own instead of sending it away.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Equality posted:

My question:

Does flashing a phone void the warranty like rooting does? If so I guess I'll say screw it an play around with rooting when I have some more time!I have absolutely no experience with this stuff at all and this is my first smart phone. I think it's awesome that I fixed the phone on my own instead of sending it away.

If you've reflashed a stock Samsung image it shouldn't be an issue.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
On my Sprint GNex I have it rooted on the stock ROM but I flashed the Franco kernel so I could play with overclocking. I've decided its totally unneeded and want to go back to the stock kernel. I did make a nandroid of my phone before I flashed the kernel, but instead of restoring that, can I just flash the boot.img file via fastboot? Would that just replace the kernel or will it change other things?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

So I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus, what does running a CM10 nightly get me over stock JB that would make it worthwhile? I haven't done anything with ROMs since I had the G1 years ago.

(Hope this isn't too terribly of a newbie question)
I just did the same so I'm in a position to answer.
  • Statusbar mods
  • Lockscreen mods (shortcuts, weather, calendar events
  • Inbuilt notification power widget
  • Inbuilt notification light control
  • 180 degree rotation
  • Power menu mods
  • Navbar mods
  • Volume control granularity/increased system volume
  • DSP instead of MusicFX for soundstage
  • Apollo (the music app) has gapless playback
  • Volume skip
  • Theming engine
  • Profiles (groups of preset you can activate)
  • Quiet hours
  • Autobrightness granularity control (and statusbar brightness control)
  • SAMOLED tweak interface
  • Torch

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Equality posted:

My question:

Some Samsungs have flash counters and tripping it does void your warranty.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

SAMOLED tweak interface
What does this mean?

LastInLine posted:

There are ways to reset this counter.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The same stuff Voodoo Color does on the Nexus S. Color temperature, gamma tuning, etc.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There are ways to reset this counter.
I figured if he's asking he didn't know about it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

It's a counter for "custom binaries", flashing a signed stock image won't trip it.

Also, as a general point, I'm not sure we've reached consensus on "rooting/flashing absolutely voids your warranty" and it's more of a gray area. That is, if the issue you're having is unquestionably hardware related, especially a known defect (e.g., power button that wears out), I'm not sure warranty repair techs would bother checking otherwise since it's such a typical job. The problem happens when the device fails in such way that it's plausibly related to running custom software on it.

The other thing is that most folks don't actually go through the manufacturer warranty process, instead taking carrier-branded devices to their carrier's repair center or whatever. If you show up with a rooted/custom device, yeah, you'll probably get grief over it since weird poo poo often happens when running OneClickChooChooRoot or whatever. I think folks have generally had positive experiences if they've flashed back to stock first and the problem persists.

I mean, sure, you should at least pretend that your warranty is void when you root. But things might work out alright if poo poo actually happens, depending what that is.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a counter for "custom binaries", flashing a signed stock image won't trip it.

Also, as a general point, I'm not sure we've reached consensus on "rooting/flashing absolutely voids your warranty" and it's more of a gray area. That is, if the issue you're having is unquestionably hardware related, especially a known defect (e.g., power button that wears out), I'm not sure warranty repair techs would bother checking otherwise since it's such a typical job. The problem happens when the device fails in such way that it's plausibly related to running custom software on it.

The other thing is that most folks don't actually go through the manufacturer warranty process, instead taking carrier-branded devices to their carrier's repair center or whatever. If you show up with a rooted/custom device, yeah, you'll probably get grief over it since weird poo poo often happens when running OneClickChooChooRoot or whatever. I think folks have generally had positive experiences if they've flashed back to stock first and the problem persists.

I mean, sure, you should at least pretend that your warranty is void when you root. But things might work out alright if poo poo actually happens, depending what that is.

Or just brick your phone so badly trying to relock an unlocked bootloader that you can claim it just died on you :downs:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Let's not forget that while rooting/flashing voids your warranty on paper, the likelihood of actually being denied service is fairly low.

While Samsung's got some terrible aspects to their phones, Odin is one hell of a tool, and if you can get your phone into download mode you can probably get it reverted to a factory state, barring physical problems like damage to the internals. Its unlikely the bench techs at your local store are going to diligently check flash counters every time someone brings in a problem phone, but if you obviously hosed around (custom boot screen, clearly custom ROM, etc) there might be someone who gives enough of a rat's rear end to tattle.

Remember, these are very large corporations, and they favor speed over quality on most aspects of wage employee performance. Diligence is a hazard to job security, so unless its something really obvious your chances are good that your warranty will still be honored.

As for me, I Odin'd back to unrooted stock on my Toroplus since JB actually came out on Sprint. Bootloader is still unlocked, but I would lock it if I could find a god damned working driver. None of them work properly and I've tried multiple cables and ports on my PC. If anyone's run into this problem and has had success with something I would like to know.

As for Apollo, will it work with my music if I download it from Google Play? I imagine it wouldn't work with the streaming service, but if I save something to my phone via the Play Music app can it play in Apollo or is there still some lovely DRM going on with the files? I stream more often than play music locally (podcasts notwithstanding) but if I could just DL via Play Music I'd do that (and root/flash if needed) just for gapless.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

As for Apollo, will it work with my music if I download it from Google Play? I imagine it wouldn't work with the streaming service, but if I save something to my phone via the Play Music app can it play in Apollo or is there still some lovely DRM going on with the files? I stream more often than play music locally (podcasts notwithstanding) but if I could just DL via Play Music I'd do that (and root/flash if needed) just for gapless.
Apollo isn't in the Play Store, although I'm sure you could procure an .apk if you looked. It probably relies on the CM framework and DSP Manager to function properly, however.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
HTC One S

Why is it that sometimes when I over clock my phone to 1.8 GHz (from 1.5) with performance governor it will switch back to the default frequency by itself? My old Inspire didn't do that.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Just recently flashed my phone with Bugless Beast and nightly Franco kernel. I'm noticing a little bit of improved battery life, but nowhere near what I see some people claim of 10+ hours. Are there any specific settings I should be tweaking on the kernel? I'm using a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

• Volume control granularity/increased system volume
  • DSP instead of MusicFX for soundstage

I've stayed away from ROMs, only rooted, but drat those two features are tempting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

HTC One S

Why is it that sometimes when I over clock my phone to 1.8 GHz (from 1.5) with performance governor it will switch back to the default frequency by itself? My old Inspire didn't do that.

It might be that something's overheating or otherwise tripping a safety thing and as a precaution its dropping back to 1.5.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Pilkington posted:

Just recently flashed my phone with Bugless Beast and nightly Franco kernel. I'm noticing a little bit of improved battery life, but nowhere near what I see some people claim of 10+ hours. Are there any specific settings I should be tweaking on the kernel? I'm using a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Those are likely people who turn on their screen for maybe 1 hour of those 10+ they're talking about. Sad thing is, is that the verizon galaxy nexus will only get 3 hours of screen-on time at the most, standby will vary much more though.

You can create power profiles using the franco kernel app, but I'd just leave it alone, it's very unlikely that you'll improve anything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I've stayed away from ROMs, only rooted, but drat those two features are tempting.
This mod will do exactly what you want if you use NexusLouder4beta2. You might have to be running a custom kernel for it to work (dev claims you do, but when I was stock rooted it worked just fine).

There's even a version with Apollo if you want (4beta3) but I don't know if it has gapless since that went into the CM nightlies on the 19th.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Pilkington posted:

At this point is there any advantage to using Bugless Beast over the stock Google JB image for the Verizon GNex? I was running Bugless releases but switched over to the official rom when it came out

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Fiki posted:

At this point is there any advantage to using Bugless Beast over the stock Google JB image for the Verizon GNex? I was running Bugless releases but switched over to the official rom when it came out

No I don't believe so. Only benefit comes from being able to use Titanium Backup. So if you can get a rooted stock image, it'd be money.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
This isn't strictly a rooting question but I figure you guys will know - I've got an International S3, am I right in thinking I could just grab the JB update that's started rolling out in Poland and flash it on my phone without triggering the flash counter, since it's a stock build? Would I use Kies or Odin for this? And are there any dangers or caveats in doing so?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

chippy posted:

This isn't strictly a rooting question but I figure you guys will know - I've got an International S3, am I right in thinking I could just grab the JB update that's started rolling out in Poland and flash it on my phone without triggering the flash counter, since it's a stock build? Would I use Kies or Odin for this? And are there any dangers or caveats in doing so?

You would use Odin or Heimdall (open-source alternative to Odin) for this. The only caveat is that you will want to take extra care when flashing so the install is not interrupted (e.g. the USB cable yanks out or the computer loses power), otherwise you run the risk of hard bricking your phone.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

rotaryfun posted:

No I don't believe so. Only benefit comes from being able to use Titanium Backup. So if you can get a rooted stock image, it'd be money.

Gotcha. Yeah after I installed the stock image I went ahead and rooted it myself (never realized how easy it is!) and things are running great

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Another question. Before I flashed Bugless Beast, I was using BAMF Paradigm. On Paradigm, the lockscreen had a torch widget on the bottom of the rotary thing so if I needed a flashlight, I just had to drag down. I've been googling for something that does the same thing but come up empty handed. Anything out there that would do what I'm looking for?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Torch.

Unless you mean a lockscreen replacement, in which case I have no idea.

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Fiki posted:

BB fixes the issue with low speaker volume, if that bothers you. Has that official ROM finally fixed that? Also some minor tweaks, like adding the option to reboot or reboot to recovery from the power menu.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Nevermind, I got it fixed.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 29, 2012

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

DemonMage posted:

Torch.

Unless you mean a lockscreen replacement, in which case I have no idea.

I know I can just get an app that does it, but I really like how it was so easily accessible from the lockscreen so I wanted to add it back on. Looked for lockscreen replacements that could do it, but haven't found anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sorry if its been discussed before but is there any good roms out there for the Tmo Samsung Galaxy SIII?