Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Ok so FFVI is loving awesome. So many characters thrown at you early on, yet each one is good and cool. Terra's overworld theme is fantastic, but so is Shadow's theme. I thought that was just the normal pub music at first, which was cool, but Shadow is cool as gently caress.

I guess there's a reason that VI is held in such high regard and that it is looked to as the pinnacle... because it owns bones baby. That's why.

This might seem like a vague question, but are there any great mysteries surrounding VI? Like weird things in the game or unexplained things? Mysterious happenings? No spoilers.

Well one time this dude was playing the game and he died and the image for the ghost sprite changed to look like his face and then this video started playing over the game and

I guess they never really get into what's up with Siegfried/Ziegfried? I guess there's Siegfried, stupendous badass, and then there's Ziegfried, incompetent fraud who's trying to capitalize on Siegfried's name. That whole plotline shows up often enough that it feels like it should have been given some depth or some closure or something but nope. Nada. You don't even see Ziegfried again after you get Edgar in the World of Ruin.

Then there's the whole thing about the entire internet not getting that Gogo was just an easter egg ref to FFV and not THE MYSTERY OF THE CENTURY. I guess in their defense we didn't get V in America so we didn't know it was a reference as kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Like weird bugs/glitches? There's a few that are pretty cool. But you said no spoilers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

This might seem like a vague question, but are there any great mysteries surrounding VI? Like weird things in the game or unexplained things? Mysterious happenings? No spoilers.

The open-endedness of the game's second half combined with the volume of stuff to find (just in terms of characters and unique espers and poo poo) led to a massive amount of speculation about hidden things when the game was new that lasted quite a while. It didn't hurt that a lot of the weird little things (google "shadow's dreams", "raiden esper", and "moogle charm" when you're further in the game) that could easily have sounded like bullshit playground stories were absolutely true. There are two and a half secret characters! How many prior JRPGs had secret characters?

It had one of the most persistent rumor-mills about resurrection of a dead character of... pretty much any game ever made, barring maybe FF7. Obviously "no spoilers" precludes me from explaining much further, but I definitely remember calling the Nintendo Game Counsellors as a kid to ask about it. I wonder how many of those calls they got per week.

There are a massive number of absolutely ludicrous bugs too, partly owing to the sheer scope and complexity of the game for a SNES title. The most famous and my personal favorite is the Kutan glitch; during Locke's solo scenario, you can walk out of South Figaro (before meeting Celes) through one of the patrolling guards who's supposed to stop you by timing opening and closing menus just right so that you pass through one another on the same tile. If you do this, when you get back to Narshe after the split-scenario sequence you'll find that Celes has been replaced by Kutan the moogle from the game's introductory tactical battle due to some broken flags.

Here's a video of the Kutan glitch.

And here's a (spoiler-filled) Let's Play of the game by Elephantgun, which demonstrates a ton of other weirdness possible with the game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ok so FFVI is loving awesome. So many characters thrown at you early on, yet each one is good and cool. Terra's overworld theme is fantastic, but so is Shadow's theme. I thought that was just the normal pub music at first, which was cool, but Shadow is cool as gently caress.

I guess there's a reason that VI is held in such high regard and that it is looked to as the pinnacle... because it owns bones baby. That's why.

The only mystery is how Sabin gets his tremendous strength.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

No, FF6's world is pretty closed. Very few characters outside the main ones have any little plotlines of their own, much less unresolved mysteries. In a way, FF4 and 5 have more mysteries because they have lots of references to the world being much older than it is but they're never really followed up on.

FF6 has a few unseen historical events, but their roles in the plot are concluded by the story's end.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that "closed" is a bit strong. There's a lot of room for plot expansion if they so wanted to. It's just that a lot of it (like the pre-War of the Magi industrial society alluded to in the opening crawl) don't get explored because they were under some pretty tight size constraints.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 27, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
He asked for no spoilers, dude, that's why I was being really vague. May want to edit.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I felt that even if you manage to uncover all of Shadow's backstory, there were a number of unanswered questions.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What opens up to you in FF9 after getting the airship? I know it makes Chocograph hunting way easier, I got a bunch of them without the airship and it was a huge pain.

I got to Daguerro and got some new stuff, mainly Holy and Flare for Eiko and Vivi who now do almost max damage to most enemies. I can go grind the weak dragons in Burmecia to level up Freya's Dragon Crest to 9999 too, and her normal attack is pretty good with Holy Lance + Holy boosting equipment. I was using Amarant as a sort of jack of all trades but Freya does MP regeneration better than he does, hits harder than him, does full party HP regen, and can hit for 9999 if she needs to.

I might turn Amarant into the main healer since Eiko is too busy doing damage to heal and revive, and he does take hits really well. Does he get better? Am I using him wrong?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What opens up to you in FF9 after getting the airship? I know it makes Chocograph hunting way easier, I got a bunch of them without the airship and it was a huge pain.

I got to Daguerro and got some new stuff, mainly Holy and Flare for Eiko and Vivi who now do almost max damage to most enemies. I can go grind the weak dragons in Burmecia to level up Freya's Dragon Crest to 9999 too, and her normal attack is pretty good with Holy Lance + Holy boosting equipment. I was using Amarant as a sort of jack of all trades but Freya does MP regeneration better than he does, hits harder than him, does full party HP regen, and can hit for 9999 if she needs to.

I might turn Amarant into the main healer since Eiko is too busy doing damage to heal and revive, and he does take hits really well. Does he get better? Am I using him wrong?

Primarily, you can now visit the Forgotten Continent, which is where plot goes, and a few Chocograph hunts that were impossible to get to are now open. Along with that, there are a couple Dead Pepper cracks to hit. Other than that, you've been to Daguerreo, which is the biggest advantage of getting an airship.

Amarant is a jack-of-all-trades, really. He can heal, restore MP, and deal heavy damage once you acquire No Mercy or just throw some high-grade weapons. He can do just as much damage as everyone else, it's just a little more difficult to get him there. Chakra is the best way to restore MP outside of hoarding Ethers.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 27, 2012

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I just started Dimensions. Wow, this game doesn't waste any time throwing a bunch of characters at you, I'm like five minutes in and had three people join one after the other.

I usually go with default names but I'm going to have to make an exception for this fourth guy, after Persona 3 I cannot take anyone named Aigis seriously. :fuckoff:

For some reason I find it funny that they're not freelancers this time, just jobless. I guess the economic downturn hit the Avalonian Empire hard.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Azure_Horizon posted:

Chakra is the best way to restore MP outside of hoarding Ethers.

Chakra is a lot weaker than White Draw, at least as far as I've found. Freya's opening move is White Draw every battle for me, and I haven't run out of MP since. The exception is when Eiko is spamming Pheonix or Holy, then I mix a Chakra in there.

I'm having trouble with Chocobo Hot and Cold. I haven't played this far into IX since my first run through (Jesus, that was like 12 years ago), so I don't remember how long it took, but I haven't been able to upgrade him to a Blue Chocobo yet. Do I just gotta keep digging until I get (what guides tell me is) the fourth Chocograph? I don't think its a set item as in it would always be the fourth chocograph you dig up, so am I just getting real unlucky never drat seeing it? I want to go to Chocobo Lagoon sometime soon. I'm thinking of actually taking Ozma this time, and since I am like seconds from hitting up Terra I'm afraid to do anything else story wise cause I don't want the world to close up to me.

Someone said that this game doesn't seal up as bad as 8 did on disc 4, anybody know what exactly is closed off when I get that far? I guess making a second save wouldn't hurt anyway.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Anyone know if the digital download of FFVII on the Square-Enix website has and improved translation or is it just "polished" graphics and achievements?

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500/categoryId.57606100/parentCategoryID.16256100#.UGSJjY3iZDF

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Man those low res static backgrounds look extremely weird with shiny high res (although low polygon count) characters.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

GoGoGadget posted:

Anyone know if the digital download of FFVII on the Square-Enix website has and improved translation or is it just "polished" graphics and achievements?

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500/categoryId.57606100/parentCategoryID.16256100#.UGSJjY3iZDF

It's the original PC version. Marginally better translation than the PSX version, but not by a whole lot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Chakra is a lot weaker than White Draw, at least as far as I've found. Freya's opening move is White Draw every battle for me, and I haven't run out of MP since. The exception is when Eiko is spamming Pheonix or Holy, then I mix a Chakra in there.
The difference is that Chakra is an unlimited pool of MP restoration where White Draw is based on the enemies' current MP totals.

quote:

I'm having trouble with Chocobo Hot and Cold. I haven't played this far into IX since my first run through (Jesus, that was like 12 years ago), so I don't remember how long it took, but I haven't been able to upgrade him to a Blue Chocobo yet. Do I just gotta keep digging until I get (what guides tell me is) the fourth Chocograph? I don't think its a set item as in it would always be the fourth chocograph you dig up, so am I just getting real unlucky never drat seeing it?
You're probably really unlucky if you still haven't found it, but the Chocograph you're looking for has to do with a beach and you can't reach it unless you're on the Burmecia side of Gizamaluke's Grotto. It's really pretty random the order you dig them up in, you just gotta look at the list of 'graphs you've got.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

The difference is that Chakra is an unlimited pool of MP restoration where White Draw is based on the enemies' cturrent MP totals.

White Draw is actually dependant on only two things: RNG, and the enemy's level:

[Damages an enemy's MP and restores a small amount of MP to all party members between 0 and the enemy's level *2 - 1.]

Typically, I don't use White Draw much; Freya has better things to do with her MP, like Dragon's Crest (or Lancer/Cherry Blossom), or Reis' Wind. If it didn't cost such a hefty amount (for Freya, at least) in the first place, I'd use it more, but as it is, Chakra wins out for me, especially if Amarant gets in Trance or gets Power Up.

Someone said that this game doesn't seal up as bad as 8 did on disc 4, anybody know what exactly is closed off when I get that far? I guess making a second save wouldn't hurt anyway.

You miss out on the following places:

-Observatory Mountain (to complete the Coffee Quest, but if you missed the one in Dali in Disc 3 then there's no point in this one)
-Ice Cavern (again little point, except for a slight change in the Mognet quest I think)
-Pinnacle Rocks (2 chests there which you should have gotten already.)
-Desert Palace (get the Namingway card if you haven't, other than that, not much point)
-Conde Petie (nothing of worth here)
-Iifa Tree and its paths from Conde Petie (ditto, unless you missed the Moonstone)
-Esto Gaza and Mt. Gulug (probably the only one worth noting, since you definitely want to pick up Vivi's Octagon Rod if you haven't already. Other than that, Steiner, Freya, and Eiko all have abilities that can only be learned by the equipment here.)
-Oeilvert (nothing much here)

The only other thing you'd probably want to do is stock up on Mythril equipment if you want to do synthesis, though none of the end products are absolutely vital.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 27, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So my Leonora solo continues.

She hit level 70. This is the level she learns Holy.

:getin:

Suddenly she goes from stugging to top 1000 damage hitting an enemy's weakness on a Black Magic boosting moon. To doing 8000 damage on a White Magic boosting moon. (Hitting the damage cap on weaker enemies)

I think the difficulty is gone now. :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hahahaha, glorious.

Of course, some monsters are still a pain for solo characters even at L99. You may need a lot of luck taking out Bahamut, for instance, since I don't know if any of Leonora's equips can prevent paralysis (the Ribbon certainly doesn't), which can pretty much ruin you.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

We talked about Paralysis already. The Queen's Tights block it, which is handy.

As for Bahamut, It depends on whether or not she can survive it fully decked out in Adamant gear like she will be by that point. :v:

(If not I'll probably just say "screw it" and use Edward as a hiding phoenix down dispenser.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm sticking with Amarant just because Freya and Eiko are too busy doing damage to heal and recover MP. I think I can get his attack up when I get a strong Wind claw and equip wind boosting stuff.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

GoGoGadget posted:

I seriously hope that some people find a means to and start pulling apart the game and replacing sections with more modern components.

The music alone is a bit of a piss take from Square. How many orchestral versions of pretty much every song from FF7 have been made over the years, and yet the game is still using the original midi soundtrack?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Replace everything but the Cosmo Canyon track. :colbert:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

-Observatory Mountain (to complete the Coffee Quest, but if you missed the one in Dali in Disc 3 then there's no point in this one)
-Ice Cavern (again little point, except for a slight change in the Mognet quest I think)
-Desert Palace (get the Namingway card if you haven't, other than that, not much point)
-Iifa Tree and its paths from Conde Petie (ditto, unless you missed the Moonstone)
-Esto Gaza and Mt. Gulug (probably the only one worth noting, since you definitely want to pick up Vivi's Octagon Rod if you haven't already. Other than that, Steiner, Freya, and Eiko all have abilities that can only be learned by the equipment here.)

The only other thing you'd probably want to do is stock up on Mythril equipment if you want to do synthesis, though none of the end products are absolutely vital.

Refresh my memory: do you get an airship before all this poo poo seals up? I have a bunch of sidequsting I'd like to do as soon as I get one, but I can't remember if I'll be able to then.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

TL posted:

Refresh my memory: do you get an airship before all this poo poo seals up? I have a bunch of sidequsting I'd like to do as soon as I get one, but I can't remember if I'll be able to then.

You get two airships: One on Disc 3, one on Disc 4. Do all your sidequesting before heading to Terra.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

ApplesandOranges posted:

White Draw is actually dependant on only two things: RNG, and the enemy's level:

[Damages an enemy's MP and restores a small amount of MP to all party members between 0 and the enemy's level *2 - 1.]

Typically, I don't use White Draw much; Freya has better things to do with her MP, like Dragon's Crest (or Lancer/Cherry Blossom), or Reis' Wind. If it didn't cost such a hefty amount (for Freya, at least) in the first place, I'd use it more, but as it is, Chakra wins out for me, especially if Amarant gets in Trance or gets Power Up.

Only reason I'm not powerhousing everything is so that I can have Zidane steal and power up Thievery, but once that is capped I'm probably going to start using Chakra more. Right now, White Draw is a godsend, but I can see Chakra passing it up soon.

By the way I love how Six Dragons info moogle says "See for yourself". So I tried it immediatly. I should really learn to experiment outside of boss fights.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank god I stopped playing when I did, I was on my way out.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Only reason I'm not powerhousing everything is so that I can have Zidane steal and power up Thievery, but once that is capped I'm probably going to start using Chakra more. Right now, White Draw is a godsend, but I can see Chakra passing it up soon.

If you're stealing from everything then why do you even need to choose between either of those abilities when you could just chuck one of your 99 ethers at whoever needs it?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Mister Roboto posted:

-Square moving to Sony.
-Sony releasing them from Nintendo's censorship.
-Their experienced Nintendo/FF translator, Woolsey, was busy with Super Mario RPG and moving to his own little company.
I always got the feeling Square didn't really appreciate Woolsey's contributions. I remember reading somewhere that Square gave Woolsey 30 days to translate the entirety of Final Fantasy VI. Under those hosed-up constraints, he did an amazing job.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

CloseFriend posted:

I got the feeling they didn't really appreciate Woolsey's contribution. I remember reading somewhere that Square gave Woolsey 30 days to translate the entirety of Final Fantasy VI. Under those hosed-up constraints, he did an amazing job.

I read an anecdote from him that he bought the Japanese strategy guide for Chrono Trigger so he could get the context for the lines of text they gave him.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

CloseFriend posted:

I always got the feeling Square didn't really appreciate Woolsey's contributions. I remember reading somewhere that Square gave Woolsey 30 days to translate the entirety of Final Fantasy VI. Under those hosed-up constraints, he did an amazing job.

There's actually an interview with him here, translating that poo poo does not sound fun.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ted Woolsey is probably the king of translating videogames. Say what you want about accuracy or whatever, the man did so much with so little while under such tight constraints. The flavor he put into his work is outstanding.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

CloseFriend posted:

Yeah. He made a lot of mistakes (mainly just inventing stuff) but given the working conditions, we're lucky he was able to avoid gibberish, i.e. parts of FF7.

Square (which was still primarily Japanese at the time) just didn't care about the American market or about what the Americans got, writing wise, so why budget a lot for translators?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I still wonder if they care about the American market much.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dr Pepper posted:

They do, but in the same way that if an American tv show was being made, it'd be primarily for the American audience and if the international markets liked it, that's just icing on the cake. The CORE audience that it's tailored for is still going to be Japanese teenagers.

I suspect the entire reason FF7 got so much American media attention was because of Sony, who convinced Square there was a market to budget all those ads.

Also, remember that the most profitable FF of all time is FF11. Which means that they are definitely aware of FF's popularity overseas, but only numbers-wise.

We can probably say that none of the suits in charge of Square-Enix spend time on American message boards or listen to American gaming podcasts or watch American gaming webisodes. They may watch a few American shows that are translated, but actual American culture and what the American teenagers want?

Ask Nomura, he follows that garbage, now let's talk about numbers, Wada-San.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dr Pepper posted:

They want it (because Japan alone can't support AAA current gen games with its market alone) but they don't understand it. If they were smart they'd ask Cavia. Nier was one of the few Japanese games lately that understood localization has to be more than a new language.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

One thing that makes me think they don't really care is the constant updated releases of their major games. FF12 International, KH2 Final Mix, etc. These are massively improved experiences and yet they stay Japan only.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dr Pepper posted:

One thing that makes me think they don't really care is the constant updated releases of their major games. FF12 International, KH2 Final Mix, etc. These are massively improved experiences and yet they stay Japan only.

As said, it's all about the numbers. Wada is a numbers man, so obviously the data from his team of sales report analysts has convinced him it's not cost-effective to import all the extras. Which means that those numbers cannot possibly be coming from the market itself, since every messageboard ever is screaming for them, so...who knows where they get their projections? Gamestop management? Japanese market analysts?

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 28, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm pretty sure that's because Sony of America doesn't allow rereleases with such a low amount of new content.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
After reading OFS's LP, I've been trying to get back into Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm playing the Laggy Fantasy Tactics patch, since it seems to be a good rebalance mod.

That said, I've got some questions.
First of all, should I care about stat growths? They seem to be a huge pain in the rear end. Sometimes I'm afraid of leveling in a "subpar" job. :ohdear:

Also, considering that LFT makes special characters better, any recommendation towards creating a "balanced" party? Whenever I play, I end up with Ramza as a Martial Arts!Squire, a Knight/Geomancer, a Time Mage/Priest and a Black Mage/Summoner.

The fifth character, who rarely goes into story battles, tend to end up as Thief, since humans in random battles seem to have sweet new equipment.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

YggiDee posted:

There's actually an interview with him here, translating that poo poo does not sound fun.

This is a great read, but if anyone wants a tl;dr:

quote:

It would have been great to have two months, two and a half months to really work on that stuff. I think at the time, as one Japanese person explained to me, they were toys for kids and chill out; let's get this thing out the door. When in fact they were really art objects, cinematic stories for adults. These role playing games skewed older.