Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Badly Jester posted:

As a German, I'm sad to report that Google Maps knows jack poo poo about transit in Germany. They've only recently started incorporating regional trains and S-Bahnen. There's no info on public transit like busses and subways. This makes me especially sad because I love the concept of Google Now; it's just useless in Germany right now.

The transit service provider ultimately has to provide the data for Google to be able to display it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

dissss posted:

The transit service provider ultimately has to provide the data for Google to be able to display it.

Well, naturally. Most urban transit providers have their own platforms (and the Deutsche Bahn site/app has access to all of those) , so the data already exists somewhere in the etherwebs. Then again, speculating on who's dragging his feet in making them available on Google won't help Nihiliste any.

Edit:

I don't mind helping you out further, but let's get in touch somewhere else so we don't derail the thread. You can find me as tim.hoffmann [motherfucking] gmail.com on Google Talk/Plus/Whatevs

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 27, 2012

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Anyone else getting a bug in Google Currents where you can't swipe scroll between stories if the text size is set to Large? It works if the text size is medium or small, and swiping between pages of the story works, just not between stories.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Badly Jester posted:

As a German, I'm sad to report that Google Maps knows jack poo poo about transit in Germany. They've only recently started incorporating regional trains and S-Bahnen. There's no info on public transit like busses and subways. This makes me especially sad because I love the concept of Google Now; it's just useless in Germany right now.

There is, however, this sweet app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.oeffi&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImRlLnNjaGlsZGJhY2gub2VmZmkiXQ..
It has many great features, like letting you download maps of transit networks, showing you the distance to the closest stops, when trains/busses leave from there, etc.

Thanks for the info, it's more important than you know! Does Offi have any offline support though, or will I need to pop in a German SIM? (Speaking of which, what would be a good plan for a two-week trip?)

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 27, 2012

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Splizwarf posted:

Set the correct location first, then:

Because the iCal download is dynamic, the URL pointer is constantly feeding Google Calendar the next week of weather (as opposed to downloading the iCal file and adding it via Import Calendar, which is a static file and will only give you a week's worth once).

This is awesome. Thanks!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

So is it impossible to listen to youtube videos with the screen locked? I like to listen to lectures and speeches and other similar things on youtube and would like to do it on my phone while I'm walking around doing things. I did a bunch of googling but all I got were a bunch of dodgy apps that didn't work at all.
Give PVStar+ a try. I tested it out last night and was able play YouTube videos in the background and with the screen turned off. You can either add specific videos to the playlist by URL or by searching for it from within the app. The only downside is that the dev's Japanese so there's a tiny bit of Engrish in the UI.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
A bunch of new apps have gone on sale as part of the 25 Billion Downloads thing, including the awesome World of Goo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

rolleyes posted:

A bunch of new apps have gone on sale as part of the 25 Billion Downloads thing, including the awesome World of Goo.
How do you get the new ones to show up? I'm only seeing the ones from yesterday.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How do you get the new ones to show up? I'm only seeing the ones from yesterday.
The new ones came up for me just now by simply refreshing the page, maybe try CTRL-F5 to force a complete refresh? v:shobon:v

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

http://www.fieldtripper.com/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticproject.scout

Field Trip posted:

Field Trip is your guide to the cool, hidden, and unique things in the world around you. Field Trip runs in the background on your phone. When you get close to something interesting, it pops up a card with details about the location. No click is required. If you have a headset or bluetooth connected, it can even read the info to you.

Looks kinda interesting, just installing it now.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Help I got put in a group iphone chat thing and I'm getting tons of MMS from a bunch of people, is there any app that can handle that?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I doubt on the first person to figure this out but the 25 cent apps aren't just for one day. They seem to still be 25 cents even from yesterday. One example is the tasks app from yesterday's promotion. It still 25 cents. So there doesn't appear to be a rush to purchase on the day they're featured.

Edit - never mind this is terrible advice. Most all from yesterday are back to full price. I guess tasks is one exception.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 27, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Yeah it's odd. I was notified by AppSales (you should get it, it monitors the Play Store and alerts you to apps which have reduced in price) but it took a good few hours until they showed up on the 25 Billion Downloads Sale page for me. They were definitely discounted immediately though.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

I doubt on the first person to figure this out but the 25 cent apps aren't just for one day. They seem to still be 25 cents even from yesterday. One example is the tasks app from yesterday's promotion. It still 25 cents. So there doesn't appear to be a rush to purchase on the day they're featured.

That's fine, because I wanted 2 apps from yesterday, just needed to search them.

Oh hey, this looks cool, I'm just gonna go ahead and downlo...

quote:

This item cannot be installed in your device's country.

:(

Migishu fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 27, 2012

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Is there an app or a way to tell Android to drop wifi and use my 3G connection if the wifi signal is really poor?

Similar to the iOS 6 feature that didn't make it in the final release.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Secx posted:

Is there an app or a way to tell Android to drop wifi and use my 3G connection if the wifi signal is really poor?

Similar to the iOS 6 feature that didn't make it in the final release.
Jelly Bean will do this automatically.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Karthe posted:

Give PVStar+ a try. I tested it out last night and was able play YouTube videos in the background and with the screen turned off. You can either add specific videos to the playlist by URL or by searching for it from within the app. The only downside is that the dev's Japanese so there's a tiny bit of Engrish in the UI.

I tried this, but when I searched for something it just searched for about 30 seconds and then gave up, finding nothing. Any ideas?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jelly Bean will do this automatically.

It doesn't do a very good job of it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Crud, I didn't realize Play was doing an app sale until today so I missed out on yesterday's stuff. Does anyone remember if they put everything back on sale during the last day, Steam sale-style?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Migishu posted:

Oh hey, this looks cool, I'm just gonna go ahead and downlo...

:(
Maybe your country has nothing interesting, unique, or cool?

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Crud, I didn't realize Play was doing an app sale until today so I missed out on yesterday's stuff. Does anyone remember if they put everything back on sale during the last day, Steam sale-style?

They're still on sale right now. They're just introducing new ones each day.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Great to know about the previous day's specials persisting. Couldn't get all the ones I wanted in time yesterday because of the time required between transactions.

Anyway came here to post results about my experiment with using multiple google accounts concurrently on one device. In short it works just fine.

I mentioned I was after a way to put things on a tablet for my daughter. But it also extends to being able to have things for my little boy on either of ours. It seems silly to buy a couple of instances of an app intended for one little person to use occasionally depending on which parent he chooses to hassle.

In essense all I did was this:

Went to settings->accounts and added the other google account. Then just deselected all the sync options.
In Play store where it has the current accounts e-mail address is a drop down. Chose the account I wanted, went through all apps, found what I was after and hit install.

I'm not condoning this as a method of cheating authors out of their hard earned by the way. It just seems that this combined with locking the store offers solutions for both issues I have with software use for my kids. Ie one person, multiple devices in the case of my son,. and one device / no access to wallet / parent's accounts while keeping licenses valid for my daughter. I know it's not about an app but more about usage of apps and the model which Play uses.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
Arrrgghhh, the sale is going to end on the day I get my first Android phone ever. I wish I could register a fake device so that I could buy these apps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nagato posted:

Arrrgghhh, the sale is going to end on the day I get my first Android phone ever. I wish I could register a fake device so that I could buy these apps.

Do you know someone with an Android phone that you can trust to have your account on their device for a few days? That will let you buy the apps, but they'll have access to your gmail and stuff.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

go to a retailer with live demo units, sign in to your google account on said device, buy the stuff, cancel the downloads, then wipe your google account from the device?

Just a random thought at least. Seems like you might be able to pull it off in somewhere like Best Buy where I remember messing with a galaxy note for about 15 minutes with not a single person anywhere around me.

bonus points : factory wipe the phone when you leave with the infamous code that's been going around thanks to the recent samsung debacle.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Isn't there a way to hack the Play Store into the Android emulator? No idea if it lets you buy apps though.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Penguissimo posted:

Isn't there a way to hack the Play Store into the Android emulator? No idea if it lets you buy apps though.

Are you wanting to purchase apps not available in your area or what? :confused:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kumquat posted:

They're still on sale right now. They're just introducing new ones each day.

Are you sure? For example I checked Office Suite Pro and the price is back to $15. Or do you mean "on sale" and not necessarily "on sale for 25c"?

E: I'm going off this list-

swampface posted:

Here's the list of the apps for today so far:

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-25-cent-apps-open-post

Angry Birds Space Premium
Asphalt 7: Heat
Clouds & Sheep Premium
Draw Something
Granny Smith
Let's Create! Pottery
London Bus Checker
NFL Kicker 13
Ocean HD
OfficeSuite Pro 6+
Sudoku
Symphony of Eternity
Tasks

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 28, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Are you wanting to purchase apps not available in your area or what? :confused:

Sorry, that was in response to the guy who's buying a phone the day after the sale ends and wanted to know if he could buy the apps in advance. Probably should have quoted him.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

go to a retailer with live demo units, sign in to your google account on said device, buy the stuff, cancel the downloads, then wipe your google account from the device?
If you cancel the downloads, it will count as refunding the purchase.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

If you cancel the downloads, it will count as refunding the purchase.

No it won't. It used it, but it doesn't anymore. I canceled my download of Cut the Rope Experiments earlier because Google still doesn't have an option to queue large downloads until you're on wifi, and it canceled without refunding. I'm guessing that went into effect around the same time the Play Store started requiring a password to buy apps.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Is there an alternate lock screen does gesture unlock? Preferably one that doesn't display anything.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Is the audiko.net app safe? It's only available as a direct apk download so I want to make sure it's not full of weird poo poo or something.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
Is there a good way to move large files between two android devices (specifically, a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Nexus) without involving another device? I tried both Airdroid and running an FTP server on one and a client on the other, and both stall out or fail. I assume I can't mount one on the other since neither has USB mass storage mode, so I'm curious what options I have.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

UnbornApple posted:

Is the audiko.net app safe? It's only available as a direct apk download so I want to make sure it's not full of weird poo poo or something.

I use it all the time it seems to be just fine. For some reason it's not listed on the Google Play store but only available through their website as a direct .apk download

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

Maybe your country has nothing interesting, unique, or cool?

Canada :(

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Penguissimo posted:

I forgot about that. It looks like there might be a current hack that works:

http://www.piotrbuda.eu/2012/05/installing-google-play-on-android-emulator.html

Looks like this is gonna be a pain in the butt, but then I can save my precious, precious pennies.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I use it all the time it seems to be just fine. For some reason it's not listed on the Google Play store but only available through their website as a direct .apk download

Probably because 99% of their content is copywritten and used without permission.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nagato posted:

I forgot about that. It looks like there might be a current hack that works:

http://www.piotrbuda.eu/2012/05/installing-google-play-on-android-emulator.html

Looks like this is gonna be a pain in the butt, but then I can save my precious, precious pennies.

Pretty sure I had access to the Google store when I was messing around with Android x86 in a VM last year. Been tempted to try that again just in case I can get some of the apps I want, back them up and sideload them on my tablet or my phone. Like hell I can't use a colour swatch program on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well that's interesting. Found out About Schmidt had a bunch of scenes filmed in/around my neighborhood.

• Locked thread