Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
木须肉 (MooShuPork)

This is one of my favorite dishes..a Northern Chinese Dish popular inside and outside of China. In the United States (and possibly sometimes in China) it's served with flat flour pancakes and hoisin sauce. However, I've ordered it at all types of restaurants and I've never once gotten sauce and pancakes in Beijing.

What you need (2 people):
里脊肉 Pork Loin 250g
黄花 Day lily 10-15 flowers
木耳 Wood ear fungus 100g
黄瓜 Cucumber (1 small)
鸡蛋 3 Large Eggs
盐 Salt
酱油 Soy Sauce
淀粉 Starch
MSG

Before you start: I used both dehydrated Day Lily flower and Wood Ear fungus. It's cheaper and easier to get than fresh and they hydrate quite easily. It's probably going to be next to impossible to find these two in the USA outside of specialty stores, so try and get dried so you can use them over a longer time. I hydrate them in a pot of lukewarm water for 30 minutes before cooking.

Cut the cucumber at a 45 degree angle to get long thin slices. Don't cut them too thick or they won't cook, too thin and they will be soggy. I cut mine about 1/8th of an inch thick. I also use small wood ear mushrooms, if you get the big ones (some are huge) cut into smaller squares. Some people cut them into sticks, but I don't like that style.

1. Cut the meat into thin slices. Don't cut it into 丝 (sticks), rather big flat slices. Put the meat into a bowl and add just enough egg white to coat all the meat (less than one egg). Keep the yolk and remaining egg white in another bowl. Add 1 tsp of starch to thicken the mix and let sit.

(Note: I used too much egg when I made this, you want to use a less)

2. Crack and add your other two eggs to your leftover yolk and egg white. Bring your wok up to temperature, add enough oil to coat the pan, and add your egg. Let the eggs start to cook like an omelette before you scramble. You want to have great big chunks of egg, not a ton of little tiny pieces. Remove the egg from your pan and set aside.

3. Bring your pan up to temperature, add another coating of oil. Add the meat and egg mixture. The egg white will try to stick to your pan, so keep it moving to prevent this. Add a splash of soy sauce while cooking.

(No picture, I was too busy stirring meat to take a photo here)

4. Once the meat is cooked add the Day lily. Cook the day lily about 30 seconds before adding the wood ear mushroom. Once the wood ear mushroom is in, add a splash of water to keep anything from becoming dry and burning. Add salt and MSG. Keep moving everything. After about 1 minute of cooking the mushroom, add the cucumber The water should have thickened to a thick sauce by now, if not or if you added too much water, add a dash of starch until it starts to thicken.

5. Add the egg and stir fry for 30 more seconds. Serve as a 炒菜 (side dish) or 盖饭 (on rice).

Total time from starting the meat until finished, less than 5 minutes*.

*If you have a stove with low output, then this will be longer. The pan will cool most when the wood ear mushroom is added. You can lengthen the time you spend cooking it to bring your pan back up to temperature.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

She also answers questions quite rapidly.

asimplenation
Jul 8, 2010
This thread inspired me to make this tonight. I bought a Wok last week and finally got around to using it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
What's the best recipe for that common braised 青菜 and mushroom dish? Every time I make it the 青菜 (not sure what the English is for that) is all soggy and the mushrooms are underdone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Magna Kaser posted:

Shizi tou (红烧)狮子头

I want to follow this recipe soon and was wondering how lamb mince would be for it? Would the flavour be too overpowering for the rest of meal? I've just found lamb makes amazing meat balls in the past. I have pork mince as well if its a bad idea.

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 26, 2012

vxk5004
Oct 23, 2008
Does anyone have a recommended recipe for Hong Kong claypot rice? I don't know if there's a specific name for the dish - I was watching No Reservations and it was one of the first things Bourdain had in the Hong Kong episode and it looked amazing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Mozi posted:

What's the best recipe for that common braised 青菜 and mushroom dish? Every time I make it the 青菜 (not sure what the English is for that) is all soggy and the mushrooms are underdone.

Isn't that just the Chinese word for vegetables?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Magna Kaser posted:

[b]Boiled water meat :confuoot:, or Sichuan Spicy Pork -

Just made this. Was really nice but 2 big scoops of Lao Gan Ma blackbean and chilli and 4 de Arbols had made it too spicy for the other people eating. Easily fixed though and I think its going to become a regular meal I make.

Edit: I'm really enjoying this thread. Pretty much all chinese food in England I've had is pretty bad and most things I've tried from here are really nice and pretty easy. With a pretty large chinese population in my city I can get most ingredients easily as well.

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 26, 2012

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

bamhand posted:

Isn't that just the Chinese word for vegetables?

No, it is bok choy. Vegetable is shu1cai4. Sorry, no Chinese input on my phone.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Huh, my family has always called it qing cai though what you said works too. I assumed they were interchangeable. Bok choy was bai cai or you cai depending on the variety. We're from Beijing so I guess region might matter too.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Hey Dino, that book by Chao came today. Any specific recipes you find yourself returning to?

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
So this may sound like a stupid question, but are you supposed to eat the copious amount of dried peppers that come with some sichuan dishes?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Depends on your tolerance I guess. But I do. I know a family friend who says that it is where ask the flavor is, and that is true for a lot of well done dishes.

bamhand posted:

Huh, my family has always called it qing cai though what you said works too. I assumed they were interchangeable. Bok choy was bai cai or you cai depending on the variety. We're from Beijing so I guess region might matter too.

bai cai is napa cabbage with every Chinese person I've known.

I love that I'm seeing a lot of food I grew up with. Someone needs to do mi feng gan.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 27, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

icehewk posted:

Hey Dino, that book by Chao came today. Any specific recipes you find yourself returning to?
Please just read it cover to cover. it is well worth the time and effort it takes to read all that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rurutia posted:

bai cai is napa cabbage with every Chinese person I've known.

大白菜 = napa cabbage
小白菜 = 青菜 = bok choy (although my family doesn't ever actually called it 小白菜, always 青菜)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Man that is weird. I have never heard qing cai before to specifically refer to that. Always bai cai or you cai. Anyways, I'm not sure how to keep it from not being soggy but I suspect you'd want to pre cook the mushrooms. Also, when cooking greens in general, you can add a bit of baking soda to keep them a nice green color instead of having them turn yellow from over cooking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always just add bok choy right at the end and barely cook it. Sometimes I throw it in after I've turned off the flame. It gets cooked enough from the remaining heat and doesn't go soggy or yellow or anything.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

pogothemonkey0 posted:

So this may sound like a stupid question, but are you supposed to eat the copious amount of dried peppers that come with some sichuan dishes?

No, not really. I find they are quite good after toasting and I usually eat them then.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
^^^ I'd hope they are toasted if they're already in the dish.

totalnewbie posted:

大白菜 = napa cabbage
小白菜 = 青菜 = bok choy (although my family doesn't ever actually called it 小白菜, always 青菜)

Now that I think about it, it might be a variety thing. xiao bai cai is used for bok choy, but I forgot about it because it's a variety we don't eat (not a preference thing, I'm not sure why). Qing cai refers to a larger and almost completely green variety, whereas xiao bai cai I've only heard to refer to those smaller ones with extremely white stems.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

When you say mushrooms, do you mean those big dried mushrooms like these
http://www.starrygift.com/store/index.php?cPath=90_93&osCsid=5b9e73295e6855acb34779f218209522

Or fresh mushrooms?

When I do stir fry I always braise everything a little bit by the end :iiam: Maybe that's why the chicken strips are a bit over done and not silky smooth. But it cooks the vegetables :eng101: A tedious but safe way to cook is to cook the mushrooms first, then add in the fresh green at last. And don't braise for too long, the vegetables will naturally release juices and shrink.

If you are one of those heavy corn starch people, I would go food snob on you.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
No, I use sliced fresh ones. I think the problem is that I just need to cook them for longer first and the qingcai less. Also I tend to add too much water, I think. I appreciate everyone's tips. And yeah, I put qingcai into Google Translate and it just gave me vegetables, but it's definitely more specific than that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, happy mid autumns and IT'S HAIRY CRAB SEASON. I'm not that great of a chef but can I come here and just post food pictures from restaurants?

Mozi posted:

Also I tend to add too much water, I think.

:wtf:

I don't care if you like your vegetables like goopy greasy Chinatown poo poo or even if you drench your veggies in oyster sauce tasting like sweet cough syrup or add a tonne of numbing chilli peppers and vinegar.

do not add plain water

Rice wine, cooking wine, chicken stock, dark soy sauce, just avoid water. If you want to cook mushrooms and think everything is soggy then you can try add some white coloured bean sprouts (大豆芽?) in high heat the absorb the excess liquid.

Personally I prefer 上湯菜心 with slices of ham to garnish.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah seriously. Make ice cubes of chicken stock, if you need more moisture toss a couple of those in. If you haven't done stock ice cubes before it is loving life changing.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Here in Oakland California, we have our own amazing Chinatown covering about 6 or so blocks. Tons of people all day, every day, eating, shopping, smoking cigarettes, braining fish, sawing pork carcasses, and setting off firecrackers.

Before I converted to cooking chinese food almost exclusively, I would go to various stores in Chinatown thinking of getting some decent "white people" ingredients like potatoes, onions, garlic, etc... I was sucessful in getting pretty much anything for very cheap. Except for milk products. Had to go to Smart and Final.

Dairy is obviously not a big part of the Chinese cuisine, but are there any traditional recipes that make use of cream, cheese, milk (aside from dredging), or butter?

I don't eat all that much dairy anyway, but I just found it odd that such a huge culture of food seems to revolve around specifically excluding dairy.

====

Now my cupboards runneth over with so many spices, herbs, fungi, chilis, sauces, etc that I can make anything presented in this thread without running to the stores. I love this thread soooooooo much.

I had a hot pot party for my birthday using mine and a friend's rice cooker set to steam. Party of the year. It took a while for my friends/family to get used to just trying random crap I set out for them, but after 10 minutes or so people warmed up to the concept and were floored by the obviousness of it all. The noodles I added at the end were incredible with the soup base we all ended up making. Pity we were all stuffed and couldn't eat much. Leftovers were hilariously long lasting too. Fed myself at work for a week with that noodle soup. GOD drat.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

down1nit posted:

I don't eat all that much dairy anyway, but I just found it odd that such a huge culture of food seems to revolve around specifically excluding dairy.

Most of the dairy I've seen has only been used in desserts (custards, cold 'soup', etc) with coconut milk (yes I know, not a dairy) used more often than not. Milk based popsicles (so amazing) and candy is very popular. It's really not that surprising considering most of us are lactose intolerant. I'll ask my parents tonight about it, but I do remember getting bags of milk and yogurt delivered to our house as a toddler. I also remember that they tasted different from what you get here, richer and just better.

Hot pot is amazing.

VVVV That's not real Chinese food!!!

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 27, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

down1nit posted:

Here in Oakland California, we have our own amazing Chinatown covering about 6 or so blocks. Tons of people all day, every day, eating, shopping, smoking cigarettes, braining fish, sawing pork carcasses, and setting off firecrackers.

Before I converted to cooking chinese food almost exclusively, I would go to various stores in Chinatown thinking of getting some decent "white people" ingredients like potatoes, onions, garlic, etc... I was sucessful in getting pretty much anything for very cheap. Except for milk products. Had to go to Smart and Final.

Dairy is obviously not a big part of the Chinese cuisine, but are there any traditional recipes that make use of cream, cheese, milk (aside from dredging), or butter?

Oakland has the best Chinatown in the country IMO, so you're pretty lucky. RE: Dairy. That is true of the coastal Chinese cuisines but the more rural places actually use quite a bit of dairy and cheese in their food. Namely the cuisine closer to Tibet and the cuisine of northern China like near Harbin. In these places, because of the harsh winters, dairy is actually the main source of nutrients. The Chinese community in the Bay Area is generally mostly Cantonese, so you probably won't find much of this type of food if you were to take a random survey of Chinese restaurants. The diversity of cuisines in China cannot be stressed enough, and that's just China, let alone all of Asia. Which is why when people on cooking shows say they made an "Asian" somethingorrather I want to punch them in the face for being dumbignorant. </unrelated rant>

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Rurutia posted:

Most of the dairy I've seen has only been used in desserts (custards, cold 'soup', etc) with coconut milk (yes I know, not a dairy) used more often than not. Milk based popsicles (so amazing) and candy is very popular. It's really not that surprising considering most of us are lactose intolerant. I'll ask my parents tonight about it, but I do remember getting bags of milk and yogurt delivered to our house as a toddler. I also remember that they tasted different from what you get here, richer and just better.

Hot pot is amazing.

Thanks! Is lactose intolerance simply a fact of life to the coastal communities? That's pretty neat-o. Milk is just not used in recipes because no one wants to get a tummy ache, go figure. It's not like they have every other ingredient in the world to cook with, it's understandable milk is not so huge.

I remember a Douglas Adams book making mention of a people who never looked up, simply because the planet was covered in haze and there was nothing to see. When a large vessel started plummeting towards the ground, the people were panicking from the sound but could not fathom looking up to see it heading for them.

Now Marmite intolerance is a universal fact unless you live in New Zealand/Austrailia. (I joke obviously)

GrAviTy84 posted:

Oakland has the best Chinatown in the country IMO, so you're pretty lucky. RE: Dairy. That is true of the coastal Chinese cuisines but the more rural places actually use quite a bit of dairy and cheese in their food. Namely the cuisine closer to Tibet and the cuisine of northern China like near Harbin. In these places, because of the harsh winters, dairy is actually the main source of nutrients. The Chinese community in the Bay Area is generally mostly Cantonese, so you probably won't find much of this type of food if you were to take a random survey of Chinese restaurants. The diversity of cuisines in China cannot be stressed enough, and that's just China, let alone all of Asia. Which is why when people on cooking shows say they made an "Asian" somethingorrather I want to punch them in the face for being dumbignorant. </unrelated rant>

This is great, thank you. Oakland is my home now, this city is superb; I don't think I could live anywhere else if it means losing my Chinatown. Well, I guess there's China but :effort:

As a relatively recent convert to this cuisine, I am quite excited by the prospect that I have so much more to learn. I feel you on the "Asian" crap. Hey guys.... MOTHERFUCKING RUSSIA is partly "Asian". I get facepalmy like that about California style ales and pale ales. We all have something to get off our chests, part of being humans. That, and farting.

Recommend a dish that'll make me fart a lot?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

It's not just dairy that isn't prevalent in most Chinese cuisine, it's also beef. It's kind of a chicken and egg question whether lactose intolerance is a product of not raising cattle or if it's the other way around. According to this article, cattle farming has exploded since 1949. Separately, here's a collection of statistics on lactose intolerance by region.

In Hong Kong style bakeries you'll see cheese and corn buns, and there's also a ton of steamed milk custard places in Hong Kong (which strongly resembles tofu fa, sweet soft tofu). I've seen some pretty strange uses of cheese mixed with seafood over rice and whatnot as well, although in my experience it's always processed cheese food type stuff. Although it's probably changing rapidly, it seems like the Chinese look at fermented milk products in much the same way Westerners might look at balut or any of the variety meats that are popular in China.

Gravity84, can you describe some Northern Chinese dishes involving milk? I'm not familiar with any, (unless you're talking about Tibetan yak's milk stuff) and I wasn't really able to find any by searching the web either. Sounds interesting, though.

Also, fellow Oakland guys, favorite places in Chinatown?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

AriTheDog posted:

Although it's probably changing rapidly, it seems like the Chinese look at fermented milk products in much the same way Westerners might look at balut or any of the variety meats that are popular in China.

Uh, this isn't really true in the region I'm from. Like I said, it's just seen more as a sweet thing and used far more sparingly. Moving here was definitely the first time I saw cheese and most of the cheese/corn buns in Hong Kong style bakeries are probably heavily influenced by the fact that Hong Kong belonged to Great Britain up until a decade ago. But yogurt was definitely pretty prevalent - probably because for various reasons, lactose intolerant people have better tolerance for yogurt.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

AriTheDog posted:

Gravity84, can you describe some Northern Chinese dishes involving milk? I'm not familiar with any, (unless you're talking about Tibetan yak's milk stuff) and I wasn't really able to find any by searching the web either. Sounds interesting, though.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I recall seeing it in things I've read and documentaries I've watched. Specific dishes? Someone with more experience probably knows. I do recall the food from these regions being a lot more rustic than the typical cantonese/sichuan/hunan/etc.

The prevalence of milk in hong kong stuff is probably due to it being a massive trade port. The famous egg tarts (dan tat) are actually from the Portuguese.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Whelp, apparently I'm completely wrong about the lactose intolerant theory. While it is true that the vast majority of Chinese are lactose intolerant, my dad says that because of the way it is processed in China, no one there really has issues. He said it was weird for him that we couldn't tolerate the stuff here. He also said that the main reason is because the south was an agricultural/stationary society and we didn't really have cows but rather just had work bulls? I'm not 100% sure on why the differentiation. He gave the impression that it was because families usually were concerned about making sure they could keep their stuff protected in the house. So it was common for a family to just own 1 bull to use as labor. Same with even pigs, which is eaten far more commonly. He said his grandparents owned a couple of pigs under the stairs and one would get slaughtered for New Years Eve every year. Then everyone had ducks/chickens in the yard. But the food of the south in general was just mostly far more plant based. In contrast, the north were mostly nomads that did not settle down much so their main source of food was the goats/cows/sheep that grazed on the plains. On top of that, dairy just wasn't that popular in the south so the traders just never really brought it down.

I also asked him if he thought Europe brought cheese/yogurt etc to China, and he said he wasn't sure. Although, yogurt/cheese only started being prevalent in the past 50 years - the first time he saw or ate dairy products was in Beijing about 20 years ago. But he thought it was more likely that the gypsies brought it from the plains of northern China into Europe.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Nearly 70% of the world has some kind of lactose intolerance, but since medicine books are largely written by people who are lactase persistent it's a disorder to be intolerant and not the other way around. Cheese was probably invented by turkic people in Central Asia though, which is close enough to China :shobon:. My central chinese family imbibes in a lot of dairy mostly in the form of yogurt, but I think that's almost unheard of in any coastal region.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

down1nit posted:

In Inner Mongolia people like milk tea for breakfast and seem to eat a pretty decent amount of butter and hard cheese.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's a lot easier to raise pigs than cows when you don't have tons of land for pasture.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

AriTheDog posted:

It's not just dairy that isn't prevalent in most Chinese cuisine, it's also beef. It's kind of a chicken and egg question whether lactose intolerance is a product of not raising cattle or if it's the other way around. According to this article, cattle farming has exploded since 1949. Separately, here's a collection of statistics on lactose intolerance by region.

In Hong Kong style bakeries you'll see cheese and corn buns, and there's also a ton of steamed milk custard places in Hong Kong (which strongly resembles tofu fa, sweet soft tofu). I've seen some pretty strange uses of cheese mixed with seafood over rice and whatnot as well, although in my experience it's always processed cheese food type stuff. Although it's probably changing rapidly, it seems like the Chinese look at fermented milk products in much the same way Westerners might look at balut or any of the variety meats that are popular in China.

Also, fellow Oakland guys, favorite places in Chinatown?

Wikipedia has a short blurb about Milk products here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_cuisine#Milk

It seems like it's all of the above theories and the fact that it's simply not easy to rely on cows in the huge cities. Relying on soy products for "creaminess" in dishes is just obvious. All these combined make a lot of sense. Plus, juice from a cow? Ick.

I have about 4 or 5 shops I am a regular at. I generally start my Sunday mornings by going to BC Deli on Franklin and 9th and grab a Bahn Mi and green waffle. Then over to Khanh Phong near 9th and Broadway to grab their herbs (they carry mint!) and meat. Most Chinatown meat kinda scares me, but Khanh Phong keeps their poo poo ICE cold. Noodles and rice from Yuen Hop on 8th at Webster. Then if I still need stuff I head to King of Grocery, and King of Produce. There's a small deli that makes char siu and roast duck. If i'm feeling lazy I'll pick up one of them.

Koreana Plaza owns too.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
Hi,

I've been doing bulk chili and curry that I eat over the week and I love the low cost and ease of both. But I was wondering if there are any Chinese dishes that you can easily cook in bulk, contains good protein content (preferably beans and affiliates), are not too expensive, and can reheat and eat gradually over a week?

I'm thinking something like mapo tofu but please share your suggestions!

Thanks!

P.S. other ethnic cuisine like Japanese works too, key is low cost, ease and tasty when reheated.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

themongol posted:

Hi,

I've been doing bulk chili and curry that I eat over the week and I love the low cost and ease of both. But I was wondering if there are any Chinese dishes that you can easily cook in bulk, contains good protein content (preferably beans and affiliates), are not too expensive, and can reheat and eat gradually over a week?

I'm thinking something like mapo tofu but please share your suggestions!

Thanks!

P.S. other ethnic cuisine like Japanese works too, key is low cost, ease and tasty when reheated.

Mapo tofu scales pretty well.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mongolians and Tibetans, among other minorities in the Han sphere of influence, have been eating dairy like horse and yak respectively for a very long time (Mongolians even drink an alcohol based off fermented horse milk, which is disgusting imo!), so Han Chinese have definitely run across dairy here and there for at least the last millennium or so. But it's not really used in anything in what we'd consider "Chinese" cuisine, to my knowledge

In more recent times, yoghurt and milk are very popular with the young crowd. When I was a teacher my students would usually be drinking milk in the morning. Cheese is seen as hip and cool, and many of my young professional friends buy disgusting Australian processed cheese, dubbed "Coon Cheese", then make me eat it.

I've seen cheese covered jiaozi on menus in a lot of restaurants too. And let's not forget that Pizza Hut is the coolest, hippest chain in modern China.

Anyway, to whoever asked, make the Shizi Tou with lamb and let us know how it goes! I don't see why it wouldn't be great!

I'll post more recipes once I get my kitchen back tomorrow. Does anyone want to know something in particular? More spicy Sichuan stuff?

e: gently caress phone posting

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 29, 2012

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'd love to see more Sichuan stuff, I have a packet of peppers getting lonely in my cupboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Re: Sichuan...

I made family-style tofu from Fuschia Dunlop's cookbook Land of Plenty tonight, and it was super easy and delicious. Chili bean paste stir fried in oil, then add garlic and ginger, stock/water and fried tofu (I bought agedashi tofu because I didn't feel like doing it myself tonight.). Add a little soy sauce and sugar to taste and some green onions and you're done.

Recently I also made stir-fried potato strips, which are just finely julienned potatoes soaked in water to remove the starch and stir fried with peanut oil, sichuan peppercorns, dried chilies, salt, a little vinegar and soy sauce. Simple and tasty.