Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

elpintogrande posted:

Based on the response this is going to be the end of this series and we'll move onto something else.

Meaning the response has been poor? I like this series, especially since I've never played this game and it seems pretty fun, although most of the best characters are dead (Cecil, Karnov). At least Chang lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Hahaha, holy poo poo you got wiped out, Zack. How the hell can you even succeed? What would happen if you just set fire to the house? Or if you just never entered it and just started demolishing it? How the gently caress are you expected to kill the God normally?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tripwood posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo you got wiped out, Zack. How the hell can you even succeed? What would happen if you just set fire to the house? Or if you just never entered it and just started demolishing it? How the gently caress are you expected to kill the God normally?

I've never played it, but my impression of Call of Cthulhu is that everyone goes crazy and/or dies. Just like Lovecraft's stories. If you are very lucky and not too curious you may escape relatively unscathed like Chang and Sharon. But you won't win against the elder gods and various other uncanny things man was never supposed to know about.

Basically, in the CoC universe if you suspect something strange is going on, your best bet is to invite random people to investigate the mystery for you. If they do not succeed within a few days of starting the investigation, then you should sell everything you own and move to another state.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Angela Christine posted:

Basically, in the CoC universe if you suspect something strange is going on, your best bet is to invite random people to investigate the mystery for you. If they do not succeed within a few days of starting the investigation, then you should sell everything you own and move to another state.

And have the military bomb it with poison gas.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Angela Christine posted:

I've never played it, but my impression of Call of Cthulhu is that everyone goes crazy and/or dies. Just like Lovecraft's stories. If you are very lucky and not too curious you may escape relatively unscathed like Chang and Sharon. But you won't win against the elder gods and various other uncanny things man was never supposed to know about.

There's an old piece of 90s internet humor called 'The Ideal Call of Cthulhu Investigation' that operates off that theory:

http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Role-Playing/Horror/Call%20of%20Cthulhu/Humor/Ideal%20Cthulhu%20Investigation/

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Elpintogrande, since a bunch of people posted, will the series continue now or not?

neoboman posted:

Meaning the response has been poor? I like this series, especially since I've never played this game and it seems pretty fun, although most of the best characters are dead (Cecil, Karnov). At least Chang lives.

I think he may have been referring to the fact that his post announcing the third session got no replies for five and a half hours. But then a bunch of people posted so now it's all up in the air.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 28, 2012

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This was the best Cthulhu update so far.

So what is in the monk hole?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'd like to see how WTF DnD handles a Delta Green scenario, especially the aspects of "maintain secrecy at all costs" and which obscure government agencies they would use as cover for PCs.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I personally really like the Chtulluh tabletop but I'd take any other adventures if they are as hilarious as these ones. But honestly, I think you guys set the bar so high with Cecil and Karnov that any other main characters are going to seem awful compared to them.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
I've been enjoying these Call of Cthulhu modules, I hope you guys keep going.

I'm just sad Karnov didn't roll around in the partially formed ring he was shoveling and encrust himself with anti-slugboss armor consisting of sweat and salt.
Oh well, looking forward to the next group of investigators and horrors.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I've really liked the CoC modules and I hope you reconsider ending them.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Add me to the chorus: I'd like to see further CoC adventures as well.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Alright we'll reconsider. If Steve can come up with a compelling character for the next one.

If we don't continue, it's not like we can't revisit call of cthulhu at some point in the future.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
As long as Chang the Celestial is part of the team, I for one will consider the investigator roster a good one.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

It's cruel to end the story with "tune in next time" when the day before I read in this thread there wasn't going to be one. Fingers crossed Steve comes up with a fantastic character and the series can continue.

Or you find another module and run that. I just love when you two run modules and prefer it to making fun of goofy monsters in obscure manuals.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The most recent Cthulhu piece was the best comedic internet article involving an RPG since sliced bread.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 1, 2012

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

elpintogrande posted:

Alright we'll reconsider. If Steve can come up with a compelling character for the next one.

If we don't continue, it's not like we can't revisit call of cthulhu at some point in the future.

Yes do it please, these last few updates have been my favourite frontpage articles.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Elpintogrande: Thanks for reconsidering. And if you want feedback, it'd be best to say so at the end of the next article. This isn't the most popular subforum.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 11, 2012

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I enjoyed these a lot, don't stop writing them, thank you.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

quote:

Steve: Your mouth begins to feel numb. The numbness spreads to your entire body and the world begins to darken. You realize you are no longer standing in the greenhouse but atop a black, rocky plain strewn with crystal formations. The sky is dark except for the occasional flash of purple lightning.

Zack: Before I do anything else I take a long drink of my mint julep.

Steve: It's gone.

Zack: I begin to scream.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Man, those costumes were depressingly bad.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Johnny Walker posted:

Man, those costumes were depressingly bad.

Oh, totally; those bozos at Yandy completely ignored the lucrative potential of a "Sexy Karnov" costume. Curled-toe slippers, a pair of red pajama pants, along with a big-honkin' handlebar mustache, and no man at the party would be able to resist you.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"Go ahead, make my millenium" it took me a full three seconds to recognize this as a quote from the movie Beetlejuice because her delivery was so deadpan.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

Krinkle posted:

"Go ahead, make my millenium" it took me a full three seconds to recognize this as a quote from the movie Beetlejuice because her delivery was so deadpan.

She was probably aiming for sultry, but her bedroom eyes are as bad as her costume.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Costumes? Delivery? What are you all talking about?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The new costume delivery service that Zack and Steve just started.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Costumes? Delivery? What are you all talking about?

The latest Fashion Swat. For some reason it's being discussed in this thread. :iiam:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I think I speak for the majority when I ask just what the gently caress is that guy doing in picture #10 of today's episode? That you were able to discuss it without the obvious references to oral sex is an admirable trait in both of you.

yaboonabi
Mar 21, 2008
I just wanted to say how much I like the WTF, DND? feature updates. Everything for me stops when I see a new one; I sit down, transfixed, and read it beginning to end. The only thing that makes this sadder is that I don't play any tabletop games. After years of resisting attempts by obnoxious peers to draft me for grueling campaigns, I think I derive satisfaction from watching Zack and Steve pick these games apart.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The Warhammer Fantasy WTF DND was hilarious

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I had been wondering when we'd get another WTF D&D?. Well worth the wait.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Page 10 made me say "what the gently caress" out loud when it loaded. Thanks.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

maxnmona posted:

Page 10 made me say "what the gently caress" out loud when it loaded. Thanks.

There's actually a companion piece to that one that has more of the hooded guys and a lot more going on, but the one we used was much creepier. I'll track down that other one when I get a chance and post it here. There was so much weird and creepy art. Lots of it crude.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Warhammer Fantasy is one of those series that would just do well with WTF, DnD; it has so many goddamned charts it'd be Steve's dream come true.

There's a chart in Tome of Salvation, a 2nd Edition book, to determine what your randomly generated religious man will be wearing. Options include nothing, and a pig for a hat, complete with illustration of said man with pig on head.

It also fetches you art like this, for a 'used horse salesman' class.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Here is the other KKK pentagram dudes picture:

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

elpintogrande posted:

Grand Wizard H.R. Giger.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Those hooded guys are still a lot freakier than the tentacle mouth beast. I really have to echo Steve's sentiment that the relatively mundane things in the pictures are far more disturbing than the supernatural stuff.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

elpintogrande posted:

That Klansman in the foreground really sells the picture with his "I just caught a whiff of that demon's hellish sulfur-fart" expression.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

elpintogrande posted:

I legitmately have no loving clue what sort of monster that's supposed to be. Is this from the first set of Warhammer Fantasy books? What the hell does the book say it is?

Cause I know they've changed so much dumb poo poo and deciding 'yeah the tentacle monster with 20 mouths is a bit much' would be something they'd do so they can replace it with a dumbass bird monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Remember how fond you guys were of Raven McCracken, the creator of World of Synnibarr? Steve said "He's pretty much the best dude. I wish I knew what he was up to now." It turns out he's been retooling Synnibarr and is ready to release it into the wild with the magic of crowdfunding and it will include The Worldship Atlas. For only $350 you can meet the man himself and actually play a game of Synnibarr: Invicta. He also has a mohawk now.

quote:

Zack: He is in the wild now, Steve. Let him be free. If he comes back with a Synnibarr II you will know it was meant to be.

• Locked thread