Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

The Oncoming Storm posted:

OMG, this cat.

So we had her booked to go in at 11:30 am for removal of the E-tube.

About 9:30 this morning she decided she didn't want to wait for us. Somehow, I have no goddamned idea how, she got the tube out of her esophagus and then her neck. It was dangling - the loose end on one side, the capped end on the other - from the stapled area where the vet inserted it. Held by staples and skin.

When we got our first cat, he developed symptoms of calicivirus that night and stopped eating. After 2 days of cramming baby food into him, I found him face down in the litter box, so we took him to the e-vet where I work (UPenn). They put a tube in and we got him back a few days later. After 4 days, he was well enough that he was eating on his own, and one morning we got up to find that he had pulled the tube out and it was dangling from the bandage, while he casually strolled around with a hole in the side of his neck and demanded breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.

chutwig posted:

When we got our first cat, he developed symptoms of calicivirus that night and stopped eating. After 2 days of cramming baby food into him, I found him face down in the litter box, so we took him to the e-vet where I work (UPenn). They put a tube in and we got him back a few days later. After 4 days, he was well enough that he was eating on his own, and one morning we got up to find that he had pulled the tube out and it was dangling from the bandage, while he casually strolled around with a hole in the side of his neck and demanded breakfast.

Ha! That's a talented kitty. And feeding tubes are miraculous inventions, seriously.

I remember thinking, Eew will have to fight. We can only offer support but it's up to her. When we went to see her that first night in the hospital she gave us such a withering glare. I knew she'd be ok when I saw that. :D

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Plutobear is a 2-week-new shelter adoptee who really, really likes burying stuff. He paws at the ground, nearby objects, and litter after pooping, and eating. He left a massive one today and pawed even more vigorously than usual, so I recorded the second half of it.

Beyond accounting for the newness of the situation (he spent a year in a shelter) and the internet research that tells me he just think he has dirt in his paws, why does he do it this much? He also does not actually bury his poop; it stays in the furthest corner of the litterbox (yes, he hits the side with it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEjxUTsnbss

He also bats at my face (with claws unextended) if I come within arm's reach of him on a seemingly random basis. Should I worry?

-He is spayed
-He is about 3 years old
-He spent about a year in the shelter, given up by previous owner because of allergies
-We have an 8 year old female cat that he has been introduced to over the last two weeks

edit: bats at face with claws extended now, too

Zeris fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 26, 2012

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Zeris posted:

Plutobear is a 2-week-new shelter adoptee who really, really likes burying stuff. He paws at the ground, nearby objects, and litter after pooping, and eating. He left a massive one today and pawed even more vigorously than usual, so I recorded the second half of it.

He just scritchin'. The cat I had when I was a kid liked to do it in the bathtub, go figure.

Is that the litterbox in the corner? If you move it into a more convenient spot (room on more than 2 sides), he might start burying his stuff better. My little guy has to climb out of his covered box and then go back in face-first to bury his stuff so obviously some like to have an eye on what they're doing. The back corner might be too out of reach for the lazy dude.

Batting without claws is no big deal. Batting with claws is obviously bad. Try yelping, ssst-ing, or clapping at him when he does that and he should get an idea eventually that you don't like having your face scratched. My rescue is much, much better about this, he gets batty when he plays but usually the claws stay in.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Zeris posted:

Beyond accounting for the newness of the situation (he spent a year in a shelter) and the internet research that tells me he just think he has dirt in his paws, why does he do it this much?

That's a bullshit answer from the internet. My cat is 14 years old and I've had him since he was a kitten, he's been an indoor cat his entire life. He doesn't know what having dirt in his paws is like. That video is exactly what my cat does, too. It's pretty cute actually. I like to think he's cleaning up after himself, even if there's nothing to clean. He will scritchy around for several minutes after the litterbox, after eating or drinking, and in the bathtub after I let him drink water from the faucet. I think it's adorable, and he's done it his entire life.

You can sum it up to: It's just something cats do.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Do cats like being chased? My kitty will sometimes scratch at the door, but then take off and hide when I get up to let her out. (~2yrs female tortie) Is it just that she doesn't like getting harnessed? She runs around for a bit but then always stops in the same place (curled up on a dresser). Her heartbeat seems elevated when I catch up to her (and I try not to be intimidating while 'chasing' her-- I just sort of follow along and call her name softly, I don't try to grab at her or anything) So is this her initiating play? Is there someway to encourage her not to run when I go to put on the harness?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

He just scritchin'. The cat I had when I was a kid liked to do it in the bathtub, go figure.

Is that the litterbox in the corner? If you move it into a more convenient spot (room on more than 2 sides), he might start burying his stuff better. My little guy has to climb out of his covered box and then go back in face-first to bury his stuff so obviously some like to have an eye on what they're doing. The back corner might be too out of reach for the lazy dude.

Batting without claws is no big deal. Batting with claws is obviously bad. Try yelping, ssst-ing, or clapping at him when he does that and he should get an idea eventually that you don't like having your face scratched. My rescue is much, much better about this, he gets batty when he plays but usually the claws stay in.

Thanks!

My followup question is that the batting sometimes (but not always) happens in correlating with some kind of snuggling or positive attention.

example 1 - he "plops" over on his side and as soon as you pet him below the neck / near the forepaws, he swats. He also leans forward like a bite is coming but I haven't lingered long enough to tell. It seems playful, though his ears go back - no hissing/growling or other signs of aggression. Claws come out for this. I think he is treating a hand like a toy.

example 2 - I'm holding him, and he is usually extremely docile. But I looked closely at him (eye to eye) and once I came within paw's range, his pupils became HUGE and the clawed paw got me in the forehead. A little blood but nothing serious. Was this playful, or a defense against a perceived attack? He was not tense prior to the rake, and has been docile in my arms dozens of times prior.

Example 3 - he is on a cat tree, or the bed, or the arm of a chair, and I look closely at him to say hi. Again, eyes go huge and I got a paw to the check or head (no claws) so I back off immediately.

In all three cases I give an exaggerated yelp and ignore him for the next 15 minutes or so.

Thanks for all the help. especially regarding the ground scratching. Googling cat answers can be the worst.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zeris posted:

Thanks!

My followup question is that the batting sometimes (but not always) happens in correlating with some kind of snuggling or positive attention.

example 1 - he "plops" over on his side and as soon as you pet him below the neck / near the forepaws, he swats. He also leans forward like a bite is coming but I haven't lingered long enough to tell. It seems playful, though his ears go back - no hissing/growling or other signs of aggression. Claws come out for this. I think he is treating a hand like a toy.

example 2 - I'm holding him, and he is usually extremely docile. But I looked closely at him (eye to eye) and once I came within paw's range, his pupils became HUGE and the clawed paw got me in the forehead. A little blood but nothing serious. Was this playful, or a defense against a perceived attack? He was not tense prior to the rake, and has been docile in my arms dozens of times prior.

Example 3 - he is on a cat tree, or the bed, or the arm of a chair, and I look closely at him to say hi. Again, eyes go huge and I got a paw to the check or head (no claws) so I back off immediately.

In all three cases I give an exaggerated yelp and ignore him for the next 15 minutes or so.

Thanks for all the help. especially regarding the ground scratching. Googling cat answers can be the worst.
1) playing, use a toy, don't put hands there
2) playing most likely
3) playing most likely

Don't let her swat you(go away), use a toy, give it time.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

gabi posted:

My drat cat kicked me in the face when I tried to give her antibiotics and got away, I spilled most of it (I've never had to give her liquid medicine before, only pills). She got some of it, I know that, but not all of it. Should I try again, potentially wasting another dose, or make my boyfriend do it when he gets home this morning? He's been doing it for the past few days, but he said he didn't want to anymore because he hated the looks she gave him. :sigh:

Cat, I'm trying to keep you alive here. Don't kick me in the face. :catstare:

Since I am too broke to get my cats teeth removed (like the vet recommended) she is on liquid pain killers, which are a major pain, but unlike pills, at least once you squirt it in your done. With pills you gotta keep holding them awhile till they swallow it. I am hoping there is a long term option to be on pain killers. Because sorry kitty, I need my wisdom teeth removed, and I can't afford that either.
The method my gf and I have been using is she kneels on the floor and holds my cat between her knees and using her hands, then I open her mouth and squirt it in as best I can.

My cat is still being frustratingly picky. One moment she likes Iam's food for a day, the next day she ignores it. She sometimes wants pate style, other times chunks or filet style. i even tried baby food, which she liked for a day, then lost interest in. She liked the can of store brand cat food that I still had on in the shelf, when previously she lost all interest in. I guess I just gotta try my best to vary foods to her taste.

benjai
Jun 26, 2007

When my cat does this, it's to tell me something is wrong with the litter box. Most commonly, it's to tell me there isn't enough sand (or space) for him. Of course, my silly boy needs an absurd amount of sand in his litter box or else he's not really happy. I also second moving the litterbox somewhere where he can reach it from more then one-two sides.

Might just be me also, but the box looks really of small. Once again, my boy is a total brat, but when he had a too small litterbox he acted like that a lot too. Might be worth looking in to?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

benjai posted:

When my cat does this, it's to tell me something is wrong with the litter box. Most commonly, it's to tell me there isn't enough sand (or space) for him. Of course, my silly boy needs an absurd amount of sand in his litter box or else he's not really happy. I also second moving the litterbox somewhere where he can reach it from more then one-two sides.

Might just be me also, but the box looks really of small. Once again, my boy is a total brat, but when he had a too small litterbox he acted like that a lot too. Might be worth looking in to?

Well, I have 3 litterboxes (in the vid theres another one next to the one he's in) for 2 cats; the third is accessible from 3 sides but it is covered, and very large. All have 3-4 inches of litter depth...does that address your ideas? I am not sure what else to offer him.

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!

Zeris posted:

Thanks!

My take on the first two is that he is being petted/held when he doesn't like/want it. My cat doesn't like being petted on like his chest and he will usually have the same kind of reaction, which is to stop whatever you are doing RIGHT NOW. He may also be done being held as well, my cat will only tolerate so much before he starts to get antsy about being let down.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Goons, I need your help.

I have a 14 month old female cat and a 2 month old female cat I just adopted. She was a stray I found. Local shelters had no room and would not take her so she came home with me after a checkup.

My place is big enough for two cats but due to a lack of doors in my home(stupid architect!) separating them is a tad difficult.

My older cat freaked out when I first brought the kitten home, understandably.

I set the kitten up in a bathroom and left here in there for a day with food, water, literbox, toys and frequent visits by me. Door closed, it is the only door in my home. I put my cats food bowl in front of the door. Every time I went inside to play with the kitty, my cat was very interested in sniffing my hands when I came out.

I have been putting my underwear in the bed I set up for the kitten. She sleeps on it, i've put a pair in my cats sleeping spot and her favorite perch.

Today I blocked the doorway with a baby-door-barrier-thingy and put a sheet to cover the rest of it so I can pass through but kitty and adult cat cannot get through. I opened the door. They can see each other through the baby-screen-thingy.

My cat seems a little scared and overall skittish now but is not openly hostile. Her back is not arched, her tail is not up and she has not hissed at it.

She is going over occasionally to watch from a distance. The kitten seems fine and very much wants to get out and I WANT to let her out, which is why I fear I may be speeding up the introduction more than I should? With my home setup the only way I can really keep them separate at all is to keep her in there, my home has no other doors except for one on one of my bathrooms.

Is it safe to keep things like this, till my older cat gets used to the kitten? Am I doing more harm than good in trying to speed things up like this?

Edit: Well, after about 20 minutes of this setup my cat went over and started hissing over and over about a foot from the door. Door closed... i'll keep working on scent association and try again in a few days. As much as I want to speed things up, I clearly can't. My cat is not attacking me or anything, she came to me for support but is skittish.

I work a full time job and have off today but am worried, I have no one who can come in to give my kitty attention during my work hours... I do not want to neglect my kitty but I will not be home till late in the evening tomorrow and Friday.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 26, 2012

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Diogines posted:

Is it safe to keep things like this, till my older cat gets used to the kitten? Am I doing more harm than good in trying to speed things up like this?

Edit: Well, after about 20 minutes of this setup my cat went over and started hissing over and over about a foot from the door. Door closed... i'll keep working on scent association and try again in a few days. As much as I want to speed things up, I clearly can't. My cat is not attacking me or anything, she came to me for support but is skittish.

I work a full time job and have off today but am worried, I have no one who can come in to give my kitty attention during my work hours... I do not want to neglect my kitty but I will not be home till late in the evening tomorrow and Friday.

From what I can tell (introduced a 3.5 month old kitten to a 2 year old cat nearly a year ago, they cuddle sometimes now!), you just need copious patience. This site helped, http://wvcats.com/integrating_kittens_with_cats.htm, though your experience will likely not be textbook.

Go slow, pay attention to their body language, etc.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

My biggest immediate problem is due to my busy job I can't give the kitty a lot of attention. I am happy to keep them apart to let the introduction go at their own pace but how do I give my kitty the attention she deserves?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Are there any super long lasting flea prevention methods? I'm in a bit of a bind due to my lease arrangements / Actual Cat that's preventing me from taking the stray I've been feeding out back (and who lives under my deck) into the house on a more permanent basis. I want to give him scritches but am TERRIFIED of catching a flea infestation. Is there any good way to minimize the chance of that happening?

I'll probably be able to grab him soon if I need to take him in to the vet or something.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Diogines posted:

My biggest immediate problem is due to my busy job I can't give the kitty a lot of attention. I am happy to keep them apart to let the introduction go at their own pace but how do I give my kitty the attention she deserves?

Honestly they sound fine to me. Do supervised interactions for a while. There will be hissing but your kitty will get over herself eventually. For now, keep them apart while you can't supervise, and separate them if serious poo poo goes down (blood, mainly). This is an example of a cat fight of the kind I'd expect from two recently introduced cats.* It'd upset you, but isn't really a big deal at all..

* It is also possible that your cat will try to do this but your kitten will be oblivious as gently caress and come running up all LET'S PLAY ARE WE FRIENDS I'M FRIENDS HI so then your cat might run away and hide a bit. Anyway that's fine, is what I'm saying.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011
We have two cats (Audrey and Amy) and one of them is deaf(Audrey). How do we get her to not scream at the top of her lungs at 3 am, or if we're lucky 5 am?
I have a hard time figuring out what makes her do it and what we can do:

-Food: Probably, because my mom started feeding her in the middle of the night because she's meowing. But sometimes she meows even if there are some kibbles left. We feed the cats wet food during the day and at 12 am dry food for the night. We tried changing it up and giving only wet food which didn't work and made cat two upset, because she loves her Royal Canine (Yeah, not the best dry food, but it's the only one she eats).

-Playing: Could be. We play with both the cats as much as they want, but Amy is the more dominant one and Audrey doesn't want to play till Amy is tired and even then not near her. The strange thing is, sometimes Audrey doesn't mind Amy at all and plays without looking at her. Going into another room doesn't work Amy meows on the other side of the door and Audrey wtaches the door the whole time. Audrey doesn't want to play when she's screaming, we tried it. She likes to run on her one at night, or sometimes plays fetch with Amy. Most of the time it's only play, just seldom it evolves into a cat fight, but nothing serious.

-Attention: Audrey doesn't really like to be pet a lot. Sometimes at night she wants to crawl under my parents covers, or sleeps on me when I'm at my parents', every other weekend. She screams louder when I'm there, but never comes in my bedroom.

-Age,Health: She's 4 years old and in top health. The last vet visit was a month ago and she screams since we got her, just over a year ago. She is deaf, but capable of meowing really quiet if she wants to.

The main target is my dad which is kinda strange. He loves the cats and gives them sometimes treats, but doesn't feed them, or plays with them.

What we tried:
-Changing the feeding habits. Worked exactly one time.
-Ignoring. My parents try to ignore her, but sometimes my dad will turn on the lights and tell her to shut up (yeah, great plan with the cat being deaf and all). The problem with my dad is that he's older and even if he tries to ignore her, he simply forgets to do that, especially at 3-5 am in the morning.

So, what can I do? Even Amy is annoyed by the screaming, you should he her grumble if Audrey wakes her up.

Minister of Chance fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 27, 2012

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:
My cat got outside about 24 hours ago and hasn't returned.

He's found ways of sneaking out before, and I've tried my best to eliminate his chances of escape. Unfortunately, my last roommate was insistent that cats need to go outside as part of some natural want or need, and he encouraged my cat to go out when I wasn't home. I got very mad at him over this. He never loving listened. loving rear end in a top hat.

I wasn't home last night, and my roommate left his bedroom window open while he was in the shower (this is a different roommate). My cat popped the corner of the screen out and left. I've been living in this location for a couple months now, and he has snuck out via a window screen once before (though he came back almost immediately). I keep the windows closed when I'm not home.

When he's snuck out before, he always comes back within a few hours. I live in New Mexico, and I'm fairly close to an arroyo on the edge of town. When I was searching for him earlier, I saw a fox. There are also lots of coyotes.

I live in a quiet little neighborhood, and there are lots of stray cats around here. I just keep spontaneously sobbing. My poor baby. I left a window open with a can of tuna on the windowsill and some lights on. I checked the websites of area shelters and I'll be calling them tomorrow as well as conducting a more thorough search of the surrounding neighborhoods and the arroyo. Perhaps post some flyers? Knock on some neighbors' doors? He is microchipped, so if someone turns him into a shelter, I should receive a phone call.

Anything else I can/should do?

My cat is my child and this loving sucks. I'm currently sitting in the livingroom next to the open window, like a worried parent waiting for their teenager to come home after they broke curfew. :cry:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

jemsy posted:

Your roommate is a shitlord. Leave your cat's litterbox outside as well. I hope he comes home soon. :(

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

Kerfuffle posted:

Leave your cat's litterbox outside as well. I hope he comes home soon. :(

And perhaps some clothes that smell of you.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Actually, here is a good link for anyone whose cat gets out - it is suspected that cats raised and housed differently (mainly indoor/outdoor vs strictly indoor vs former stray etc) will act differently when they are "missing." This site explains that a bit and gives some tips:

http://www.catsinthebag.org/

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
Also post a lost cat ad on Craigslist. I would try to put one in the "pet" and the "lost and found" sections. And keep an eye on both of those sections for people posting found ads until you find your kitty.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Call local vets & shelters, too, and see if anyone's brought in a cat that looks like yours.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

A Cat Person's Guide to Dating. This actually made me giggle quite a bit. And I can identify!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Honestly they sound fine to me. Do supervised interactions for a while. There will be hissing but your kitty will get over herself eventually. For now, keep them apart while you can't supervise, and separate them if serious poo poo goes down (blood, mainly). This is an example of a cat fight of the kind I'd expect from two recently introduced cats.* It'd upset you, but isn't really a big deal at all..

* It is also possible that your cat will try to do this but your kitten will be oblivious as gently caress and come running up all LET'S PLAY ARE WE FRIENDS I'M FRIENDS HI so then your cat might run away and hide a bit. Anyway that's fine, is what I'm saying.

When I open the door so they can see each other through the screen, my cat watches for a while, goes over and then hiises 4-5 times then runs back to me and resumes it.

The kitten just keeps meowing, she wants to come out and play.

Should I be worried about the repeated hissing?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Diogines posted:

When I open the door so they can see each other through the screen, my cat watches for a while, goes over and then hiises 4-5 times then runs back to me and resumes it.

The kitten just keeps meowing, she wants to come out and play.

Should I be worried about the repeated hissing?

No. Hissing is normal and expected.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So my cat is a bit of a weirdo. He is coming up to three years old and is a neutered male. He is a bit like Jekyll and Hyde. He can seem pretty friendly, but if you go to stroke him, he might tear your poo poo up. You can tell from his body language (he blinks and kind of draws his head back) but people cant usually pick up on this and it doesn't end well for them. It's a shame, because he is cute as gently caress and I want people to like him.

Also, he will often lie on the ground and roll around in a cute fashion when approached, exposing his belly, stretching etc. If you so much as look at his belly he will make a sound and proceed to gently caress poo poo up. You cant touch it, but it is so ripe for a rubbing/stroking. I have seen loads of cats who don't give a gently caress and let people do what they want.

How can I get him to be less aggressive in general? Sometimes he is really sweet and comes up to chill on your lap and drool on you, other times he is a spiky fucker. I do try to yell NO or blow in his face when he goes too far but it just ends up pissing him off and he may attack your feet as you turn to walk away.

Anyone have any experience with this. Can I train him to chill the gently caress out and be more docile? He is treated really well, is healthy, lots of food and love when he will allow it. He goes both inside and outside and we have no other pets,

henpod fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 28, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Sorry man, that's just kind of the personality of your cat. He might calm down as he gets older, or he might not. And really the fluffy cat stomach trap is the biggest Cat Thing out there.

But don't blow in his face or yell at him, that isn't cool and honestly won't do anything (as you yourself said, it makes it worse). How do you play with him? Do/did you use your hands as toys? Have you considered getting another cat? Maybe he'd do well with a cat buddy.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Kerfuffle posted:

Sorry man, that's just kind of the personality of your cat. He might calm down as he gets older, or he might not. And really the fluffy cat stomach trap is the biggest Cat Thing out there.

But don't blow in his face or yell at him, that isn't cool and honestly won't do anything (as you yourself said, it makes it worse). How do you play with him? Do/did you use your hands as toys? Have you considered getting another cat? Maybe he'd do well with a cat buddy.

Yeah, I am resigned to the fact that he just isn't a very nice little dude sometimes as part of his personality. I don't yell at him, I just say 'No' loudly to let him know what he is doing isn't ok. The blowing thing I guess is dumb, but it does stop him when he gets too rough. I guess I am trying to condition him to not be so rough but he isn't really getting the message. Any tips on this?

I guess I don't play with him as much as I should. Sometimes I chase him round the house, or he chases me. Hides, jumps out and runs away. I will make en effort to play with him more with his various fluffy toys.

Is a laser a proper toy? Sure, it wears hum out, but there's not a whole lot of interaction there.

I can't get another cat, but I think he might be buddies with another neighbourhood cat. Perhaps he isn't as well socialised as he could be, because at the moment he is alone at home all day until I come home from work...

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Give a laser pointer and this toy called Da Bird(can get it on amazon for like $5) a go. Both cheap and have pretty good success rates.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
As of last night, I'm taking care of my brother's girlfriend cat for a year while she and my brother live out of country, and I have never lived with a pet before so I'm a little anxious about what I'm doing. The cat's already had a vet checkup and her health is good, I've been given basic care instructions, basic nutrition info, read the FAQ here, hung out with the cat in her home and found her to be very sweet, and know the cat to be generally very easy-going and low-maintenance....feeling pretty good about that.

She arrived last night, got introduced to her litterbox (which she used in the middle of the night, so she's successfully learned where it is), and has been hiding in various nooks in the house as is normal. However, she hasn't eaten, which I also know is normal for a cat freaked out by a move, but....at what point does a cat not eating become problematic?

Before going to bed last night, I warmed up her food in the microwave and put it right in front of the furniture she was hiding under, and she didn't eat anything during the middle of the night. Before leaving for work this morning, I warmed up some new food and left that in her designated kitchen area where she can smell it, so hopefully I'll come home to see that some of it is eaten. **It's just occurred to me that this is not the food she typically eats, so maybe she just doesn't like it. I'll pick up some of her usual food tonight and see if that works. I'll get some Feliway to see if that helps, too.

My brother and his girlfriend are coming by on Sunday and staying with me for a few days, so I'm sure that if she hasn't eaten by then, they'll know what to do and maybe their presence will comfort her enough that she eats, but is that too long for her to go without food?

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

jemsy posted:

My cat got outside about 24 hours ago and hasn't returned.

My cat is my child and this loving sucks. I'm currently sitting in the livingroom next to the open window, like a worried parent waiting for their teenager to come home after they broke curfew. :cry:

I did a year of University away from my home province for a year. At that time my mom was also moving so she gave our dog to my dad, and my cat as well for him to take care of. After I was dropped off in September she took the pets to my dad's place (she was actually born there, so she likely remembered it). My cat escaped immediately. No one was able to find her, and she would appear occasionally only to disappear when a person opened the door to approach her. I didn't hear of this until I returned for thanksgiving in October. I failed to find her the couple days I was there. I returned again for Christmas, and found her almost immediately and scooped her up and brought her in. I think she must of dabbled with other owners or had shelter at the very least. She was missing for about four months .

Though she was very much an outdoors cat, incredibly street smart. (literally looking both ways before crossing the street), and a excellent hunter (she has relaxed considerably the last couple years). Even if your cat was primarily an indoor cat, don't give up on her just yet!

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

henpod posted:

I guess I don't play with him as much as I should. Sometimes I chase him round the house, or he chases me. Hides, jumps out and runs away. I will make en effort to play with him more with his various fluffy toys.

Is a laser a proper toy? Sure, it wears hum out, but there's not a whole lot of interaction there.

You probably don't want to be physically touching your cat when playing, since that reinforces that it's alright to play fight or hurt humans. You need toys that you can control, but that the cat will be able to discern as separate from you. Two of the ones my cat loves are really cheap:

The Cat Dancer 301($4.50): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DHV16/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02

The Cat Dancer 101 ($2.28):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N9I68/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03

For some reason, these are much more appealing to my cat than the $10 cat fishing toy I bought from PetSmart that has feathers and makes noise.

If you do use a laser pointer with him, some people recommend starting your play session with the laser, but ending with a physical toy so the cat can get some kind of physical payoff when he finally catches his 'prey'.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

No. Hissing is normal and expected.

Next day. She is still doing the hissing routine... should I isolate them completely and give it more time?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Diogines posted:

Next day. She is still doing the hissing routine... should I isolate them completely and give it more time?
Youve had the cat for two days now, correct? It can take a week or two before they get along. Some cats are immediate buddies, some take a while to even tolerate each other.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm sure this was already asked somewhere, but is there a way to pre-pick a new cat to ensure that they get along with Current Cat? Bringing your cat to the Shelter seems... like it might be a bit silly, but who knows! I've got a 2-year-old Savannah who needs a buddy because man I cannot keep up with this cat. Also I want her to stop knocking everything down.

Also I am a terrible owner and let it play with everything. I can't say no. And then I get paws batting my face when I try to sleep.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Diogines posted:

No, this advice vvvv still applies.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Hissing is like the cat version of small talk, except less friendly. It's part of sizing each other up and figuring out how the relationship is going to work. Older kitty is all "WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE i'm scared mum YEAH YOU BETTER RUN after that laser pointer... YEAH" but eventually she'll figure out the kitten isn't interested in murdering her and it'll all be okay. They may never be kitten pile best friends forever, but after two days it is really hard to say.

I keep on posting and it's not making you feel better but I'll go ahead and keep on doing it. So I wrote up the introductions thing in the OP of this thread, but IRL I have never bothered with it. I usually give newcat/cat who just moved some chilling time, then once it's more or less copacetic, I let the other cats meet it. If someone's getting beaten up, sure I separate them. But if they're just hissing? Hell, that means things are going well! Just hissing is awesome. They usually work it out in a few days.

e: :words: I know. Anyway one more thing. If you separate them every time there is hissing, the hissing will not stop. You need to allow them time to get the hissy stage done before they can move on to "wary sniffing" and/or "grumpy ignoring." Only once the hissing and wary/grumpy period has passed can they figure out their relationship. Honestly with a clearly not super alpha cat (based on how you're describing her behavior) and a kitten, you'll probably have peace within a few days of total exposure. Just let them interact and chill.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 29, 2012

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

ladyweapon posted:

Youve had the cat for two days now, correct? It can take a week or two before they get along. Some cats are immediate buddies, some take a while to even tolerate each other.

Don't be discouraged if they aren't cuddle buddies after two weeks, either. We adopted a middle aged female and introduced her to my 14 year old male, and it took them a solid six weeks of baby step introductions until they could be in the same room as each other. It's been four months now and they are finally able to sniff each other and fall asleep next to each other (but not touching at all).

Be patient. Even though right now it feels like they'll never get along, just give it time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Rhjamiz posted:

I'm sure this was already asked somewhere, but is there a way to pre-pick a new cat to ensure that they get along with Current Cat? Bringing your cat to the Shelter seems... like it might be a bit silly, but who knows! I've got a 2-year-old Savannah who needs a buddy because man I cannot keep up with this cat. Also I want her to stop knocking everything down.

Pick a new cat that likes to play with other cats. Cat intros are almost always best done slow (measured in days or weeks rather than hours), so you can't really do a trial run unless you foster.