Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

OptimusMatrix posted:

How the gently caress does Plano have LTE but Phoenix, one of the most populated cities in the country hasn't even had WiMAX yet. Why am I still on Sprint.

Plano is a suburb of Dallas, one of the LTE launch markets? It all runs together as one big city here. DFW is the fourth largest MSA, after NYC, LA, and Chicago. Houston is number five... all of which are under way right now. Plus DFW is home to a ton of corporate offices/business customers so I'm sure that also has something to do with it.

How, in your mind, would launching Phoenix first be a wise business move?

Keep in mind there are three major vendors handling the rollout based on geographical area so Phoenix is in the area handled by the same people doing LA and SF. This is supposed to help speed up the rollout by having separate network centers, separate crews, and separate equipment production lines. The rollouts are happening by Sprint's market areas so when DFW gets upgraded that actually includes all the towers along interstates and in small cities from Canton to Alverado, Terrell to Sherman, because they're all part of the DFW market and Sprint isn't going to roll crews back out here later to do the relatively few remaining towers in the rural areas - might as well just do the whole market and move on to the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

some texas redneck posted:

Is it just me, or is LTE a lot easier on the battery than Wimax was? I generally kept 4G off on my NS4G (the battery would die in a few hours otherwise), while I keep the Galaxy Nexus on LTE/CDMA. LTE doesn't seem to make a major impact on the battery performance, whereas leaving Wimax on with the NS4G guaranteed a dead battery before 2pm.
The reasons for this are that (1) Lte is a far more mature technology. Since more than one carrier is using it compared to Wimax, it makes more sense to have the technology be as robust as possible. This also causes problems to show up more, leading to faster solutions. And (2) Lte is running at a lower frequency than wimax, which gives your phone better service. When your phone doesn't have to struggle to get service, it uses less energy, which conserves battery life.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

change my name posted:

Another "should I renew for 2 years question": I'm in nyc now, but next year I might be living in Montreal instead. Would I be hosed?
If you're moving out of the country, I would advise against going onto any contract with a US wireless carrier. Maybe get something without a contract like Cricket, Metro or Boost to hold you over until the move.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Cock Democracy posted:

If you're moving out of the country, I would advise against going onto any contract with a US wireless carrier. Maybe get something without a contract like Cricket, Metro or Boost to hold you over until the move.
On the other hand, you could argue that moving out of the country (and therefore out of Sprint's service area) prevents Sprint from delivering service to you as part of your contract. If they can't provide you with service, they can't hold you to your end. Maybe.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

On the other hand, you could argue that moving out of the country (and therefore out of Sprint's service area) prevents Sprint from delivering service to you as part of your contract. If they can't provide you with service, they can't hold you to your end. Maybe.

Eh, that's a maybe. I think there is a difference between moving to an area in the US with no coverage and moving to a different country.

Either way, either buy an iphone 5 since you could just sell it to make up the ETF anyway, or get an unlocked phone for ATT and use ATT till you move (a lot of Canadian carriers use the same frequency so you could use the phone there).

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Ender.uNF posted:

Also this does mean I am Sprint's bitch and added another line to get my iPhone 5. I just can't bring myself to give money to AT&T or Verizon.

Am I missing something or did you activate a new line you don't need and are agreeing to pay $30/month ($720) for two years so you save $400 on the phone price?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
When I go to https://www.sprint.com/verify I get

quote:

Thank you for your interest in the Sprint Discount Program. Your Sprint discount eligibility is confirmed through April 15, 2013, so no action is required for your account at this time.
Is there any chance I can upgrade right now without being immediately required to verify my discount eligibility?

I tried Googling for the policy change about upgrades/discounts, but I can't find it. Anyone have a link?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

ZeroAX posted:

Am I missing something or did you activate a new line you don't need and are agreeing to pay $30/month ($720) for two years so you save $400 on the phone price?

I'm giving the line to a family member who will pay me back so I'm not paying anything for it. Plus if I buy the phone outright it doesn't change the monthly price so once I am eligible for an upgrade I am throwing away subsidy money.

If you had read closely you would know that I offered to pay the ETF fee to reset my upgrade eligibility but Sprint said no... They told me I'd have to leave Sprint for a couple of months after paying the ETF.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OptimusMatrix posted:

How the gently caress does Plano have LTE but Phoenix, one of the most populated cities in the country hasn't even had WiMAX yet. Why am I still on Sprint.

Probably because it is so cockbreakingly hot in Phoenix for the next month or two that it would be legitimate abuse of labor to send people out to gently caress around with a tower that necessarily is some distance from proper shade.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

When I go to https://www.sprint.com/verify I get

Is there any chance I can upgrade right now without being immediately required to verify my discount eligibility?

I tried Googling for the policy change about upgrades/discounts, but I can't find it. Anyone have a link?

I don't have a link, but I know the policy:

Customers who have had a discount on their account longer than two years will be prompted to reverify their discount whenever they next upgrade (any line on the account). You have 30 days from time of said upgrade to verify, and if you do not said discount will be auto removed by the system.

The system seems to have been pretty good at asking people about this, so I would tell people it isn't worth gambling over, it will ask you for verification.

Lynchman
May 18, 2004

So I've been asked to verify my discount. I'm the main account holder and my fiance is on the account too. Can I use her school for verification or does it have to have my name on it? I'm no longer working for a company that gets a discount, but her school does.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Lynchman posted:

So I've been asked to verify my discount. I'm the main account holder and my fiance is on the account too. Can I use her school for verification or does it have to have my name on it? I'm no longer working for a company that gets a discount, but her school does.

Must be your name. You can check if your current company has a discount, if not join the car situation union or AAA for a 10% discount.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I just got my Galaxy Nexus extended battery from Sprint. Should I have to do anything like wiping battery stats or will the phone figure it all out on its own?

Lynchman
May 18, 2004

Giblet posted:

Must be your name. You can check if your current company has a discount, if not join the car situation union or AAA for a 10% discount.

Man, that stinks. I work for a very small business so no discounts. Wish I would have asked that before signing up for another two years(iPhone 5). My fiance works for a high school and gets 20%.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Transfer of liability? Shouldn't cost anything or impact upgrade status. It can be a pain in the dick to get done, though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ninmeister posted:

I just got my Galaxy Nexus extended battery from Sprint. Should I have to do anything like wiping battery stats or will the phone figure it all out on its own?

Battery stats are automatically wiped on boot anyway, so you should be good to go.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Kreeblah posted:

Battery stats are automatically wiped on boot anyway, so you should be good to go.

Well how about that! Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lynchman posted:

Man, that stinks. I work for a very small business so no discounts. Wish I would have asked that before signing up for another two years(iPhone 5). My fiance works for a high school and gets 20%.

If you have the same last name they sometimes overlook it. I would transfer liability to her name, it's honestly really easy to do, especially in store.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Fiances generally don't share the same last name.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Way to ruin my solution dammit.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

LTE spotted in the Chicagoland area. Looks like two towers in Naperville are up and running. First location I found was near 95th and IL-59, the other is IL-59 and North Aurora. Pretty great speeds too.

Hopefully this means the abysmal 3G service and lack of 4G service (WiMax or LTE) in my apartment complex three blocks away will be soon rectified.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

td4guy posted:

Depends on where they live :banjo:.

I know there were others talking about not jumping on the free extended battery offer for their GNex on Sprint. I got mine and its great. Jump on it. I keep hearing that they will run out but, how long has it been going on and they are still sending them out?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone know why my computer isn't recognizing my Evo3d for QPST / PRL flashing reasons? I got it to work easily in the summer, but this time it just won't show up.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Does anyone use a screen protector on their phone? Got one on my GS3 and it's pretty annoying because it's starting to bubble. Will it be ok without it?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

thisdude23 posted:

Does anyone use a screen protector on their phone? Got one on my GS3 and it's pretty annoying because it's starting to bubble. Will it be ok without it?

There's no definitive answer to this question. My opinion is that you can either keep the protector on and hate it, or you can leave your phone naked, risk it getting scratched (it probably won't) and be happy with it. A scratch will lower your resale value but it won't make your phone unusable.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've never had a screen protector on my NS4G and the only scratches I have are the kind you can't feel (even with a fingernail) and you need to have a bright light to even see them.

There's only two really tiny ones.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've never had a screen protector on my NS4G and the only scratches I have are the kind you can't feel (even with a fingernail) and you need to have a bright light to even see them.

There's only two really tiny ones.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There's no definitive answer to this question. My opinion is that you can either keep the protector on and hate it, or you can leave your phone naked, risk it getting scratched (it probably won't) and be happy with it. A scratch will lower your resale value but it won't make your phone unusable.

I probably won't resale it until the value gets down to around $150 (so likes in 2 years). If it bubbles up again I'll probably just peel it off.

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try
I love the new specs on the upcoming Note II but am apprehensive about using a PHABLET - is it going to be as terrible as I imagine or will it not be a big deal. Anyone else holding their breath for this one?

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

Ouija posted:

I love the new specs on the upcoming Note II but am apprehensive about using a PHABLET - is it going to be as terrible as I imagine or will it not be a big deal. Anyone else holding their breath for this one?

Yeah myself and another line on my account are waiting for the Note 2. At this point we are just waiting for preorders to open up or something.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
I too am ready to welcome our phablet overlord.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

thisdude23 posted:

I probably won't resale it until the value gets down to around $150 (so likes in 2 years). If it bubbles up again I'll probably just peel it off.

Keep the protector, and keep that thing in a case. The outer plastic is a bit soft (mine has a nice chunk missing from a minor drop), and my screen got scratched from living in my pocket/on my desk.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thisdude23 posted:

Personally it's all about how you put it on for a screen protector (both normal ones and "high end" ones like Zagg). In my experience I put a screen protector on my phones, usually the Otterbox commuter one actually, and it very rarely bubbles, peels, etc. it just stays there. My S3 specifically is like this, you can barely notice the screen protector is there at all.

You have to be picky when you put it on, if there is dust under the screen immediately, get scotch tape and use that to remove it, because it will only get worse. For normal screen protectors, that is my secret. I don't think Zagg and the like really offer anything extra to justify their cost.

Now, I do probably an average of 5 screen protectors per day, so I probably am pickier about it, and sadly am over trained on what is not a skill that will help me in other areas of the world.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
There are internet rumors that the Galaxy S3 is going to be $50 on Black Friday? Any info on that? My upgrade is October 1st, but I am wondering if I have enough to self control to wait 2 more months to save $150.

Source: http://phandroid.com/2012/09/27/sprints-samsung-galaxy-s3-will-be-50-on-black-friday/

mrglynis
Mar 10, 2009

ninmeister posted:

Depends on where they live :banjo:.

I know there were others talking about not jumping on the free extended battery offer for their GNex on Sprint. I got mine and its great. Jump on it. I keep hearing that they will run out but, how long has it been going on and they are still sending them out?

Is there a way to get the free extended battery if I bought my phone in the store?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Has anyone else been experiencing trouble with the Wallet app and making purchases with NFC?

Out of the blue it started declining (the cards themselves worked) and after resetting the app, attempting to add cards gives me a message saying that my account is locked and to contact support.

So far, support has been helpful in the same sense that someone saying "OK, BREEEEATHE" is helpful. That is to say, I've told them in detail what I have tried, and they just send me the same ol' poo poo. They told me there's an update to the app in the market, I tell them there isn't nor is it showing on my PC, even when I use an incognito window to look at the market listing for it. So they reply with instructions on how to check in the market on my phone as though it wasn't the first place I checked :ughh:

So I sent them a picture of my cat. Who knows, maybe it'll help.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Has anyone else been experiencing trouble with the Wallet app and making purchases with NFC?

Out of the blue it started declining (the cards themselves worked) and after resetting the app, attempting to add cards gives me a message saying that my account is locked and to contact support.

So far, support has been helpful in the same sense that someone saying "OK, BREEEEATHE" is helpful. That is to say, I've told them in detail what I have tried, and they just send me the same ol' poo poo. They told me there's an update to the app in the market, I tell them there isn't nor is it showing on my PC, even when I use an incognito window to look at the market listing for it. So they reply with instructions on how to check in the market on my phone as though it wasn't the first place I checked :ughh:

So I sent them a picture of my cat. Who knows, maybe it'll help.

The best part about this entire situation is the random cat image.

This sounds like the problem people were having with Wallet before where it wouldn't work if you did a factory reset and you had to call support.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

The best part about this entire situation is the random cat image.

This sounds like the problem people were having with Wallet before where it wouldn't work if you did a factory reset and you had to call support.

He's not a random cat, he's my cat. :colbert:

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Oh this Google Wallet poo poo had better not hit me. I left my card across town and was going to just use Wallet until I get it back. I haven't used it since completely reflashing my phone back to stock, no clue if it still works. Guess I'll find out!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

He's not a random cat, he's my cat. :colbert:

Well, it is a nice one. May he help you get your problem solved!

DanAdamKOF posted:

Oh this Google Wallet poo poo had better not hit me. I left my card across town and was going to just use Wallet until I get it back. I haven't used it since completely reflashing my phone back to stock, no clue if it still works. Guess I'll find out!

I've never heard it be random like this, though. What I have heard is when it happened before, it had to do with Secure Element and you need to have Money Network or Google do a master reset. It has to do with your phone itself, not your account, so you'd need your IMEI / MEID number.

An expensive way to fix it is to buy a new phone, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone know why my computer isn't recognizing my Evo3d for QPST / PRL flashing reasons? I got it to work easily in the summer, but this time it just won't show up.

Finally got it to recognize after a million unpluggings, and I've flashed over to Verizon for now. We'll see how long it takes to get a boot, if it even happens.

Looks like I should return the never-working Airrave, since there's no point to having it - I get better reception in my apartment from Verizon than the airrave.