Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

travisray2004 posted:

ugh I've lost all faith in BMW. They continue to get uglier and less "ultimate driving machine." Apart from the A7, Audi is putting out way nicer models.

Hey now, that 1 series GT is basically identical in concept and execution to the Audi A3, except it's a Mini instead of a Golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So a buddy and me got to talking at work and he let me in on a weird fact.

You can buy a brand new Dodge 1500 with a 5.7L and 3.92 axle with LSD for under
24 thousand dollars. Making this I think the cheapest V8 RWD car you can buy.
Heres one I built http://www.ramtrucks.com/hostc/bmo/CUT201213DS1L61A/2TA/summary.do

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

travisray2004 posted:

ugh I've lost all faith in BMW. They continue to get uglier and less "ultimate driving machine." Apart from the A7, Audi is putting out way nicer models.

Apart from the A7? Which BMW do you think competes with the A7 and is better?

If anything, it seems like the A7 is the *best* example of Audi putting out nicer models...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Steve French posted:

If anything, it seems like the A7 is the *best* example of Audi putting out nicer models...

I think the A7 is completely hideous, I've seen several on the road recently and they just look strange.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Weinertron posted:

I think the A7 is completely hideous, I've seen several on the road recently and they just look strange.

But have you seen the 5 series GT?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Heres one I built http://www.ramtrucks.com/hostc/bmo/CUT201213DS1L61A/2TA/summary.do

I don't think a Ram 1500 qualifies as a "car".

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Bovril Delight posted:

I don't think a Ram 1500 qualifies as a "car".

Wheeled object.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's also kind of a no-brainer. Base engines in trucks are V6s that would be out of place in all but the largest cars, and V8s are common options, even when the rest of the truck is as close to poverty-spec as is still possible to get.

A car with equivalent amenities is going to be some form of econobox with a four cylinder; any car with a V8 these days is not targeted at the "cheapest possible X" market.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

A car with equivalent amenities is going to be some form of econobox with a four cylinder; any car with a V8 these days is not targeted at the "cheapest possible X" market.

Almost as if the V8 engine itself doesn't cost drastically more than an I4, and that the expense is because engine choice is useful price discrimination (i.e. let people who want to or are able to pay more pay more).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

Yeah, but with a 5,000 lb curb weight, 70/30 weight split and 4-speed auto it's not exactly going to be blowing the doors off of anything.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Weinertron posted:

Yeah excuse me while I vomit...

and gouge out my eyes

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, but with a 5,000 lb curb weight, 70/30 weight split and 4-speed auto it's not exactly going to be blowing the doors off of anything.

The one in that link seems to be a V6. If you click one of the V8 options it comes with a 6 speed auto.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Almost as if the V8 engine itself doesn't cost drastically more than an I4, and that the expense is because engine choice is useful price discrimination (i.e. let people who want to or are able to pay more pay more).

Have you not noticed that nearly every car on the market, with any engine, below $25,000 new, is front-wheel-drive and thus a terrible candidate for a large, heavy engine? Below that Ram's $24k price point, there are only two cars that I can find where you even have the option of a V8, and that's the Camaro and the Mustang (though you'd need to be at about $30k to get the two extra cylinders).

It's not price discrimination, it's that you have to design the car around the engine(s) offered in the car. Aside from a few nutjobs here, perhaps, nobody would actually want a FWD 1UZ-powered Corolla, or LS3-powered Cruze, and the design compromises needed to make it even viable would make the bread-and-butter 4cyl versions considerably worse.

Trucks get away with it because nobody really wants a truck that's designed to be as good as it could be around only a V6; fullsizes outsell what's left of the 'small' truck market by a long shot, and calling a modern Tacoma small is a big stretch.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Couple years back a goon made a thread about buying an F350 short bed and manual transmission for like 16k brand new. Not a typical price, but the Dodge truck is a ripoff at 24k.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nitrox posted:

Couple years back a goon made a thread about buying an F350 short bed and manual transmission for like 16k brand new. Not a typical price, but the Dodge truck is a ripoff at 24k.

Yeah, if Ford is selling a truck that MSRPs for $30k at $16k, then yeah I guess that's a better deal than buying a Dodge that MSRPs at $25k for $25k. Glad we didn't fall for that one huh. :wtc:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
If I didnt have the V8 + Six Spreed in the build thats what I ment, Sorry. My buddies point was that in his opinion it would beat on v6 Mustangs and for 5 grand more you can bolt a blower on it and have a monster of a truck for effectively under 30 grand.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Preoptopus posted:

My buddies point was that in his opinion it would beat on v6 Mustangs

In what context is he meaning?

I doubt that's true for performance even in a straight line (isn't the V6 Mustang somewhat of a monster these days) and it certainly isn't for anything involving corners or stopping.

I'm sure it would beat on the car for towing a trailer, or hauling furniture or whatever but then that's is (or at least was) the entire point of a pickup truck.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Have you not noticed that nearly every car on the market, with any engine, below $25,000 new, is front-wheel-drive and thus a terrible candidate for a large, heavy engine? Below that Ram's $24k price point, there are only two cars that I can find where you even have the option of a V8, and that's the Camaro and the Mustang (though you'd need to be at about $30k to get the two extra cylinders).

I don't know that we're disagreeing. In cars where a V8 is an option, it costs not what the difference in engine costs the manufacturer, but what the manufacturer compromises what V8 buyers would be willing to pay with their opportunity to profit.

Price discrimination is basically letting people who want to pay more pay more while people who want to pay less can pay less. Different options, different models, and different brands are all part of that strategy of having what the customer wants, while attempting to balance it with economies of scale and that it might be cheaper to manufacture 10,000 V8 Challengers than 5,000 V6 Challengers and 5,000 V8 Challengers.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You used to be able to option the V8 and 6 speed in a base model Commodore (with wind up windows and steel wheels) but since then its been shifted up to only the more expensive models.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Steve French posted:

I don't like 4 door coupes to begin with so there's that but I'd say the 6 GT is more attractive. The front of the A7 is very nice but that rear overhang is horrible.

E: My bad; 6 series Gran Coupe.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 28, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

travisray2004 posted:

I don't like 4 door coupes to begin with so there's that but I'd say the 6 GT is more attractive. The front of the A7 is very nice but that rear overhang is horrible.

Eh, the overhangs are horrible on pretty much every Audi. That's where the engine lives.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Preoptopus posted:

I got my 05 Ram Daytona new for $23,500, but that was a huge discount on the sticker. A Hemi regular cab 4x2 with a 3.92 absolutely screams in a straight line, but the wheelhop around corners is....unnerving.

If you like drag racing, it's basically a 2 1/2 ton 13 second machine, which can be hilarious.

Preoptopus posted:

If I didnt have the V8 + Six Spreed in the build thats what I ment, Sorry. My buddies point was that in his opinion it would beat on v6 Mustangs and for 5 grand more you can bolt a blower on it and have a monster of a truck for effectively under 30 grand.

Exactly. They are way loving faster in a straight line than people expect. I suspect mine will only go 100-110mph, but goddamn the 20-60 roll is loving scary.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 28, 2012

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

VikingSkull posted:

I got my 05 Ram Daytona new for $23,500, but that was a huge discount on the sticker. A Hemi regular cab 4x2 with a 3.92 absolutely screams in a straight line, but the wheelhop around corners is....unnerving.

If you like drag racing, it's basically a 2 1/2 ton 13 second machine, which can be hilarious.

You would be best buds with this guy in my shop.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm getting a supercharger for mine eventually. 5,000 pounds, big gear out back and 600hp or so should be cartoonish enough for me to get some sport truck recognition in AI.

There's Rams running 10s and 11s out in the wild, I know AI hates trucks but a 5,000 pound anything that fast is AI as gently caress, IMO.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
My pops said he stopped and talked to someone in town that owns one of these:
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2011_Snyder_SD600c_134235598

Said that he's too nervous to take it out on the highway and when he took it out on some hillier backroads he got 40-45mpg; otherwise it's advertised at 70mpg.

I think I'd buy a used turbo diesel and not wonder if I'll make it out alive.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Gotta say I love the new GTI although I'm curious what changes will be made to bring it downmarket for us here in the US. I'll shamelessly channel Clarkson and add that the GTI really is the perfect car for everyday use. I can't think of any other car that strikes as good of a balance between being fun to drive, practical, and comfortable (especially with the Autobahn/leather package) all while being understated. Admittedly I'm a bit biased since I have a Mk6 GTI, but whenever I feel a bit jealous of the Focus ST for being a better handler or the MS3 for being a bit faster I come back to the GTI satisfied that none of its competitors do as good of a job of minimizing compromises in other areas.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

D C posted:

Yeah excuse me while I vomit...

and gouge out my eyes

I would do some shameful things for an S7.

Really just some terrible, vile things.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I like the A7. To me it looks awkward, but different enough to be making a statement.
It makes enough homage to the R8 to overcome some of the weirdness.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Pretty much every single one of Audis line up is at the least decent right now which is something to be said, and when they look good they look very good.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Last time I went to the drag strip there were quite a few of those dodges running various levels of time with various modifications. Some were fast indeed.

This is Texas though where I have seen more than one convertible pickup. And not a ssr.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

Gotta say I love the new GTI although I'm curious what changes will be made to bring it downmarket for us here in the US. I'll shamelessly channel Clarkson and add that the GTI really is the perfect car for everyday use. I can't think of any other car that strikes as good of a balance between being fun to drive, practical, and comfortable (especially with the Autobahn/leather package) all while being understated. Admittedly I'm a bit biased since I have a Mk6 GTI, but whenever I feel a bit jealous of the Focus ST for being a better handler or the MS3 for being a bit faster I come back to the GTI satisfied that none of its competitors do as good of a job of minimizing compromises in other areas.

I was going to post my whole thing about VW's NA strategy YET AGAIN but I am lazy and so I'll just say that VW will absolutely not be decontenting the next gen Golf or GTI for the US market in the same way they decontented the Jetta.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cream_Filling posted:

It's not the quality. It's the styling they hate. Especially that giant center-mount speedometer.

This. And the stupid loving toggle switches which feel cheap and are useless.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The center-mounted speedo is the only reason I don't own a Mini. gently caress cars that do that stupid poo poo.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sbaldrick posted:

The center-mounted speedo is the only reason I don't own a Mini. gently caress cars that do that stupid poo poo.

I know at least on the earlier generation of the new ones, if you got nav you got the speedo relocated to a pod right above the steering wheel.

edit: like this one.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 28, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CornHolio posted:

I know at least on the earlier generation of the new ones, if you got nav you got the speedo relocated to a pod right above the steering wheel.

edit: like this one.

Yeah but nowadays, if you get nav, the nav screen is located in the middle of the giant speedo.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah but nowadays, if you get nav, the nav screen is located in the middle of the giant speedo.

I didn't mind the center-mounted speedo in our '03, but it was easy to read at a glance. Between the glare, tiny font and tiny amount of visible needle, that doesn't seem to be the case with the newer ones. What the hell, Mini?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I didn't mind the center-mounted speedo in our '03, but it was easy to read at a glance. Between the glare, tiny font and tiny amount of visible needle, that doesn't seem to be the case with the newer ones. What the hell, Mini?

I just have the speedo set on the tac. I never use the center mounted one.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

sbaldrick posted:

The Countryman All4 is a pretty nice car, and a good size for a family of 3 or 4, but that loving interior... I didn't mind the front seat but the back seats were awful and the design seems to be deliberately kitschy at the cost of ergonomics.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Aurune posted:

I just have the speedo set on the tac. I never use the center mounted one.

I actually forget that I have the huge-rear end center one sometimes since I have a digital speed readout on the tac. The only major gripe I have about my Mini's interior is that I can't easily put the windows up or down if I have a large drink in the cupholders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was going to post my whole thing about VW's NA strategy YET AGAIN but I am lazy and so I'll just say that VW will absolutely not be decontenting the next gen Golf or GTI for the US market in the same way they decontented the Jetta.

I dunno, they definitely "decontented" the current MK6, previous MK5s, etc. I can definitely see things like LED tails getting omitted again.