Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I just use am't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

^^^^I believe it's actually 'amn't', if you want to be a bitch about it. That is somehow still active in my grammar, god knows why.

Yeah, it's pretty standard in most modern generative syntax : it's basically just a historical accident and agreement being fiddly. I could give you a real answer but it would be long and boring and require lots of reading. Basically, it's just English being dumb. (Most languages are dumb.)

I have no clue what prescriptivists think ; they're jerks.

(Still waiting on what I can do about that cop trying to take my cane. No, seriously, I need it to not fall down, this isn't cool.)

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Xiahou Dun posted:

(Still waiting on what I can do about that cop trying to take my cane. No, seriously, I need it to not fall down, this isn't cool.)

Maybe a dumb question but have you tried the legal thread? I imagine that the proper course of action depends heavily on where you are and what local laws say.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I believe it was originally "ain't", but then it got thrown out during an English language purification period.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ladron posted:

I believe it was originally "ain't", but then it got thrown out during an English language purification period.

It's actually from 'haven't' and then some complicated poo poo happened and it's now an out-right negator in the overt syntax. But 'ain't' has kind of always been reviled. The 'aren't I?' thing is more general. And any answer that doesn't require a couple years of study is a very well-dressed Because It Is. Sorry, I know that's bullshit, but it's loving complicated.

And I'll take it to the legal thread. I was kind of hoping for more general stuff. O well.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

N. Senada posted:

How should I feel about Putin? I was under the impression he was not a too great a dude, but after overhearing a conversation about him I realized I don't really know anything.

You should feel that he is essentially a dictator who does a lot of bad things, but mostly you should feel that he is an awesome dude because of his amazing PR machine: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/09/vladimir-putin-action-man/100147/

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
Thank you.

Agraya fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 27, 2012

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

ladron posted:

The Online Etymology Dictionary backs you up on this - it was a contraction of "am not," but fell out of favor when the contraction began being applied to "are not," "is not," and even "have not."

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Baron Bifford posted:

I have a Motorola Android phone that is very unstable. Every few days I run into a crash that requires me to reboot by removing the battery. Every day there is some sort of lesser freeze. I haven't encountered a system this unstable since Windows 95. Is it just my phone or is this common among Android phones?

I get this poo poo too. I thought it was an app thing. Mine is only a year old, an LG optimus V. I asked the android thread a while ago and they told me to factory reset it. Didn't help. Now I just bitch a lot and reboot it every other day or three. :argh:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I get this poo poo too. I thought it was an app thing. Mine is only a year old, an LG optimus V. I asked the android thread a while ago and they told me to factory reset it. Didn't help. Now I just bitch a lot and reboot it every other day or three. :argh:
LG's Android phones are notoriously terrible (even compared to other Android phones) and on top of that the Optimus V is a budget device, so support from them might as well be non-existent. The owner of my company (a cheapass) has one and sometimes it thinks it can't get a signal and gets really hot and runs down the battery. If you want to trigger some PTSD, go in the phone thread and ask if you should buy an LG G2X.

That other guy did post in the phone thread and I gave him what I hope is some helpful information. :shrug:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Eggplant Wizard posted:

As has been said, LG phones are objectively god awful. Their best (or rather, least worst) phone was the G2X and even that had issues with slowness, buggy software and hardware issues but most of that could be sorted via root. Really, do yourself a favour, ditch the LG and get something like the Huawei G300 which is actually a good phone at a similar price.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Baron Bifford posted:

I have a Motorola Android phone that is very unstable. Every few days I run into a crash that requires me to reboot by removing the battery. Every day there is some sort of lesser freeze. I haven't encountered a system this unstable since Windows 95. Is it just my phone or is this common among Android phones?

My LG Doubleplay was fine for about four months before it got hung up on a Web page and I had to remove the battery. Now it gets hung up on Web searches and sometimes on YouTube videos, but at least it now has the ability to reboot itself when it crashes. And last weekend I found that it has a safe mode (which disables downloaded apps). Still... :/

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've been reading some old issues of Phantom Stranger. It seems in the old days the Stranger was closer to a traditional hero and directly intervened in crises. At what point did he become forbidden from interfering directly and had to advise (or manipulate) other heroes?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think when his series ended in the 70s (76?) and was re-launched in the 80s there was basically some tinkering done. Gaiman's take on him during the Books of Magic was pretty much where the re-invention starts I think.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think the change started in the second series, and Saga of the Swamp Thing. In a lot of the stories, he doesn't have a dominant, take-charge attitude. He throws a lot of advice and the occasional spell, but he generally lets people do as they choose.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Could someone point me to ethical guidelines that cover print journalists?

Specifically, I'm interested in the ethics of a journalist reporting on an event while at home, watching the event being broadcast on television instead of attending the event in person.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Will an antenna I bought for a 802.11g wireless card 4 years ago work with a newer 802.11n dongle? I mean, it'll physically plug in, but is the antenna sensitive to the appropriate frequencies?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Could someone point me to ethical guidelines that cover print journalists?

Specifically, I'm interested in the ethics of a journalist reporting on an event while at home, watching the event being broadcast on television instead of attending the event in person.

Do you have a specific question or situation in mind? If I were covering something secondhand like that I would have to be very conscious about attributing everything to the original source, same as reporting on a police statement, political speech, etc. as opposed to reporting it as fact without being able to independently verify.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

BobTheCow posted:

Do you have a specific question or situation in mind? If I were covering something secondhand like that I would have to be very conscious about attributing everything to the original source, same as reporting on a police statement, political speech, etc. as opposed to reporting it as fact without being able to independently verify.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

In this particular case, the events covered (city council meetings) are free and open to the public, but the reporter is never in attendance -- I'm at all the meetings, know the reporter, and would easily recognize her if she was in the audience (sometimes there are only 2 or 3 of us in the gallery).

Since the articles written contain statements made by participants during the meeting, it's obvious the reporter is watching the local cable station's television coverage (they are carried live and in their entirety), but the articles never indicate that the reporter was not actually present at the meetings.

I'm just wondering what her obligatons are, if any, to either attend the meetings or disclose that she wasn't actually present at them. These are bi-weekly meetings and I haven't seen the reporter at a single one this year.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 28, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There is no obligation to disclose not being physically present. Most papers don't even consider it relevant at all.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
You can't expect a reporter to be at the location of all the news they cover; in many cases that's impossible. In this case, it's not only possible, but she never does it, but unless that's impacting the accuracy (rather than quality) of her reporting, it doesn't seem to be an issue. The only time I could picture this being an issue is if the city in the dateline isn't accurate, since that's the location the reporter files from, rather than the location of the news being covered. Someone in Paris writing for a Paris paper about 9/11 need not have been in New York that day, and would use Paris in their dateline.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
It's recently been a few Jewish holidays where I know it's not okay for them to come to work. Is it considered a paid holiday at most employers? Or is it a situation where the people who take it off have to take a vacation day or a sick day to celebrate/consider life. No Jewish folk at my place of employment so just curious.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

LG's Android phones are notoriously terrible (even compared to other Android phones) and on top of that the Optimus V is a budget device, so support from them might as well be non-existent. The owner of my company (a cheapass) has one and sometimes it thinks it can't get a signal and gets really hot and runs down the battery.

I have an Optimus V and it's solid as a rock. I've had it for close to a year and a half now and it's still working great for me. v:shobon:v

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

OlyMike posted:

It's recently been a few Jewish holidays where I know it's not okay for them to come to work. Is it considered a paid holiday at most employers? Or is it a situation where the people who take it off have to take a vacation day or a sick day to celebrate/consider life. No Jewish folk at my place of employment so just curious.
The traditional deal, spoken or unspoken, is that Jews get their holidays and Saturday's off in exchange for working on Christmas, Easter, and Sunday's.

The US congress resolves the problem by just taking all of the Jewish and Christian holidays off.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

alright this is a long shot, and I've been trying to google it for an hour.

In San Diego, there is one particular voice over actor for practically all the radio commercials on 91x. His voice is super smarmy, and I don't know how he ever got the job. He does a majority of the local commercial work, as well as the Mandated Mexican public service ads required when you broadcast out of Mexico.

I don't know how to describe his voice, besides to say that it kind of sounds like a super douchey black dude who unnecessarily stretches out his syllables and emphasizes weird parts of words. I don't know if he's really black or not.

God I swear if you listened to 91x or 949 you'd know exactly who I was talking about. Please help me find this guy's name. I'd love to attach a face to focus my hate on.

Edit: The first audio clip on this terrible lovely article has him talking at the beginning, this is the only sample I could find http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/mar/11/public-service-spots-have-radio-listeners/

reposting this in hopes that someone else sees it

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Can anyone help me find some resources/advice on a sort of "intervention" on unhealthy eating and sedentary habits?

Basically, two members of my family are really unhealthy in their diets and barely get any physical activity and are generally sedentary. I mean I'm not like on an atkins diet and appalled that they eat bread. They are very un-nutritional and in-active and I'm worried about their health.

So. Is there a thread to take this to? Is there a good writeup online somewhere? Is there a National Council on Interventions for Healthier Eating Habits (NCIHEH) that I can turn to?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

alnilam posted:

Can anyone help me find some resources/advice on a sort of "intervention" on unhealthy eating and sedentary habits?

Basically, two members of my family are really unhealthy in their diets and barely get any physical activity and are generally sedentary. I mean I'm not like on an atkins diet and appalled that they eat bread. They are very un-nutritional and in-active and I'm worried about their health.

So. Is there a thread to take this to? Is there a good writeup online somewhere? Is there a National Council on Interventions for Healthier Eating Habits (NCIHEH) that I can turn to?
There's nothing "official" like what you're talking about, but there are thousands of websites, pamphlets, every stream of every form of media telling people to eat better.

Could you be more specific in your examples though? Most people are generally sedentary. Do they stay in bed all day and eat McDonald's for every meal? You mentioned it wasn't just you having crazy high standards, but it seems a very drastic plan.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

reposting this in hopes that someone else sees it

Does this local radio station have a website? If so, they may have an FAQ or possibly a contact us link. Follow that link, and ask them. It would be very helpful if you had a current radio commercial that they could reference. A little social engineering might get you his name "That guy has such a distinctive voice, I'd love to put a name to it."

I would recommend keeping your irrational hatred out of any of the communications.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Does this local radio station have a website? If so, they may have an FAQ or possibly a contact us link. Follow that link, and ask them. It would be very helpful if you had a current radio commercial that they could reference. A little social engineering might get you his name "That guy has such a distinctive voice, I'd love to put a name to it."

I would recommend keeping your irrational hatred out of any of the communications.

Adding to this, most stations are part of a conglomerate -or have an umbrella company that owns it and other tv, radio stations, and print publications in the region. That company is probably the one that sells ads to people and that voice talent is someone that works for them. The station's web site should have a link on it somewhere to its actual owner.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

alnilam posted:

The general diet and exercise megathread in YLLS has a bunch of good information in it. That said, as worried as you may be, few people take the advice they don't want to hear - especially when it comes to diet and exercise.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Is it generally necessary to wash new clothes before wearing them?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Well, you don't know who else may have tried them on in the store before you got to them. Also, I find washing them generally softens them up and makes them more comfortable for the first wearing.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Raimundus posted:

Is it generally necessary to wash new clothes before wearing them?
Its a good idea considering you don't know what those clothes have come in contact with. You can get lice from infested clothing, for example, but I don't know if someone with lice simply trying on a shirt/pants/whatever is enough to spread it.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
The thing is, I kind of like the way some clothes feel before they've been washed. This fleece jacket I just bought is softer than anything I own and fits just right. I don't know how to preserve that in the washing machine.

But if it's a health issue, I guess I'll just wash them.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Raimundus posted:

The thing is, I kind of like the way some clothes feel before they've been washed. This fleece jacket I just bought is softer than anything I own and fits just right. I don't know how to preserve that in the washing machine.

You could always hand wash it instead of sending it through a machine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

Will an antenna I bought for a 802.11g wireless card 4 years ago work with a newer 802.11n dongle? I mean, it'll physically plug in, but is the antenna sensitive to the appropriate frequencies?

It will work just fine. Basic Wifi antennas are just wires wrapped in plastic.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It might not properly handle 5 ghz transmission for N though; and definitely not the N multi-in/multi-out mode.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

CzarChasm posted:

I've asked their promotions/marketing director, seeming only curious because he was in everything. So hopefully he gets back to me

simokon
Nov 6, 2009

Raimundus posted:

In my experience, it's the dryer that really wrecks the texture of fleece. Put it in the washing machine, but hang it up to dry. It'll stay soft for quite a while that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Raimundus posted:

One word: bedbugs.