Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Irisi posted:

That's the thing, I can get along perfectly well with most types of inoffensive comedy, old or otherwise. Outnumbered is fine, Dads Army doesn't make me blink, I actually do love The Good Life. But Miranda makes me snarl, and I don't quite understand why.

The half hearted way she oafishly lazes out her luke-warm attempts at comedy with as much effort as a damp fart whilst having the entire country go loving crazy for it?

That's what makes me snarl at her.

I saw umpteen hilarious yet desperately struggling comedians at the fringe this year while she prances about on TV reminding me that the majority of people in this country are tasteless idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This current series of QI might be my favourite yet. It's just been on a roll for me. I love it when Stephen Fry gets the giggles, and the guests just seem to be setting him off quite a bit so far.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kin posted:

The half hearted way she oafishly lazes out her luke-warm attempts at comedy with as much effort as a damp fart whilst having the entire country go loving crazy for it?

That's what makes me snarl at her.

I saw umpteen hilarious yet desperately struggling comedians at the fringe this year while she prances about on TV reminding me that the majority of people in this country are tasteless idiots.

Yeah, I was at the Fringe too, and just ended up thinking "How do people like Michael McIntyre and Miranda Hart have spots on national TV and some of these people don't?!"

One of my favourite up-and-coming comedians is Nick Helm. He's had some spots on Live at the Electric, and he's utterly brilliant. His persona just works so well.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Josie Long is intensely annoying and I'm glad we can all admit that now in this thread without boatloads of comments about her being 'so adorable'.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I like her :(

I'll concede she isn't very funny though

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Paperhouse posted:

He literally has a book that just has transcripts of his stand-up shows (and footnotes explaining where he got the joke/idea) and it's all hilarious.

In fact his material is quite clearly his strongest asset for me, and he's above and beyond virtually everybody in that regard. Not that I want to turn this thread into a Stewart Lee wankathon, which is quite possible, but he is incredible.

I hope I'm not the only one here who doesn't think Stewart Lee is all that great. I liked Comedy Vehicle ok, it was pretty funny in parts, but I recently watched his stand up and I fell asleep halfway through. I get his kind of humour fine, I just don't think it's amazing like everyone says it is.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm the same way. I mean, he makes me laugh, but people seem to make out like he is the funniest comedian on Earth, when he's just...decent.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

NaDy posted:

I hope I'm not the only one here who doesn't think Stewart Lee is all that great. I liked Comedy Vehicle ok, it was pretty funny in parts, but I recently watched his stand up and I fell asleep halfway through. I get his kind of humour fine, I just don't think it's amazing like everyone says it is.

I find him unbearable. I like some of his stuff, but I couldn't sit through an hour of it.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Its almost as if humour is subjective.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I like Stewart Lee as a person.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Every single discussion about comedy in the history of the internet has always ended up with someone going "It's almost as if humour is subjective".

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Carrier posted:

Its almost as if humour is subjective.

No way man. Anything I think is funny, is funny. If someone else doesn't find it funny then they are weird and have a weird sense of humour.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Hoops posted:

Every single discussion about comedy in the history of the internet has always ended up with someone going "It's almost as if humour is subjective".
The problem is people who expect you to preface every opinion you post with the phrase "In my opinion," even when it's obviously your opinion.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Can everyone gently caress off with the subjective humour thing? We all know that there isn't a golden measure of comedy brilliance but its pretty obvious we can meaningfully discuss the relative merits and flaws of comedians. Unless you actually think that all comedians are equally good and its just your random reaction to them which warrants a different opinion (if you're retarded) then shut up. People can evaluate media and art and if you disagree with someone's evaluation don't just pretend its because humour is totally subjective, thats some really irritating college philosophy level bullshit right there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I was at the Fringe too, and just ended up thinking "How do people like Michael McIntyre and Miranda Hart have spots on national TV and some of these people don't?!"

One of my favourite up-and-coming comedians is Nick Helm. He's had some spots on Live at the Electric, and he's utterly brilliant. His persona just works so well.

His persona of being the biggest goony loving neckbeard around? He did a gig for my Uni, and just hurled abuse and sexual propositions at the audience. For three. drat. hours.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Captain Mediocre posted:

Can everyone gently caress off with the subjective humour thing? We all know that there isn't a golden measure of comedy brilliance but its pretty obvious we can meaningfully discuss the relative merits and flaws of comedians. Unless you actually think that all comedians are equally good and its just your random reaction to them which warrants a different opinion (if you're retarded) then shut up. People can evaluate media and art and if you disagree with someone's evaluation don't just pretend its because humour is totally subjective, thats some really irritating college philosophy level bullshit right there.

Apparently where you went to school and who your parents were are the greatest deciders on if you can find a comedian funny or not, judging by this thread.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I really like Stewart Lee's standup, the one with the 'its political correctness gone mad' routine. loving hilarious.

I also like the now dead American stand up Bill Hicks ( seems to be be free on youtube for whatever reason, maybe its cos hes dead [NWS] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMjNT_dTeB8 ) [/NWS] Probably my all time fave. That live recording of 'sane man' was probably his best work.

You are allowed to like more than one thing you know.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 30, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I find Miranda's aggressively inoffensive nature offensive in and of itself. Art without ambition is contemptible.

If you want to talk about comedians that are wildly popular but also poo poo, take a look at the love for Louis C.K. among our colonial brethren here. They talk about him as if he were the second coming, and from what I've seen it's just more of the same old awful US style stand-up.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't quite understand the hype of Louie C.K's stand up but I really love "Louie". Its not something that makes me laugh out loud every single week but I'm completely glued to my screen when its on.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

His persona of being the biggest goony loving neckbeard around? He did a gig for my Uni, and just hurled abuse and sexual propositions at the audience. For three. drat. hours.
A three hour set? I'm not surprised it was a bit loose. I really like Helm, but he needs time to get away and write new material - his last three shows have been really similar, and unfortunately none of his stuff really works well in just 10 minute spots.

I also wouldn't judge "who should be on tv" by the, being able to put on a decent fringe show. 50 minutes vs 3 hours for a tv series.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Gorn Myson posted:

I don't quite understand the hype of Louie C.K's stand up but I really love "Louie". Its not something that makes me laugh out loud every single week but I'm completely glued to my screen when its on.

Louie is great, the latest episodes with David Lynch were hilarious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Well, part of his persona is antagonizing the crowd. Three hours of it might be a bit long though, yeah.

This is amazing though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7lFzRzMw1w

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

FreakyZoid posted:

I also wouldn't judge "who should be on tv" by the, being able to put on a decent fringe show. 50 minutes vs 3 hours for a tv series.

You mean 50 minutes vs 30 minutes often repeated week after week with minor variations right?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Well, part of his persona is antagonizing the crowd. Three hours of it might be a bit long though, yeah.

This is amazing though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7lFzRzMw1w

"I love you" is great, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YopP_StgjVY but the crowd had turned on by then and it failed terribly.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Gorn Myson posted:

I never really got his stand-up, either. I'd watched a few bits and pieces but had to turn them off. I've recently gotten into Louie, though. I'd watched most of the first series around a year ago and just stopped for some reason until last week. I'm almost finished series 2 and love it.

Last night, I watched his latest stand-up to see if getting the series would help me get his stand-up and I absolutely loved it. Not sure if it's different to the stuff I'd seen before or if it's a Seinfeld type thing where it took me a while to get his humour.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Congratulations guys, you managed to derail the thread so hard nobody even mentioned how completely and utterly amazing The Thick of It was last night.

Whoever shot the slow balloon rise shot needs an award.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
That's only because we've all been posting in The Thick Of It thread.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lord Thiefington posted:

Congratulations guys, you managed to derail the thread so hard nobody even mentioned how completely and utterly amazing The Thick of It was last night.

Whoever shot the slow balloon rise shot needs an award.

It's all going (gone) down here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507221

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"I love you" is great, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YopP_StgjVY but the crowd had turned on by then and it failed terribly.
Why do you say that? That was really funny. Never heard of that guy before so thanks for the linky.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

Why do you say that? That was really funny. Never heard of that guy before so thanks for the linky.

Whoops, meant to say "turned on him". When you have repeated hecklers you ain't going to sway them with that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mickolution posted:

I never really got his stand-up, either. I'd watched a few bits and pieces but had to turn them off. I've recently gotten into Louie, though. I'd watched most of the first series around a year ago and just stopped for some reason until last week. I'm almost finished series 2 and love it.

Last night, I watched his latest stand-up to see if getting the series would help me get his stand-up and I absolutely loved it. Not sure if it's different to the stuff I'd seen before or if it's a Seinfeld type thing where it took me a while to get his humour.

Louie is completely unique in that it's someone's unfiltered thoughts coming through in half hour bursts each week. Sometimes it's funny, other times it plays it completely straight but it's purely Louis CK. It's brilliant television who's only real constraint is limited to when the creative force runs out of ideas. The 3-part episode this season was brilliant.

While I find some of the standup stuff hit-and-miss, the highs are really high.

Plus, there's something admirable about writing a show to go on tour with, doing a year and then never repeating it again because if people have paid to watch him they shouldn't have to see him do the same jokes they've seen on TV or on a DVD. Once that tour is over the show is done for and he sits back down and writes a new set. Given that some comedians make a living dredging up the same poo poo over and over there's something admirable about that.

To end the lovefest, he also says that he puts what he thinks are the strongest jokes he has at that point at the start of the show so he can force himself to write better.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Whoops, meant to say "turned on him". When you have repeated hecklers you ain't going to sway them with that.
I dunno man I really enjoyed that. Him singing his love song then shouting at the guy in the audience and calling him a loving oval office. It was a good bit.

e: but yeah 3 hours of it might be a bit much

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 30, 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Louie is completely unique in that it's someone's unfiltered thoughts coming through in half hour bursts each week. Sometimes it's funny, other times it plays it completely straight but it's purely Louis CK. It's brilliant television who's only real constraint is limited to when the creative force runs out of ideas. The 3-part episode this season was brilliant.

While I find some of the standup stuff hit-and-miss, the highs are really high.

The one I watched was the recent Beacon Theatre show. Any others you'd recommend?

DrVenkman posted:

Plus, there's something admirable about writing a show to go on tour with, doing a year and then never repeating it again because if people have paid to watch him they shouldn't have to see him do the same jokes they've seen on TV or on a DVD. Once that tour is over the show is done for and he sits back down and writes a new set. Given that some comedians make a living dredging up the same poo poo over and over there's something admirable about that.

Don't most comics do that these days? I know some of the bigger acts have been doing the same stuff for years now, but most UK/Ireland acts seem to tour a new show every year. I know it wasn't always that way, but in recent times, what with DVD sales being so big, they pretty much have to.

DrVenkman posted:

To end the lovefest, he also says that he puts what he thinks are the strongest jokes he has at that point at the start of the show so he can force himself to write better.

Yeah, he mentioned that on that insufferably self indulgent Talking Funny show a couple of years back. I did enjoy it because I'm interested in comedy, but so much of it was them slapping each other on the back. Also, Gervais had no right to be there and only was because it was his production company that was making it.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Mickolution posted:

The one I watched was the recent Beacon Theatre show. Any others you'd recommend?
Hilarious is very good

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Nice one, I'll check that one out next.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Mickolution posted:

Don't most comics do that these days? I know some of the bigger acts have been doing the same stuff for years now, but most UK/Ireland acts seem to tour a new show every year. I know it wasn't always that way, but in recent times, what with DVD sales being so big, they pretty much have to.
If you only ever go and see tour shows. But if you go to mixed bill nights, or see them on panel shows and the like, most comedians have a 10 or 20 minute set picked from their existing material.

For example, if you've seen Helm on TV he'll either do a couple of his songs or his jokes - these are taken from his shows (which is a shame in his case, because a lot of what makes his character great is seeing the hyper-agressive macho posturing slowly strip away to his very insecure core, with the show ending on a high when he regains his mojo).

That's also what's so fun about gigs like Set List (which they've just recorded for TV, so there's some relevance for you), you know you're going to see new material.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

FreakyZoid posted:

If you only ever go and see tour shows. But if you go to mixed bill nights, or see them on panel shows and the like, most comedians have a 10 or 20 minute set picked from their existing material.

That's very true, I wasn't thinking of that tbh.

Speaking of those type of shows, I was at one last month and a UK comedian called John Luke Roberts was there. I'd never heard of him before, but he was excellent. One of the best I've seen in a long time and certainly the best of the night. Tony Law was good too, but Roberts was really great. I was worried when he came out that he was going to be a bit too "wacky" for my liking, but he pulled it off really well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

FreakyZoid posted:

For example, if you've seen Helm on TV he'll either do a couple of his songs or his jokes - these are taken from his shows (which is a shame in his case, because a lot of what makes his character great is seeing the hyper-agressive macho posturing slowly strip away to his very insecure core, with the show ending on a high when he regains his mojo).

That just reminds me of one of his best moments on Live at the Electric, when he came onto the stage in trousers that were obviously too long for him, with the button undone and just declared "THESE ARE A 36 MEDIUM. SO NOT ONLY AM I GETTING FATTER, I'M SHRINKING."

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

John Luke Roberts is great - he does a brilliant bit with insult cards. He does a fair amount of writing for panel shows as well if I remember rightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

FreakyZoid posted:

John Luke Roberts is great - he does a brilliant bit with insult cards. He does a fair amount of writing for panel shows as well if I remember rightly.
Yeah he writes the Now Show a lot (which I hate but don't blame him). I have a sort of six-degrees-of-seperation thing with John Luke Roberts, met him a handful of times and he's a nice guy. If you can ever see a Mind-Squeezin' Behemoth show it's just him and his girlfriend messing about and having a laugh but it's really funny.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 30, 2012