Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I just had to take my kitty to the vet for serious vomiting (like, drink a bit of water then puke it out minutes later). I don't let her play with string, and keep my blind pulls hooked up and out of the way, but it looks like she pulled one down and snarfed a bit down. I don't know yet, because I wasn't home at the time, but I did find a bit of the blind pull torn off on the floor after I got home a few minutes ago. She's still there. She seemed fine last night when I got home...

I'm terrified. Somebody please reassure me and tell me everything's going to be okay :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I just had to take my kitty to the vet for serious vomiting (like, drink a bit of water then puke it out minutes later). I don't let her play with string, and keep my blind pulls hooked up and out of the way, but it looks like she pulled one down and snarfed a bit down. I don't know yet, because I wasn't home at the time, but I did find a bit of the blind pull torn off on the floor after I got home a few minutes ago. She's still there. She seemed fine last night when I got home...

I'm terrified. Somebody please reassure me and tell me everything's going to be okay :ohdear:.

Good job getting her to the vet quickly. They will take care of the rest. My friends had a cat get into the sewing supplies and eat some string. Despite having eaten a ton more than yours likely did (15-20 inches at least), taking longer for them to find out what was wrong, and the string being very thin yet strong which could easily cut up things, she was just fine. She was grumpy as hell about having to wear an e-collar after an operation but that's just cats for you.

Is there any way to tell if a cat is sufficiently entertained? Sadie isn't being destructive, is using the liter flawlessly, and is in general pretty chipper, but I am all paranoid about providing for her. I want to make sure she is getting her pie slice of Stimulation like the little charts on the toys say she needs! During the day she will watch birds, play with some toys a bit, but also randomly will just walk into my office, meow at me, and then walk back out after a few pats. Also if I leave the office she will follow me from room to room and meow at me from the bed if I go into the bedroom/bathroom. This is normal "I like you" behavior, not "oh please pay attention to me I am so bored!" behavior, right? I've tried putting a bed or two in the office but she's not interested in staying in there.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Shifty Pony posted:

Good job getting her to the vet quickly. They will take care of the rest. My friends had a cat get into the sewing supplies and eat some string. Despite having eaten a ton more than yours likely did (15-20 inches at least), taking longer for them to find out what was wrong, and the string being very thin yet strong which could easily cut up things, she was just fine. She was grumpy as hell about having to wear an e-collar after an operation but that's just cats for you.

Is there any way to tell if a cat is sufficiently entertained? Sadie isn't being destructive, is using the liter flawlessly, and is in general pretty chipper, but I am all paranoid about providing for her. I want to make sure she is getting her pie slice of Stimulation like the little charts on the toys say she needs! During the day she will watch birds, play with some toys a bit, but also randomly will just walk into my office, meow at me, and then walk back out after a few pats. Also if I leave the office she will follow me from room to room and meow at me from the bed if I go into the bedroom/bathroom. This is normal "I like you" behavior, not "oh please pay attention to me I am so bored!" behavior, right? I've tried putting a bed or two in the office but she's not interested in staying in there.
I was actually going to wait for the scheduled vaccination appointment on Tuesday until I saw her drink water and then puke it up almost immediately. That's...a bad sign. Took me a while to find a vet that could take her today. One told me that I could wait until Monday after I told them her symptoms, so I scratched them off the "go there again" list (I don't have a regular vet yet). I did feel really bad about filling out the financial forms that said "if it's over this amount, call me" and I'm scared I'll have to make a decision based on finances.

I still don't know if she ate string or not, and at this point I don't think she'll be home tonight, but I think she'll be okay. The vet called a bit ago and said that she threw up some of the medication they gave her and got some of it in her lungs, which they say is not good, so we'll see...

As for attention, that seems like normal cat behavior. Cats when I was growing up would do that kind of stuff and they were pretty drat happy.

EDIT: Vet's keeping her overnight because she got some barium in her lungs from their barium swallow but they think she'll be fine. I'll know tomorrow afternoon. They couldn't/wouldn't tell me what's up with her, but something (what? who knows) upset her stomach. THANKS FOR THAT WILDLY INFORMATIVE DIAGNOSIS.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 29, 2012

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there anything inherently wrong about walking your cat on a leash regularly? Like, besides other dogs, as long as they're up to date on vaccines and enjoy it I can't imagine there would be too many problems.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Shnooks posted:

Is there anything inherently wrong about walking your cat on a leash regularly? Like, besides other dogs, as long as they're up to date on vaccines and enjoy it I can't imagine there would be too many problems.

It's fine so long as you use a harness (so the cat won't break it's neck running after something), and you're willing to just follow the cat wherever they want to go. If you try to lead the cat anywhere, it's liable to freak out or just lie down and make you drag/carry it.

Shifty Pony posted:

You can tell based on tail position, type of meow, and body language.

A short, soft meow is jut the equivalent of "hi". A longer, louder meow is usually a request for something (either food, water, cleaner catbox, or attention/play).

A fully upright tail means the cat is happy. An upright tail with the tip curved is more specific and says, "you're what's making me happy." A tail that's flipping back and forth can mean it's either excited about something, or annoyed by something. A tail that's low to the ground and parallel to the floor can indicate worry or stress, though this might also be a part of play.

If the cat is laying down with her paws tucked underneath her (like monorail cat), that means it feels comfortable and happy. If it exposes it's belly, that's an even bigger sign of trust/comfort (although they are liable to still not want their belly rubbed). Laying with their feet not tucked in, but in a sort of pre-pounce position indicates some kind of stress or unease, though this could be as part of play.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 29, 2012

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Rabbit Hill posted:

As of last night, I'm taking care of my brother's girlfriend cat for a year while she and my brother live out of country, and I have never lived with a pet before so I'm a little anxious about what I'm doing. The cat's already had a vet checkup and her health is good, I've been given basic care instructions, basic nutrition info, read the FAQ here, hung out with the cat in her home and found her to be very sweet, and know the cat to be generally very easy-going and low-maintenance....feeling pretty good about that.

She arrived last night, got introduced to her litterbox (which she used in the middle of the night, so she's successfully learned where it is), and has been hiding in various nooks in the house as is normal. However, she hasn't eaten, which I also know is normal for a cat freaked out by a move, but....at what point does a cat not eating become problematic?

Before going to bed last night, I warmed up her food in the microwave and put it right in front of the furniture she was hiding under, and she didn't eat anything during the middle of the night. Before leaving for work this morning, I warmed up some new food and left that in her designated kitchen area where she can smell it, so hopefully I'll come home to see that some of it is eaten. **It's just occurred to me that this is not the food she typically eats, so maybe she just doesn't like it. I'll pick up some of her usual food tonight and see if that works. I'll get some Feliway to see if that helps, too.

My brother and his girlfriend are coming by on Sunday and staying with me for a few days, so I'm sure that if she hasn't eaten by then, they'll know what to do and maybe their presence will comfort her enough that she eats, but is that too long for her to go without food?

Bumping this to say that the cat may have eaten a small amount last nigh, maybe at most 1/4 cup of tuna for cats (the food dish that I put next to her last-night's hiding spot had tell-tale crumbs around it), but spent all this day hiding in a very unlikely place (under the frame of a sofabed -- what the hell, cat), so she hasn't eaten since then. (I found her around 4:30 today after looking -- and majorly stressing out -- all day. My fear was that she had gotten into the basement and trapped in the huge crawlspace down there. I was so worried!)

Is the small bit she ate last night enough to stave off her risk of fatty liver disease?

I'm planning on digging her out of her hiding area and closing her in a bathroom with her litterbox, food, and water (and Feliway) tonight. I know I should have done that the first night she arrived, but my brother insisted she'd be fine in the open house. I'm shutting her in there as much for my peace of mine as for hers, since I've been a nervous wreck worrying about her these last two days. At least this way I'll know she's in a safe place!

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:

jemsy posted:

My cat got outside about 24 hours ago and hasn't returned.

He's found ways of sneaking out before, and I've tried my best to eliminate his chances of escape. Unfortunately, my last roommate was insistent that cats need to go outside as part of some natural want or need, and he encouraged my cat to go out when I wasn't home. I got very mad at him over this. He never loving listened. loving rear end in a top hat.

I wasn't home last night, and my roommate left his bedroom window open while he was in the shower (this is a different roommate). My cat popped the corner of the screen out and left. I've been living in this location for a couple months now, and he has snuck out via a window screen once before (though he came back almost immediately). I keep the windows closed when I'm not home.

When he's snuck out before, he always comes back within a few hours. I live in New Mexico, and I'm fairly close to an arroyo on the edge of town. When I was searching for him earlier, I saw a fox. There are also lots of coyotes.

I live in a quiet little neighborhood, and there are lots of stray cats around here. I just keep spontaneously sobbing. My poor baby. I left a window open with a can of tuna on the windowsill and some lights on. I checked the websites of area shelters and I'll be calling them tomorrow as well as conducting a more thorough search of the surrounding neighborhoods and the arroyo. Perhaps post some flyers? Knock on some neighbors' doors? He is microchipped, so if someone turns him into a shelter, I should receive a phone call.

Anything else I can/should do?

My cat is my child and this loving sucks. I'm currently sitting in the livingroom next to the open window, like a worried parent waiting for their teenager to come home after they broke curfew. :cry:

Setting up a trap tonight. Bought some really smelly tuna that's specifically for cats. Here's hoping he's hiding near home and will come out seeking food! That or I'll likely catch a neighborhood stray. :catstare:

Thanks for all the advice!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Shnooks posted:

Sully gets walked regularly. I figured it'd be a compromise since he was an indoor/outdoor cat or something. He loves going on his walks. He is an absolute tyrant when he doesn't get his walks and constantly wants outside. It was like that before, but its far worse now. :suicide:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I posted about a month ago after I had to put down my little guy, Fatty. I had concerns about our other cat (his sister) becoming lonely and isolated by herself. Just today I went to the humane society and picked out a new friend. He's a year and a half old. 6 months younger and a few pounds smaller than my current cat, Snacksy.
He was so excited to be out of his cage, he gave me lots of kisses and let me pinch his little paws. I carried him around the adoption area as he trilled and purred, he's the handsomest little gentleman.

Here he is trying to escape from prison, and drooling all over himself in the process.
We're picking him up on Monday. Not sure what to call him yet though...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Discospawn posted:

You can tell based on tail position, type of meow, and body language.

A short, soft meow is jut the equivalent of "hi". A longer, louder meow is usually a request for something (either food, water, cleaner catbox, or attention/play).

A fully upright tail means the cat is happy. An upright tail with the tip curved is more specific and says, "you're what's making me happy." A tail that's flipping back and forth can mean it's either excited about something, or annoyed by something. A tail that's low to the ground and parallel to the floor can indicate worry or stress, though this might also be a part of play.

If the cat is laying down with her paws tucked underneath her (like monorail cat), that means it feels comfortable and happy. If it exposes it's belly, that's an even bigger sign of trust/comfort (although they are liable to still not want their belly rubbed). Laying with their feet not tucked in, but in a sort of pre-pounce position indicates some kind of stress or unease, though this could be as part of play.

That's what I figured. She is a bit of a talker but her meows when she comes into the office are just little short meows while she's looking around. When she clearly wants to be pet she's got a much longer and louder meow. The tail is almost always up with a little hook in the end.

She's just not all that interested in interactive playing. She will sort of chase a laser pointer but really just runs after it and then runs past it when it stops. Da Bird was a complete flop, but a feather boa seems to work OK. The thing is she is super lazy about it and just sits there and every now and then bats at it. There is no chasing involve. I have started to find toys on my bed in the morning when I wake up, so I think she's starting to bring overnight "gifts".

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

No, this advice vvvv still applies.

Hissing is like the cat version of small talk, except less friendly. It's part of sizing each other up and figuring out how the relationship is going to work. Older kitty is all "WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE i'm scared mum YEAH YOU BETTER RUN after that laser pointer... YEAH" but eventually she'll figure out the kitten isn't interested in murdering her and it'll all be okay. They may never be kitten pile best friends forever, but after two days it is really hard to say.

I keep on posting and it's not making you feel better but I'll go ahead and keep on doing it. So I wrote up the introductions thing in the OP of this thread, but IRL I have never bothered with it. I usually give newcat/cat who just moved some chilling time, then once it's more or less copacetic, I let the other cats meet it. If someone's getting beaten up, sure I separate them. But if they're just hissing? Hell, that means things are going well! Just hissing is awesome. They usually work it out in a few days.

e: :words: I know. Anyway one more thing. If you separate them every time there is hissing, the hissing will not stop. You need to allow them time to get the hissy stage done before they can move on to "wary sniffing" and/or "grumpy ignoring." Only once the hissing and wary/grumpy period has passed can they figure out their relationship. Honestly with a clearly not super alpha cat (based on how you're describing her behavior) and a kitten, you'll probably have peace within a few days of total exposure. Just let them interact and chill.

It is, but I am just nervous :D

I have no trouble keeping an eye on both of them in my home, it is not very big.

Right now I still have my kitty screened off in a bathroom with the door blocked off by a screen, which I feel bad doing. How long should I wait till I get her out and freely roaming my place?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
You can always swap their places. Put your older kitty in the bathroom and let the new one roam for a couple hours.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Older kitty *hates* being apart from me even for a short time, she howls till I let her out and is rarely more than a few feet from me in my home.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Cosima posted:

Not sure what to call him yet though...

Flufferson McCattington

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.
One last Eew update for now:

She's grooming like crazy to make up for lost time, so every morning she horks up a hairball. I've busted out the shedding comb to help get that under control, and she looooves it.

She's transitioning off the canned a/d to Wellness Core, we're mixing small amounts of the chicken flavor into the a/d each day and gradually increasing.

Her wound has healed fantastically without any dressing - just a dab of neosporin here and there. It's about the size of a pea now, and the skin's healthy and pink.

She's all stubbly in the spots where they shaved her :3

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rabbit Hill posted:

Bumping this to say that the cat may have eaten a small amount last nigh, maybe at most 1/4 cup of tuna for cats (the food dish that I put next to her last-night's hiding spot had tell-tale crumbs around it), but spent all this day hiding in a very unlikely place (under the frame of a sofabed -- what the hell, cat), so she hasn't eaten since then. (I found her around 4:30 today after looking -- and majorly stressing out -- all day. My fear was that she had gotten into the basement and trapped in the huge crawlspace down there. I was so worried!)

Is the small bit she ate last night enough to stave off her risk of fatty liver disease?

I'm planning on digging her out of her hiding area and closing her in a bathroom with her litterbox, food, and water (and Feliway) tonight. I know I should have done that the first night she arrived, but my brother insisted she'd be fine in the open house. I'm shutting her in there as much for my peace of mine as for hers, since I've been a nervous wreck worrying about her these last two days. At least this way I'll know she's in a safe place!

Well, she's not being active so that's in her favor. Not eating much in the first few days is pretty common, it is when the cat doesn't eat at all for three or more days in a row that problems rapidly kick in. What is the recommended feeding amount for the food? You might be shocked at how small a daily serving is.

I would just keep food and water out near where she is hiding and not get her out of her hiding spot if it isn't a dangerous place. She will likely sleep/hide all day and then venture out at night to eat and explore.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 30, 2012

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:

jemsy posted:

Setting up a trap tonight. Bought some really smelly tuna that's specifically for cats. Here's hoping he's hiding near home and will come out seeking food! That or I'll likely catch a neighborhood stray. :catstare:

Thanks for all the advice!

Noah came home! My roommate heard meowing outside, we went out with a flashlight, and another black cat took off running. Mine was meowing and trying to claw back in through the screen he broke through 4 nights ago.

I think he made a kitty friend and wandered the neighborhood. I'm so happy! :3:

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Cosima posted:

Here he is trying to escape from prison, and drooling all over himself in the process.
We're picking him up on Monday. Not sure what to call him yet though...

Tribble.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

jemsy posted:

Noah came home! My roommate heard meowing outside, we went out with a flashlight, and another black cat took off running. Mine was meowing and trying to claw back in through the screen he broke through 4 nights ago.

Glad he found his way home. :) I hope your tore you roommate a new rear end in a top hat though.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

jemsy posted:

Noah came home!

:D Yaaay!

Shifty Pony: You have a cat. It sounds like a happy well adjusted lazy bum. One of mine is like that, he like to watch the lazer and the bird but he isn't really chasing them. I ended up getting a ball-in-a-circle track toy and it's the only thing I've actually seen him play with, YMMV.

He's mostly happy just snuggling or sitting somewhere high up. Also an adult cat may just be more mellow than the kittens a lot of people in PI have an talk about. Max's energy level plummeted over the four years I've had her. She used to pounce on everything that twitched. Now she will go for toys and playtime but otherwise she's mostly a happy lump.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Diogines posted:

It is, but I am just nervous :D

I have no trouble keeping an eye on both of them in my home, it is not very big.

Right now I still have my kitty screened off in a bathroom with the door blocked off by a screen, which I feel bad doing. How long should I wait till I get her out and freely roaming my place?

Just let her out. Keep an eye/ear out for caterwauling but otherwise you should be good by now.

e: Rabbit Hill, it's too late for this probably but let her be. She's eating a little bit and that's enough. If she doesn't eat for like two-three full days then you can worry, but it's normal for them to avoid eating and eliminating when exposed to a new place. She's under stress and chasing her around will only make it worse. If you have got her isolated now though that's fine, it'll be easier for her to acclimate to a smaller space.

e:

Shifty Pony posted:

Stop being a helicopter parent. She's fine. I consider myself a total cat sperg and I do not worry anything like as much as some of you guys :psyduck: If she needs more stimulation she'll harass you, like when she comes in and meows. You pet her, she peaces out to have a nap, repeat. That there is one chill low maintenance cat. Enjoy it.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 30, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Stop being a helicopter parent. She's fine. I consider myself a total cat sperg and I do not worry anything like as much as some of you guys :psyduck: If she needs more stimulation she'll harass you, like when she comes in and meows. You pet her, she peaces out to have a nap, repeat. That there is one chill low maintenance cat. Enjoy it.

Oh I know that I am being silly. She is a great kitty.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

jemsy posted:

Oh thank god! So happy.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Update on kitty in hospital.

They called me this morning and said she didn't eat last night, but that she was doing better today and they're waiting for the doctor to get in to figure out what's going on. I haven't heard back today, but I just called and left them a message and hope that I hear back soon, so I can bring her home tonight :ohdear:.

So stressful...

EDIT: they're keeping her another night. Poor kitty. She also didn't eat string (they confirmed it), so I don't know what the gently caress. They mentioned the possibility of a respiratory tract infection, because she's puking up fluid from her lungs on occasion. Still hasn't eaten.

EDIT #2: I just adopted her last month. She's weaseled her way into my heart, even when she pounces on my head at 6AM. gently caress this weekend sucks.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 30, 2012

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

A one month update, and progress questions.

Both An and Sybil seem to get along, pretty much ignoring each other with occasional sniffing, chasing (I haven't really paid attention to who was chased and who was chasing), or a silent mirror image swat spar for like a second or two. Both will pass out on the couch next to me with no problems one on the armrest on on on top or on the cushion.

I assume this is normal for two random shelter cats given a new perma-home and still settling in.

Right now I feed them a 1/3 cup of Dry Beyond Grain Chicken twice a day. They don't seem to ask for more, and when i was giving them 2/3 as a free feed filled inthe AM, there'd be leftovers. This way seems that there are just a few kibbles left by the time i feed them a second time. Is this fine? They don't seem to be asking for more food.

In addition to water-bowls by the food, there is a kitty fountain, and Sybil will wait for me to turn on the bathroom faucet while I'm in there and get herself a drink.

I clean their litter-box daily, if not twice daily. I was reminded of this duty by being sick, skipping one night, and waking up to find a wet pillow on the floor.

Sybil loves to play, and will jump about 4 feet up a wall after a laser and also loves da bird. I usually play until she pants and let her chill for a bit.

An, however, doesn't seem to have any prey/play drive, but a HIGH treat drive, she likes greenies, freeze dried liver, or just about anything.

Sybil either doesn't like treats or have I just not found the right one?

Same seems to go for catnip, An ignores it, Sybil will roll in it and assorted other catnip activities.

So overall, I think I'm on the right path, any comments or concerns?
Is there a recommended brand of harness?

Sybil keeps peeking out the door sometimes, and I think we could go for walks.

And of course as payment for my questions, pictures!

An is a Lynx Point Siamese (You can watcher her left eye twitch towards being cross)

Sybil is a is a torbie catte of unknown breed? Here passed out on my footrest portion of my recliner, trapping me.

Edit:

Cosima posted:

Not sure what to call him yet though...

Mr. Rabbit of Caerbannog or Carob for short.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 1, 2012

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Update on kitty in hospital.

They called me this morning and said she didn't eat last night, but that she was doing better today and they're waiting for the doctor to get in to figure out what's going on. I haven't heard back today, but I just called and left them a message and hope that I hear back soon, so I can bring her home tonight :ohdear:.

So stressful...

EDIT: they're keeping her another night. Poor kitty. She also didn't eat string (they confirmed it), so I don't know what the gently caress. They mentioned the possibility of a respiratory tract infection, because she's puking up fluid from her lungs on occasion. Still hasn't eaten.

EDIT #2: I just adopted her last month. She's weaseled her way into my heart, even when she pounces on my head at 6AM. gently caress this weekend sucks.

So sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for Hypatia. x

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

toplitzin posted:

Sybil is a is a torbie colored catte of unknown breed? Here passed out on my footrest portion of my recliner, trapping me.

Brown tabby :eng101:

also this:

e: vvvvvvvvvvv Yes you are right. Mackerel is the stripe type though and brown is the color. Ridiculous humane society- torbies, torties, & calicos are like 99% female.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 1, 2012

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

also this:

Yep, that's a mackerel tabby right there.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

marshmallard posted:

Yep, that's a mackerel tabby right there.

Silly Humane Society. fixed that.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Eggplant Wizard posted:

also this:

e: vvvvvvvvvvv Yes you are right. Mackerel is the stripe type though and brown is the color. Ridiculous humane society- torbies, torties, & calicos are like 99% female.
Unless I'm reading wrong, it is a female cat. Looks like a torbie to me.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

marshmallard posted:

So sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for Hypatia. x
I didn't update the thread but I actually renamed her, because Hypatia just didn't feel right.

It's Tarski now. She was rolling over a book by Alfred Tarski when I came home and it just stuck.

Here's a picture of her giving me a helping hand :unsmith:

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 1, 2012

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Crooked Booty posted:

They are both shes...... :confused:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

toplitzin posted:

They are both shes...... :confused:

Oh derp, I read "Here passed out" as "He's passed out." I thought it was weird you had a boy cat named Sybil :downs:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Crooked Booty posted:

I would tend to agree.

And if An isn't from a breeder, I'd say that An is probably a lynx point DSH. That is not a very Siamese head. :)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I didn't know you could get Mackerel Torbies. So maybe she's one of those.

She's definitely a mackerel something though! She's got the classic M on her head.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

marshmallard posted:

I didn't know you could get Mackerel Torbies. So maybe she's one of those.

She's definitely a mackerel something though! She's got the classic M on her head.

Classic tabbies have the M on their heads too. (Trophy is a classic tabby, if you don't know what one looks like)

Mackerel tabby is a pattern. "Torbie" is just a nickname for a tortoiseshell tabby cat. A torbie can be any sort of tabby. She does look like a mackerel tabby though, maybe broken mackerel but her pattern isn't very distinct to begin with.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 1, 2012

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
My cat Koa ran away a month ago, and thanks to the humane society he is home safely! I got him back yesterday and drat if he doesn't look a little worse for wear, especially on his footpads. He is crazy needy too, I feel horrible leaving to run errands :( I'm curious to see if he is going to be interested in going outside anymore. I would like for him to be an indoor cat, this area is filled with tons of strays.

He's got a vet appointment tomorrow to check for worms and anything else, and we're already attempting to re-introduce him to his now very much larger kitten house mates, whom do not seem to remember him.

Other than that he is pretty and nice as always!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

want more? her pattern is really only spots on the belly

Do you have ANY idea how much belly I had to rub to get this shot?

Why are you looking at me funny?

I made her this box to get her out from under the couch, it works... sometimes.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I'm really worried about one of our three cats, Jasmine. She keeps throwing up, doesn't eat much, and hides under my mom's bed most of the time. I get that she's probably incredibly stressed out (our younger cat Sophia bullies her, and we're dogsitting for the next six months so there's a big dog in the house that none of the cats really like) but I don't know what I can do to help. :( At her last checkup the vet said she was healthy, if thin, which is why I'm sure it's stress.

Help me help my cat. It kills me to see her like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Honestly? Sometimes when a cat is in a living situation like that radical change is needed. Just off the top of my head. I don't know if you have any way to completely separate the cat from the other cat and the dog, but that's what I would do. Try and give Jasmine her own couple of rooms where you'll be able to spend a decent amount of time every day with just her, and where she *knows* Sophia will never be allowed in. Give her her own litter box, food, water, toys, etc and try that out for a week or two. At the very least, it could help you isolate the problem, and it sounds like it might be the best way to help her in the immediate future.

And of course try Feliway, that has a chance of just magically solving the problem if you haven't tried it yet.